Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Treble Treble

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When is a treble not a treble......When it's Scottish footy....Well it will always be a question in the minds of our Scottish kin, but is it really a league of high caliber football? Oh! and are they capable of cheering their team on the bus parade....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When is a treble not a treble......When it's Scottish footy....Well it will always be a question in the minds of our Scottish kin, but is it really a league of high caliber football? Oh! and are they capable of cheering their team on the bus parade....
It’s all relative, isn’t it? They’re enjoying their day, not unlike Wolves this time last year when we won the Championship. We were over the moon.....actually howling at the moon, ......it’s what Wolves do, right?. In our DNA....lol
At the time probably few PL fans or clubs even cared we were promoted, let alone had a bus parade.
It’s all relative.
Italia90 and Ireland reached the World Cup quarter final and after they came home, 500,000 came out for the bus parade, while the Final winners drew a fifth of that in Germany.
So, in reply to your thread, it’s all relative.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Isn't it more the fact that they haven't had much competition rather than their own quality? All you need is two strong clubs and you have competition, however, the demise of Rangers over the last few years has meant no sustained competitors. Or am I being too simplistic?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Isn't it more the fact that they haven't had much competition rather than their own quality? All you need is two strong clubs and you have competition, however, the demise of Rangers over the last few years has meant no sustained competitors. Or am I being too simplistic?
I think so, I mean Celtic are good but like if you look at their record in Europe, they've not got out of the Champions League group since 2013, and a few times they've not even made it through the qualifiers. Be interesting who they get as manager.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Sorry, I clicked on this by mistake, I thought it was about David Bowie
Funnily enough, I only clicked on this because I thought Gary and Phil's father had died.

Edit: Unaware he died in 2015.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
It’s a great achievement but tainted slightly by how weak Rangers have been due to their relegations and financial problems.

That gap seems to be closing a little bit so it’ll interesting to see if they can keep it up.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather watch MLS than Scottish football. And that's saying something.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think so, I mean Celtic are good but like if you look at their record in Europe, they've not got out of the Champions League group since 2013, and a few times they've not even made it through the qualifiers. Be interesting who they get as manager.
Mary Berry is in the betting!!

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd rather watch MLS than Scottish football. And that's saying something.
I work with quite a few Scots and find it amazing how there is a good percentage who have a team they follow South of the border too. I wonder why that is?

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is hard to be impressed given the lack of opposition.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neil Lennon has been offered the post.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you have played football at any level you will understand what an outstanding achievement Celtic have completed.

Incredible history makers. Hail Hail!!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What Celtic have achieved is impressive, after all you can only beat what is in front of you. Having said that, the standard in Scotland is not that good. Apart from Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen, would any other teams in Scotland be good enough for the premier league?

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
What Celtic have achieved is impressive, after all you can only beat what is in front of you. Having said that, the standard in Scotland is not that good. Apart from Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen, would any other teams in Scotland be good enough for the premier league?
I don’t think Celtic would get promoted from the Championship, let alone play in the Premier League.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think Celtic would get promoted from the Championship, let alone play in the Premier League.

I think Celtic would be comfortably mid table in the premier league. They are the best team in Scotland by a country mile, and given the revenue available in England they would strengthen their squad. Maybe they p,ay in one of the weaker leagues, but Celtic are a massive club, as are Rangers.

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
I think Celtic would be comfortably mid table in the premier league. They are the best team in Scotland by a country mile, and given the revenue available in England they would strengthen their squad. Maybe they p,ay in one of the weaker leagues, but Celtic are a massive club, as are Rangers.
I don’t disagree that they would strengthen, but the team they have now I don’t think is better than any of the top six in the Championship. Just my opinion of course.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you have played football at any level you will understand what an outstanding achievement Celtic have completed.

Incredible history makers. Hail Hail!!

Nothing anti-Celtic here, but I really don't see it as outstanding at all, regardless of what level football I've played. You can only beat what's in front of you, but Celtic have had bearly any competition for a decade, and when they do face decent opposition in Europe they generally come up short, which illustrates the lack of decent opposition to them at home.

It's a year-long procession every season. If they make it a few rounds in to the Champion's League I'll be impressed.

The state of opposition for Celtic is harming them I'd say, as they're just not having to raise their game at all until they play in Europe and they're probably not prepared for it.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Celtic qualified out of a group ahead of RB Leipzig in the Europa League this year. The same RB Leipzig that finished 3rd in the Bundesliga.

Yet people try and say they can’t compete.

Trebles are extremely rare. They didn’t get them when Rangers were in the lower leagues, so how can it be diminished now when Rangers are back, and actually a decent side, look at their Europa run to see that.

Yet, because it’s the cool thing to criticise Scottish football we have all sorts of rubbish on here including that they’re a Championship side.

Also, Dembele is the latest former pub player to be linked with a move to one of the biggest clubs in England, as another two prepare for the biggest game in European football on Saturday.

