Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Premier League - The Netflix of Football?

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it could work as long as the subscription covers the whole Premier League. The problem will be that individual clubs will be fighting for their own subscriptions so that the Uniteds, Liverpools etc rake in the lion share and cement their place at the top even further.

if anyone thinks that this could work and all the clubs share in the money generated equally then I think they will be sadly mistaken. Only this year the top six have been pressing for a bigger share of current money as it is them that are the draw not the other makeweights in the league.

This will not happen unless it favours Liverpool, Arsenal, United, City, Chelsea or Spurs in some way, shape or form. I think it sounds better than it would be in reality.
Exactly what Im saying

Im not sure this is good for clubs like Wolves

D

Deleted member 3573J

People aren't paying £60 for just football. Thats football, tv sky q/virgin box, broadband, landline

The true price point of football alone is <£25

But if you don't have bt broadband, then the price for BT sport is £27.99 and sky sports is £23.99 (on Virgin it's £32) so plenty of people are paying £50-60 a month just for football.

D

Deleted member 6754 (removed at own request)

Sky are moving towards IPTV anyway. They even have Netflix on Sky Q now. The PL could do similar. You wouldn't need linear channels like now

DAZN are a prime example of this in Japan. All sports are streamed over there by DAZN. Sports channels will cease to exist within 15yrs.

I think the EFL mid-week games on the red button is a trial run for precisely what we're discussing to be honest.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point, but that's assuming that the service would be set up in such a way. In an ideal scenario, it would be divided equally and wouldn't be a club-by-club model. It would effectively be a Premier League pass to watch all of the games, probably at something like £200 a year.

You’re right but I can’t see the big boys being happy with the same share as the bottom clubs.

W

WasStefan

But if you don't have bt broadband, then the price for BT sport is £27.99 and sky sports is £23.99 (on Virgin it's £32) so plenty of people are paying £50-60 a month just for football.
Yeah thats say £25 per month but big chunk goes to Sky. Cut out middle man. Cheaper price. Get more subs

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
People aren't paying £60 for just football. Thats football, tv sky q/virgin box, broadband, landline

The true price point of football alone is <£25
True Stefan but you have to get a Sky TV package in order to get the sports. Before you know it, it amounts to £60 plus per month. We are all just suckers!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re right but I can’t see the big boys being happy with the same share as the bottom clubs. Only last year they were trying to negotiate a bigger portion of monies from the current deal as they are the draw for viewers not the smaller clubs.

An equal share of monies will never happen. The Premier League top six already jerry mander monies to keep themselves at the top and the gap growing between themselves and the clubs from 7th down. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

They will want a United channel, a Liverpool channel and so forth. The Wolves, Brighton's and Bournmouth's of this world simply wont compete as (in comparison to the big six) are fan base and subscription will be significantly lower.

Last edited:
W

WasStefan

An equal share of monies will never happen. The Premier League top six already jerry mander monies to keep themselves at the top and the gap growing between themselves and the clubs from 7th down. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

They will want a United channel, a Liverpool channel and so forth. The Wolves, Brighton's and Bournmouth's of this world simply wont compete as (in comparison to the big six) are fan base and subscription will be significantly lower.
There wont be channels

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lots of interesting points being made and can understand why people are hesitant however I would point out a few things.

Nobody want's to stream or watch a game in an empty stadium as part of the product would be damaged, remember when England played Croatia behind closed doors? Felt like a training game. Even if Saturday 3 o'clocks were streamed, the clubs would react and charge lower prices to ensure sell out's, we need to remember that match day tickets are no longer that large a % of a clubs revenue.

I'd always choose to go to games over watching online/ on tv money permitting. Football for me is about the experience and the day, being with mates, having a few beers is all part of that and I think it's the same for most.

Also look at Everton on Saturday, sold out away allocation straight off and there was no legal way for somebody who couldn't get a ticket to watch it, the demand is out weighing the availability so the league and clubs need to look at ways to work around this. I'd have still jumped at the chance to go Saturday even if it was on TV, it was a fantastic day out!

