Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Under-rated players

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are there are players that you wish we'd have given more time at the club, or you didn't feel were given a fair crack of the whip whilst at the club?

The obvious one for me is Jason Roberts. I don't recall him ever playing a first team game for us? But he was then sold (albeit at a good profit) and he went on to be a proven goal scorer.

I always quite liked Dominic Foley too. He always impressed me whenever he played, but I think he was just at the club at the wrong time. His chances were limited because he couldn't get in the side often ahead of Keane, Bully and Goodman.

On the other end of the scale, one of the older heads I would have liked to have stayed on was Hans Segers. He played really well in goal for us, and I loved his passion when playing. He'd turn to the fans and punch the air every time we scored and seem to love his short time here.

S

singwolf_1

Jason Roberts never played and I think was bought and sold for the same price. I'd nominate Peter Withe. Went on to great things after Wolves.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That Spanish midfielder we had from Valencia, right at the end of his career.
Bald i think, scored an amazing goal at the North Bank and generally looked a class above, but too late for him to break into English football.

edit: Fernando Gomez

Last edited by a moderator:
R

reanswolf

I always rated Mark Burke - oozed class but flattered to deceive at times. Never fulfilled his obvious potential imo.

T

thaibri2

Igot the iceman Inermarson, excuse spelling played in the prem for ages with Reading

D

Dewsburywolf

I always rated Mark Burke - oozed class but flattered to deceive at times. Never fulfilled his obvious potential imo.

Hasn't he been the lynchpin of our Masters team more recently

Chris Marsden to add to the debate

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WARNING! WARNING! .........This thread will shortly degenerating into a Milijas and Guedioura debate.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Marsden, Burke and Jason Roberts are good shouts

Charlie Mulgrew and Scott Malone were both never given a chance at left back. Both had v good spells at Southend where they were a cut above but were sold pretty quickly after.

Mark Davies was underrated by MM. Dave Jones was underrated by some fans imo.

D

Deleted member 4008

I think he was brilliant for us but I would have loved to have seen John Dewolf play in the Prem aged about 28 . I really can't think of many Defenders that have scored a hat trick can any of you ?

TheStalePolice

Reaction score
A couple of young boys in the early 1960s. Terry Cooper and Bob Wilson. What ever became of them?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Always thought Peter Shirtliff and Kevin Keen were relatively under-rated.

F

FLEET WOLF

People are suggesting Jason Roberts and whilst he has gone on to have a decent career, I doubt there are many on here who saw him play any games for us (and I mean reserve team games, because he didn't play in the first team). I think we should be talking about players who played a fair bit for us, but were always a bit underrated-a classic current example being Henry, who seems to divide opinion on here!

C

Craddockinho

Andy Keogh is banging in the goals for Milwall, 1 every 2 games.

Just saying.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Andy Keogh is banging in the goals for Milwall, 1 every 2 games.

Just saying.

Think he will always do well where the expectations aren't so high.

Fair play to him. Didn't think he had that finishing ability. Suppose it didn't help that he was $$$$ scared that if he missed at Wolves you knew what the crowd reaction would be from some. Then again, maybe he just wasn't mentally strong enough to cope with it.

C

Craddockinho

Fair play to him. Didn't think he had that finishing ability. Suppose it didn't help that he was $$$$ scared that if he missed at Wolves you knew what the crowd reaction would be from some. Then again, maybe he just wasn't mentally strong enough to cope with it.

Nail. Head.

Shame we couldn't get some ex-strker on the training pitch with him to work on his finishing and composure, whilst he didn't score a lot of goals for Wolves, he scored a couple of very important ones.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with this. Decent player. Weak mind.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Karl Henry - okay he has been given plenty of time, but he is severely underrated by a percentage of the fan base.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably because the ball kept going over his head.

Dougie Freeman is the one for me. I think he would have become a terrace hero but clearly wasn't the manager's cup of tea.

Stefan Iversen could have kept us up in my opinion, he was just finding his feet when he was banished.

And then there was Ryan Green, a player who was either completely over-rated or under-rated - I know not which.

He made his debut against Sheffield united I think, I missed the game as Billy Bragg was playing at the civic but post match just about everyone was purring over his sublime performance and that was the only highlight of his Wolves career.

E

Essex Wolf

Jason Roberts is the one that springs to mind due to going on and doing reasonably well at the highest level.

W

Woffles

And then there was Ryan Green, a player who was either completely over-rated or under-rated - I know not which.

He made his debut against Sheffield united I think, I missed the game as Billy Bragg was playing at the civic but post match just about everyone was purring over his sublime performance and that was the only highlight of his Wolves career.

I remember that game and he looked a class above the rest of the team (admittedly not that hard back then) until he got clogged for getting too ****y and taking the **** out of some gnarly old Sheff U warhorse. Thought we might have genuinely produced a gem at the time. Sad how mediocre his career was considering his potential. Bad attitude > talent.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Saw that game and Green did look a very good prospect but allegedly it all went to his head. I am pretty sure I also saw Bragg at the Civic afterwards if it was the Workers Playtime tour....you're a lightweight! :D

W

Woffles

Lee Mills.

Not that I saw much in him at the time myself but he went on to do a decent job for a few teams - notably the Bradford side that got promoted by beating us at Molineux.

Incidently, am I imagining it, or did we always seem to end a season by losing at home to a team that was getting promoted?

D

dazmanwolf

Ivar Ingimarsson proved to be a class player for Reading in the Premiership. Jason Roberts goal scoring history since he was sold says it all.

Temuri Ketsbaia was always good to watch especially if he was substituted. Seem to recall an incident at Palace when he kicked off.

E

extremewolf

i always had soft spots for the following players:
- fernando gomez (came at end of his career and never misplaced a pass),
- Denes Rosa , two good feet - looked like a poor mans alex rae but never really got a shout outside of cup games during the hoddle era when we really needed someone decent in the centre.
-Milijas - think he had bags of talent but our team was never good enough to have a creative passenger - didn't fit the young and hungry policy and 3 managers didn't like the physio reports he produced suggesting poor personal qualities away from training.. (drinking, smoking?)
- Mikkel Bischoff - could have signed from Man city and he looked quality alongside lescott
- seoul - again, a luxury player - wenger said he was the best player at highbury all season when we went there in the cup - strong in the champ but got picked up by the prem and then faded.

on the flip side - a good post - here are my fave head scratchers when it came to exciting signings.
- frankowski - the missing piece of the jigsaw
- sami al jaber - the saudi shearer who never got a chance IMO
- Guilherme Finkler - Brazilian wonderkid who never cut it
- Freddy Eastwood - seemed hungry with lots of flair but clearly fell out with Mick and was always pipped to the useless Stephen Elliot.
- Stepthen Elliot (see above)
- Robert Taylor - IMO our worst ever sigining - i'm sure he cost us £1m-£2m from Gillingham, a total donkey who never scored for us.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the way past - Alan Hinton; Bob Hatton; Peter Withe; Ernie Hunt

D

Deleted member 4152

Probably because the ball kept going over his head.

Dougie Freeman is the one for me. I think he would have become a terrace hero but clearly wasn't the manager's cup of tea.

Stefan Iversen could have kept us up in my opinion, he was just finding his feet when he was banished.

Freeman had a huge attitude tho, saw him in the lightbar plenty of times 'practising his lines'

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adam Proudlock is another who looked to have the makings of a really good player but threw it all away.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Ivar Ingimarsson - Looked class every time I saw him play for us, no idea why he was sold.

Rob Edwards - No world beater, but in some absolutely dire games under Hoddle he was one of very few players who looked like he was bothered and tried to make things happen.

Gabor Gyepes - Another one of very few players who looked good under Hoddle, shame about his injuries.

Denes Rosa - Again, looked like one of our better players under Hoddle.

Keith Andrews - His style of play didn't impress the knuckledraggers, but a good, neat and tidy player who since leaving has gained a repuatation for scoring the odd screamer.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Currently playing for Port Talbot Town.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From way back. Many players were not rated highly enough at the time.

Ted Farmer. Cut short through injury but he was shaping up to be a pheneomenal goalscorer. Rarely gets a mention today when the old teams are mentioned. He was also doing his best in the eighties to save the club. Long after his career had ended.

The late sixties and seventies sides had to contend with the legacy of the previous thirty, and several players from then were, at the time, given a hard time but would walk into many top class sides today. Certainly the current side at Molineux.

Terry Wharton was a really effective right winger and goalscorer. Often overlooked because of those who came before in that position and that Wagstaffe was playing on the other wing for a while.

The best side since the fifties, in the early seventies saw several who were given a hard time.

Mike Bailey was an outstanding captain and midfield player but, because the memory of Billy Wright, etc was still fresh he was unfairly compared to them.

Phil Parkes. Another who played in a European cup run with only one loss, (in the final) and saved two penalties in the run in. But he was often given a hard time. Again because of the comparison with Williams, Finlayson etc.

Geoff Palmer. Not the most delicate of ball players but another who developed into a tough and reliable full back in a side winning major honours and a top six side.

From the present crop there is little doubt that Karl Henry has had an undeserved amount of grief. I think it is now becoming clear just how important he is on the field of play. Not the greatest footballer and there have been times in the GL when the side performed without him, but a huge influence nevertheless.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are there are players that you wish we'd have given more time at the club, or you didn't feel were given a fair crack of the whip whilst at the club?

The obvious one for me is Jason Roberts. I don't recall him ever playing a first team game for us? But he was then sold (albeit at a good profit) and he went on to be a proven goal scorer.

I always quite liked Dominic Foley too. He always impressed me whenever he played, but I think he was just at the club at the wrong time. His chances were limited because he couldn't get in the side often ahead of Keane, Bully and Goodman.

On the other end of the scale, one of the older heads I would have liked to have stayed on was Hans Segers. He played really well in goal for us, and I loved his passion when playing. He'd turn to the fans and punch the air every time we scored and seem to love his short time here.

Always thought he looked like he could be decent. He's a cult hero in Belgium for club side Gent! He had quite a few successful seasons in the Belgian league.

Back
Top Bottom