For what it’s worth I think they’ve made a mistake appointing Lennon and I think Rangers could win the league next season.

We could end up playing both of these sides next season and it would not be easy, especially for example if we had a second leg of a knockout at Parkhead/Ibrox

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh the majority of scottish football is **** poor. Celtic have had no competition domestically for years, Rangers may be returning, but after them, who else can upset the Giants?

How long has it been since Celtic/Rangers didnt win the league?
How many players move from Scotland to England and fail?
How many players move the other way and succeed?

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Celtic qualified out of a group ahead of RB Leipzig in the Europa League this year. The same RB Leipzig that finished 3rd in the Bundesliga.

Yet people try and say they can’t compete.

Trebles are extremely rare. They didn’t get them when Rangers were in the lower leagues, so how can it be diminished now when Rangers are back, and actually a decent side, look at their Europa run to see that.

Yet, because it’s the cool thing to criticise Scottish football we have all sorts of rubbish on here including that they’re a Championship side.

Also, Dembele is the latest former pub player to be linked with a move to one of the biggest clubs in England, as another two prepare for the biggest game in European football on Saturday.

For what it’s worth I think they’ve made a mistake appointing Lennon and I think Rangers could win the league next season.

We could end up playing both of these sides next season and it would not be easy, especially for example if we had a second leg of a knockout at Parkhead/Ibrox
Agree except Celtic will win the league again. As for Europe you have to remember Celtic operate on a very low budget compared to any EPL team yet we box above our weight. Celtic get a few million for winning the league. How much did the EPL relegated teams earn, 70m+?

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree except Celtic will win the league again. As for Europe you have to remember Celtic operate on a very low budget compared to any EPL team yet we box above our weight. Celtic get a few million for winning the league. How much did the EPL relegated teams earn, 70m+?

Don't you think the fact that you expect Celtic to win another league next year already points to a lack of competition?

This is why I find it hard to be impressed, in the same way as PSG's latest title isn't impressive, the relative gaps to their nearest rivals are just too large.

This isn't Celtic's fault in the same way as you can say it is PSG's fault however.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pub league with a pub league mentality . Obviously the biggest and best by far in Scotland but when the opposition are totally crap its no big achievement . Neil Lennon getting the job sums up their standing in European football I.e very bottom of the pile .

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're great in Scotland but since Jock Stein they've been **** in Europe.

D

Don't you think the fact that you expect Celtic to win another league next year already points to a lack of competition?

This is why I find it hard to be impressed, in the same way as PSG's latest title isn't impressive, the relative gaps to their nearest rivals are just too large.

This isn't Celtic's fault in the same way as you can say it is PSG's fault however.

Like Man City will win the PL next year?

You could argue Liverpool might win the Prem, but you could also make a case for Rangers.

Also, PSG haven’t won every domestic trophy, showing how hard it is.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it Ally Mccloud who qualified for the world cup, when departing was asked "what he was going to do after the world cup?"
Replied "retain it" :D:D:D

A

Amiga-wolf

Like Man City will win the PL next year?

You could argue Liverpool might win the Prem, but you could also make a case for Rangers.

Also, PSG haven’t won every domestic trophy, showing how hard it is.

Man City will be favourites, but is by no means a given, and certainly the chances of Man City doing the treble again is unlikely.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed in the week Celtic were involved in yet another paedophile case. Even the BBC laid into them for their response this time, and this one doesn’t even come close to the details that were revealed in a court of law that they knowingly covered up paedophile activity and kicked out abused kids to save the so called good name of the club in the past.

Horrendous club.

I await condemnation from the professionally offended...

H

Honved

The team they had in Rodgers's undefeated season would have been comfortable in the prem. That season, their success was down to themselves, to good coaching, good players, and a good footballing unit. The team in it's current state needs a massive overhaul, the silverware this season has been as much down to the failure of other teams to capitalise on Celtic's weakness.

A treble treble can't be dismissed as easily as many fans south of the border will, in the context of the season they've had, it speaks to a massive resilience and strength of character to get over the line. But every Celtic fan I speak to is worried about next season, and the further weakening of the team as good investment hasn't been forthcoming.

However, the current state of Celtic aside, I think fans from England also often underestimate how big a club Celtic are. They're trapped in an ecosystem that's too small for them. They can't spend too much because it's not sustainable, there's no real money in Scottish football outside of the big two. Celtic (and Rangers, to be fair, I'm not being biased) in the EPL....their current teams would struggle, but if they could stay in the league, take in the kind of money on offer, and capitalise on their already-global fanbases, both teams could be huge.

Which Is why I argue against it. Wolves have enough of a challenge as it is. ;)

D

I noticed in the week Celtic were involved in yet another paedophile case. Even the BBC laid into them for their response this time, and this one doesn’t even come close to the details that were revealed in a court of law that they knowingly covered up paedophile activity and kicked out abused kids to save the so called good name of the club in the past.

Horrendous club.

I await condemnation from the professionally offended...

Child abuse to score points. Classy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom