Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Premier League - Still the best league in the world?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With both Manchester Clubs already out of Europes elite competition, Arsenal being annihilated by Milan and with only a massively out of form Chelsea team that we're lucky to get through in a $$$$ poor group left to represent.

Has the era of English clubs dominance, well ignoring Barca, in Europe come to an end?

Serie A is looking stronger again with Napoli gave Citeh a good run for their money, Milan just smashing and Juve returning + there's Inter when they sort themselves out.

Liga BBVA is usually considered the Prem's biggest rival due to Barca & Madrid but Valencia also look strong.

Bundesliga, Bayern look impressive and Dortmund have a very promising squad filled with some of the most exciting young talents in world football.

Your thoughts?

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends what your definition of 'best' is.

I think you are taking it to be league with the best teams in. However for some the best league may be the league that is the most competitive.

Ideally you would have a combination of both IMO.

S

Space Wolf

It's an off year for English teams. I wouldn't sound the death knell just yet.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure it has any impact on my footballing interest. It can be the best or worst league in the world ... It'll have no relevance to Wolves in my lifetime.

Unfortunately.

tipton81

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not sure it has any impact on my footballing interest. It can be the best or worst league in the world ... It'll have no relevance to Wolves in my lifetime.

Unfortunately.

That is the unfortunate truth. Imagine going away to places like the San Siro, must be amazing, ah well.

B

bridgnorthwolf

In terms of overall quality from top to bottom and in terms of quality of matches throughout, yes easily.

D

Dewsburywolf

You missed Bayer Leverkusen from the list of German clubs

W

WasStefan

Not the best this year, no.

Next year I expect City to dominate though.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You missed Bayer Leverkusen from the list of German clubs

They've been shocking in the league this season, it's the unpredictability of the Bundesliga. Happens all the time one season a team nearly wins the league the next they're fighting relegation.

G

gordonchas

In terms of overall quality from top to bottom and in terms of quality of matches throughout, yes easily.

Sad as I am, I watch at least a couple of Premier League and a couple of La Liga matches every week. And if you think the bottom half of the Premier League is better (let alone, "easily") than that in La Liga, you'd be dead wrong.

T

Tettenhall Wolf

I'd be happy to see the decline continue.

I'd rather be more radical, which would weaken the league.

Too many overpaid players from abroad strangling the youth network, which ultimately has an effect on the national team and pushing the greed league mantle.

When these players started to come over (Klinsmans onwards), we all loved it. Also the attention te English game started to get.

Those chickens have come home to roost now and it's ruining the game.

W

Wolves1877

I think it would be great to see a pre-season competition where the Premier League teams play the La Liga teams that finished in the equivalent positions. Play home and away to negate home advantage. That would give us a chance to see how the quality in depth varies. Man City v Real Madrid, Man Utd v Barcelona, Wolves v Sporting Gijon, Fulham v Getafe etc etc. I'm sure each club could fit 2 matches into their pre-seasons.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be happy to see the decline continue.

I'd rather be more radical, which would weaken the league.

Too many overpaid players from abroad strangling the youth network, which ultimately has an effect on the national team and pushing the greed league mantle.

When these players started to come over (Klinsmans onwards), we all loved it. Also the attention te English game started to get.

Those chickens have come home to roost now and it's ruining the game.

So prior to that in the 1970s we had a top national team right? Or did we fail to qualify for many of the tournaments? We've done no worse in the modern era than prior national sides.

Prior to '66 we placed 8th, 6th, 11th, 8th vs. 9th, 6th, 7th, 13th in 98'-'10. Fairly similar I'd say.

E

Essex Wolf

English clubs by and large have been very successful in European football but is suffering a bit of a dip right now but will again become a force.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lavezzi, Cavani, Hamsik & Maggio carved Chelsea apart tonight and Inler was pretty decent in the middle too.

G

gordonchas

Lavezzi, Cavani, Hamsik & Maggio carved Chelsea apart tonight and Inler was pretty decent in the middle too.

The match was really enjoyable and the biggest surprise was seeing an Italian side who don't look like they know how to defend. Still, they looked like Helenio Herrera's Inter Milan at the back compared with Chelsea tonight.

wwfc-1877

Reaction score
English football , was seen as exciting by other european footballing nations.It was never seen as better.Lots of running around , never say die.But technically inept.

S

Space Wolf

Can Sky give Napoli any credit? No thought not. Martin Tyler ******.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I usually like Gary Neville but the way he was rubbishing Napoli was so disrespectful. He was acting like it was Chelsea's god given right to beat Napoli.

Lavezzi & Cavani are among the best Striking partnerships in the world and Man City are the only English club with a strikeforce that is anywhere near Napoli's.

If it wasn't for Petr Cech & an Ashley Cole's clearance it would have been 6 or 7 atleast!

G

gordonchas

I can imagine.

I watched on Spanish TV where the commentators (including an English guy who co-commentates on English teams) thought Napoli far superior. As anyone would who watched that game with an open mind.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea had a lot of possession but Napoli defended from the front, didn't allow Chelsea any time on the ball, broke quickly and with deadly effect. I usually find Italian teams boring as hell to watch, but Napoli had obviously done their homework and out premier leagued Chelsea tonight.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Chelsea players were subjected to racist chanting tonight. A Chelsea spokesman condemened the chanting and said racism has no place in modern society.

Oh the irony.....

Back
Top Bottom