Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The slow death of the ‘Number 9’

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look down the list of top scorers in the Premier League 10 years ago, you’d see the names van Persie, Rooney, Aguero, Dempsey, Adebayor, Yakubu, Ba, Holt(!), Dzeko and Balotelli in the top 10. Players like Cisse and our own Steven Fletcher just outside.

Look back even further and the names of Shearer, Henry, Owen, Defoe, Fowler, Cole and Ferdinand dominate. Frank Lampard is also in the top 5 all-time Premier League goal scorers.

Almost all of these players played down the middle. Either as out-and-out number 9’s, as one of a partnership, or as attacking number 10's.

But take a look at the top scorers from last few seasons and you’ll see the likes of Salah, Son, Mane, Sterling, Aubameyang and Rashford up there. All players that start a lot of their games as wider forward players.

So far this season and there’s more players in the top 10 goal scorers who start predominately as wide forwards than there are central players. Goal scorers are changing, football is changing.

Liverpool have not played with an out-and-out number 9 for some time now. Man City are one point off the top, playing without a recognised centre forward all season.

Ronaldo and Lukaku were both benched at the weekend for one of Man United’s and Chelsea’s biggest games of the season. Both teams have arguably looked more functional as a unit without their top goal scorers, Chelsea in particular during their 4-0 win against Juventus.

Half Spaces

There was an article a few seasons back by Adam Bate talking about ‘half-spaces’ and how managers were becoming obsessed with trying to find them. The article talked predominately about Conte’s 3-4-3 and how it was perfect for countering the often-used 4-2-3-1 formation by positioning the wide forwards in the spaces between full-back, centre-back and central midfielder. Hazard had one of his best seasons playing in that ‘half-space’.

(Link to the article here: Why Premier League coaches are obsessed with the 'half spaces').

Talking about Hazard, the article ends saying, “It's the half space that has helped him to flourish and Conte's formation change that has helped his star player to find them. Guardiola, Klopp and the rest are still working on solutions of their own.”

Well as we now know, those solutions have seen Pep or Klopp win all 4 of the titles up for grabs since.

Whether you like or loath some of the terminology, both sides have typically relied on sweeper-keepers, full-backs offering width and creativity, a solid defensive midfield pivot, a variation of ‘attacking 8’ central midfield players, a ‘false-9 style’ central forward player and goals galore from their wide-forward players, coupled with constant pressing high up the field. That’s the recipe, with the finishing touches tweaked slightly by both managers (and the occasional world-class defender thrown in as garnish).

Despite his goal scoring feats, Sergio Aguero struggled to get game time towards the end of his City career, especially in the bigger games, with Gabriel Jesus regularly preferred to start. Pep has gone on record recently to say that as far as ‘pressing forwards’ go, he thinks Jesus is one of the best in the world.

The number 10 role is one that has really died a death in the last few years, with players either adapting to be able to play in a wider role (Foden, Mount, Smith-Rowe or our own Gibbs-White at Sheffield United), or dropping deeper to be ‘attacking 8’s’ like Odegaard has at Arsenal. Players that have struggled to adapt to a wider or deeper role have seen their careers nose-dive (Dele Alli being one).

Teams are preferring players that can fill both 9 and 10 roles, with the goal scoring burden shared across the front 3.

Roberto Firmino is a good example of a central striker who does the job of both a number 9 and a number 10 in the Liverpool side, finding that ‘half-space’ between defence and midfield, allowing the wider forwards the ability to cut in and fill the central space. Jota was always going to work at Liverpool due to his work rate and adaptability to play anywhere across the front 3.

That gives those strikers the ability to find another 'half-space' between the defence and midfield, with the centre-back often in two minds about whether or not to follow him in there and create more space in behind.

Teams that have tried to continue to play with both a number 10 and a number 9 have struggled to find fluidity in some games. It will be interesting to see if Man United continue to try and get Ronaldo and Fernandes into the same team no Rangnick has been appointed. My guess is there will be a high profile casualty, especially for the bigger games where team functionality is key.

Central strikers have to adapt, or they will die

Harry Kane is one player that appears to have taken that on board. Take last-season as an example, top scorer and top assists in the league. Mainly because he has been dropping deeper more than ever before in his career and helping to link play. He often played as a number 10/false-9 hybrid! This season hasn’t been ideal for him, but probably for other reasons. The way he plays he would arguably be the perfect signing for City (probably why he threw his toys out so much as he probably would’ve been guaranteed a title!).

Our own Raul Jimenez, despite playing with number 9 on his back, is anything but a traditional number 9.

Talking about his involvement in the goals against Newcastle, Bruno Lage said "Raul is a hard worker. In the first day when I saw him, he ran all over the pitch. He went from one flank to another, and I said 'look, you cannot play like that, we are going to play in a different way, and you are going to play more in-between the lines'. It was his best game, and he didn't score goals, but it was the best.”

Raul drops off the front, he is involved in the build-up play and is constantly linking with other players. We are very fortunate to have him. I’d go as far to say he is second only to Kane (ignoring current form) in the league as far as ‘complete’ centre-forwards go. He is so key to how we play, because of how he plays.

Jamie Vardy is one that is different to Kane and Raul and isn’t really an all-round striker, but what he lacks in helping with his team’s build-up play, he more than makes up for in work-rate. As far as pressing goes, he’s a machine.

I think the next few years will see these changes continuing and will slowly lead to the death of the old-school number 9.

Where does that leave us?

We will continue to benefit from having Raul, hopefully for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Fabio Silva already has question marks over him. But it may not be his development as a player that hinders him the most, it could be that by the time he gets to the level we need him, that his style of striker is almost defunct! He will need to adapt his all-round game to become a success, which might be why Bruno said this about him at the start of the season, “Little things he can understand better. The position. He knows how to work as a main striker. Maybe he can start to learn how to play as a second striker. Different little details – when to time his runs.”

This isn’t just a problem exclusive to Fabio. Players like Danny Ings, goal scorers who would probably always play best in a 2, are in danger of becoming luxury players, pigeon-holed into super-sub roles.

The biggest thing we have been missing since Jota left is goals from our wider forwards. Hwang seems to be one that can solve that issue and Neto will be a big bonus when he comes back into the side.

Neto is going to be the biggest beneficiary of these changes in my opinion. He can play anywhere across the front 3 already and he has an eye for goal. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up playing centrally in the future (hopefully for us!).

Hwang, Raul and Neto as a front 3 is a modern manager’s dream. All hard-working, high-pressing, intelligent footballers and well-balanced too with Hwang and Neto both cutting inside onto their stronger feet. That's the sort of front 3 that could get 30+ goals between them in a functioning attacking side.

A long one (sorry), but just some thoughts I’ve been having for quite some time and the Ronaldo/Lukaku situation at the weekend made me think of putting it all into a thread.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think another factor in the changes may also be nowadays defenders nowadays are probably quicker more athletic players and maybe also able to play out from the back a bit more, so to beat them the type of service in to the front players has had to change. I guess it's a bit like an arms race. Defenders get better at defending agaist they way teams attack so teams find new ways to attack to beat them and so it goes on

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great piece @WolfLing .
Some interesting points and food for thought.
And as for Raul, god, what a hard worker. Constantly hustling and chasing even near the 90 minute mark. But we’re wasting his energy and talent as he has to try to get the ball. Hopefully, with Podence starting more games, that will change as thry are staring to link up well.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great opening post, The biggest problem that Wolves and similar Teams (Leicester)have is holding on to the type of players we need (Jota) how we overcome that is our biggest issue and i have no idea how we can do that.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Great opening post, The biggest problem that Wolves and similar Teams have is holding on to the type of players we need (Jota) how we overcome that is our biggest issue and i have no idea how we can do that.
It is just about reinvesting much better, think we still need a top quality director of football but doubt that is ever in the offing.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really interesting stuff

Good article linked too. The mention of full backs occupying the half space reminded me of Doherty at times when he was scoring goals and creating chances. Jonny too to a lesser degree.

Semedo pops up in there from time to time but our current full backs generally don't seem to occupy those half spaces, which may be some of the reason why they're not as effective as we'd hope for coming forward

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really interesting stuff

Good article linked too. The mention of full backs occupying the half space reminded me of Doherty at times when he was scoring goals and creating chances. Jonny too to a lesser degree.

Semedo pops up in there from time to time but our current full backs generally don't seem to occupy those half spaces, which may be some of the reason why they're not as effective as we'd hope for coming forward

I think Bruno's approach to fullbacks is a bit different to Nuno's.

Under Nuno (when we were functioning well going forward), Doherty and Jonny often cut inside (now known as inverted wing-backs apparently!). This would mean they were often arriving in the box as another attacking player.

Bruno tends to prefer the wider forwards to take up those half-spaces inside and for his fullbacks to overlap as more traditional wingers. So plenty of crosses from them, but very little goal threat. They should definitely have more assists though.

Interesting to see how Bruno uses Jonny when he's fit. I'm not sure Bruno will like him on the left, as Jonny prefers to cut inside on his right foot. Could he be used at right wing-back/right-back as competition for Semedo?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s less about the death of the number 9 but more the rise of the wide forward.

The position that is dying is the traditional winger hugging the touch line not really involved unless they get the ball and whipping in aimless balls. A lot of what would have been wingers previously (Liverpool are a good example in Salah, Mane and Jota) are all encouraged to interplay and getting involved more.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if part of it is just that we don't tend to think of a player as a "proper" striker if they started off playing in another position, even for several years after they've moved.

I.e. Henry and RVP from your list started off deeper, so even they weren't considered strikers for a long time after they started banging in 20+ goals a season.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s less about the death of the number 9 but more the rise of the wide forward.

The position that is dying is the traditional winger hugging the touch line not really involved unless they get the ball and whipping in aimless balls. A lot of what would have been wingers previously (Liverpool are a good example in Salah, Mane and Jota) are all encouraged to interplay and getting involved more.

I think they go hand in hand.

To play in the front 3 of a top, top side, players will be expected to score 10+ goals from wide, be able to play the complete central role (Kane/Raul), be a creative or goal scoring false 9 type (Foden/Firmino) or be adaptable enough to play anywhere across the front 3 (Jota).

As you say, traditional wingers will struggle too.

That's the biggest argument against Adama. Unless he adapts his game to be an effective inside forward, capable of scoring consistently, he becomes an enigma, a positional anomaly.

The way football is going, I'd bet on him moving to a side in Europe, struggling to get in the first XI due to lack of output and then either being sold to a lesser side with less expectation of output, or played at fullback in a similar way to how other traditional wingers like Antonio Valencia or Ashley Young ended their careers.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if part of it is just that we don't tend to think of a player as a "proper" striker if they started off playing in another position, even for several years after they've moved.

I.e. Henry and RVP from your list started off deeper, so even they weren't considered strikers for a long time after they started banging in 20+ goals a season.

Antonio another one. Now one of the most effective all-round centre forwards in the league, but still feels like he's just filling in!!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they go hand in hand.

To play in the front 3 of a top, top side, players will be expected to score 10+ goals from wide, be able to play the complete central role (Kane/Raul), be a creative or goal scoring false 9 type (Foden/Firmino) or be adaptable enough to play anywhere across the front 3 (Jota).

As you say, traditional wingers will struggle too.

That's the biggest argument against Adama. Unless he adapts his game to be an effective inside forward, capable of scoring consistently, he becomes an enigma, a positional anomaly.

