Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Striker Issue...

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
At the start of last season we all thought we needed another striker, but the goals kept coming. Bonatini did his job in the first half of the season, then stopped unfortunately, but Afobe came in and helped us get over the line. But everyone (Ruddy apart) scored.

This season we have had goals from Neves, Jimenez, Boly, Costa and Bonatini (League Cup) Traore, Moutinho, Cavaliero and Otto. That's 9 different goalscorers by the end of September. Add to which we have missed loads that should have gone in.

Too often teams rely solely on a key man to bag the goals, we didn't last season, and we ran away with it, why should we change now? OK more goals and less missed chances are going to improve things, but things are pretty good so far.

Opposition teams don't know where our goals are going to come from which makes us much harder to play and defend against. So long as it continues as we are I'm happy.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been very impressed with Jimenez this season. He may only have scored two goals so far, but he has led the line well and got himself into a lot of goalscoring positions. Hopefully the more he becomes acclimatised to the English game and settles down a bit, the more chances he will be able to convert.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jiminez wasn't able to control or hold up the play v Southampton as well as he has. But I like him, I've told everyone he's the 7th best striker in England, so need him to add a few more goals to his game to prove my point ;)

D

Deleted member LP 3925

So, we're not suffering from Elephantiasis. :)

Although some think our strikers are!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can anyone think of a striker in the Prem currently who can link play with the skill of Jiminez and Bonatini and also score 30 goals? unfortunately it tends to be a case of either/or.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There may not be an issue, but I still fully expect us to sign another central forward within the next 10 months.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There may not be an issue, but I still fully expect us to sign another central forward within the next 10 months.

And I reckon we will sign 10 more strikers within the next 10 years.

M

MattyWWFC

It’s very difficult to score more than 15 goals a season at this level. We don’t have a striker problem. Liverpool are coping fine without an out and out striker??

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I think there is a striker issue. I'm certain Nuno like the fans would have expected/liked us to have progressed in the EFL cup.

He will know what he needs to attempt to address in Jan or the summer window.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there is a striker issue. I'm certain Nuno like the fans would have expected/liked us to have progressed in the EFL cup.

He will know what he needs to attempt to address in Jan or the summer window.
I felt the bigger issue in the cup was midfield we were missing Neves and Mouthnio, we don't really have any other similar options in their positions

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I felt the bigger issue in the cup was midfield we were missing Neves and Mouthnio, we don't really have any other similar options in their positions

True.

We were though a lot better in the centre in the second half. Even then we had zero impact up front IMO.

D

Deleted member 4456

Can anyone think of a striker in the Prem currently who can link play with the skill of Jiminez and Bonatini and also score 30 goals? unfortunately it tends to be a case of either/or.
The way Bonatini ambles around the pitch aimlessly is truly a sight to behold. We need better. Hopefully the recruitment team has someone in mind.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True.

We were though a lot better in the centre in the second half. Even then we had zero impact up front IMO.
yes unless bonatini manages to get back to close to the form he was in first half of last season (which so far he doesn't look like doing) then he is the weak link there and in Jan we really need to look at a replacement, Jimenez is fine as one of the options up front,. with Cav coming back we at least now have the option of playing cav or Jota down the middle as a second option with the other out wide with either costa or traore on the other side

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say we had a striker issue but more so we have a composure issue in front of goal this season we have been very wasteful at finishing our chances and that’s not solely directed at our strikers that’s most of the squad.

WolfoftheWrekin

Reaction score
I think there's more of a front 3 issue if an issue at all? Jimenez and Leo link play extremely well, they also get goals (Not prolific) and give assists. Jota and Costa are not scoring at the moment and in the case of Jota not even assisting? They will come good again, soon I hope for Jota as he may become the next Leo for certain fans?

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yes unless bonatini manages to get back to close to the form he was in first half of last season (which so far he doesn't look like doing) then he is the weak link there and in Jan we really need to look at a replacement, Jimenez is fine as one of the options up front,. with Cav coming back we at least now have the option of playing cav or Jota down the middle as a second option with the other out wide with either costa or traore on the other side

Jimenez ain't too bad due mostly to his hold up play, but not the greatest, Bonatini doesn't do it for me (sorry Nuno!) and needs replacing. Not sure who would do the job for us though and not a lot of choice. Any decent Portuguese strikers available?

