Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Official "We Didn't sign anybody on Transfer Day and we're going down" thread

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least we won't have to suffer all those nerves come the last few week of the season as we'll be down by February.

M

MonkeySpanner

As said on another thread we'll be in the mix come end of season for relegation. We've started well because we've started with pretty much a full squad all fit, Doyle, Hunt, O'Hara missing at start last season, but I still don't think we've got enough quality in depth to see us into beautiful mid-table mediocrity.

M

Marauding Wolf

We need to keep the buzz going from our performances and point total and not get deflated by various fringe players changing clubs.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As said on another thread we'll be in the mix come end of season for relegation. We've started well because we've started with pretty much a full squad all fit, Doyle, Hunt, O'Hara missing at start last season, but I still don't think we've got enough quality in depth to see us into beautiful mid-table mediocrity.

I think it depends on who gets injured tbh. We're very strong throughout the squad on the wing, we have three great strikers, three decent right backs and two very good goalkeepers.

Central midfield, central defence and left back are, however, somewhat more problematic.

If we can avoid the inevitable Doyle/O'Hara/Johnson injuries, there is no reason that we can't finish 11th.

M

MK Panther

I think we have enough experience and points in the bag to be safe till the new year. QPR may take some time to gel and buying a new team is unsettling. I am quietly confident but Mick seems to be interested in the glamour of the forward line and not so interested in defence.

M

Mr Wolf

Not good enough I'm affraid. It looks like were gambling on players remaining fit & with their previous histories I just can't see it, we are then back to basics scrapping a living around the relegation zone.

I would have happily sacrificed Edwards, Craddock, Vokes etc & £10m for 3 better players such as Jenas, Barton, Palacios, Dann etc to give us the quality needed for a top half/cup final push.

I hope this new stadium looks really nice when built.

C

cooper_J

If we were bottom I'd be worried but we're not. A simplistic way to look at it perhaps but ulitimately we've a 7 point advantage over Blackburn - they need to strengthen.

Our January transfer dealing in the last two seasons have been sound too - I'd have liked us to have signed one more player but I'm not going to start panicking about not getting Dann, we've conceded once in four games.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even one more quality addition might have been enough to make a big difference so yes it is disappointing. Buying in January is always difficult and expensive. If we are lucky on injuries we should be ok. If not we may struggle again and that would be really annoying considering what we went through last season and the luck we had to survive.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an almighty risk.

It's not so much not signing quality cover for leftback or striker that bothers me its letting so many go at the same time. In the circumstances they should have kept the Hoff, I know the money was ok but we are really short up front (no pun intended :))

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Wulfrunian

I never quite understand the argument about injuries robbing us of key players.

Because this can only happen to us, and not to other clubs? Unless we are incredibly unlucky things will even themselves up over the course of a season.

L

lupini

we are now certin to have s Huge white elephant stadium in the conference within 5Years. This could have been avoided if we had signed someone like fat Andy Reid. Mick out today!

D

Dewsburywolf

we are now certin to have s Huge white elephant stadium in the conference within 5Years. This could have been avoided if we had signed someone like fat Andy Reid. Mick out today!

I know you're only joking but where is he these days? Didn't he end up back at Forest?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's it - were doomed!!! Scott Dann would have ensured a top 10 finish as well!
Now it will be back to Barnsley and Coventry next year, everyone will leave except Elokobi (no one will want him) and we will start again!

It's dissapointing we didn't bring in at least 1 more but I think it's a bit early for the prophets of doom. If we get injuries to 3 or 4 key players we will struggle as will any other side near the bottom. If we don't and they do however does that mean we will be ok or are we still going down anyway?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't see many players moving that I really wanted. Would have been nice but hardly devastating.

R

Rocky_Balllboa

We will stay up with or without injuries but lose the spine players and it becomes a big fight

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may be delusional but I think we'll be OK this season and am not too bothered that we havent seen fit to make any last ditch panic buys.If we continue to play well and with confidence perhaps we'll actually be less likely to suffer injuries and suspensions (but as someone above said these things do happen to all teams over the course of a long season in any case and should balance out overall)Lets get behind what we've got and I think they will do us proud.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most important thing is we lost no one, Doyle or Jarvis could easily have been snatched. Our squad is a lot stronger than it was this time last year and I'd argue the bottom of the league is weaker, we'll be fine.

Having been worried about the left back slot I'm a lot happier about that position too, Ward along with the rest of the defence is benefiting from having RJ in the team and George is becoming a good deputy.

D

Dewolf

Not good enough I'm affraid. It looks like were gambling on players remaining fit & with their previous histories I just can't see it, we are then back to basics scrapping a living around the relegation zone.

I would have happily sacrificed Edwards, Craddock, Vokes etc & £10m for 3 better players such as Jenas, Barton, Palacios, Dann etc to give us the quality needed for a top half/cup final push.

I hope this new stadium looks really nice when built.

Thank god you are not in charge of the club.

D

Danwolf

To be honest I'm more relieved that no one pinched any of our best players rather than disappointed at not signing anyone else. I dont undertstand why we are suddenly going to be scrapping to finish 17th because we didnt add anyone else yesterday.

D

Dewolf

I never quite understand the argument about injuries robbing us of key players.

Because this can only happen to us, and not to other clubs? Unless we are incredibly unlucky things will even themselves up over the course of a season.

Exactly. The argument seems to be that we're doing ok getting 7 points out of three games but if we have seven key players injured including all our first choice strikers, between now and January, we'll struggle. Man Utd would struggle without 7 first team players out so its a non-argument.

After a handful of games, we're a third of the way to getting the 21pts by christmas that would have us well on course for safety. Well on course.

So that's 14 points from the next 16 games. 3 more wins and 5 draws between now and the new year. With a full squad for at least a portion of that. And yet people probably didn't sleep last night because we didn't spend money bringing Jermaine Jenas to the club to sit on one of those heated chairs on the bench throughout the winter.

D

dazmanwolf

Other teams have weakened, so I don't see our chances have changed. We are on the up as opposed to some teams who were our equals last season.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
HOn the plus side we haven't lost anyone that we wanted to keep.

Negatives were the late strengthening by rivals particularly QPR, Wigan and Blackburn. On an individual basis disappointed. we didn't get Dann and ano midfielder.

Overall I think we under-rate a lot of our players who are now established in the Premier league and have a lot more quality that we probably think. We have belief on the field need it off the field too

We will finish near mid-table and maybe add one or two in January to help us get there.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose amidst all the back slapping from the 3 M's of our summer business and the state of the club in general there was never going to be time to strengthen our squad.

No, we're not going to go down, but an opportunity has been missed to further strengthen our squad and build on our decent start from a position of strength. An opportunity missed.

R

Redditch Wolves

We won't be going down so why you have to be an antagonising $$$$ to spark a reaction is beyond me.

But one thing I will say is that we have needed a left back and have done for years but again Mick has refused to bolster that position. Ward has made a great start to the season but he hasn't become Roberto Carlos over night plus in Elokobi who is the worse left back in the division is simply not good enough.

The strikers worry me as Doyle and Fletcher are top draw but prone to picking up niggles as the same for Ebanks Blake. But if we are relying on Vokes who again is not good enough for this level then heaven forbid we pick up injuries to Doyler and Fletch.

For me the club are taking a gamble on the fact the league isn't as good as last year which I agree however it's our third season now and we should be looking to be ambitous and push on as a net spend of £6 million is paultry with a profit we have shown and will show again this year.

It's no good building a new stadium when you don't have the players on the pitch to attract the fans in to the ground. For me the ground expansion has come to early as we coulden't even sell out for our first home game with one less stand so how on Earth will we fill out a bigger stadium?

wolf of sedgley

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even one more quality addition might have been enough to make a big difference so yes it is disappointing. Buying in January is always difficult and expensive. If we are lucky on injuries we should be ok. If not we may struggle again and that would be really annoying considering what we went through last season and the luck we had to survive.

We were not lucky to survive.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Key to me is that we have kept all of our players! We could easily be sitting here lamenting the loss of Doyle, Fletcher or Jarvis as one of the big boys swooped.

I would have liked us to bring in Dann to add to the squad but we have made a good start to the season, signed some good players and come through the final day of madness unscathed - Result!

Come on the Wolves

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I'm more relieved that no one pinched any of our best players rather than disappointed at not signing anyone else. I dont undertstand why we are suddenly going to be scrapping to finish 17th because we didnt add anyone else yesterday.

My feeling as well. Thank goodness the window is shut!:embarassed:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One goal with 3 minutes to go is as lucky as they come.

If we'd lost 3-2 to Sunderland and beaten Blackburn 3-1 you wouldn't be saying we were lucky.

40 poins is not lucky at all.

We did very very well to stay up after started the season like a car crash.

A

Andy Grays perm

Second least active premiership team in the summer transfer window! Would have been equal to Everton if you exclude the forced signing of De Vries. Mind we did spend a few bob more than the 'Toffemen'. Question for posters though. Were the comments made by Morgan et al at the end of May matched by appropriate action by the end of August?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't be going down so why you have to be an antagonising $$$$ to spark a reaction is beyond me.

But one thing I will say is that we have needed a left back and have done for years but again Mick has refused to bolster that position. Ward has made a great start to the season but he hasn't become Roberto Carlos over night plus in Elokobi who is the worse left back in the division is simply not good enough.

The strikers worry me as Doyle and Fletcher are top draw but prone to picking up niggles as the same for Ebanks Blake. But if we are relying on Vokes who again is not good enough for this level then heaven forbid we pick up injuries to Doyler and Fletch.

For me the club are taking a gamble on the fact the league isn't as good as last year which I agree however it's our third season now and we should be looking to be ambitous and push on as a net spend of £6 million is paultry with a profit we have shown and will show again this year.

It's no good building a new stadium when you don't have the players on the pitch to attract the fans in to the ground. For me the ground expansion has come to early as we coulden't even sell out for our first home game with one less stand so how on Earth will we fill out a bigger stadium?

I agree 100%

We almost certainly wont go down, as frankly teams like Swansea, Norwich and Blackburn provide some of the biggest dross to grace the premier league in years. However injuries to either Johnson, Henry or Doyle and we are at risk of being dragged into an unnecessarry relegation battle.

I am staggered that after 5 years we still havent signed a decent left back, and even more staggered that after 2 half decent games some people on here now proclaiming Berra to be some sort of Cannavaro like figure. Have you not watched him play the previous 2 years.

We have had a great start and, despite this post, i am more than happy with 99% of things at this great club of ours. I am just more than a little dissapointed that we seem to have totally forgotton everything prior to Sunderland away last year and are seriously over estimating the strength of some of our players.

I would also ask the question of when do we stop judging ourselves on finishing 17th as thats all that some on here ever harp on about. Surely the time has come to set our sights a bit higher!

wolf of sedgley

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the day if the players are not available to buy for a decent price / wages then there is no point spunking loads of money up the wall.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only wish was to get Scott Dann, although I am not hugely disappointed once all our important players remained at our fold, which was the most important, but the coming 2 home games against Spurs and QPR would be very good tests for our team to see how forward we have moved from last season.

M

Mr Wolf

I don't think anybody has said thats it we will go down now, just a few of us are disapointed that we haven't kicked on when it seems like we could have had a real chance.

But who knows, maybe we have kept a bit more back for January.

D

Deleted member 3604

I am staggered that after 5 years we still havent signed a decent left back, and even more staggered that after 2 half decent games some people on here now proclaiming Berra to be some sort of Cannavaro like figure. Have you not watched him play the previous 2 years.

I've watched Berra/Ward the last two seasons and have noticed how we have stayed up (justifiably) and how they have become better players. How many goals have we conceded this season? They are mid to lower table PL players and funnily enough that is where we are expected to be. Save the cash for a rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom