Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Project 2020 - 2021

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It just struck me that for the first time since Fosun took over, I'm not really certain what "The Project" means any more.

What would success look like this season?

What are Fosun's stated aims for this season?

Anybody?

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The project is to improve am due progress.

We have improved the squad but it needs time to settle.

We were never going to win the league.

Patience.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure there ever was a ‘project’ other than to get promoted and established.

But you ask a good question. What would success look like? I suppose 7th. or better and a good cup run.

But what does Fosun expect? I think that after extending Nuno’s contract and getting new players in, that they would want some real solid progress over the next two seasons. As the 2021/22 season draws to a close, I expect they will evaluate Wolves‘ performance after 4 years in the PL.
If they’re not happy......then, who knows?

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am really glad this question has been posed, because I was thinking recently that nobody really understands what the project actually is (and I include myself in that!)

The project must evolve and I think it has over time. Jota was the real turning point from a Fosun perspective and the first time we started to see the wider commercial aspect of the project.

I think Fosun understand that the only way to make money out of football is to share the player licences. Usually that is reserved for agents, but the clever deal between Fosun and GestiFute allows them to use Wolves as a vehicle to share the profit on players.

Agent fees and licence fees are generated for each sale and purchase and with Wolves they can buy and sell until their hearts content.

My understanding of the project is to become as successful as possible whilst cycling the players. Attract young and hungry players who would ordinarily be too good for Wolves, with the promise of allowing them to move on when the time is right whilst letting them enjoy the ride. As the project evolves, the success increases, the level of player does the same, as do the agent fees!

If Fosun can create even more value in the asset or the club at the same time by building the brand on the back of the success, even better. However, whilst the agent fees are allowed they will not sell us anytime soon!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Improve on the pitch. Grow the brand off the pitch.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The project is to improve am due progress.

We have improved the squad but it needs time to settle.

We were never going to win the league.

Patience.
We may have improved the squad (?) but the first x1 is weaker than last season. We will do well to finish top half so the project will have stalled.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Improve the way we play. Challenge for trophies and do well.

it’s not an overnight project , it’s a project over a period of time

we aren’t signing James Rodriguez to try and get in the champions league next season then get knocked out and finish 15th when he leaves

we arebuilding a side , and squad, that can play good football and challenge in the medium term

We have played counter attacking football and we know it works , up to a certain point . It’s now the next phase where we need to dominate games and win matches comfortably and not leave it to chance or robust defending for 65 minutes

it’s been one defeat, albeit a bad one - but nuno won’t be happy . The performances may not be great for 5 - 10 games but hopefully we can pick up results whilst we adapt and attack the middle of the season with a sustained improvement in performance and results

the project next steps will be to improve , get top 6,win a trophy, get top 4.

the following stage will then be to challenge for the title and European success . They aren’t here just to take part in competitions . Fosun want wolves to be a global success

WolfClaw

Groupie
Reaction score
It just struck me that for the first time since Fosun took over, I'm not really certain what "The Project" means any more.

Anybody?
Avoid relegation. Break wolves premier record of 3 seasons.
It'll be hard, but we might manage it if the players get back from vacation in time.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to find a settled line up that works and get some confidence back, then we can introduce new ideas from a more stable footing.
All is not lost.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The project is this:

Win the Premier League, compete every season in the Champions League, become a global brand - all within the confines of FFP despite starting from well outside the cosy compound of protected clubs.

Timeline: Ten years

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on yesterday stopping up is our first target look what happened at Watford.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The graph to the tenth year will likely look something akin to this and the arrow is where we are at after the first major pruning of the squad:

IMG_20200928_224635.png

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The project is this:

Win the Premier League, compete every season in the Champions League, become a global brand - all within the confines of FFP despite starting from well outside the cosy compound of protected clubs.

Timeline: Ten years

that may be the public message of the project to appease the fans. But that’s not the project. The first rule of business, is business. Fosun are PE. They buy low, sell high. The project is to maintain position as a competitive premier league side good enough to attract rising global stars that can be sold on for heavy profit. Dont kid yourself it’s not.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Anybody?

I think there's a serious question mark hanging over the relationship with Mendes. Great to have got the players to get us here, but he cashed in on Silva (Gestifute made £6m) and, for all Wolves fans' excitement about signing him, it's highly debateable ANY other club would pay that fee for Semedo.

Which begs the question - are we signing players to service a) Mendes, b) our footballing needs, or c) both. I'd say we're in camp C right now. And Nuno needs to be in camp B if he is to be taken seriously in the world of management.

