Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

V Academica Coimbra 29/9/71.

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
I am looking for a match report /press cuttings from Wolves EUFA Cup game AWAY to Academica Coimbra 29 9/71,

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we scored 3 goals with ten men after Danny Hegan was sent off

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Rusty, I have the E&S reports of both the home and away games v Academica which I am happy to send to you. I have also found the E&S report of the Carl Zeiss away game! I have also found the E&S UEFA Cup Final Special Edition v Spurs which I hope will add to your collection. Please PM with your address. All the best, Chris.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Rusty, I have the E&S reports of both the home and away games v Academica which I am happy to send to you. I have also found the E&S report of the Carl Zeiss away game! I have also found the E&S UEFA Cup Final Special Edition v Spurs which I hope will add to your collection. Please PM with your address. All the best, Chris.

Great work Chris - I'm sure he'll be delighted. Molineux Mix works wonders again

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, really appreciate that.
I will gladly take any more press cuttings /match reports you may have from this era 67-75.
Regards Phil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of a fractious encounter according to John Shipley's book ''Wolves Against the World''.

Interestingly the referee Laurens Van Ravens only died in 2018 aged 96. Failed to give a penalty for the Portuguese keeper upending Dougan in the area, having earlier sent Hegan off for retaliation to a kick.
Seems he was no stranger to controversy having made a number of faux pas in the 1970 World Cup. He once ordered a penalty shoot out in a European game involving Rangers, having forgotten the recent introduction of the away goals rule, which actually gave them victory. (They lost the shoot out, but it was rescinded-no wonder 4th officials were eventually introduced).

Last edited:
S

ShropshireLad

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Try this. I’ve got a copy and it’s a superb piece of memorabilia. It cost £45 in the club shop:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Le...erers+newspaper+reports&qid=1578514248&sr=8-1
Pity it says Aberdeen on the cover but there’s a Wolves one as well, of course. You could also try to get it on Ebay.
Purchesed one of these a couple of years ago and to say i was disappointed in it is putting it midley it got to 1980and then just tailed off although it was only a couple of years ago has if nothing happned after 80.

S

ShropshireLad

Purchesed one of these a couple of years ago and to say i was disappointed in it is putting it midley it got to 1980and then just tailed off although it was only a couple of years ago has if nothing happned after 80.
OK, Rusty, it’s all about opinions and I can accept yours. I’ve got the updated version which has its added glamour but it’s the games from the 50s - 70s which appeal to me most, filling me in on forgotten memories along with the early days which I knew nothing about. And let’s face it, the 80s was the nadir of our existence so a bit of a pick-me-up in the 90s was fine. ;)

R

reanswolf

Didnt John McAlle ever score 3 goals for Wolves, 2 of them being in these 2 ties against Acdemica Coimbra?
I think his only other goal for us was in a 4-3 League Cup defeat against Man City.

I may be wrong, perhaps some saddo even more 'Mr Statto-ist' than me can confirm?

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt John McAlle ever score 3 goals for Wolves, 2 of them being in these 2 ties against Acdemica Coimbra?
I think his only other goal for us was in a 4-3 League Cup defeat against Man City.

I may be wrong, perhaps some saddo even more 'Mr Statto-ist' than me can confirm?

Spot on ya big saddo! 3 goals, 2 against Coimbra, 1 in each leg and 1 in that City game

R

reanswolf

Spot on ya big saddo! 3 goals, 2 against Coimbra, 1 in each leg and 1 in that City game
Whe-hey........I'm as incredibly sad as I thought I was :)-.

Again, I might be wrong but I am sure they were all same season, and perhaps the 3 games were all close to each other.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whe-hey........I'm as incredibly sad as I thought I was :)-.

Again, I might be wrong but I am sure they were all same season, and perhaps the 3 games were all close to each other.

They were, I'm beginning to think you're looking this up in a book and trying to make yourself look smart ;)

R

reanswolf

They were, I'm beginning to think you're looking this up in a book and trying to make yourself look smart ;)
Never read a book in my life, but its lickle fact that I remember from those wonderful 1970s.
I wonder how John McAlle recalls it, playing all those hundreds of games for Wolves and scoring 3 goals, all in a few weeks.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never read a book in my life, but its lickle fact that I remember from those wonderful 1970s.
I wonder how John McAlle recalls it, playing all those hundreds of games for Wolves and scoring 3 goals, all in a few weeks.
You may never have read a book but you sure as hell have written one?!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Phil, I have posted the reports you wanted this afternoon. I really hope you enjoy them. Chris

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Phil, I have posted the reports you wanted this afternoon. I really hope you enjoy them. Chris
Thanks Chris do really appreciate that my friend.
I am always on the look out for anything from the 67-75 era when i was a regular visitor to Molineux from my home in Liverpool.

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Big thank you to Chris (Northnorfolkwolf) for the AC match reports he recently sent me, really appreciate, once again only goes to prove what a magnificent site we are all on.

I am always on the look out for anything Wolves re the 67-75 seasons scrapbooks, match reports, press cuttings and Sporting Star Football Pinks etc etc ♥️

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom