Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Too much dependence/ pressure on Raul?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know we are all frustrated at the moment at the lack of serious reinforcements but Jeff Shi said action would come late in the day - risky but understandable in a fractured market where big clubs are still spending fortunes and the rest scrabble around looking for 'bargains'. So we have to hope he can pull deals off late in the day.

My particular concern is the assumption by some that now Raul is back as our main striker all is well and another striker signing is less important than a new CB or CM. Raul may get back to his best form sooner rather than later - its impossible to say. But should he pick up another injury or struggle for form it is still rather incredible that the club have still not signed up another proper senior striker alternative to either play directly with him in a 442 or at least to come on regularly in second halves to offer new impetus for the team and relieve Jiminez at times.

Cutrone is not going to make it with us and will surely be off on loan if someone will take him. Silva still has an enormous amount to learn and no way will be ready for regular duties up front till next season at the very earliest and quite possibly not until he is around 21 in two years time - assuming he actually does progress. The attempt to hype up his abilities and performances by many cannot hide the fact that he is still very raw and in need of much improvement. There is a crying need for a proper striker. Talk of not being able to sign anyone of quality because he will automatically be playing second fiddle to Jiminez, is absolute rubbish. All our rivals have proper competition on the striker front. Daka's signing to work with Vardy and Iheanacho is a good example of what is needed. Leicester were weak on alternatives up to that point compared to other rivals. Equally , on another front, where we are also weak, in central midfield, they signe Soumare for a ridiculously cheap (as reported) £17m when they have the likes of Tielemans, Ndididi, Maddison, Praet, Choudhury already.

For me Jimenez has continued to look isolated in pre season matches and the lack of a Jota- type player to dovetail with him is one of the reasons we find it so hard to score. Jiminez is a great guy and we have every reason to believe he will star for us again. But it will take time and we should be taking pressure off him not piling pressure on him by leaving him as the only proper striker at the club.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As right now all very true and quite alarming.

My only beef with your post is…. Please can we learn to spell his name correctly.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said this all along when discussing the need for a CB and CMF. We have no idea how Jimenez will react to the rigours of the Prem; we can't assume he'll be the same player and we can't just rely on Silva this season. I fully expect another striker in the next week or so.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't bring in another experienced striker (assuming Cutrone goes) then lessons haven't been learnt from last seasons debacle.

Hasn't Bruno already commented on this. The Raul situation in particular, that they cant do what they did last season again in having no back up to a key player getting injured. Suggests they are aware of the mistakes and they still have until the end of the window to show they have learned.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hasn't Bruno already commented on this. The Raul situation in particular, that they cant do what they did last season again in having no back up to a key player getting injured. Suggests they are aware of the mistakes and they still have until the end of the window to show they have learned.
Well they have until about Wednesday at the latest before we start throwing points away

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The fact that minimal has been done to address our main weaknesses so far would suggest to me that it’s not likely to happen. Just my hunch.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that minimal has been done to address our main weaknesses so far would suggest to me that it’s not likely to happen. Just my hunch.

I'm not going to make any predictions either way. They must know what we need and what Bruno wants and I would like to think work is being done to get our targets in. If that doesn't happen then I feel sorry for Bruno as he will have his hands tied with what is available to him.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's so wrong about keeping Cutrone?
I agree. I think it’s simple. If someone makes a realistic offer for Cutrone (not just a loan) then he will likely be sold and another experienced striker brought in. If not, he stays and is our cover. We have other more pressing places to invest given he’s already here, and playing.

T

TheConcourse

I’m stepping out here. I agree with you.

He’s not getting a run in the first team anywhere he goes. Instead of spending £15m on someone who will play second fiddle to Jimenez, why not just keep him?

This guy needs some love. He really does. Thrown around clubs every window will be shattering his confidence.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't do anything as we have the FFSHI issue :D
Having read SuperTed's Transfer Fees OP if we sell Mir, Cutrone and perhaps 1 or 2 lesser players (+ some change from the Patricio/Sa deals) that surely gives us some cash for a CH, CMF and a back-up striker?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m stepping out here. I agree with you.

He’s not getting a run in the first team anywhere he goes. Instead of spending £15m on someone who will play second fiddle to Jimenez, why not just keep him?

This guy needs some love. He really does. Thrown around clubs every window will be shattering his confidence.
Agree entirely.

Who realistically would we get who's better than him, considering he's most likely going to sit on the bench.

I like his movement. Maybe he'll come good? Who knows

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think first and foremost he really doesn't want to be here and an unhappy player is unlikely to be a successful one. His three loans since we let him go have also done little to suggest he is the answer to our striker problems.

I do however hope Wolves don't feel they have had their fingers burned too much over the Cutrone move, his general profile when we signed him was right and I think we should be looking for a similar profile now, it's just every transfer is a risk and Cutrone just didn't work. A young player with some scope to improve who has made an impact at first team level in a major European league.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having read SuperTed's Transfer Fees OP if we sell Mir, Cutrone and perhaps 1 or 2 lesser players (+ some change from the Patricio/Sa deals) that surely gives us some cash for a CH, CMF and a back-up striker?
That’s the plan coupled with the domino effect of transfers across Europe opening up some opps for buys later in August.

With a bit of luck the Barca and Inter fallout may create some real options - and keeping our powder dry with hindsight could be a master stroke.

I also think with hindsight not having our squad sorted until end of August is not necessarily a bad thing given the first 3 fixtures are arguably free shots against teams likely to be above us. The counter to this is momentum/toxic risks….and pressure it puts onto September fixtures.

Try and avoid looking at the table until November…

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I just pray we sign a proven striker . One that has probably played in Germany or France , Spain if not the Prem . As I fear a Kevin Doyle situation with Raul if it is dependent on him to score all the goals .

Doyle ended up burnt out.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the moment we have Raul, Fabio, Mir and Cutrone on the books.
Cutrone has done nothing while out on loaning, but if Mir wasn't on our books we'd all probably want to sign him. Not completely against the sale, but equally would not be happy with another willian jose type signing coming in rather than giving this guy a go.
If we let either of the last two go then it should be our number one priority, but until then it's the midfield for me.
If push comes to shove we can also stick Traore or Trincao there.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not going to make any predictions either way. They must know what we need and what Bruno wants and I would like to think work is being done to get our targets in. If that doesn't happen then I feel sorry for Bruno as he will have his hands tied with what is available to him.

I kind of feel this is exactly why we have Bruno, a yes man, and not Nuno. But that’s just my speculation.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What's the situation with Cutrone? (it's impossible wading through that transfers thread)

Are we looking to loan/sell or is he regarded as a genuine squad member?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's the situation with Cutrone? (it's impossible wading through that transfers thread)

Are we looking to loan/sell or is he regarded as a genuine squad member?
Until an offer that is reasonable comes in he will be with us, Bruno likes him

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there a decent, proven Portuguese goalscorer out there to be had ......... ?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just to inject a little optimism there is 109/1 available on Betfair for Raul to be top scorer this year. Take out Kane and Salah (if they got injured...) and that's quite an open market. An attacking manager? Raul taking penalties again? I've had worse bets...

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Jimenez has continued to look isolated in pre season matches and the lack of a Jota- type player to dovetail with him is one of the reasons we find it so hard to score. Jiminez is a great guy and we have every reason to believe he will star for us again. But it will take time and we should be taking pressure off him not piling pressure on him by leaving him as the only proper striker at the club.
Many Mixers were asking 2 seasons ago where the goals would come from if Raul ever got injured, so reliant we were on him? The first half v Celta was a throw back to that era, particularly the dire stuff of last season. Second half, though, provided scope for optimism. More players were getting forward and offering options, which will, in itself, take pressure of Raul. Nuno’s Wolves were not that good at doing this.

Donks comments in the E&S confirms that it is going to take time to learn Bruno ball. The whole set-up was built on caution, shape and defence with quick counter. Once the team start to ‘get it’, we will hopefully start to see more goals from different areas.

Back
Top Bottom