How about some £20-30m midfielders like Allan or Doucoure? Some legs to get us around and carry the ball up the field? He's no footballing maestro but it was astonishing that Dendonkcer didn't get on the field against WHam.

Last season was magical at times, but we ran aground - partly because of the demands and partly because our football ideas died. Moutinho looks like he could have run his race yet we don't seem to be replacing him, and we're changing the way we play but keeping the same system???. Meanwhile Jota looks rejuvenated, perhaps by the move yes but surely by being in a team that believes in pushing forward more.

I know I sound like a malcontent but I just wonder about Mendes and if he really believes in getting us into the top four.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ask again after the transfer window closes.

Wolf-Pack

Reaction score
I think progress this year is staying up, hopefully top half finish and allowing some of our younger players to develop. Those young players will be pivotal over the coming seasons, this year will be more of a transitional year.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that may be the public message of the project to appease the fans. But that’s not the project. The first rule of business, is business. Fosun are PE. They buy low, sell high. The project is to maintain position as a competitive premier league side good enough to attract rising global stars that can be sold on for heavy profit. Dont kid yourself it’s not.
The two go together. If we end up like West Brom then Fosun make a loss. If the ten year plan succeeds then Fosun will have a £500m to £1bn club on their hands.

BigSteve

Reaction score

The same thing it means every season, Pinky: try to take over the world!

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh shoot.., they having us on then? Damn it, let’s go back to someone honest then like Morgan or Sir Jack...

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think progress this year is staying up, hopefully top half finish and allowing some of our younger players to develop. Those young players will be pivotal over the coming seasons, this year will be more of a transitional year.
That's how I see this year...

Easier in theory, I suppose, than losing 4-0 at Upton Park (or whatever they call it)

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club must be more resilient. Especially the snowflake supporters. Change is always difficult. We may have to take one step back to take two steps forward.

D

Deleted member 4008

Arteta said arsenal still trying to strengthen in areas . Hmmmmm mean while the tumble weed is blowing around compton . If wolves don't sign at least two players for the 11 I think this season could be a struggle

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Progress staying up? Really? If that is the case then it is totally bonkers.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv no idea what Fosuns aims are for Wolves, but Nuno has indicated a new cycle which will take time, its not all about buying kids the signing of Semendo and Marcel should have shown that, lets see where we are at the end of the window then when we are 10 games in we will have a better idea of where we are as a team, the results so far this season in the PL have thrown up a few surprises which are a combination of a short close season, little or no pre season, no crowds, and for us new players having to settle in, all this with an attempt to change our style of play, Rome wasnt built in a day and Nuno has just signed a new contract which maybe means he will use this season to change things around knowing he has the time to rebuild, but all that comes with a risk but so long as its 1 step back and 2 forwards we will be okay, have faith guys..
Can you imagine how City fans are feeling after shipping 5 goals, and Chelski conceding 3 against you know who ?.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My one issue with the need to "evolve" is the fact it has come at the loss of Doherty and Jota. We have lost those two players. As much as people may think we needed to improve on them,they contributed 10 league goals last season. Take one player in Jimenez out of it... That leaves us with 23 goals scored by other outfield players last season.

23 goals.

That is scary.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My one issue with the need to "evolve" is the fact it has come at the loss of Doherty and Jota. We have lost those two players. As much as people may think we needed to improve on them,they contributed 10 league goals last season. Take one player in Jimenez out of it... That leaves us with 23 goals scored by other outfield players last season.

23 goals.

That is scary.

yes but you are assuming podence / Neto and semedo don’t score any goals

also assuming if we got rid of Raul no player would score a goal in his place

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A transition season. To break into the top 4 we cannot play counter attacking football. Changing to possession based football will take time and changes in personnel. We need to do to teams what Sevilla did to us. Add in that there was no preseason to test and adjust tactics and personnel.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. If anyone thinks Fosun are in it other than to make money they are mistaken. Shi and Nuno will be grist to the mill if Fosun feels this is not being achieved

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Become an established Premier League team over next 10 years, ideally staying in top 10 bracket each season.
2. Start challenging regularly for 6th and 7th spots and get some more Europa League experience.
3. Build up young core of top players who can evolve and mature in the club under Nuno and start producing the goods over the three years of his current contract.
4. Get on the map by actually winning something - even Carabao Cup would do for starters. Or at least get to a Final.
5. Develop global marketing brand - which depends on good performances on the field.
6. Become more attractive to the better players and start signing real quality.
7. Improve the ground and make it a top class 40,000 seat arena. No more needed.
8. Make breakthrough into top four and Champion's League.

Back
Top Bottom