Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ticket Allotment

M

Matthew Tucker

Hi everyone - have read through this site for a number of years but I don't ever really post. This last week though, I've felt the urge to post my thoughts on our ticketing structure and thought it would be good to see if anyone has similar views or experiences such as mine. Apologies if this has been covered before..

To save rewriting I'll simply copy and paste the letter I sent this week to the club via email:-

Hello,

I've been a Wolves supporter for 30 years. In that time I've had a season ticket and been a member over countless seasons starting from being a 'Young Wolves' member in the 90's.

I live in Kent and travel up when I can between 5-10 times a season including away matches. I've never had a problem obtaining a ticket due to being a member (the reason I have and pay for the membership) Unfortunately to my dismay - I am very upset and disappointed to the ticket allocation procedure for away games (and home games for that matter) at Wolves.

Traveling from Kent means I have to purchase my train tickets well in advance to get a reasonably priced ticket as this can start as low as around £25 but can go up to nearer £70.
I purchased 4 tickets for me and three friends from Kent to Birmingham totalling £120 for the Aston Villa match this weekend. Plus another £50 on a hotel.
As previously mentioned I haven't ever had trouble obtaining a ticket in the past, but realised that the Villa game would be in high demand, but was prepared to stand by the phone and be online ready for when they went on sale to members at 9am.

I was shocked to see the updates by the club via twitter that it had sold out to season ticket holders days before it was meant to be available to members and then general release.
Does this make season ticket holders 'more valued' I for sure would be one if I lived local to the area, but over the length of the season I probably spend more than one would cost through my travel.

I don't believe this treats fans evenly and fairly and certainly doesn't give paying members a chance to go to high demand games such as a local derby.
This is why I pay for my membership - although appreciated I still aren't guaranteed a ticket, but would at least like to be given the opportunity to buy one.

Why is there no percentage allocation given to season ticket holders, members and then to general sale? I have never come across this situation as have always managed to get a ticket. A first come first serve basis isn't giving dedicated fans a fair chance of watching their beloved Wolves. The game would still sell out if there was a percentage given to members - so I fail to see the reasoning behind this.
I have asked numerous friends (who I have to say were also shocked at how Wolves ticketing procedure works) what their clubs do and for example Chelsea allocate 60% of away tickets to season ticket holders first and when they are sold they then go on sale to members and then to general sale.

Why aren't we implementing this at Wolves? I indeed wrongly believed it to be the way our system worked. I appreciate not everyone has my distance in travel and transportation expenses but this applies to local paying fans too. I strongly think this needs addressing and I'm sure there are many loyal fans like myself who feel rather hard done by.
I look forward to the clubs views on this - maybe it could be put forward to fans parliament (if it hasn't already?)

From a very disappointed Wolves fan

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although im sympathetic, take the emotion out if it and nothing that you say makes me think that there should be special dispensation for distant fans who may or may not go to away games.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Season ticket holders are more valued as they should be IMO, unfortunately 10,000 is never going to go into 2,500 so someone is going to be disappointed, I am a season ticket holder who goes away and I didn't get a ticket, no ones fault, just the way it is. The biggest culprits here are the train companies for their rip off price increases.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, I can't believe you're shocked. If you've been going for 30 years then you'll know it's standard for high demand games to sell out to the first priority category, especially local ones. I can't believe you've never had problems before, there's at least half a dozen games per season that sell out to season ticket holders, even now, most sold out to STH's when we were in the PL/winning in League 1. I go to 15-20 aways and even as a STH with the additional loyalty points you know you still have to be on the ball not to miss out.

I'm not unsympathetic, but it's naive to spend money and make plans when you should know how unlikely this game was to go on sale beyond STH's.

Last edited:

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never got a ticket either and I am a season ticket holder and live in Wolverhampton.ok I should not listen to some of you lot on here.We won't sell out its on sky at 5-30 and at £35 a ticket will stay at home or get ****ed in the pub.ect ect.Wanted to get tickets with mates on 1000pts so waited.It won't happen again :confused: Seems a bit unfair to people living far away.but at the end of the day a season ticket holder will most probably be at all the home matches as its been paid for,even if the team is playing poorly.The none season ticket holder can say **** it.:D

D

Deleted member 4456

Hi everyone - have read through this site for a number of years but I don't ever really post. This last week though, I've felt the urge to post my thoughts on our ticketing structure and thought it would be good to see if anyone has similar views or experiences such as mine. Apologies if this has been covered before..

To save rewriting I'll simply copy and paste the letter I sent this week to the club via email:-

Hello,

I've been a Wolves supporter for 30 years. In that time I've had a season ticket and been a member over countless seasons starting from being a 'Young Wolves' member in the 90's.

I live in Kent and travel up when I can between 5-10 times a season including away matches. I've never had a problem obtaining a ticket due to being a member (the reason I have and pay for the membership) Unfortunately to my dismay - I am very upset and disappointed to the ticket allocation procedure for away games (and home games for that matter) at Wolves.

Traveling from Kent means I have to purchase my train tickets well in advance to get a reasonably priced ticket as this can start as low as around £25 but can go up to nearer £70.
I purchased 4 tickets for me and three friends from Kent to Birmingham totalling £120 for the Aston Villa match this weekend. Plus another £50 on a hotel.
As previously mentioned I haven't ever had trouble obtaining a ticket in the past, but realised that the Villa game would be in high demand, but was prepared to stand by the phone and be online ready for when they went on sale to members at 9am.

I was shocked to see the updates by the club via twitter that it had sold out to season ticket holders days before it was meant to be available to members and then general release.
Does this make season ticket holders 'more valued' I for sure would be one if I lived local to the area, but over the length of the season I probably spend more than one would cost through my travel.

I don't believe this treats fans evenly and fairly and certainly doesn't give paying members a chance to go to high demand games such as a local derby.
This is why I pay for my membership - although appreciated I still aren't guaranteed a ticket, but would at least like to be given the opportunity to buy one.

Why is there no percentage allocation given to season ticket holders, members and then to general sale? I have never come across this situation as have always managed to get a ticket. A first come first serve basis isn't giving dedicated fans a fair chance of watching their beloved Wolves. The game would still sell out if there was a percentage given to members - so I fail to see the reasoning behind this.
I have asked numerous friends (who I have to say were also shocked at how Wolves ticketing procedure works) what their clubs do and for example Chelsea allocate 60% of away tickets to season ticket holders first and when they are sold they then go on sale to members and then to general sale.

Why aren't we implementing this at Wolves? I indeed wrongly believed it to be the way our system worked. I appreciate not everyone has my distance in travel and transportation expenses but this applies to local paying fans too. I strongly think this needs addressing and I'm sure there are many loyal fans like myself who feel rather hard done by.
I look forward to the clubs views on this - maybe it could be put forward to fans parliament (if it hasn't already?)

I understand what you're saying, but Wolves has the highest number of out of town season card holders per capita in the league according to Premier League stats from a couple of years ago. Where is the line drawn? Thousands of people travel to Wolves matches from the South East (and other regions) every week. The system might not be perfect, but nobody else seems to have any problem with it. I suppose if there was too much demand for Wolves tickets, a system of ticket balloting would have to be introduced. Fortunately we aren't at that point and those who go regularly, no matter where they're coming from, can purchase a ticket without problems. I have known the club to make special arrangements for people who call ahead for one-offs too, it's always worth getting in touch.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never got a ticket either and I am a season ticket holder and live in Wolverhampton.ok I should not listen to some of you lot on here.We won't sell out its on sky at 5-30 and at £35 a ticket will stay at home or get ****ed in the pub.ect ect.Wanted to get tickets with mates on 1000pts so waited.It won't happen again :confused: Seems a bit unfair to people living far away.but at the end of the day a season ticket holder will most probably be at all the home matches as its been paid for,even if the team is playing poorly.The none season ticket holder can say **** it.:D

L

LesDavies69

Personlly I think only 70% of away tickets should go on sale to STHs and then 20% to members and 10% general sale.

K

kwolf

Hello,

you have got more front than blackpool

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personlly I think only 70% of away tickets should go on sale to STHs and then 20% to members and 10% general sale.
"Sorry mate, yes you go to more games, yes you've put more money into the club, but we're holding your ticket back for someone who, whatever their circumstances, goes to less games than you do and puts less money into the club than you do"

M

Mr Wolf

How many games the last 3 seasons haven't made general sale? About 12 maybe out of 69 games is it.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry but you snooze you lose. I've never missed out on getting tickets but i do go away a lot. I'd be pretty peeved if a game i wanted to go to was given to someone who only made the effort to go away once in a blue moon. Rant over.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
when there is going to be more demand or tickets than there are tickets then some people are going to miss out however you do the allocation, reqarding those who go a lot doesn't seem that unfair a way to do it That said it does seem the rules for away tickets are different than for home tickets where rules say a certain % of tickets have to be made avail on general sale I think, so maybe the rules should be the same for away games, the demand for the geral sale one would undobtably be higher that the number of tickets so chances are you would still miss out, but at least I guess you feel you have a chance to get a ticket.

Villa could have given us a bigger allocation ?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I really do sympathise with you as my situation is very similar - I'm a member who lives a long distance away from Molineux and go to a fair number of home and away games. I know how difficult it can be booking trains and hotels. However, I think the club have to prioritise home and away season ticket holders. They can't please everyone who wants to go to away games with limited tickets and I think their way of allocated tickets is fair and widely used by other clubs.

That said, I think club membership schemes are total rip offs - having to pay just for the chance to pay again for tickets - the priority should be based on how many home and away games you attend, not a membership scheme.

M

Mr Wolf

Maybe just do points for away games then & don't add on the 1000 points for ST holders. Or start them at 20, members 10 then general on 0 & after 2 away games you'd have the same as a ST holder who doesn't go.

D

Deleted member 4382

I am a season ticket holder and travel a significant distance with my son.
STH's invest a great deal of money and time into their club. One of the perks is the chance to buy tickets before members.
I see it the other way to you where it would not be fair to STH's who invest (in my case) nearly 200 hours a season for home league matches alone, if they could not buy tickets for a match compared to members who pay a few quid for membership and want to cherry pick the key fixtures.
Get a grip man, put some proper leg work into supporting our club, instead of expecting to have a divine right to go to one of the most sought after away matches of the season. I'm truly flabbergasted by your email and hope the club think likewise... I'll certainly email them if take your comments on board.

PS, I missed out on tickets for today too, but I'm not whinging about it.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think every system is flawed but the current one is probably the best one.

Living in Derby I'm a reasonable distance away as a non driver but the club can't prioritise tickets on the off chance circumstances are perfect for me to get over for a game. Similarly, I'd say priority for away tickets is a perk of buying one and removing that would devalue the season ticket further - at a time where fan discontent with prices is rising it would be tantamount to PR disaster that even Wolves should avoid!

If you have the financial means I'd suggest buying the occasional ticket even when you can't attend, bump your loyalty points up and get into a better bracket when high demand tickets are released.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hey Matthew

I live in London, go to a lot of games but haven't had a season ticket for a few years

But since the takeover I thought I'd better get one even if I can't make every game

I was desperate to go to Villa but knew it would be touch and go. Was extremely disappointed and frustrated not to get one

But ultimately I could have got an away season ticket, and do have the opportunity to save my money and support the team at Brighton a few days later when I imagine the team will really need us

I wonder if we'll see such a clamour for tickets there?

Villa are taking 4K to Reading on the same night. How many will we take to Brighton?

D

Deleted member 4594

Why should I miss out on a villa ticket for someone who doesn't go as often as me? Sympathise with people who aren't local, but season ticket holders stump up the cash and part of the reason I always have a ST is because I know I'll get to all the away games I want to.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why should I miss out on a villa ticket for someone who doesn't go as often as me? Sympathise with people who aren't local, but season ticket holders stump up the cash and part of the reason I always have a ST is because I know I'll get to all the away games I want to.
Here here.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Season ticket holders should get priority for away match tickets after away season ticket holders - then members - then go on general sale . This is how our current system operates and I think its fair . Those that go most often should get priority its only fair .
That said , if the club could have taken a larger allocation for todays game they should have because there are alot of disappointed fans that would glady have been there this evening .

D

Deleted member 4382

Well, Matthew Tucker, I think consensus is quite unanimous.
Either get off your **** more, or stop whinging.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many are we taking to Brighton?

While I agree sky, prices, travel have made things tough some fans need to front up. You'll happily go to villa away on a Saturday but your team needs you just as much (even more?) at Brighton on a Tuesday night. We southern based fans have a duty to support the team when they're playing down here

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
I have spent years buying tickets in the home end if I think a big away game is going to sell out. I've lost count on the number of membership schemes I've joined or am still in - Rotherham,Brentford, Fulham, Leeds etc. If you want to get in, there's more than one way...

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I can't really sympathise
The way away tickets are allocated now is really the only fair way
I go to every game both home and away and away season ticket holder and if you got a ticket ahead of me for a big match would that realty be fair?

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many are we taking to Brighton?

While I agree sky, prices, travel have made things tough some fans need to front up. You'll happily go to villa away on a Saturday but your team needs you just as much (even more?) at Brighton on a Tuesday night. We southern based fans have a duty to support the team when they're playing down here
Fantastic response well done

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I couldn't get one for today not being a STH. My only slight gripe is that I attend pretty much all the home games, but because I sometimes bring one and sometimes two and occasionally three people with me it doesn't really work for me to have STH. The club used to be much more flexible about moving seats and of course long ago on a terrace it didn't matter. The system these days makes far more sense and is much fairer than the happy hours of freezing my wotsits off that I spent getting tickets for games by queueing years ago.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have spent years buying tickets in the home end if I think a big away game is going to sell out. I've lost count on the number of membership schemes I've joined or am still in - Rotherham,Brentford, Fulham, Leeds etc. If you want to get in, there's more than one way...

Spot on. Unless there's restrictions I'm not aware of, there will be a fair few wolves dotted around villa park tonight. I've not been in the away end the last few times I've seen us there, but I've been to the matches

Some of my favourite matches away have been trying to sit on my hands, losing control and then realising there were other wolves around me. Port vale away in the FA cup springs to mind, the whole row was wolves!!

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had season tickets for season after season after season. When we got relegated to the third division I didnt buy a ST in protest primarily because Moxey was retained as CEO. I actually attended 21 of the 23 home league games and I think 9 of the 23 away games. I couldnt get a ticket for Shrewsbury or the promotion decider at Crewe but I didnt complain about it or feel hard done by. It was my decision not to buy a ST and I accepted that it meant that I wouldnt get away tickets for high demand games. I cant see that Chelsea with their £50 tickets should be held on a pedestal for their enlightened ticket sale policy.

D

Deleted member 3545

Hello,

Tough this is life !!

Back
Top Bottom