Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

UEFA EURO 2020 Thread

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Playing for a vastly better team, anyone trying to argue Grealish wasn't exceptional last year is having one. Foden was great hence winning the YPOTY award but so was Grealish.
Yes, I was just pointing out that you were rather selective with your facts, "goal involvements" and "appearances" suited your argument.

Grealish is a talented player, I'm not disputing that. It's just that I love watching Foden, Grealish just makes me feel slightly sick.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yes, I was just pointing out that you were rather selective with your facts, "goal involvements" and "appearances" suited your argument.

Grealish is a talented player, I'm not disputing that. It's just that I love watching Foden, Grealish just makes me feel slightly sick.
I mean i was objectively true on goal involvements, and appearances I should have checked minutes instead apologies. Yeah I vastly prefer watching Foden as well, better player for sure but Grealish absolutely contributes in all areas of attacking play.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would Grealish be as effective if he had to play on the right?

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Car sick, the amount of times he hits the deck. 20 years ago he would have been kicked around the park and would never have made it I the big game.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t suppose it matters a Southgate will play an out of form Sterling and Rashford - you just know it.
For what it’s worth, if we get a poor result in the first game and he is forced to make changes that may be our best hope. The future is bright, Bellingham, Grealish, Rice, Mount, Foden....just wish we had some great centre halves

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t suppose it matters a Southgate will play an out of form Sterling and Rashford - you just know it.
For what it’s worth, if we get a poor result in the first game and he is forced to make changes that may be our best hope. The future is bright, Bellingham, Grealish, Rice, Mount, Foden....just wish we had some great centre halves

He'll play Mount Foden Sterling, which is probably what it should be. We need someone to exploit spaces running in behind if we have mount and Foden as ball players.

Tbh as you say i imagine with it being a long season our attackers will be on rotation anyway.

Also regarding the future is bright. Grealish and Sterling are the same age.

Last edited:

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would Grealish be as effective if he had to play on the right?
If Grealish draws fouls then he'll be effective anywhere in international football. He does draw opposition players to him too, which can open things up for others.
The one quite major concern with him is that he's not played European football with European refs.
The prem refs blow up for fouls if a butterfly farts on a player. The European refs might not be so prone to give the fouls. In which case Grealish could be dispossessed a fair bit and would be greatly nullified.
Personally, I'd be more inclined to save him for the knockout games and then he'll be a bit more of an unknown and refs won't have had as much chance to suss what he does.
A set piece could be the difference between going through and going out at this level.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Grealish draws fouls then he'll be effective anywhere in international football. He does draw opposition players to him too, which can open things up for others.
The one quite major concern with him is that he's not played European football with European refs.
The prem refs blow up for fouls if a butterfly farts on a player. The European refs might not be so prone to give the fouls. In which case Grealish could be dispossessed a fair bit and would be greatly nullified.
Personally, I'd be more inclined to save him for the knockout games and then he'll be a bit more of an unknown and refs won't have had as much chance to suss what he does.
A set piece could be the difference between going through and going out at this level.

Yes i noticed this the other night, with the ref not blowing fouls, which would have been called at premier league level. (how the tables have turned!)

Yes set pieces are massive, it will be great to finally have players to bring on who can change a game... if used correctly.

D

Deleted member 11332

Got to be room for both in tbe England team.

Think tbe BBC team selected by tge punters gets both in. Would love to see tjose two and Mount in midfield with Rice sitting.

That team would get the walloped by any team with a half decent midfield pair. Modric and rakatic against basically rice as the others float about would be painful.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That team would get the walloped by any team with a half decent midfield pair. Modric and rakatic against basically rice as the others float about would be painful.

Would there be enough steel and posession in a Rice, Bellingham, Mount midfield? Bellingham looks very raw for such an important role. Or will one of Henderson or phillips go in?

D

Deleted member 11332

Would there be enough steel and posession in a Rice, Bellingham, Mount midfield? Bellingham looks very raw for such an important role. Or will one of Henderson or phillips go in?

As good as Bellingham is, he's naive defensively and wanders off. He did it 5/6 times against Austria and a better side would have punished it.

Henderson and Rice should be the partnership if England play a back 4 as that defence needs protection. Anyone running at those CBs are going to cause mayhem. If it's a back 3 you could probably go any combination really.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Rakitic has retired, will probably be Kovacic and Modric. Maybe Brozovic.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama not in the squad again for Spain. Is he still carrying an injury?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Southgate but he's gone up a couple of levels after reading this;

That's great from Southgate. Not sure how good a tactician he is, but he's a good statesman. I'm Welsh and I'm realistic to enough to predict that Wales won't win the Euros. I hope against hope but as much as I'd love it, I can't see a repeat performance from Euro 2016 either. Never been anti-England in tournaments but never exactly enthusiastic about them winning tournaments either. I'd love England to win this one though, because I like Southgate, and I like the cut of the gib of the English players, so I'd like them to overcome all the opposition they're getting at stadiums and on social media from English people and win the thing.

Not going to get into the debate, but I still can't get my head around the fact that they are getting booed by their own fans before every game and will continue to do so throughout the tournament. Was interesting that Wales players did the same thing before their warm up games and the fans respected them with silence. I know Welsh fans would never boo the Welsh team before a game. Me and every Welsh fan I know just find it unbelievable. So, (after Wales crash out), Come on England!

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Southgate but he's gone up a couple of levels after reading this;

Fair play. If his team play half as well as he has written this, we’ll be OK.

Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks for posting it.

D

Deleted member 11332

That's great from Southgate. Not sure how good a tactician he is, but he's a good statesman. I'm Welsh and I'm realistic to enough to predict that Wales won't win the Euros. I hope against hope but as much as I'd love it, I can't see a repeat performance from Euro 2016 either. Never been anti-England in tournaments but never exactly enthusiastic about them winning tournaments either. I'd love England to win this one though, because I like Southgate, and I like the cut of the gib of the English players, so I'd like them to overcome all the opposition they're getting at stadiums and on social media from English people and win the thing.

Not going to get into the debate, but I still can't get my head around the fact that they are getting booed by their own fans before every game and will continue to do so throughout the tournament. Was interesting that Wales players did the same thing before their warm up games and the fans respected them with silence. I know Welsh fans would never boo the Welsh team before a game. Me and every Welsh fan I know just find it unbelievable. So, (after Wales crash out), Come on England!

Nice sentiment. Though I can't see what's likeable about Harry Kane, grealish, rice or mings, personally. 4 absolute cretins.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The country will get carried away with potential England success, however, I just can't see us going far at all.

Having watched the two warm up matches, and I know we probably haven't played our top eleven, I haven't been impressed.

Watching the U21 final the other evening was a breath of fresh air. The skill level and commitment of both Germany and Portugal was light years ahead of anything England have produced.

I would like to see England succeed, but I just can't see it happening.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The country will get carried away with potential England success, however, I just can't see us going far at all.

Having watched the two warm up matches, and I know we probably haven't played our top eleven, I haven't been impressed.

Watching the U21 final the other evening was a breath of fresh air. The skill level and commitment of both Germany and Portugal was light years ahead of anything England have produced.

Wasn't massively impressed by Germany tbh. Few stars but looked more functional than anything to me

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Judging by the last two games they will need a penalty to score against Croatia so you need your best divers in. Him and sterling are probably the best two for England.
Don’t forget about Harry Kane’s signature Jump and Crawl tactic that not only endangers his health but also that of the defender that he’s jumping on.

D

Deleted member 11332

Don’t forget about Harry Kane’s signature Jump and Crawl tactic that not only endangers his health but also that of the defender that he’s jumping on.

He's a **** ain't he. Of all the footballers in the world he's the one I dislike the most, it's not even close. The fact he's England captain just completely turns me off wanting them to have any sort of success.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Nice sentiment. Though I can't see what's likeable about Harry Kane, grealish, rice or mings, personally. 4 absolute cretins.
Not really keen on using words that dehumanise people, especially when we don't know what they are really like, and we also don't know how we would act as relatively young men in an intense spotlight and under huge pressure. As a group I like the stand they are taking, but there will always be some bad apples. People love judging others from a distance more than ever now though and thanks to social media have the means to do it as much as they like.

Harsh criticism and abuse of the national team seems to be a particularly English thing. The English media (well the tabloids) have always had in for the England team and fans too. It's like they prefer them to lose. They even have government MPs publicly withdrawing their support for them (though to be fair they've probably never watched a football match, maybe a rugby game). Will be interesting to see if these the boycotts hold out if England keep on winning.

Maybe it's the higher expectations that people have. Wales have always been pretty crap but the players are never really abused by the fans, and whilst the Welsh media are professionally critical, it never turns into ridicule and near abuse like it does in the English press and social media.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a **** ain't he. Of all the footballers in the world he's the one I dislike the most, it's not even close. The fact he's England captain just completely turns me off wanting them to have any sort of success.
I don’t even understand why he’s the captain surely nobody can understand what he’s saying

D

Deleted member 11332

Not really keen on using words that dehumanise people, especially when we don't know what they are really like, and we also don't know how we would act as relatively young men in an intense spotlight and under huge pressure. As a group I like the stand they are taking, but there will always be some bad apples. People love judging others from a distance more than ever now though and thanks to social media have the means to do it as much as they liked.

Harsh criticism and abuse of the national team seems to be a particularly English thing. The English media (well the tabloids) have always had in for the England team and fans too. It's like they prefer them to lose. They even have government MPs publicly withdrawing their support for them (though to be fair they've probably never watched a football match, maybe a rugby game). Will be interesting to see if these the boycotts hold out if England keep on winning.

Maybe it's the higher expectations that people have. Wales have always been pretty crap but the players are never really abused by the fans l, and whilst the Welsh media are professionally critical, it never turns into ridicule and near abuse like it does in the English press and social media.

I know very little about them as people, mings is apparently a decent enough bloke. I can only comment on the stuff I see on the pitch or publicised incidents. My comment is purely on field persona of the other notable stuff.

I do want them to lose, then again apart from the occasional England away where I just spend the 3/4 days on the **** not being bothered about the match I'm pretty indifferent to the national football side so I'm starting from a different base than most.

Agree the media make it difficult for the team though, unrealistic expectations and when they are not met the players and manager gets panned. Talk of winning this year's euros and being the favs back that up.

D

Deleted member 11332

I don’t even understand why he’s the captain surely nobody can understand what he’s saying

Schoolboy captain. Give it your best player. He is England's best player by a distance. Probably the only truly world class one they have.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The gap between U21's and senior is huge. As we've seen with Vitininha.

L78

Reaction score
Midfield up front looks good but the defence looks woeful don't give me much confidence its either protect the defenders or just go for the kill with attackers and just hope we score more than the opposition

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Portugal v Israel in pre Euro's friendly on Sky Sports Football now..
Ruben Neves starts with Joao Moutinho, Nelson Semedo and Rui Patricio subs

Back
Top Bottom