Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Worst Championship For Years?

D

Deleted member 3751

We hear people on about it year after year. 'This is the worst Championship in ages', then the following season, they say the same - 'This is a weak division'. My own opinion is that this division's overall strength hasn't wavered much at all down the years, and I think that this season's Championship is much the same, there are a couple of good teams who've come down, a couple of sides who missed out last year and are looking to improve (notably us), and at least one side who've got a bit of money.

I'd say it's reasonably strong, not the best it's ever been but not far off

So what's people's overall opinion so far? Do you think it's weak as far as the Championship goes or is it a slightly stronger one?

Obviously we're early in the season so no thought can be definitive, but thought I'd gauge people's early opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

No. 7 George Bowen

Reaction score
I think Reading and Bham have two of the best teams we have seen at this level since Fulham, Man City and Newc (the Keegan teams). If we finish above them it would be a tremendous achievement in of itself. I would also say BC, Charlton, Ipswich, QPR and Sheff Utd are also strong teams.

A particularly strong Championship this season and a testament to our fantastic start to the season.

H

haden-wolf

If we finish above the two of them george, i think we'll have got auto

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks stronger than last year to me. Brum and Reading, as mentioned by most, are both very good for this level. QPR are likely to spend big in the Jan window, and though most may laugh, I expect Derby to come on much stronger after a really dodgy start. Add Charlton and Sheff Utd and you have a strong, very competitive division.

E

Evolution Wolf

From what ive seen so far there are a few strong points in the league like Wolves! Birmingham, Reading, Preston and Bristol. But i wouldnt say its the strongest CCC ever

E

Edgmond Wolf

Sorry, but I do not care as long as we go up!!

IMO it is a strong Championship

A

Atlas 1951

If Hull and Stoke were still in this division, you certainly wouldn't fancy them to go up this year.

Then again, who fancied them this time last year?

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves were in their usual position at this time of the season - looking up, I would probably have already decided that automatic promotion was beyond our reach. Looking at the top 3 I would be quite confident that they would be the three contesting the automatic promotion places.

Sunderland, in recent years, have come from a long way back early on to go straight up but after 10 games you really need to be within reach and the way the top 3 are going there is likely to be a fairly decent gap between top 2/3 and the rest by 10 games.

This year's championship is going to be much like many other apart from the fact that there may be 2 or 3 teams who really are a little bit better than the rest. If so, the fact that most teams in the championship are going to lose 10+ games any team that comes under that is in for a decent season and I just can't see us losing 10 games between now and the end of the season and if we do we'll get what we deserve....nowt.

H

haden-wolf

Wasn't Ferguson quoted as saying all you could afford to loose was about 6 to be champions?

D

Deleted member 3751

Think he said something like that but then he's talking about a 38 game season with (at the time) only 2 or 3 realistic challengers. I think we could probably afford 9 or 10 defeats

M

Mr Wolf

Reading the other boards this season most of them seem to agree that this year it its a very strong league compared to last year.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Far from being weak, I actually thought that last season was a very strong championship, the fact that every team was capable of beating any other (Leicester tonking Sandwell Town being a good example).

I think this year is slightly weaker, the teams that were promoted from League one aren't as good as last year, but, the relegated teams seem to have kept the bulk of their premiership squads, so that may well balance it out.

S

Stewarton Wolf

Blues/Reading/Sheff Utd/Derby/QPR will all be a threat.

T

thekentwolf

I really dont care if this is the worst or best championship in years or even ever. As long as Wolves finish in the top 2 is what I care about.

G

glastofreak

Neil Warnock belives that the top two will stay the top two (from radio 5 live tonight)

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stronger than usual CCC this season. We need to play well all season - simple as that!

H

Hathwolf

To be fair, I think that the league is about the same as usual- not particularly stronger than any other year. I was just wondering, that if we weren't top at the minute and are where Brizzle are, would this conversation occur? Is it because we are doing well that people are convincing themselves that this is a harder league?

D

dazmanwolf

Right now we seem to be making the division look weak, but I hope its because of our strength and not the lack of quality in other teams so far.

I'd love us to walk this division, but its got to be on merit and ability, so it gives us a chance of performing at the next level.

E

EasternWolf

I think it gets stronger all the time. It is the home of the English game and long may it remain so.

J

JR's Boots

I think the division is very different to last year.

The spread between top and bottom last season was very narrow, with everyone bunched up and very little difference in quality between the teams. It was difficult to predict any fixture.

This season is panning out differently with a huge gulf between top and bottom and three or four teams, of which we're one, appearing to be of high quality. It's early days but I believe that the gap will grow and the top teams break away from the rest.

C

Cardiff Wolf

I think it gets stronger all the time. It is the home of the English game and long may it remain so.

Nail on the head EW, getting stronger aand more competitive all the time. Some fairly big clubs will go down again this year and any of 15-16 teams could make top 6. Only 3 or 4 are in with a shout of top 2 though. Jan transfer window will be very important for many clubs this year.

T

Thread Killer

We hear people on about it year after year. 'This is the worst Championship in ages', then the following season, they say the same - 'This is a weak division'.
Yep, people say this every year in an effort to appear knowledgeable. It's nonsense in my view. The quality of the championship varies year after year, probably getting a bit better some years and then a bit worse others.

Having said that, with Wolves top, this is clearly the worst championship in years.

Y

yammer

I'd say its stronger than usual as both Reading and Birmingham, unlike most newly relegated teams, have both spent a fair portion of the last few years playing in the Premiership. Last year had West Brom who were strong and that was about it. I'm pretty sure this years top two spots will be a 3 horse race between ourselves and the 2 teams mentioned.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, people say this every year in an effort to appear knowledgeable. It's nonsense in my view. The quality of the championship varies year after year, probably getting a bit better some years and then a bit worse others.

Having said that, with Wolves top, this is clearly the worst championship in years.

You are rubber, I am glue? :confused:

B

Bedford Wolf

The strength of the CCC varies as the season goes on.

It always starts off as the strongest ever, then come April it's the weakest it's been for years...

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strongest Championship in years, without a doubt.

Last season was one of the weakest, which is why I was somewhat vocal in my disappointment that we couldnt even finish in the top 6.

Sozzled Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the teams of B'ham, Reading, Derby, Charlton, Sheff Utd, QPR;

...then other teams who are building well/progressing i.e. Preston, Bristol City & Norwich,

I'd say it's a damn strong division this season.

And if we were to be promoted from this bunch, it'd set us up well for the coming season.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After we played the 7th match, someone produced a data which showed the top team after the 7th match for the past 10 seasons and how they finally finished in the table.
Can the same data be produced after the 8th or 9th match. Thanks before hand.

Back
Top Bottom