Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fifa lifted the ban on TV showing matches live at 3pm Saturdays, probably to open up the chance of playing behind closed doors, if it becomes possible.
I saw this and I agree that it ironically opens the door to finishing the season behind closed doors!! I think the authorities/tv companies will be desperate to get this season done so they can move on but I still cannot see any way, whist social distancing is in place, how football clubs and their players and staff can even consider getting games on safely. I suppose once the peak has been reached and the death/infected figures hopefully then decline there will be a clamour for things to somehow get going again. Personally I still don't see it but it will be interesting to watch and see where it goes.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is next season's tv money at risk? Will games be ready to be played next season? How will teams be able to cope with no income and player's contracts still having to be fulfilled. I think they will abolish financial fair play as teams will be unable to comply. Maybe just maybe fosun would pump money in if it is allowed.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know this is a football forum but I don't really care too much how this will impact on footballers tbh. I'm far more concerned about how our high street will look in 12 months with all the small shops gone and all the local people having possibly lost their jobs and livelihoods (and some their lives).
Totally agree that people losing their livelihoods and some their lives is the real concern. Re the High Street
I know this is a football forum but I don't really care too much how this will impact on footballers tbh. I'm far more concerned about how our high street will look in 12 months with all the small shops gone and all the local people having possibly lost their jobs and livelihoods (and some their lives).
Totally agree re the high street and some sadly losing their lives. I hope what’s left of the High Street when this is over will get a welcome boost from people tired of faceless shopping from their sofa.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe not if as a result they get the remainder of their seasons wages. Also, as I said in my original post, it doesn’t seem to worry them when they are holed up in a training camp for weeks for an international tournament. There are millions of people furloughed at the moment with little or no pay, so they start from a relatively good position.

Do it safely and make sure their families are supported, and I don’t see what the issue is.

After the PFA’s response to the pay cut request, then I stand by this even more so. If players want their full pay then they will need to accept the need to play the remainder of the season out in whatever (safe) form possible. If that means testing them and holing them up on an island for 4 weeks, then so be it. If they don’t like it, they can take the government’s furlough money and see how far that goes.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Of course the PL want to finish the season it’s money oriented and also saves from a lot of legal issues

realistically though euro 2021 is locked in next season in June so next season requires to finish mid May at latest

Uefa won’t budge this unless health reasons, it’s their money spinner.

premier league could probably start new season latest September and cut the league cup and fa trophies to garner some extra weeks.

I really can’t see this season starting in June to finish end July for a month off in August

It shows how much they are panicking when discussing behind closed doors or World Cup style base ending.... this won’t happen at present, if you was a player would you leave your family putting your health at risk and theirs on your return? What happens when one player gets covid-19 during the restart? If Norwich go down with 5 players are their matches suspended? Still to play?

just very unlikely in my opinion to happen too many risks

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course the PL want to finish the season it’s money oriented and also saves from a lot of legal issues

realistically though euro 2021 is locked in next season in June so next season requires to finish mid May at latest

Uefa won’t budge this unless health reasons, it’s their money spinner.

premier league could probably start new season latest September and cut the league cup and fa trophies to garner some extra weeks.

I really can’t see this season starting in June to finish end July for a month off in August

It shows how much they are panicking when discussing behind closed doors or World Cup style base ending.... this won’t happen at present, if you was a player would you leave your family putting your health at risk and theirs on your return? What happens when one player gets covid-19 during the restart? If Norwich go down with 5 players are their matches suspended? Still to play?

just very unlikely in my opinion to happen too many risks

If you test every player and club staff taking part and then isolate them in a hotel / training facility for seven days before the tournament starts, the chances that any of them will get the virus are virtually zero, and lower than it is now while sat at home and getting by with their families like the rest of us. Neither they nor their families will be at a heightened risk from such a tournament as long as testing and team isolation is carried out.

