Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The phrases that pundits and commentators can't live without now

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the Trent thing is as much as anything because they can't be bothered to say a hyphenated surname with 6 syllables in it! Commentators'll love it when the kids of broken marriages get together with other kids of broken marriages, and they themselves have kids. "Jackson-Williams-Parker-Nicolson, finds Coleman-McCarthy-Pritchard-Smith. Lovely switched pass out to Woodward-Richardson-Newman-Marshall on the wing!"
And yet they never went with only Alex, for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everything they say gets on my nerves but nothing grates more than the words 'Manchester United' when the match at hand doesn't involve them.
And when the commentators are in such a giddy rush of excitement, they pronounce it "Manchyuhnited".

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But have they really?
Yes. It’s why some teams look like headless chickens charging around when they press (sorry, close them down, not implying that closing opposition is a new-fangled invention), lets say Leeds for example, and some seem to have ridiculous success with it and fashion loads of chances. Like Liverpool.

The idea being, the speed, shape, direction, and sometimes individual players that are pressed, is designed to funnel the ball into certain areas, or to certain players. If you know one opposing player is far worse on the ball than the rest, then restricting options so the ball is forced their way more often is a good idea.
Then you have a choice of chasing down the guy you know is crap on the ball, or marking up all their easy options so they give it away anyway while attempting something more difficult.

So yes, they are effectively traps. If you want a great example…us getting battered by Brighton.
They want you to press them. They love it. They deliberately bait it with Dunk or the keeper standing on the ball.
Then the rest move around in a rehearsed, coordinated pattern, they know where the free man is going to be all the way up the field, and they’re getting yet another tap in.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
This thread has restored my faith in myself. I had thought that I was alone in becoming a curmudgeonly old fart who gets annoyed at the misuse of our glorious language, but now I realise I am just a very small cog in a very large wheel (or is it ‘spoke in a gearbox’ or ‘fish in a pond’ or … or…?)

bigwolf

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of games on the radio and really annoys me when they start their sentence by going "Listen". I am listening you are on the bloody radio you imbecile.

Stuart Pearce all the bloody time! I'm not at school you bell piece.

Let's have it right is another. Dean Saunders does it all the time. And usually what he saying is wrong. Oh the irony.

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
For some reason, picture in picture pops up over Wolves attacking move, let's forget about Wolves playing on the screen for a minute and "pictures in from [insert stadium] of Liverpool/ManU/City arriving, there is [manager name] getting off the coach, more later in our big game at [insert time]"

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread has restored my faith in myself. I had thought that I was alone in becoming a curmudgeonly old fart who gets annoyed at the misuse of our glorious language, but now I realise I am just a very small cog in a very large wheel (or is it ‘spoke in a gearbox’ or ‘fish in a pond’ or … or…?)
Small cog short of a picnic I think is the term you're looking for.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not football commentary, but Wayne Mardle in the darts, finishing literally anything he says with "if you will"
Proper gets on my tits, and I noticed that by the midway point of this year's World champs, John Part was doing it too... if you will!!!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After half an hour of build up to the second semi on Talksport, all I have heard is Liverpool/Jones/Trent and NOTHING about Fulham.

They must be under instruction to only push the clubs with the most fans.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"is there a world in which......"

Popularised by that absolute ****bag Rory Jennings on talksport who seems to get a hard on every time he says 'Kepa Arrizabalaga', I've since heard it inexplicably used by Liam Keen, Finerz and Dave Azzopardi. Come on guys, I didn't have you down as residents on the wrong choice ranch :/

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
‘The crowd are on the pitch. They think it’s all over. It is now’. What a one off statement from a wonderful TV football commentator at the time.

Seems so poignant now after so many of those superb players and managers (from both sides) are together in heaven.

Sir Bobby, Mooro, Der Kaiser, Kenneth Wolstenholme and many more, I salute you and will always remember you.

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
"Turnover" gets my back up

Everytime they turn over in that transition

Never heard so many pundits use the turnover phrase as lately - I used to call it losing the ball or possession lost FFS
Imported American Football phrase...

el gringo

Reaction score
By line. It's the goal line. WhereTF did that come from? And, WTF is wrong with saying "goal line"?

1704935990063.png

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not football commentary, but Wayne Mardle in the darts, finishing literally anything he says with "if you will"
Proper gets on my tits, and I noticed that by the midway point of this year's World champs, John Part was doing it too... if you will!!!

Darts commentary has gone from Sid Waddell, John Gwyn and Dave Lanning to Wayne Mardle. It is like going from Rembrandt to a paint by numbers picture where half the numbers are missing !

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Darts commentary has gone from Sid Waddell, John Gwyn and Dave Lanning to Wayne Mardle. It is like going from Rembrandt to a paint by numbers picture where half the numbers are missing !
I love the darts but the Sky pundits definitely need freshening up with more contemporary faces. Sky aren’t slow to do this in other sports - cricket for instance.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
‘The crowd are on the pitch. They think it’s all over. It is now’. What a one off statement from a wonderful TV football commentator at the time.

Seems so poignant now after so many of those superb players and managers (from both sides) are together in heaven.

Sir Bobby, Mooro, Der Kaiser, Kenneth Wolstenholme and many more, I salute you and will always remember you.
"Some people are on the pitch"?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shearerisms …….”They we’re Magnificent “ …. “ He was magnificent “ … “The throw in was magnificent ” …. “ My half time cup of tea was magnificent “ ….. Basically everything’s ****ing magnificent
Sorry but you fell two short for the Magnificent Seven :tearsofjoy:

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been some marvellous miracles.

Jesus walking on water. Or turning water into wine.

People surviving falls when their parachutes fail to open.

A lady giving birth died for 45 minutes. No heart beat. And then came back to life, delivered the child and she and the baby both survived and were fit and well.

But forget all that. On a TS interview just after Eddie Howe was installed as Newcastle manager, Harry Redknapp was asked about this appointment. And Harry's response "He did a fantastic job at Bournemouth. Keeping Bournemouth in the Premier league for 5 seasons is the greatest miracle ever".

So there you go.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect the old fellas behind me in the SBU are contributing to this thread. Their tactical wisdom for us all to hear being...

"Stop fannying around" (a pass played in our defensive third)
"Gerrit up there" (ball in our half)
"Gerrit in there" (ball anywhere in a channel)
"Noooo forwards" (a pass backwards)
"****ing shoot" (ball anywhere within a 40 yard radius of the goal)
"Out out out" (Reaction to a low block)

Charles Reap would be proud
thing is they are often right. poncing about at the back is one of my pet hates

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Commentator; "VAR is looking at it".
SA Wolf; "and about to do us over".

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One that amuses me is the way that WAGS from the south of England call their partners "fiballers"

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've scored to early!

Back of the net!
Surely its the front of the net, the back would be facing the stand?

Back
Top Bottom