The way football is going, I'd bet on him moving to a side in Europe, struggling to get in the first XI due to lack of output and then either being sold to a lesser side with less expectation of output, or played at fullback in a similar way to how other traditional wingers like Antonio Valencia or Ashley Young ended their careers.
Totally agree with your assessment of Adama. His best work under nuno was second season with a load of assists for Jiminez goals with traditional wing play (several goals getting to the by line and floating a ball for Raul). I actually think that’s why Bruno isn’t playing him as he doesn’t think he’s as effective playing as a forward in the “space”

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know about the number 9, but the number 2 is still around. Need to get that fixed... :D

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with your assessment of Adama. His best work under nuno was second season with a load of assists for Jiminez goals with traditional wing play (several goals getting to the by line and floating a ball for Raul). I actually think that’s why Bruno isn’t playing him as he doesn’t think he’s as effective playing as a forward in the “space”

And it would also explain why he's (for) now being used as a RWB, where the onus is on him to overlap, hug the touchline, and put a ball into the box to the three forwards.

Personally,I think Bruno feels that a LHS of RAN + Adama would be too unbalanced and open. Marcal falling out of the side coincides with Adama being left out.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And it would also explain why he's (for) now being used as a RWB, where the onus is on him to overlap, hug the touchline, and put a ball into the box to the three forwards.

Personally,I think Bruno feels that a LHS of RAN + Adama would be too unbalanced and open. Marcal falling out of the side coincides with Adama being left out.

I think playing as a wing-back in a Nuno side has put him off the idea completely. That's why he looks so disinterested when playing there. When in fact, playing there for a Bruno side would play to his strengths massively.

Given all his attributes, as more of a right sided midfielder in a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2, he has all the weapons to be successful there. Forget his defending for a minute. Victor Moses wasn't a defender, but played on the right in a 3-4-3 title winning side. Hudson-Odoi has been playing on the left and the right of a 3-4-3 for Chelsea this season.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bruno's approach to fullbacks is a bit different to Nuno's.

Under Nuno (when we were functioning well going forward), Doherty and Jonny often cut inside (now known as inverted wing-backs apparently!). This would mean they were often arriving in the box as another attacking player.

Bruno tends to prefer the wider forwards to take up those half-spaces inside and for his fullbacks to overlap as more traditional wingers. So plenty of crosses from them, but very little goal threat. They should definitely have more assists though.

Interesting to see how Bruno uses Jonny when he's fit. I'm not sure Bruno will like him on the left, as Jonny prefers to cut inside on his right foot. Could he be used at right wing-back/right-back as competition for Semedo?
But note, see how often Semedo cuts inside from the touchline, to create panic centrally, and create space for either Raul or right forward to pull wide. A big feature of the practiced attacking play for the goal against West Ham…along with getting 2 runners continuing their run into the box in the half spaces which Jimenez starts then pulls out, giving him the freedom of the edge of the box.

Doesn’t necessarily matter WHO goes wide and inside, it’s that you create a front 5, with no more than 1 player occupying each attacking channel.
Then you want them crossing/swapping over creating uncertainty for markers, it’s that which creates the space. This is what Citeh have mastered. Cancelo comes inside very regularly, being right footed and having midfielder quality on the ball, but you’ll find Walker over and underlapping, or De Bruyne sneaking in centrally, half space or out on the wing with his wicked deliveries.

Being married to WBs outside and forwards inside is easier to deal with, it might be a front 5 but it’s predictable. Once you start dragging defenders across that line, having to make constant decisions about man marking or zonal passing-on, you get gaps appearing.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look down the list of top scorers in the Premier League 10 years ago, you’d see the names van Persie, Rooney, Aguero, Dempsey, Adebayor, Yakubu, Ba, Holt(!), Dzeko and Balotelli in the top 10. Players like Cisse and our own Steven Fletcher just outside.

Look back even further and the names of Shearer, Henry, Owen, Defoe, Fowler, Cole and Ferdinand dominate. Frank Lampard is also in the top 5 all-time Premier League goal scorers.

Almost all of these players played down the middle. Either as out-and-out number 9’s, as one of a partnership, or as attacking number 10's.

But take a look at the top scorers from last few seasons and you’ll see the likes of Salah, Son, Mane, Sterling, Aubameyang and Rashford up there. All players that start a lot of their games as wider forward players.

So far this season and there’s more players in the top 10 goal scorers who start predominately as wide forwards than there are central players. Goal scorers are changing, football is changing.

Liverpool have not played with an out-and-out number 9 for some time now. Man City are one point off the top, playing without a recognised centre forward all season.

Ronaldo and Lukaku were both benched at the weekend for one of Man United’s and Chelsea’s biggest games of the season. Both teams have arguably looked more functional as a unit without their top goal scorers, Chelsea in particular during their 4-0 win against Juventus.

Half Spaces

There was an article a few seasons back by Adam Bate talking about ‘half-spaces’ and how managers were becoming obsessed with trying to find them. The article talked predominately about Conte’s 3-4-3 and how it was perfect for countering the often-used 4-2-3-1 formation by positioning the wide forwards in the spaces between full-back, centre-back and central midfielder. Hazard had one of his best seasons playing in that ‘half-space’.

(Link to the article here: Why Premier League coaches are obsessed with the 'half spaces').

Talking about Hazard, the article ends saying, “It's the half space that has helped him to flourish and Conte's formation change that has helped his star player to find them. Guardiola, Klopp and the rest are still working on solutions of their own.”

Well as we now know, those solutions have seen Pep or Klopp win all 4 of the titles up for grabs since.

Whether you like or loath some of the terminology, both sides have typically relied on sweeper-keepers, full-backs offering width and creativity, a solid defensive midfield pivot, a variation of ‘attacking 8’ central midfield players, a ‘false-9 style’ central forward player and goals galore from their wide-forward players, coupled with constant pressing high up the field. That’s the recipe, with the finishing touches tweaked slightly by both managers (and the occasional world-class defender thrown in as garnish).

Despite his goal scoring feats, Sergio Aguero struggled to get game time towards the end of his City career, especially in the bigger games, with Gabriel Jesus regularly preferred to start. Pep has gone on record recently to say that as far as ‘pressing forwards’ go, he thinks Jesus is one of the best in the world.

The number 10 role is one that has really died a death in the last few years, with players either adapting to be able to play in a wider role (Foden, Mount, Smith-Rowe or our own Gibbs-White at Sheffield United), or dropping deeper to be ‘attacking 8’s’ like Odegaard has at Arsenal. Players that have struggled to adapt to a wider or deeper role have seen their careers nose-dive (Dele Alli being one).

Teams are preferring players that can fill both 9 and 10 roles, with the goal scoring burden shared across the front 3.

Roberto Firmino is a good example of a central striker who does the job of both a number 9 and a number 10 in the Liverpool side, finding that ‘half-space’ between defence and midfield, allowing the wider forwards the ability to cut in and fill the central space. Jota was always going to work at Liverpool due to his work rate and adaptability to play anywhere across the front 3.

That gives those strikers the ability to find another 'half-space' between the defence and midfield, with the centre-back often in two minds about whether or not to follow him in there and create more space in behind.

Teams that have tried to continue to play with both a number 10 and a number 9 have struggled to find fluidity in some games. It will be interesting to see if Man United continue to try and get Ronaldo and Fernandes into the same team no Rangnick has been appointed. My guess is there will be a high profile casualty, especially for the bigger games where team functionality is key.

Central strikers have to adapt, or they will die

Harry Kane is one player that appears to have taken that on board. Take last-season as an example, top scorer and top assists in the league. Mainly because he has been dropping deeper more than ever before in his career and helping to link play. He often played as a number 10/false-9 hybrid! This season hasn’t been ideal for him, but probably for other reasons. The way he plays he would arguably be the perfect signing for City (probably why he threw his toys out so much as he probably would’ve been guaranteed a title!).

Our own Raul Jimenez, despite playing with number 9 on his back, is anything but a traditional number 9.

Talking about his involvement in the goals against Newcastle, Bruno Lage said "Raul is a hard worker. In the first day when I saw him, he ran all over the pitch. He went from one flank to another, and I said 'look, you cannot play like that, we are going to play in a different way, and you are going to play more in-between the lines'. It was his best game, and he didn't score goals, but it was the best.”

Raul drops off the front, he is involved in the build-up play and is constantly linking with other players. We are very fortunate to have him. I’d go as far to say he is second only to Kane (ignoring current form) in the league as far as ‘complete’ centre-forwards go. He is so key to how we play, because of how he plays.

Jamie Vardy is one that is different to Kane and Raul and isn’t really an all-round striker, but what he lacks in helping with his team’s build-up play, he more than makes up for in work-rate. As far as pressing goes, he’s a machine.

I think the next few years will see these changes continuing and will slowly lead to the death of the old-school number 9.

Where does that leave us?

We will continue to benefit from having Raul, hopefully for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Fabio Silva already has question marks over him. But it may not be his development as a player that hinders him the most, it could be that by the time he gets to the level we need him, that his style of striker is almost defunct! He will need to adapt his all-round game to become a success, which might be why Bruno said this about him at the start of the season, “Little things he can understand better. The position. He knows how to work as a main striker. Maybe he can start to learn how to play as a second striker. Different little details – when to time his runs.”

This isn’t just a problem exclusive to Fabio. Players like Danny Ings, goal scorers who would probably always play best in a 2, are in danger of becoming luxury players, pigeon-holed into super-sub roles.

The biggest thing we have been missing since Jota left is goals from our wider forwards. Hwang seems to be one that can solve that issue and Neto will be a big bonus when he comes back into the side.

Neto is going to be the biggest beneficiary of these changes in my opinion. He can play anywhere across the front 3 already and he has an eye for goal. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up playing centrally in the future (hopefully for us!).

Hwang, Raul and Neto as a front 3 is a modern manager’s dream. All hard-working, high-pressing, intelligent footballers and well-balanced too with Hwang and Neto both cutting inside onto their stronger feet. That's the sort of front 3 that could get 30+ goals between them in a functioning attacking side.

A long one (sorry), but just some thoughts I’ve been having for quite some time and the Ronaldo/Lukaku situation at the weekend made me think of putting it all into a thread.
A great post. As a football philistine I find it fascinating to read about these kind of technicalities.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's being discussed extensively elsewhere too, but Rafa Mir is more of a traditional number 9 than Raul.

So whether we'd kept him or not, he's not really suited to our style as much as Raul is. He's young enough to adapt, he will always score goals, but he's probably more of a Chris Wood target-man type than an all-round complete striker like Raul.

William Jose was more suited to us, as he can do both the 9 and 10 role, so I can see why we brought him in when Raul wasn't fit. But as we saw, he's not really quick enough for the Premier League. By the time he'd dropped deep to help with the build-up, he couldn't get back in the box to help finish things off.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Not so much William Jose’s lack of pace, but lack of heart and desire. The bloke was a complete and utter waste of space. I’ve seen a double wardrobe move quicker.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to turn this in to a Traore bashing thread, but this is one of the reasons why I don't think he suits us, the modern game doesn't use traditional wingers and that's what I think Traore is, he can't do the intricate link up play or make runs off the ball in to the box like the modern wide forward does, he isn't a goal threat

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to turn this in to a Traore bashing thread, but this is one of the reasons why I don't think he suits us, the modern game doesn't use traditional wingers and that's what I think Traore is, he can't do the intricate link up play or make runs off the ball in to the box like the modern wide forward does, he isn't a goal threat
Was gonna say exactly the same..

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football evolves and eventually goes full circle - currently the top teams are overall more effective without a traditional 9 and the wider-channel players have emerged.

Teams will also evolve defensively and a few old fashioned central strikers will reassert and will be successful again when teams are no longer equipped to deal with them.

Back
Top Bottom