Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Thrill Has Gone....

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
On my memories today a photo of me in Wolves reception smiling in front of the Championship trophy popped up. I was there as part of a very fortunate bunch of Mixers about to meet with Jeff, Laurie, Kevin and Sky. We were about to be given open access to ask what we wanted about the Wolves future and the Fosun Project....

We were on an absolute high, about to invest in supplementing an already great squad with real quality and embark on a season in the Premiership that held no fear. We were to end in a European Qualifying spot, serious talk of a state of the art stadium, being held up as the standard of success for a Global Conglomerate at their annual conference, getting within a whisper of that elusive FA Cup Final and wearing a classic adidas kit, before heading for the Far East where we were about to become the region's favourite other team.......

Roll on five years, we hit the Covid roadblock, three of those club representatives are no longer with us, fan engagement seems to have disappeared down a rabbit hole, the ground is looking sad and tired - a development free zone, our inspirational leader lost his mojo and we lost him, our league positions no longer threaten to provide a European travelogue, the quality of our recruitment is on a more expensive but increasingly downward spiral, our top assets are no longer sought after and their value is poor, the conglomerate has lost interest, we are no longer the exciting underdog threatening the established order, we are no longer exciting, we are boring and no-one would miss us, and the prices are still going up.

As Mike Scott (The Waterboys) once wrote, "We can't pretend there's nothing wrong, Who'll be the first to say it? That the thrill is gone...."

Last edited:

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
On my memories today a photo of me in Wolves reception smiling in front of the Championship trophy popped up. I was there as part of a very fortunate bunch of Mixers about to meet with Jeff, Laurie, Kevin and Sky. We were about to be given open access to ask what we wanted about the Wolves future and the Fosun Project....

We were on an absolute high, about to invest in supplementing an already great squad with real quality and embark on a season in the Premiership that held no fear. We were to end in a European Qualifying spot, serious talk of a state of the art stadium, being held up as the standard of success for a Global Conglomerate at their annual conference, getting within a whisper of that elusive FA Cup Final and wearing a classic adidas kit, before heading for the Far East where we were about to become the region's favourite other team.......

Roll on five years, we hit the Covid roadblock, three of those club representatives are no longer with us, fan engagement seems to have disappeared down a rabbit hole, the ground is looking sad and tired - a development free zone, our inspirational leader lost his mojo and we lost him, our league positions no longer threaten to provide a European travelogue, the quality of our recruitment is on a more expensive by increasingly downward spiral, our top assets are no longer sought after and their value is poor, the conglomerate has lost interest, we are no longer the exciting underdog threatening the established order, we are no longer exciting, we are boring and no-one would miss us, and the prices are still going up.

As Mike Scott (The Waterboys) once wrote, "We can't pretend there's nothing wrong, Who'll be the first to say it? That the thrill is gone...."
Sad but true :(

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Roll on five years, we hit the Covid roadblock, three of those club representatives are no longer with us, fan engagement seems to have disappeared down a rabbit hole, the ground is looking sad and tired - a development free zone, our inspirational leader lost his mojo and we lost him, our league positions no longer threaten to provide a European travelogue, the quality of our recruitment is on a more expensive but increasingly downward spiral, our top assets are no longer sought after and their value is poor, the conglomerate has lost interest, we are no longer the exciting underdog threatening the established order, we are no longer exciting, we are boring and no-one would miss us, and the prices are still going up.

Once it’s gone, very hard to get it back…

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep, that pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. Great memories looking back, low expectations looking forward.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Owners come and go. Managers come and go. Players come and go.

Supporters stay for a lifetime.

It is about memories and creating memories with friends, relatives and random people you sit/stand near.

Maybe our expectations are reduced but we are still supporters and we will make more memories in the future. If we have a dip then so be it.

Out of darkness cometh light.

UTW.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hear what you say but I’m just as excited about Man U(simply because it is the first game of the season) and every game thereafter than I was at my first game some 55 years ago

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Owners come and go. Managers come and go. Players come and go.

Supporters stay for a lifetime.

It is about memories and creating memories with friends, relatives and random people you sit/stand near.

Maybe our expectations are reduced but we are still supporters and we will make more memories in the future. If we have a dip then so be it.

Out of darkness cometh light.

UTW.
That’s a great post nail on head

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the original poster. However, let's put things into perspective. The outlook may not be too rosy at the moment but it could be worse, just look down the road at our once elated neighbours - now that would be something to really moan about!

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the original poster. However, let's put things into perspective. The outlook may not be too rosy at the moment but it could be worse, just look down the road at our once elated neighbours - now that would be something to really moan about!
But didn't their current woes start in a similar way to ours, initially?
This is why I don't generally mock rivals during their low times, things have a habit of turning very quickly and biting you on the rear!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post. This summer we've also seen a failed pre-season, a failed kit launch, issues with the ticketing site, etc. Whilst these could easily be explained away or co-incidences, conversely they could also be risk indicators, symptomatic of slipped standards owing to the tone at the top being set accordingly.

It takes strong leadership to disrupt negative trends, and whilst I have confidence in some of our management team, I'm not altogether convinced they won't jump ship for the sake of their careers

Last edited:

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But didn't their current woes start in a similar way to ours, initially?
This is why I don't generally mock rivals during their low times, things have a habit of turning very quickly and biting you on the rear!
Unless I missed something, I don't believe they ever had the level of investment that Wolves have had. Pretty sure their aim was always just to stay in the division and not kick on.

I accept that some think Fosun have given up at the moment but to be fair, they have put a fair amount of cash into the club which was certainly beyond my expectations. Whether it has been spent wisely or not is though a different argument.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless I missed something, I don't believe they ever had the level of investment that Wolves have had. Pretty sure their aim was always just to stay in the division and not kick on.

I accept that some think Fosun have given up at the moment but to be fair, they have put a fair amount of cash into the club which was certainly beyond my expectations. Whether it has been spent wisely or not is though a different argument.
Fair comment.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The escape from the jaws of relegation, the loss of favourites, players who have contributed greatly to our improved fortunes, and anticipation of a new season and new heroes, with even some excellent friendlies to whet our appetites, those feelings have all, momentarily at least, been submerged. An awful lack of communication, frustration at suspended activity and huge uncertainty going forward are responsible, and due to the bitter experiences we have witnessed of other teams, we can only fear the extent of our own moment of truth.
But it's a moment to count our blessings because we have known worse, and so have others, and I'm sure we can survive this next season and still have our place at the top table of English football. Beyond that we can only hope, because no matter who they are, in an uncertain world,no club, no one person, can be certain of anything.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It'll come back. The 50's were great, much of the 70's, the late 80's (albeit at a much lower level), Mick's promotion team, Nuno's first 3 seasons. It's all cyclical. What needs to happen now is Fosun selling to someone who wants to keep investing, not just to grow an asset, but to grow the club itself, the ground, the club's place in the City. If that doesn't happen then they'll probably spend the smallest amount of money they think they can to stay up. Let's face it, for most of us, for most of our lives, that's the most we ever dreamt of!

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Great post.

It's such a shame because we've got a real top manager in place but it appears we simply can't supply him with the tools to do the job.

If only he could have been appointed around the time Lage came in, I suspect the outlook would be very different right now.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always felt is was dependent on matters outside football. So didn’t expect it to last for ever.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
In jest, I posted a picture of the red pill blue pill conundrum from the matrix in the transfer thread today in response to a poster questioning if some of us are living in alternate realities…

Now upon further reflection that image can be used to pose a valid question to us today set against the backdrop of recent events at our club.

Put simply you as a fan you are offered a choice.

The blue pill represents Fosun never buying the club, an unknown future come what may. Good or bad. Hey who knows maybe we do a Leicester or maybe we are flirting with relegation in the championship year after year. Absolutely no certainties.

Or the red pill which is guaranteed to give us all of the highs we experienced with Nuno, including a dabble into Europe at the cost of facing the current circumstances we face now.

I’m choosing the red pill everyday of the week.

In relation to the theme of the thread I guess what I’m trying to say is is summed up by the old cliché …
“don’t be sad that it’s over, be grateful that it happened.”

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't you just meet up in a bar and pretend you don't know each other?

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In jest, I posted a picture of the red pill blue pill conundrum from the matrix in the transfer thread today in response to a poster questioning if some of us are living in alternate realities…

Now upon further reflection that image can be used to pose a valid question to us today set against the backdrop of recent events at our club.

Put simply you as a fan you are offered a choice.

The blue pill represents Fosun never buying the club, an unknown future come what may. Good or bad. Hey who knows maybe we do a Leicester or maybe we are flirting with relegation in the championship year after year. Absolutely no certainties.

Or the red pill which is guaranteed to give us all of the highs we experienced with Nuno, including a dabble into Europe at the cost of facing the current circumstances we face now.

I’m choosing the red pill everyday of the week.

In relation to the theme of the thread I guess what I’m trying to say is is summed up by the old cliché …
“don’t be sad that it’s over, be grateful that it happened.”
It may be an old cliché, but I hadn't heard it before. Thanks.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great post, thanks.

I looked at Leicester early last season where they had told Rodgers that he could not spend much, if anything. They still had very good players like Tielemans, Barnes, Vardy and Maddison etc but they struggled and went down with a good manager left high and dry, he won the Cup for them not long ago too.

We seem to be on a similar road as things stand, a season of struggle ahead and no money free to help out when maybe needed. We have wasted a large wedge over the last three seasons and are now possibly paying for it by restrictions. I see us as this new seasons Leicester, sadly.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm so angry about the state of the club. This may be a bit too reactionary, but I have just watched the E&S video where Liam Keen has essentially said that two parts of the club miscommunicated with each other and there is a possibility that if our last bid for Scott got accepted, we may have had to pull out of the deal. What the **** is going on? If two departments within a club can't even communicate properly with each other, what chance do we have!?

I renewed my season ticket, and I'll support the club no matter what division we are in, but this is clanger after clanger. We are simply an awfully run club. Jeff Shi needs sacking.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I’m just going to reminisce/tourtière myself. Have put on the Sky Sports Wolves In China documentary from 2019.

Glory days.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not that worried yet. I think our roster is still incredibly solid. We should get some more creativity with Sarabia being fit this year. Cunha should be stronger with being more fit this season. Neto has been looking like a threat since he's likely finally fit for once.

Yeah, I'm scared about goals. But I'd rather have Fabio and Sasa than Diego and Raul. Yeah, Chinquinho might have been our most dangerous forward, but if he wasn't, he'd likely have sat pretty quickly. He's much more likely to get minutes at Stoke than Wolves until January. He'll be like a brand new signing for free.

But I don't think we're bottom 3. We're probably 10th-12th, IMO. If we bring Elvedi and Scott only.. I still don't think we move up in the standings significantly. Our biggest threat to move up in the standings is a forward who will knock in the minimal chances we get. Maybe Sasa and Fabio can be those guys. We'll see.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much has changed but the realisation of how much it would have cost to constantly challenge the top 6 and then not have any guarantee wouldn’t have been lost on Fosun. Unless we get Newcastle style investment/ownership then we are at our level and always will be.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not that worried yet. I think our roster is still incredibly solid. We should get some more creativity with Sarabia being fit this year. Cunha should be stronger with being more fit this season. Neto has been looking like a threat since he's likely finally fit for once.

Yeah, I'm scared about goals. But I'd rather have Fabio and Sasa than Diego and Raul. Yeah, Chinquinho might have been our most dangerous forward, but if he wasn't, he'd likely have sat pretty quickly. He's much more likely to get minutes at Stoke than Wolves until January. He'll be like a brand new signing for free.

But I don't think we're bottom 3. We're probably 10th-12th, IMO. If we bring Elvedi and Scott only.. I still don't think we move up in the standings significantly. Our biggest threat to move up in the standings is a forward who will knock in the minimal chances we get. Maybe Sasa and Fabio can be those guys. We'll see.
I liked reading that. If we can sell a few more non-starters and get Elvedi and Scott in.. I am happy also.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
So much has changed but the realisation of how much it would have cost to constantly challenge the top 6 and then not have any guarantee wouldn’t have been lost on Fosun. Unless we get Newcastle style investment/ownership then we are at our level and always will be.
Exactly, we are still batting above our average vis-à-vis the last 30 years. In the next 5 years we may come to find that for all intents and purposes lower to mid table premier league is all we can achieve but as we all know you can only tread water in this division for so long. It catches up with every club eventually. Look at Leicester. At one point we will also regress to the mean.

Reactions: Ned

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're a hoot you lot.

It goes up and down. Hopefully we get more ups soon.

At least we're not stripey and **** smelling.

Back
Top Bottom