Big clubs taking the biggest share argument is also pointless, the premier league is the best league in the world and generates the most revenue as it's one of the most competitive, the big sides need the smaller sides to survive. Look at France for example which has nowhere near the viewing figures even with the likes of Neymar and Mbappe. This European super league with no relegation for me isn't going to happen. It won't work logistically and people will lose interest very quickly ...

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of interesting points being made and can understand why people are hesitant however I would point out a few things.

Nobody want's to stream or watch a game in an empty stadium as part of the product would be damaged, remember when England played Croatia behind closed doors? Felt like a training game. Even if Saturday 3 o'clocks were streamed, the clubs would react and charge lower prices to ensure sell out's, we need to remember that match day tickets are no longer that large a % of a clubs revenue.

I'd always choose to go to games over watching online/ on tv money permitting. Football for me is about the experience and the day, being with mates, having a few beers is all part of that and I think it's the same for most.

Also look at Everton on Saturday, sold out away allocation straight off and there was no legal way for somebody who couldn't get a ticket to watch it, the demand is out weighing the availability so the league and clubs need to look at ways to work around this. I'd have still jumped at the chance to go Saturday even if it was on TV, it was a fantastic day out!

Big clubs taking the biggest share argument is also pointless, the premier league is the best league in the world and generates the most revenue as it's one of the most competitive, the big sides need the smaller sides to survive. Look at France for example which has nowhere near the viewing figures even with the likes of Neymar and Mbappe. This European super league with no relegation for me isn't going to happen. It won't work logistically and people will lose interest very quickly ...

They need us to survive but don’t want us to compete. Whatever happens there will be promotion and relegation, they will always have someone to play so they won’t care if it’s a cakewalk every season for them or not.

As long as they get the money they will not care less, we could well be on the cusp of turning into the Scottish Premier League.

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They need us to survive but don’t want us to compete. Whatever happens there will be promotion and relegation, they will always have someone to play so they won’t care if it’s a cakewalk every season for them or not.

As long as they get the money they will not care less, we could well be on the cusp of turning into the Scottish Premier League.

This

The big clubs need someone to play. They just dont want the small and medium sized clubs to win too many games

hoop

Reaction score
Think that could be disastrous for a club like ours

Why? The money goes to the NBA. They then divide the money up.

If the PL did it, it would just be them dividing the money instead of Sky/BT.

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why? The money goes to the NBA. They then divide the money up.

If the PL did it, it would just be them dividing the money instead of Sky/BT.

As as been mentioned by me and others the big clubs would insist on it being divided by the number of viewers.

Lets say for arguments sake Man Utd who would be the biggest draw got on average 3 million viewers for each game, we got say 300 000, Burnley 100 000 and Albion if they were there 7. It doesnt take a mathematical genius to see how even more unequal things would be

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Australia I pay $15 a month for Optus sport , which gives access to all Wolves ( and all teams) premier league games live on your phone/ tablet ( up to 4 different devices) which i can then directly chrome cast to my TV..... some people have had problems with their feed freezing etc but mine has always ( fortunately) been perfect.
Im currently able to watch more of Wolves than I ever have.
Wow.....you seem to have a fantastic deal. I would love something like that here. Do you get ALL Wolves games and the cup?
If you were abroad on holiday, in Europe,S.Africa or wherever, would it still work?
If so, then I will check it out for me....Optus is I guess an Australian company, right?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A U.K. Style equivalent of Premer League Pass will almost certainly come in. I'd subscribe for the away games but would still have my ST for homes until I become to old to mither with all the travelling back and forth to Wolves. As long as it does not affect the paying punters at the games I'm all for it. Would also end this nonsense of stupid kick off times. All games 3pm Saturday and all available to be broadcast.
That would be awesome, weirdly if all games were at 3pm on a Saturday I wouldn’t have to watch any home games on TV!

hoop

Reaction score
As as been mentioned by me and others the big clubs would insist on it being divided by the number of viewers.

Lets say for arguments sake Man Utd who would be the biggest draw got on average 3 million viewers for each game, we got say 300 000, Burnley 100 000 and Albion if they were there 7. It doesnt take a mathematical genius to see how even more unequal things would be

The system is already unequal. Top club gets approx £50M more than bottom.

The world is moving to VOD TV, eventually the PL will want its slice of the illegal stream pot.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it could work as long as the subscription covers the whole Premier League. The problem will be that individual clubs will be fighting for their own subscriptions so that the Uniteds, Liverpools etc rake in the lion share and cement their place at the top even further.

if anyone thinks that this could work and all the clubs share in the money generated equally then I think they will be sadly mistaken. Only this year the top six have been pressing for a bigger share of current money as it is them that are the draw not the other makeweights in the league.

This will not happen unless it favours Liverpool, Arsenal, United, City, Chelsea or Spurs in some way, shape or form. I think it sounds better than it would be in reality.
Without the makeweights there is no league. There are twenty clubs right now signed up to a cooperative. That has to remain. The NFL used to (they may still) sell a season pass for live coverage of one specific team, that team didn't receive any extra money from the NFL, it remained an equal share. The Cowboys probably have the most fans, the Jaguars the least (maybe the Rams now). They take the same cut.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The world is moving to VOD TV, eventually the PL will want its slice of the illegal stream pot.
They won't get a slice of that pot. They'd have to stop the streams. The people making money from piracy will find another workaround.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If its cheap enough pirating will tail off.
Of course it will. I'd happily pay more for a reliable bonafide product. Just not too much more. I think the biggest reason for piracy is the 3pm blackout. The premier league would still want staggered kickoff times though for advertising purposes. They'll never limit their audience by playing all games at the same time! So if the blackout is lifted I wouldn't expect any more games in the 3pm slots.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not saying I don't think you're right, but for arguments sake, what would be the difference between that and now?

Arguably its exactly the same scenario now but with Sky and BT in the middle, all a streaming service would be doing is cutting out the middle man and selling the product directly from the PL to the viewer.

The bigger teams already want a bigger slice and will always want a bigger slice, I don't see why going down a streaming route means they're any more likely to get it than they are now?

The PL could decide to stick with Sky and BT for another rights deal a few years down the line and the big teams manage to swing it better in their favour anyway so isn't that an issue regardless of how people pay for their viewing experience?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But every fan who does go to Molineux to watch the games could stay home and watch for free on reddit or somewhere.....yet they still go.
So if the PL broadcasts the games rather than a third party, the attendance shouldn’t change.
Or maybe zither PL could do it for overseas....I presume they’ve looked at this with spreadsheets and surveys.
Like anything else, it depends on the numbers.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting this animated and passionate about increasing revenues and, ultimately, greed - I don't get it. The sooner the Premier League goes tits up the better for me. The opportunity to **** Sky over would be tempting though.

Also, do his sums rely on the assumption that the PL would be as popular to subscribers, with its one product, as Netflix? Apologies if I misunderstood his point but I seriously doubt that's the case?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The idea that the greedy ****ers at the Premier league would only charge £8 a month is laughable.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Yeah thats say £25 per month but big chunk goes to Sky. Cut out middle man. Cheaper price. Get more subs

But if the Premier League stream the games themselves, they already know millions are willing to pay anything between £25 to £60 a month, it's a nice thought that they'd do fans a favour and drop the price if there's no middle man but I can't see it happening. It's like when companies in the UK move production to a country where they can pay basically slave labour, they slash their production costs but still charge the same price.

Also if they add more choice and more games, the price is likely to go up, not down.

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It is unequal. I just dont see the point in making it more unequal. Besides at the moment the money is allocated by position in the league not by the armchair draw that a club has

And yes I realise that the PL is moving in this direction but if Im going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century it wont be before I voice my opinion

Back
Top Bottom