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am totally of the train of thought that believes you need big strong strikers but watching how we play week in week out I can see how my thoughts are getting outdated. We play like a five a side team with everyone breaking forward and nobody scared to shoot.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been very impressed by Jiminez so far. He may not be the desired ‘20 goal a season man’ but anyone with Jiminez’s clear attributes and also able to get that many goals will be out of our price range for the foreseeable future.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Rome wasn't built in a day, with the Financial Fair Play handcuffs in place we had to target our investment and STs are at an absolute premium. Silva looks like he would have been worth the gamble, but aside from that I would need names of a viable target we missed out on. This is the project, it is a 3-5 year deal and we are building. We all crave success but trust the process.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
There isn't necessarily an issue, but if we get a couple of injuries, there might be. The other thing is, we want to improve further and progress as a top flight club- therefore if we can get someone in that is better than Bonatini or Jiminez, we will get better overall. If the rumours were true about nearly signing Origi from Liver****- then Nuno thinks this also.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's bizarre this is still up for discussion
Could it be it is that rare manifestation called Afobeism. If so, it could run for longer than The Mousetrap which is in it's 66th year. Clearly this thread could be one for our great-great grandchildren.:D

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we still need a striker. But the way Jimenez set up Cavaleiro against Southampton shows to me his great strength, we just need cover for injury, competition and tiredness.

Some of Jimenez's shots on goal have been sheer quality.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It only becomes an issue if we get an injury or one of our current forward options continues to struggle indefinitely. Bonatini will be replaced in time I'm sure, but lets see how Costa, Jota, Traore and Cav continue to adapt to things over the coming months. Would you put it past Jota to start banging a few in quite soon, or perhaps Jiminez to get on a little scoring run? I certainly wouldn't?

In time though, I would imagine we will look to bring in someone who is better than most, if not all of our current options. It will be the same in central midfield, at wing back and in central defence.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess you only have to look at last season in the Prem to answer this
Only 4 players scored 20 or more
Only 6 scored 15 or more 2 of those were Man City players
Burnley finished 7th with 39 goals scored,several other teams averaged slightly more to finish mid table and better
So does anyone need the fabled 20 goal a season striker?
Probably if you want to finish top 4,even then not necessarily
Would anyone bet against Jiminez not scoring 10-15 goals this season?
Would anyone bet against Jota scoring a similar amount?
We have several others who will chime in with half a dozen or more im sure ,and you always have the 10 plus goals a season from defenders
So it doesnt take a Maths teacher to add that up to 40/50 plus goals this season,and given we dont concede that many either we will accumulate plenty of points,and thats what matters,drama? no drama.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's bizarre this is still up for discussion
Not sure it’s that bizarre, we have four wide forwards to cover two positions and two senior central forwards to cover one position. I think that’s a bit of a risky strategy personally, especially with so many people moaning about one of the centre forwards.

D

Deleted member 4152

We don't play with a 'striker'. We play with an interchanging front three.

Jimenez is very good in it, Jota, Cav, Costa are very good in it. Traore is getting there

We have moved on from looking at the likes of Austin and Mccormack.

I fully expect Nuno to sign another 'forward player'

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the ‘Elephant’ was trying to say we are not ‘clinical’ and too many chances are spurned :(

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
We don't play with a 'striker'. We play with an interchanging front three.

Jimenez is very good in it, Jota, Cav, Costa are very good in it. Traore is getting there

We have moved on from looking at the likes of Austin and Mccormack.

I fully expect Nuno to sign another 'forward player'

The thing is that these 'forwards' have to be able to strike adequately and find the net regularly. If you want make it to the top 6 and stay there it's goal power that is going to deliver it.

We are still talking each forward being good enough to score around 12+ goals each. This is very much like how Liverpool do it with their forward 3.

Back
Top Bottom