Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today's Guardian

O

Oxford_Wolf

Why is Cradock bothering with surgery now. If it means he will miss the rest of the season. Unless we are going to offer him another 1 year contract next year.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn't exactly get value for his last one year contract did we? Much as I admire Jody it would have to be a pay per play job or a free surely for next season.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's interesting to see a national newspaper finally saying the things about Johnson which have been said on here for the last 6 months.

An utterly disastrous signing by Mick, made worse by the equally ruinous decision to give him the captaincy before he'd earned it -- in fact before he'd even kicked a ball for Wolves. These decisions, which IMO are among the ones which lie at the root of our problems this season, ultimately cost Mick his job and us our place in the PL. Which will cost the club around 40m quid.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is Cradock bothering with surgery now. If it means he will miss the rest of the season. Unless we are going to offer him another 1 year contract next year.

Because if he's considering playing on then he'll want to get fit for pre-season, whichever club he may be with.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be pretty sure that one of the reasons Johnson came was because we offered him the captains armbard. A mistake yes, but not of the other MM ilk that have got us to this position. We would all have signed him, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, so I don't think the captain armband is a valid argument as one of MMs mistakes

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
'the £4m signing from Birmingham City has been a central figure in the team's decline. The defender's performances on the pitch have been hugely disappointing and he has proved a divisive presence in the dressing room. He has never looked like captain material and was disciplined last month for turning up to training under the influence of alcohol.'

I reckon that's quite scathing of his contribution (or lack of). Although in fairness, it's nowhere near as scathing as the things I've been saying about our captain all season!!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's interesting to see a national newspaper finally saying the things about Johnson which have been said on here for the last 6 months.

An utterly disastrous signing by Mick, made worse by the equally ruinous decision to give him the captaincy before he'd earned it -- in fact before he'd even kicked a ball for Wolves. These decisions, which IMO are among the ones which lie at the root of our problems this season, ultimately cost Mick his job and us our place in the PL. Which will cost the club around 40m quid.

Wouldn't have signed unless he was made captain.

Also Noone was moaning when he signed

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

True. But none of us are PL and ex-international football managers of 20 years' standing paid a small fortune precisely to scout players' football ability, captaincy potential, general attitude and dressing room presence. Mick is. Or rather was.

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
'the £4m signing from Birmingham City has been a central figure in the team's decline. The defender's performances on the pitch have been hugely disappointing and he has proved a divisive presence in the dressing room. He has never looked like captain material and was disciplined last month for turning up to training under the influence of alcohol.'

I reckon that's quite scathing of his contribution (or lack of). Although in fairness, it's nowhere near as scathing as the things I've been saying about our captain all season!!

In the great "is it or is it not scathing" debate I'll side with Wandsworth.
In the context of the Guardian's non-sensationalist style, that's scathing.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As part of his punishment for turning up to training drunk he should have lost the captaincy permanently. Personally wouldn't care one jot if he left at the end of the season but who would sign him now?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another great call from McCarthy. His poor performances are one thing but making him captain so quickly was a terrible mistake.

Wolfion

Reaction score
Although I am now fed up with the player of the day telling us that we'll get out of it etc, I never recall Johnson speaking to the press and surely as club captain that is one of his duties?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not strictly true. I remember people stating that Johnson on his own would be $$$$e as he needed Dann with him - they worked well as a pairing.
Absolutely correct mainly though before he was signed. It would have been very poor for us to rubbish him once he was signed but that didn't mean there were still the reservations.
What none of us could have envisaged was the divisive atmosphere his arrival and appointment as captain would make.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't have signed unless he was made captain.

Only on the second point...I $$$$ing did!!!!!
My gripe at the time was that Henry shouldn't be captain. Didn't mean I wanted that tool to take his place! Why take it off Jody anyway? He should have and should still be our Club Captain.

Last edited by a moderator:

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish someone would tell Jeff Stelling that it was £4 million we spent and not the often quoted £7 million.

P

paddy

how many arm chain webmong managers were screaming for morgan to splash the cash on johnson as if he was the final piece of the jigsaw....

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Although I am now fed up with the player of the day telling us that we'll get out of it etc, I never recall Johnson speaking to the press and surely as club captain that is one of his duties?

May be my memory playing tricks on me but I seem to remember him defending Karl Henry to the media after his substitution against Newcastle was greeted with ironic cheers.

Actually seemed to be around that time that RJ first lost the support of the fans so perhaps that's why he hasn't done so much since?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May be my memory playing tricks on me but I seem to remember him defending Karl Henry to the media after his substitution against Newcastle was greeted with ironic cheers.
Actually seemed to be around that time that RJ first lost the support of the fans so perhaps that's why he hasn't done so much since?
Spot on! It was all downhill for Roger with the fans after that. Mick also had a go at the knuckle draggers! You cant tell the fans they are being silly and stupid when they ARE being silly and stupid cos you wont win. Its ok for them to have a go but its not a two way street

Wolfion

Reaction score

Yes I seem to remember that, but surely if he wants to be captain he has to take all the responsibility that comes with the job. At the moment oher than standing for he pre mach photo I am not sure what he is actually doing as captian. He certainly is no leader of men that is for sure.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Yes I seem to remember that, but surely if he wants to be captain he has to take all the responsibility that comes with the job. At the moment oher than standing for he pre mach photo I am not sure what he is actually doing as captian. He certainly is no leader of men that is for sure.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but I'm guessing that the Club have realised that perhaps Johnson isn't the man fans want to hear from after the events of recent weeks.

To me, Johnson is guilty of two things. Firstly, the training incident which was hugely unprofessional and should, in my opinion, have seen him stripped of the captaincy. And secondly, that his form over the season hasn't been as good as the majority of us had hoped and expected it would be. Having said that, he has put in some genuinely excellent performances for us, but mainly away from home at places like Blackburn, Villa, Arsenal and Spurs.

It seems obvious that there are issues in the dressing room but I don't think you can blame this solely on Johnson. If one person can disrupt a whole team spirit, as has been suggested by many posters, then you seriously have to question the strength of some of our players' characters and just how strong that team spirit really was in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the Johnson signing hasn't worked out as any of us (including the man himself) would have hoped and it would probably be best for everyone involved if he moves on in the Summer. I just don't think he is the Anti-Christ and root of all problems that everyone is suggesting he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom