Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tom King

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That will be on the first of never. Having seen him on the Molineux pitch against Rennes l sincerely hope to never do so again. Him diving was less dynamic than a fridge-freezer toppling over.

He might get a sub appearance at the end of the season. It’s not wum to wish someone well after a new contract too many people on here filled with hate for other posters they don’t agree with.

King has been given a long term deal because the club value him as a person, no doubt a full wales international should get a Wolves appearance before those 3 years are up!!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Seems a weird one to me.
He's clearly not at the level we need... and there's youth goalkeepers like Louie Moulden who are probably on significantly less wages, with a massive upside if they happen to come good
Neil cutler is well respected and obviously thinks differently he also sees him every day in training which is a bit different from making judgment on a 5 minute appearance in a preseason friendly.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s obviously well liked and a good influence around the training ground and happy to be a number three goalkeeper, so I don’t see any issue with this. If Moulden continues to impress he’ll be out on loan again for the next couple of seasons anyway.

Reaction score
He might get a sub appearance at the end of the season. It’s not wum to wish someone well after a new contract too many people on here filled with hate for other posters they don’t agree with.

King has been given a long term deal because the club value him as a person, no doubt a full wales international should get a Wolves appearance before those 3 years are up!!
He's not a Wales international, been in the squad but never played. Not that that highly rated in the lower leagues, biggest thing going for him he's English so helps with our 'home grown' quota..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's not a Wales international, been in the squad but never played. Not that that highly rated in the lower leagues, biggest thing going for him he's English so helps with our 'home grown' quota..
Re your last sentence 'home grown' in football terms relates to where you did your youth training not your national identity.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a bad gig is it! Like Carson at City.
They say goalies are a different breed. I just can't believe outfield players would sign a 3.5 year deal knowing that they most probably will never play a game. Surely a professional sportsman takes up whatever sport to play it, not just watch from the side-lines?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They say goalies are a different breed. I just can't believe outfield players would sign a 3.5 year deal knowing that they most probably will never play a game. Surely a professional sportsman takes up whatever sport to play it, not just watch from the side-lines?
Yeah it is a bit strange in that sense, especially as he’s in his peak years. But I guess being a part of a Premier League squad is appealing when the alternative is playing in League One/Two? Probably on more money too.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah it is a bit strange in that sense, especially as he’s in his peak years. But I guess being a part of a Premier League squad is appealing when the alternative is playing in League One/Two? Probably on more money too.
Guess he’s on about 250k a year here as opposed to 80k in league 2.

He’d be mental to turn it down.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Will be about the money, like it is for the vast majority.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think you'll find that whilst he has been called up to the Wales squad he has never been capped.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Binned by Millwall. Binned by Newport. Binned by Northampton. Binned by Salford. Gets a 2 and a half year extension off us. Sa must be ****ting himself at the prospect of losing his appearance bonus.

I’ve said it before, nobody rewards mediocrity quite like us.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference being that Carson in the past was a first choice PL keeper and full international.
Yeah but City are on a different planet to us and he’s got one start and one sub appearance in 5 years, so it doesn’t really matter as the likelihood of your third choice keeper actually playing is extremely low.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but City are on a different planet to us and he’s got one start and one sub appearance in 5 years, so it doesn’t really matter as the likelihood of your third choice keeper actually playing is extremely low.
We could of at least gone for a big name to be third choice like Guillermo Ochoa Magana. Probably would be the best keeper at the club. Worryingly

Joking aside. He’s there to help the younger lads. That’s obvious. But I thought Bentley did the same thing? Why so many keepers?

The young lads out on loan will probably want to leave knowing their career at Wolves is just loan spells

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joking aside. He’s there to help the younger lads. That’s obvious. But I thought Bentley did the same thing? Why so many keepers?

The young lads out on loan will probably want to leave knowing their career at Wolves is just loan spells

He's here specifically so that those young lads can go out on loan rather than having to rot waiting for a spot on our bench when Bentley/Sa is injured. They're not going to leave because they think their path to being 3rd choice keeper is blocked by Tom King!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could of at least gone for a big name to be third choice like Guillermo Ochoa Magana. Probably would be the best keeper at the club. Worryingly

Three keepers is pretty standard isn’t it? I don’t think it does a young keeper much good being third choice, they’re better off out on loan getting experience. It’s not like young outfield players who can be given 10 mins as a sub here and there.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that’s the case why didn’t we sign someone from Wolverhampton Casuals?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's here specifically so that those young lads can go out on loan rather than having to rot waiting for a spot on our bench when Bentley/Sa is injured. They're not going to leave because they think their path to being 3rd choice keeper is blocked by Tom King!
One old head is enough. Ruddy for example (while he was here). Two old heads hard great competition for Sa (not).

Is what it is. I trust the club. How can we find the next Murray or Ikeme if they have no chance of getting into the match day squad.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tom king getting a new deal isn’t inspiring or anything to get the juices pumping…..

But

He is there to be an extra body for our homegrown quota, allows our juniors to go on loan and you should rarely if ever see a third choice keeper unless it is a pointless pre-season game. Plus if the worst were to happen, he is needed, while he isn’t a great choice and it would almost be “shoot on sight” season for strikers, he will be more ready physically and more importantly mentally to play a senior game than the kids we have.

The decision Makes sense, let’s not let the frustration of crap planning in regards to strikers muddy the waters on a move that makes a lot of sense strategically.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One old head is enough. Ruddy for example (while he was here). Two old heads hard great competition for Sa (not).

Is what it is. I trust the club. How can we find the next Murray or Ikeme if they have no chance of getting into the match day squad.

Because the next Murray or Ikeme will do well out on loan at another club, and if and when they do, they'll easily be able to get past King. This has obviously been done to help the young keepers.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange one on the face of it. One minute we haven't got a pot to **** in and the next we're giving long contracts to journeyman players. Just hope that like Baldrick, Hobbs has a cunning play.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because the next Murray or Ikeme will do well out on loan at another club, and if and when they do, they'll easily be able to get past King. This has obviously been done to help the young keepers.
I hope you’re right. Not sure the likes of Moulden will want to hang around too long though! Class shines through. He will get a lower half championship club easily.. (That’s all Wolves were when Ikeme & Murray broke through)

Back
Top Bottom