Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The O'Neill chapter

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish Gary O'Neill the best of luck but let's face it he is not qualified for the job despite his very good 9 month stint at Bournemouth. Its a desperate panicky decision based on his cheap cost (perhaps being paid a quarter or less compared to Loptegui). Above all, unlike Loptegui he won't create waves as he will know he is so lucky to get the job. Otherwise he has been an Assistant Manager of Liverpool's Under 21s and not much else. He can't have many real contacts abroad based on his uninspiring managerial career trajectory and will hardly be a 'draw' in the way Loptegui was. The coaching team coming with him seem bang average as so far announced....Mark Robson of West Ham U.21s and his former assistant manager at Bournemouth. Fine for a mid table Championship team but this is the Premier League.

Yes like many I am really angry right now and the temptation is to tear this appointment to pieces. But objectively he does not have the track record and experience a club like Wolves should be demanding. He has had one bout of relative success over 9 months last season...that's it. Bournemouth rated him so highly after that that they sacked him. Hardly encouraging.

I don't know how bright he is but British managers are so rarely chosen by top clubs because quite frankly many of them are not that bright or innovative. Enthusiastic, energetic yes but that alone is not enough. O'Neill in my view could do with another three years learning his trade at Championship level. The truth is that no other Premier League club, given the choice would have signed him up as manager bar perhaps Luton. Of course I am sure he will have definite positive qualities as a person and had a long career in the leagues as a player. But this a huge step up for him and I am not convinced that he and his coaches will have the kind of credibility needed amongst a group of mainly international players who have been drilled by an absolute top coach up to this point. Is he suddenly going to impose his 'style' whatever that is, on a group of players who have been finely tuned up to this point to meet the exacting standards of Loptegui just ahead of a new season. A sudden change of direction and emphasis at this late stage will be confusing and counter-productive. And yet of course he will want to impose his imprint on the team in double quick time.

All in all I of course want him to succeed but I predict a very hard road ahead and perhaps some very poor results over the first six games or so which will set the alarm bells going all over the shop. The fact is we are now on the back foot as a club and many pundits are predicting relegation. This despite the fact we have a very decent squad if everyone is healthy and firing. The club have played things so badly its incredible. Such a negative start to the season and an uphill struggle for the players has been made so much harder already. A complete ban on signings this summer or is that not the case...everything is so confused.

I have to be honest, I would like to see Shi and co exposed for their amateurishness and ineptitude and that can only be through the failure of this appointment. But on the other hand of course I want the team to do well and make the most of the talent that is there. O'Neill is an opportunist and has been very lucky to get such a job at this stage of his career as supposedly the 'best candidate'. The other main candidate presumably being Doris the tea lady.

Presuming that no serious signings will come in before Sept 1 O'Neill better pray that injuries are few and far between. If they are then Loptegui's work will come to his aid and he can make the most of that initially. But longer term he has to sustain decent performances in such a tough league. By Christmas we will have some idea how good/bad the situation is. However, whatever happens, I can't forgive Shi/the board for the mess they have left us in at this crucial stage of the season. Putting aside the ego of Loptegui the fact is they have handled everything terribly and let us the supporters down dreadfully. If Fosun do not see themselves taking us into the top 10 bracket anymore they really should consider selling and walking away with a very nice profit and give some other entity a chance. Fosun's huge debt burden means that investment is going to be very limited from now on and the danger is we will 'do a Leicester' this season or next.

For now we already are hanging on to the hope we can make 17th and be better than three other teams. The top management have created an atmosphere of defeat before a ball has been kicked. Quite an achievement.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish Gary O'Neill the best of luck but let's face it he is not qualified for the job despite his very good 9 month stint at Bournemouth. Its a desperate panicky decision based on his cheap cost (perhaps being paid a quarter or less compared to Loptegui). Above all, unlike Loptegui he won't create waves as he will know he is so lucky to get the job. Otherwise he has been an Assistant Manager of Liverpool's Under 21s and not much else. He can't have many real contacts abroad based on his uninspiring managerial career trajectory and will hardly be a 'draw' in the way Loptegui was. The coaching team coming with him seem bang average as so far announced....Mark Robson of West Ham U.21s and his former assistant manager at Bournemouth. Fine for a mid table Championship team but this is the Premier League.

Yes like many I am really angry right now and the temptation is to tear this appointment to pieces. But objectively he does not have the track record and experience a club like Wolves should be demanding. He has had one bout of relative success over 9 months last season...that's it. Bournemouth rated him so highly after that that they sacked him. Hardly encouraging.

I don't know how bright he is but British managers are so rarely chosen by top clubs because quite frankly many of them are not that bright or innovative. Enthusiastic, energetic yes but that alone is not enough. O'Neill in my view could do with another three years learning his trade at Champoinship level. The truth is that no other Premier League club, given the choice would have signed him up as manager bar perhaps Luton. Of course I am sure he will have definite positive qualities as a person and had a long career in the leagues as a player. But this a huge step up for him and I am not convinced that he and his coaches will have the kind of credibility needed amongst a group of mainly international players who have been drilled by an absolute top coach up to this point. Is he suddenly going to impose his 'style' whatever that is, on a group of players who have been finely tuned up to this point to meet the exacting standards of Loptegui just ahead of a new season. A sudden change of direction and emphasis at this late stage will be confusing and counter-productive. And yet of course he will want to impose his imprint on the team in double quick time.

All in all I of course want him to succeed but I predict a very hard road ahead and perhaps some very poor results over the first six games or so which will set the alarm bells going all over the shop. The fact is we are now on the back foot as a club and many pundits are predicting relegation. This despite the fact we have a very decent squad if everyone is healthy and firing. The club have played things so badly its incredible. Such a negative start to the season and an uphill struggle for the players has been made so much harder already. A complete ban on signings this summer or is that not the case...everything is so confused.

I have to be honest I would like to see Shi and co exposed for their amateurishness and ineptitude and that can only be through the failure of this appointment. But on the other hand of course I want the team to do well and make the most of the talent that is there. O'Neill is an opportunist and has been very lucky to get such a job at this stage of his career as supposedly the 'best candidate'. The other main candidate presumably being Doris the tea lady.

Presuming that no serious signings will come in before Sept 1 O'Neill better pray that injuries are few and far between. If they are then Loptegui's work will come to his aid and he can make the most of that initially. But longer term he has to sustain decent performances in such a tough league. By Christmas we will have some idea how good/bad the situation is. However whatever happens I can't forgive Shi/the board for the mess they have left us at this crucial stage of the season. Putting aside the ego of Loptegui the fact is they have handled everything terribly and let us the supporters down dreadfully. If Fosun do not see themselves taking us into the top 10 bracket anymore they really should consider selling and walking away with a very nice profit and give some other entity a chance. Fosun's huge debt burden means that investment is going to be very limited from now on and the danger is we will 'do a Leicester' this season or next.

For now we already are hanging on to the hope we can make 17th and be better than three other teams. The top management have created an atmosphere of defeat before a ball has been kicked. Quite an achievement.
Very well balanced. My concern is futher player sales with inferior or no replacements.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the plus side at least the experience he does have was gained in the prem.
We shouldn’t have the problem of him feeling he is too big for the club or doing us a favour by being here. He already knows we’re skint.
Like all managers I’ll wish him well and hope he does well. Will get my support but as with all managers if they fall below what’s required then they will only have limited time to fix things

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The high I felt after the Rennes game is obliterated by this appointment. How can real optimism be replaced by desolate pessimism in a matter of 96 hours? Realistically the best we can hope for, IF he keeps his job, is to keep us up but I think that will be a challenge for him now. I think he'll be gone by Xmas and we'll be in a similar position to last season but without the experience of a JL to bring in. Lage was perhaps a chapter, this guy will be lucky to make a paragraph.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The high I felt after the Rennes game is obliterated by this appointment. How can real optimism be replaced by desolate pessimism in a matter of 96 hours? Realistically the best we can hope for, IF he keeps his job, is to keep us up but I think that will be a challenge for him now. I think he'll be gone by Xmas and we'll be in a similar position to last season but without the experience of a JL to bring in. Lage was perhaps a chapter, this guy will be lucky to make a paragraph.
In terms of his management 'career' he has even less credibility than Lage, which is saying something. But at least he has slogged out a season in the Premier League so he knows the teams and the scale of the challenge. That is the only plus I can find right now. The fact he will be a 'hard worker' and show attention to detail can be said about every other single manager in the Premier League, so is meaningless.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll support him, but I’ll also be surprised if he’s still here come October.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
It’s Lage all over again. Madness.

Wish him well though all the same. I’ll be very happy to be proved wrong.
It’s Lage all over again, and Lage was Zenga all over again. It’s quite remarkable how Fosun are prepared to hand the reins to people so obviously out of their depth to anyone with a passing knowledge of football. It’s an utter farce really.

Like all the others shaking their heads in disbelief I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt he’ll make it to Christmas.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s Lage all over again, and Lage was Zenga all over again. It’s quite remarkable how Fosun are prepared to hand the reins to people so obviously out of their depth to anyone with a passing knowledge of football. It’s an utter farce really.

Like all the others shaking their heads in disbelief I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt he’ll make it to Christmas.
Yes its Groundhog Day, when will the Wolves hierarchy wake up? As you say this has all the marks of being a Lage, Zenga type appointment. But at least he is not that complete idiot Saunders!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the plus side at least the experience he does have was gained in the prem.
We shouldn’t have the problem of him feeling he is too big for the club or doing us a favour by being here. He already knows we’re skint.
Like all managers I’ll wish him well and hope he does well. Will get my support but as with all managers if they fall below what’s required then they will only have limited time to fix things
So more Premier league experience than both Bruno and Lopetegui, clutching at straws, I know.

rubyloo

Reaction score
Man U only beat us 5-0 , solid start under difficult circumstances. Well done Gary.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I doubt we can afford to sack him, another 3 year deal to pay off.
Wondered whether he has been recruited almost in a caretaker capacity while ffp is such an issue with a view that if he scrapes us through keeping us up we can promise a more high profile manager funds to buy players replacing him at a later date. Not sure of that now with a 3 yr contract.

Wswolf

Reaction score
I dnt get this u are all lauding Lopetegui as an amazing manager and oneil as a useless one. In my opinion oneil did a better job at keeping bournemouth up as Lopetegui did keeping wolves up. They both acheived the same objective but Lopetegui spent a fortune in january.

I think he will do a goob job im more optimistic with oneil than Lopetegui who had a bad vibe around his attitude

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of his management 'career' he has even less credibility than Lage, which is saying something. But at least he has slogged out a season in the Premier League so he knows the teams and the scale of the challenge. That is the only plus I can find right now. The fact he will be a 'hard worker' and show attention to detail can be said about every other single manager in the Premier League, so is meaningless.
Exactly. Pep is an extraordinarily hard worker with impossible attention to detail, but because he has so much else to offer, it is not talked about.

If a manager has anything to offer in addition to their hard work, that is talked about.

If a manager has no discernible attributes; his hard work is talked about.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. Pep is an extraordinarily hard worker with impossible attention to detail, but because he has so much else to offer, it is not talked about.

If a manager has anything to offer in addition to their hard work, that is talked about.

If a manager has no discernible attributes; his hard work is talked about.
Could you imagine anyone ever saying; “he’s a bit of a slacker and fly’s by the seat of his pants” about a premier league manager?

It reads like a reference I write when I am trying to help someone I have fired get a new job.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot believe we are going to have Shaun Derry coaching our players! Never mind the boss being Gary O’Neil!!!! It’s like we are all having a nightmare and we are in Room 101!

T

TheConcourse

I’m not sure it need another thread, although I totally agree.

These are Gary’s formative years as a coach where he should be learning about management styles, leadership, tactics - he’s nowhere near ready - not even close.

Horrible appointment from a horrible leadership team.

Genuinely, in the nicest possible way, I hope this experiment fails very fast so we can salvage our season, although if GON was the front runner, who knows who might rock up next.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
Has the **** even officially become our manager yet

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Anybody with good PowerPoint skills seems to woo Jeff.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least there is plenty of experience being recruited coach wise, can we at least give him a chance. He could prove a master stroke, mind no one would give credit and just say we got lucky
I could do with a master stroke but I keep seeing Jeff’s smug face when I close my eyes

Back
Top Bottom