Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Uncle George discussed on talksport .. again

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
About to discuss all his dodgy deals and fosun 15% share
But they are “not suggesting anything is actually dodgy”

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
About to discuss all his dodgy deals and fosun 15% share
But they are “not suggesting anything is actually dodgy”
Of course they’re not. Change the record, there’s plenty of actual news to discuss y’know.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting tiresome now. **** off Brazil and Co.

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
This is on the back of a Martyn Ziegler article in today’s Times.
The author is carful not to allege impropriety but does focus on our big 3 incomings and big 3 outgoings, showing that all 6 were brokered by Mendes. Also made apparent is what the agents earned at the Portuguese end of the deal.

One has to assume that Fosun feel that the link to Gestufute offers far more pros than cons, But , for me, it would be nice not to feel quite so reliant on him. Perhaps I am just of nervous disposition.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is on the back of a Martyn Ziegler article in today’s Times.
The author is carful not to allege impropriety but does focus on our big 3 incomings and big 3 outgoings, showing that all 6 were brokered by Mendes. Also made apparent is what the agents earned at the Portuguese end of the deal.

One has to assume that Fosun feel that the link to Gestufute offers far more pros than cons, But , for me, it would be nice not to feel quite so reliant on him. Perhaps I am just of nervous disposition.
We're not reliant on him. We have the same options as all other clubs in the open market plus more options through Mendes' connections. There's no exclusivity agreement, there's no downside.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a bit on the Wolves podcast that talked about the Mendes relationship in regard to the Silva deal.

Spiers, which I thought was a good point, said our scouting team had watched Silva for 2 years but the relationship with Mendes provides us with an avenue to these players which otherwise would be closed.

Think of some of the players we've purchased, hell even extensively linked with, such as Semedo/Dias/Vinícius etc. These are players we our guys have probably scouted, but in all honesty wouldn't have a chance of getting, unless we're regular top 4/6.

Mendes provides us with a seat at the table.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not alone in being totally relaxed about our relationship with Mendes. Out of all the agents he actually seems like a decent human being who takes great care of his clients and doesn't screw them over to make a quick profit for himself like so many seem to. He makes money out of it of course, that's why he's in business but if he was Satan as some quarters make him out to be then why do so many high profile people go with him. Nuno seems to be a pretty good judge of character and Mendes is his best friend. That's all I need to know.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There was a bit on the Wolves podcast that talked about the Mendes relationship in regard to the Silva deal.

Spiers, which I thought was a good point, said our scouting team had watched Silva for 2 years but the relationship with Mendes provides us with an avenue to these players which otherwise would be closed.

Think of some of the players we've purchased, hell even extensively linked with, such as Semedo/Dias/Vinícius etc. These are players we our guys have probably scouted, but in all honesty wouldn't have a chance of getting, unless we're regular top 4/6.

Mendes provides us with a seat at the table.

Don't let that get in the way of a good story. Mendes is the devil!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way it seems, Mendes is very good at his job and people who are very good at high paid jobs make a lot of money, no problem with that. If Mendes is deciding WHEN these players move than that's where there's a problem, but as far as I can see he's just working for his clients. The biggest issue it seemed from what I heard is that he can be working for the player and both clubs in the deal!

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agents have been around for ages ,it's a real racket but one clubs feel obliged to play if they want better players.

Obviously most of our fans aren't bothered as long as we seem to spending big..

It's impossible to make a judgement without facts and what we don't know is what we pay Mendes and if we don't pay him how does it work.

Fifa keep threatening to regulate and the agents don't want that.

As a minimum I would say agents should only be paid by the seller or the buyer .In addition to access we pay an agent to maximise the money we get (Doherty ?) or minimise what we pay out(Silva?).

Agents should never be paid by both sides -as there is clearly a conflict .

Mendes record on his clients getting into big trouble over tax is also well documented.

Fosun bought into Gestifute for one reason -to learn what he was up to.

Mendes presumably offers players to Nuno and there is a contractual relationship between them .

But quite what they talk about we will never know.

Last edited:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest issue it seemed from what I heard is that he can be working for the player and both clubs in the deal!
Tbh that doesn't worry me as long as the deal is equitable to both parties and freely agreed, its almost like a mediation in that scenario

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know that if Uncle Jorge was doing the same for Manure, Arsenal, Chelski or any other media darling it would be a stroke of genius.

A non supporting Wolves pal of mine picked up on how Sky got in a numerous digs at Wolves / Mendes working relationship during the recent transfer window, especially after their " sources " totally failed to pick up a sniff of the Fabio Silva deal.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This old narrative again,

So what shall we do - regulate agent fees and dealings?

Who shall we ask to do that - the old 'king of corruption' ..... FIFA?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What annoys me with the whole thing is that Mendes gets bashed in the press when he is doing nothing illegal or by now either the FA or UEFA would have been at him.

Do agents earn too much money? Yes they do. Should they be regulated more and there be some kind of cap on their earnings? Yes there should. Do they hold too much power in the game? Yes they do. However thats a discussion re ALL agents but the press seem to bring up Mendes at every opportunity.

Ultimately the club and its owners (along with the vast majority of fans) are more than happy with the link to Mendes as he's been an integral part in getting us to where we are.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes brokers a deal for Man Utd he's a genius.....
Mendes brokers a deal for Wolves summat dodgy going on....
Mendes brokers a deal for Spurs talk about the delightful relationship between Mourinho and Mendes.......
Mendes brokers a deal for Wolves underhand Mendes is pocketing loads of cash....

Same old double values all the time complete journalistic hypocrisy.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares what anyone thinks, if there were dodgy deals going on, they would have been uncovered, I would much rather deal with Mendes than that utter snake Riola, now he does actively unsettle his players, and quite openly , but because he deals with the media darlings, thats ok.
They ought to be looking at Everton, Villa , Spurs and Leeds for FFP breaches.
Bunch of overpaid gob*****s the lot of them.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found this rather interesting, maybe talk****e should take a look.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes brokers a deal for Spurs talk about the delightful relationship between Mourinho and Mendes.......
Mendes brokers a deal for Wolves underhand Mendes is pocketing loads of cash....

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall a single journalist predicting any of our Summer Window signings. Wolves do not reveal anything until it is done. I imagine that is frustrating for the journalists and knocking Jorge is one way of venting their ire.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would anyone give a hoot if we had a special relationship with some other agent or is it only dodgy because it is Mendes?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The media generally back the sky 6. When we came up and did well there were a few rumblings but it was ok, in a sort of ' oh look at Wolves, isn't that cute' way. We were anticipated to lose players and slowly slip away, like Southampton and others.
Looking at this summer's buys we are potentially becoming a threat in a couple of years and this is partly, (maybe largely), due to Mendes knowing what's happening in the market, his contacts and his seeming ability to talk players into joining us. Players like Semedo should not be joining Wolves,will be the thought process, so how are they doing it?
Also our dealings seem to be very private and despite Roseys regular comment, seem to happen as quickly and quietly as possible. You could easily imagine that as suspicious, if you think we're doing something underhand. Just compare our approach to Man Utds very public attempts followed by a last day trolley dash.
If we finish 15th this season no one will be interested. If we finish 5th I've no doubt there will be more stories about Mendes carousel etc.

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
I'm really not comfortable with the relationship and, if I was in charge, I'd terminate it immediately.

In life before Mendes, it never stopped us from signing the likes of Dave Edwards did it? We could have those days back again if only Fosun would act in an appropriate manner - and it would get investigative journalist Alan Brazil off our backs as well, so everyone can like us again. Surely that is more important than some damn 'project'

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not really all our deals seem to go thru Mendes.Arsenal going the same way with Joorabachian.The media are bound to be interested.

When a single agent represents a player ,both managers,a club and its owners are business partners there are bound to be questions.Ironically the one party to get the best deal (by seriously underpaying for Doherty )- Tottenham weren't represented by Mendes as far as we know.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There was also a piece in the Sports section of The Times paper today. Basically saying how suspect some of our transfer activity was with Mendes representing both sides in a few deals.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8913

The way it seems, Mendes is very good at his job and people who are very good at high paid jobs make a lot of money, no problem with that. If Mendes is deciding WHEN these players move than that's where there's a problem, but as far as I can see he's just working for his clients. The biggest issue it seemed from what I heard is that he can be working for the player and both clubs in the deal!
Except he isn’t....he is working for his client not any club and the clubs are aware of that...He used his strong connections at spurs and wolves to get a better deal for his client Doherty...not wolves not spurs.

D

Deleted member 8913

There was also a piece in the Sports section of The Times paper today. Basically saying how suspect some of our transfer activity was with Mendes representing both sides in a few deals.

Once again this untruth that he works both sides...he has not one client in the deal and if clubs think he is working for them they are wrong...he works for his client and himself.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What annoys me with the whole thing is that Mendes gets bashed in the press when he is doing nothing illegal or by now either the FA or UEFA would have been at him.

Do agents earn too much money? Yes they do. Should they be regulated more and there be some kind of cap on their earnings? Yes there should. Do they hold too much power in the game? Yes they do. However thats a discussion re ALL agents but the press seem to bring up Mendes at every opportunity.

Ultimately the club and its owners (along with the vast majority of fans) are more than happy with the link to Mendes as he's been an integral part in getting us to where we are.

Precisely. The world of agents is crooked game, and the guy playing it better than the rest gets a target on his head, that’s just how it is.
Top level operators in any industry will stretch every rule to breaking, exploit every opportunity and loophole, and take advantage of anyone that allows their selves to be.
That’s how they get to and stay at the top.

Clients love him, clubs turn to him to make things happen. Should he have that much power? Probably not. But he abuses it as much as circumstances allow him to, which is capitalism.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall a single journalist predicting any of our Summer Window signings. Wolves do not reveal anything until it is done. I imagine that is frustrating for the journalists and knocking Jorge is one way of venting their ire.
This is very true...yet somehow some numpties on here seem to think they have their own sources, or inside knowledge!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course they’re not. Change the record, there’s plenty of actual news to discuss y’know.
Can't talk about Sancho to ManUre for a couple of months so... I did see a report that the Dippers would look to step in next summer; that would be hilarious.....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This old narrative again,

So what shall we do - regulate agent fees and dealings?

Who shall we ask to do that - the old 'king of corruption' ..... FIFA?
Good luck to FIFA in framing rules that are compliant with national legislation worldwide and EU etc law too....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite bit with Mendes is when the press or opposition fans try and use Valencia and Monaco as benchmarks as to why we should stay clear.

Firstly he gave both clubs something they hadnt in years, success. Secondly both clubs fell apart because their investment withdrew. Once you are on the Mendes carousel you have to keep investing or it falls apart, its that simple. If you look at how he works in its a bit of basic maths. You start off with £6-10 million players at a lower level, those players propel you on and you sell them for double. Then you buy the next level of £12-15 million players that you wouldnt have got without his involvement and then they get sold eventually for double. Then you start buying the £20-30 million players that you wouldnt get without his involvement.

The issue is when you stop investing, the players he's got attracted to you havent got to the levels they want, the project has failed and they want out and the deck of cards comes down. This for me, wont happen to us because its much more of a strategic partnership with Fosun than with any of the clubs he's worked with before. Its not just us, its Grasshoppers and Familcao who are both indirectly in the Fosun family.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except he isn’t....he is working for his client not any club and the clubs are aware of that...He used his strong connections at spurs and wolves to get a better deal for his client Doherty...not wolves not spurs.
He got a great deal for Spurs-£14.7million

Is Semedo twice as good as Doc,is Rayan worth more etc

Not a peep about these things on Sky so good for Talksport I say.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see they arent bothered he has got players like Dias to Man City, Fernandes to Man Utd. Four or 5 players to Spurs? Why arent the **** wits talking about this? I wonder why?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see they arent bothered he has got players like Dias to Man City, Fernandes to Man Utd. Four or 5 players to Spurs? Why arent the **** wits talking about this? I wonder why?
Exactly. He isn’t just working for Wolves.

D

Deleted member 4152

Agents have been around for ages ,it's a real racket but one clubs feel obliged to play if they want better players.

Obviously most of our fans aren't bothered as long as we seem to spending big..

It's impossible to make a judgement without facts and what we don't know is what we pay Mendes and if we don't pay him how does it work.

Fifa keep threatening to regulate and the agents don't want that.

As a minimum I would say agents should only be paid by the seller or the buyer .In addition to access we pay an agent to maximise the money we get (Doherty ?) or minimise what we pay out(Silva?).

Agents should never be paid by both sides -as there is clearly a conflict .

Mendes record on his clients getting into big trouble over tax is also well documented.

Fosun bought into Gestifute for one reason -to learn what he was up to.

Mendes presumably offers players to Nuno and there is a contractual relationship between them .

But quite what they talk about we will never know.
So mendes deals with his players tax returns?

Back
Top Bottom