There isn’t sufficient testing available to do this now, and it would take time to organise the logistics, but all that should be feasible by say mid May. It wouldn’t be cheap, but if Sky/BT withdraw their threat of withholding tv rights, then there’s plenty in the pot. Players can have a choice - take part or have a portion of their salaries withheld. Those are the terms many workers face who are required to work during this crisis.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you test every player and club staff taking part and then isolate them in a hotel / training facility for seven days before the tournament starts, the chances that any of them will get the virus are virtually zero, and lower than it is now while sat at home and getting by with their families like the rest of us. Neither they nor their families will be at a heightened risk from such a tournament as long as testing and team isolation is carried out.

There isn’t sufficient testing available to do this now, and it would take time to organise the logistics, but all that should be feasible by say mid May. It wouldn’t be cheap, but if Sky/BT withdraw their threat of withholding tv rights, then there’s plenty in the pot. Players can have a choice - take part or have a portion of their salaries withheld. Those are the terms many workers face who are required to work during this crisis.
You certainly could do this. Of course, should a player get the virus as a result the litigation will get very ugly very fast...

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

And the testing should be done on all footballers to ensure sport goes ahead than general public?

premier league alone there are 10 games for many so that’s minimum 5 week period plus say 2 weeks minimum fitnessed

Asking footballers be away from family for two months in this enviroment isn’t an option imo, what happens if someone wife gets it? they going to stay in camp? Who looks after the children

or you say it’s upto the players, id very much expect us to be on bad side of this as European players generally more family based than English players.

More to life than football st the end of the day and with uefa pressures I can see season needing to be ended by mid July latest which means restarting June and that looks VERY optimistic

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the testing should be done on all footballers to ensure sport goes ahead than general public?

premier league alone there are 10 games for many so that’s minimum 5 week period plus say 2 weeks minimum fitnessed

Asking footballers be away from family for two months in this enviroment isn’t an option imo, what happens if someone wife gets it? they going to stay in camp? Who looks after the children

or you say it’s upto the players, id very much expect us to be on bad side of this as European players generally more family based than English players.

More to life than football st the end of the day and with uefa pressures I can see season needing to be ended by mid July latest which means restarting June and that looks VERY optimistic

I agree there’s more to life than football, and testing for players should be nowhere near the front of the testing queue.

I think the concept here is not two matches per week as per normal, but rather quicker. Let’s conservatively say a match every 2 days. For 9 games that’s 18 days, plus a week for training and ensuring safety at the start. That’s under 4 weeks so no longer than a World Cup tournament which is already routine for many players.

Not saying I especially like the idea, but my original post said it was practical and could be done safely if the authorities wished to finish the season in an expedited manner.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to watch China,South Korea etc who have got on top of the pandemic and see how they get back to normal.

Picking dates out of a hat is pointless and so is wishing we can magically ignore the risks .

All we know is Euros are in June 2021 (tho whether they can use the same model of games all over the place seems doubtful) and World Cup in December 2022 .

If the Prem and Eufa want quickest finish to domestic leagues and cups,CL and EL then games will have to be played behind closed doors .

Football just making up dates isn't going to get anywhere -it's governments who will decide on social distancing and isolation and therefore resumption of sport.Naturally its way too early to say anything.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uefa now saying on BBC site that if restrictions still in place in Sep CL and EL could be abandoned? I think social distancing will certainly be in place so unless clubs/players come up with some way around this it looks like our first foray into Europe for 40 years may just peter out. If this happens I suppose we would have to start again in the new season when ever that is and whatever form it takes?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Uefa now saying on BBC site that if restrictions still in place in Sep CL and EL could be abandoned? I think social distancing will certainly be in place so unless clubs/players come up with some way around this it looks like our first foray into Europe for 40 years may just peter out. If this happens I suppose we would have to start again in the new season when ever that is and whatever form it takes?
Agree, I can see the sense in trying to finish the PL season but I think even once we’re out of lockdown social distancing and travel restrictions will be in place for ages, makes the European games a no go imo.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, I can see the sense in trying to finish the PL season but I think even once we’re out of lockdown social distancing and travel restrictions will be in place for ages, makes the European games a no go imo.
As I said on a previous post , I won't be going anywhere near large crowds for a long time after restriction start to be lifted , it's a recipe for disaster and kicking off a second wave of this awful virus. So even if they find a way of playing those last few games, I'll be at home thank you very much

WolvesKop

Reaction score
German football has resumed training.I guess that's something positive to take in.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Owners and chief executives in the championship have had initial conversations about a process known as group administration.Group administration would involve every Championship club being placed into administration on the same day. Staff would be temporarily let go. entire playing staffs would become free agents. The owners would then buy back the clubs and whatever players they wanted, it would need the agreement of all clubs but could possibly happen especially if the football ban goes on until near Christmas.

I would have put a link but it's in the Mail and I know the mods don't approve of Mail links.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is clear that the current problems has severely threatened the financial viability of many clubs. Some or many may not survive. Interesting to note that in 2018/2019 season Wolves' wages were 53% of turnover, this being the 3rd lowest (I think) in the Premier League. Other clubs spent up to 195% of turnover on wages - a shocking figure particularly as the majority of income for all clubs has dried up. Perhaps the gravy train has come off the rails....

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I would have put a link but it's in the Mail and I know the mods don't approve of Mail links.

Okay, I'll bite. I doubt very much that any link has ever been moderated simply for being a Mail link.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Owners and chief executives in the championship have had initial conversations about a process known as group administration.Group administration would involve every Championship club being placed into administration on the same day. Staff would be temporarily let go. entire playing staffs would become free agents. The owners would then buy back the clubs and whatever players they wanted, it would need the agreement of all clubs but could possibly happen especially if the football ban goes on until near Christmas.

You forgot to mention the likelihood of a players strike, the litigation the clubs would face for years from all of the players, and the major risk, given that they've breached contracts, that someone else (not necessarily from the Championship) might come and sign all of their best players.
More remotely but not impossible, they might face an investigation for acting as an illegal cartel.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reduction of points though surely
Except of course effectively not if the whole division do it... One exception being that teams, eg Leeds, Blues, who have previously faced punishment for similar reasons might be hit more harshly.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This might be the first and only season I can go on an all dayer at the Wolves on my birthday in early June.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always wondered since this started how they will get the CL and EL done? Looks unlikely to me now. When things start again I wonder if they will design the new competitions to allow all the remaining clubs to take part?

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always wondered since this started how they will get the CL and EL done? Looks unlikely to me now. When things start again I wonder if they will design the new competitions to allow all the remaining clubs to take part?

Initially they spoke about having mini tournaments in the two cities hosting the final -probably behind closed doors.

Meanwhile in Scotland trouble is brewing as there is a majority to end the season give the title to Celtic and relegate Hearts(see you in court jimmy).

Scottish Premiership clubs expected to back abandonment and give Celtic title

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Germany training but keeping social distancing!!!! Daft, but perhaps ok on a training pitch but how can you go from this to proper games? All involved would need to be tested before games but what happens after? All players, staff go into isolation to ensure they don't get the bug before being 'released' to play the next game? Just don't see it tbh and if the season is to be finished it would be awful for matches to be behind closed doors.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
W

WOMWOL

Interesting! SPL settling relegation issue by average points per game. I fully support this stance and it's definitely one the PL should follow. Bye bye villa

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
A big thing for me is testing. For this to go ahead, every member of every squad (and staff) is going to need to be tested between every game (so every 3 days).

With us as a country already lagging way behind on the number of tests per day we can perform, is it right that normally healthy footballers get priority over other members of the public?

Doesn’t sit right with me.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they abolish FFP it will open the door for us to win the league in 2 years instead of 5.

BigSteve

Reaction score
A big thing for me is testing. For this to go ahead, every member of every squad (and staff) is going to need to be tested between every game (so every 3 days).

With us as a country already lagging way behind on the number of tests per day we can perform, is it right that normally healthy footballers get priority over other members of the public?

I wouldn't see it as any different from the club paying privately for any other non-covid-19 testing or treatment.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bang on Tring! With the UK way behind on testing why should footballers get preference when the sick, vulnerable people, OAPs, the NHS, carers, essential workers all must be in line before them. Not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom