Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR and Handball Rule changes 2020/21

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for PL season ticket holders. It is bad enough watching on TV.

I reluctantly gave up my season ticket in 2017 due to spending most of my time out the country. It hurt me so much after having the same seat since the SJH rebuild.

It doesn't hurt so much anymore, but I actually wish it did. I don't want part of me glad that I am not in attendance. VAR has killed the game.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Important not to mix the pudding -VAR has its problems with speed and the failure to use pitchside monitors but the main problem is the change to the handball rule.

The main problem is that attackers and defenders are treated differently -all handballs by attackers but only deliberate handballs by defenders are offences.

On Offsides VAR guarantees fairness and accuracy so every team is treated the same .Before VAR referees and their assistants made mistakes and gave into crowd and player pressure .

Whether the Souness suggestion of a clear gap is correct is a matter of opinion.I would like to see a change .

D

Deleted at own request member 8370

Ruining the game FFS! But it’s no surprise to me that nothings going to change, us and Norwich are the only fans that fully despise VAR. Fans of the other clubs all love it when it’s in their favour and only hate it when it isn’t.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
IFAB already have a sensible interpretation of the laws- it's PGMOL we need to worry about.
Agreed. If VAR stuck to the IFAB's "clear and obvious" standards for overturn, I strongly suspect there would be far less moaning about VAR. But they don't. Someone really should be empowered to ask Stockley Park "Why?", and to receive a cogent answer that is not at odds with ruling out the Neto goal at Anfield, which was in now way close to anyone's definition of "clear" or "obvious" - much less both.

Mind you, I hate VAR's involvement regardless. Sucks the life out of the game.

Warned you folks on here, having seen the same impact on US sports over the last decade. Shambolic.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Important not to mix the pudding -VAR has its problems with speed and the failure to use pitchside monitors but the main problem is the change to the handball rule.

The main problem is that attackers and defenders are treated differently -all handballs by attackers but only deliberate handballs by defenders are offences.

On Offsides VAR guarantees fairness and accuracy so every team is treated the same .Before VAR referees and their assistants made mistakes and gave into crowd and player pressure .

Whether the Souness suggestion of a clear gap is correct is a matter of opinion.I would like to see a change .
Can't quite agree on that.

The 'main' problem is we'll never, ever be able to really celebrate a goal ever again.

I didn't even raise a small cheer when we scored the winner against Southampton. Imagine that. Fully expected a VAR intervention and I think Adama did as well.

If that's the price we pay for keeping VAR. I'm out. I'll do something else with my time. There are tonnes of sports I pay little to no attention to. Sadly, football will just become one of them, like ice hockey, crown green bowling or skiing.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't quite agree on that.

The 'main' problem is we'll never, ever be able to really celebrate a goal ever again.

I didn't even raise a small cheer when we scored the winner against Southampton. Imagine that. Fully expected a VAR intervention and I think Adama did as well.

If that's the price we pay for keeping VAR. I'm out. I'll do something else with my time. There are tonnes of sports I pay little to no attention to. Sadly, football will just become one of them, like ice hockey, crown green bowling or skiing.
I was at the game and didnt celebrate. I was certain he would be “offside”. When it came up for another handball check i was gobsmacked. It ruins the game. I almost left anfield at half time for the same reason

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was at the game and didnt celebrate. I was certain he would be “offside”. When it came up for another handball check i was gobsmacked. It ruins the game. I almost left anfield at half time for the same reason
Yep. Same.
Imagine Bennett's winner against Bristol City.
Then imagine the exact same goal in a VAR game.

The thing that makes football the most popular sport on earth is going to be eroded forever. It's a big deal. Not a teething problem.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ref should just go over to the pitch side monitor, have access to freeze frames and use his eyes - but no lines to be used! If ref cannot do this then Stockley Park use their eyes - again no lines. Anyone can see clearly whether there's an offside and not worry about toes, hand, elbows, penis being offside. As for the handball - I give up. The single most stupidest rule change ever.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Same.
Imagine Bennett's winner against Bristol City.
Then imagine the exact same goal in a VAR game.

The thing that makes football the most popular sport on earth is going to be eroded forever. It's a big deal. Not a teething problem.
i was there too. one of the best moments supporting wolves. we would all be standing about hoping and waiting. imagine the cardiff away game and the penalties retaken for encroachment of a toe.....

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You cannot say its fair or accurate when we know theres an error in frame time with current technology of up to 10 inches
Thus giving offsides for 1 or 2cm is ridiculous
It has to be a clear and obvious error,thats the rule, and its not being used as such,plus pitch side monitors are rarely used by the refs
A simple 10 second look, without all the slide rule gizmos, would suffice for most instances,even handballs and penalties
If it takes longer than that its not clear and obvious,obviously

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All those involved in VAR are making a mockery of our game. It should be implemented the same as the rest of international football. I wonder if a "Turn your back on VAR" would work every time a goal is scored. All the emotional feelings are being drained from what should be a celebration.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All those involved in VAR are making a mockery of our game. It should be implemented the same as the rest of international football. I wonder if a "Turn your back on VAR" would work every time a goal is scored. All the emotional feelings are being drained from what should be a celebration.
Fans without tickets for a match should picket stockley park. Barricade Anyone from getting in.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re: Offside. The technology (frame rate, shutter technology, latency etc.) has limitations also when was the ball was "played" is open to interpretation so no it is no the same for every team and it is not foolproof. The lines might be accurate to one mm but the rest of the system is definitely not.

Now people accept this with any evidence, technical report or discussion being available is one of the scariest indictments of how easy it is to convince people of a point of view. The only part I have seen detailed is a very basic camera spec and Hawkeye line drawing technology. Every technology has tolerances, specifications and limiations expect VAR!

binners

Reaction score
I read somewhere that IFAB would consider withdrawing the licence to use it if their rules were not adhered to.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's interesting just how much VAR has worsened the experience of live football from a spectator's perspective.
After all, there can quite often be games, probably a big majority, where it is not really an issue. The disproportionate
negative impact seems to me to stem from two factors:

1. You literally cannot celebrate a goal for fear of it being struck off for a minute and subjective call by remote control. This fundamentally degrades the fan experience. I could see that watching the magnificent comeback on Saturday was actually unenjoyable and empty as I thought each of the goals and the penalty situation would be called back.

2. The key areas of contention, ie the new handball rule for attackers and the absurdly close offside calls both go directly against the spirit of the game as it has been played and understood for generations. Goals, the aim of the game, are being ruled out for no good reason. An element of irrationality, made only worse by the imprecision of the technology as regards offsides, has been introduced, which is counter to the innate flow and beauty of the game. Pieces of great skill are being nullified for no good reason.

The authorities need to be made aware of the depth of feeling and how egregiously the appreciation of the game is being impaired by VAR before there are more serious ramifications, whether it be a riot, or a longterm decline in attendance.

It is possible to "improve" VAR by interpreting the rules re. handball and offside in a more rational way, and in a way that conforms to the game as it has been played and watched for generations. However, the problem still remains of the disruption to the game for the fans, and the destruction of spontaneity when goals are scored. That is a more profound issue. Possibly for next season an experiment could be carried out where the interpretation of the rules is made more rational and VAR occupies a much lower profile. See if that solves the disruption to the atmosphere. If not, then scrap VAR.

Last edited:

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if nothing is done I for one will be thinking long and hard about whether or not I renew my season ticket next season. It’s killing the game.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sheff U penalty save v Man C....keeper clearly off his line before ball kicked...

...so why VAR not rule out?

Can recall Patricio's foot being scrutinised on his saves v Man C.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
The handball rule is just ridiculous. How can you interpret the same rule in different ways depending on whether you're an attacker or defender!
It's accidental for an attacker therefore it's a foul and no goal or it's accidental and you're a defender, no foul and play on.

VAR is needed. There is too much money, the game's too quick and the officials need help. But VAR in the current format (alongside the stupid rule changes) is not fit for the game. I can only hope that we see the error of our ways and improve next season. It may take 2 or 3 to get it right.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is disappointing but not altogether that surprising. The majority of footballing authorities are not particularly accountable or transparent, and that has fostered a culture of extreme sensitivity to criticism. What we are seeing is a doubling down on the laws of the game, as they are this season. The rhetoric coming from IFAB is implying "players and fans" don't really understand the laws, and if they did understand, they wouldn't be up in arms. Honestly, if there wasn't so much furore over the butchering of the game, I imagine they would be looking into reversing their changes. IFAB, FIFA and PGMOL are institutionally petulant.

Back
Top Bottom