Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The North Bank Choir April 1970

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Sportsnight with Coleman - Kop Choirs Competition April 9 1970
Wolves North Bank starts at 13:45, for about one and a half minutes.
This is how I remember it, during the North Bank hey day 1967 to mid 70s.
Hundreds and hundreds of teenagers packed together creating a great atmosphere.
I am sure this clip will bring back happy memories for many of the vintage fans on here.

(Click Watch on YouTube (scroll a bit) for the North Bank Choir)

(Click Watch on YouTube for the whole episode of Sports Night with Coleman)

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sure this clip will bring back happy memories for many of the vintage fans on here.
(Click Watch on YouTube)
Absolutely superb and just as I remember it. A bit scary at times but glad to have been part of it (tried my level best to see if my boat race was on camera but not easy to tell unfortunately).

I wonder who the female was (and where she is now), as she was right in the middle of it . :)

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
I would have been in the old molineux street stand at that time- my dad thought the Cowshed (North Bank) was a den of iniquity and not a suitable place for a 10 year old. But from the early 70s when I was allowed to go to games on my own it was straight to the cowshed. Now I'm on the South Bank but the 60/70s cowshed was not somewhere for the faint hearted

What made me smile was the choice of the first song - it still gets the occasional outing now

Last edited:

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I would have been in the old molineux street stand at that time- my dad thought the Cowshed (North Bank) was a den of iniquity and not a suitable place for a 10 year old. But from the early 70s when I was allowed to go to games on my own it was straight to the cowshed. Now I'm on the South Bank but the 60/70s cowshed was not somewhere for the faint hearted

What made me smile was the choice of the first song - it still gets the occasional outing now
It did last Saturday v Chelsea, the North Bank started it of course.;)

Your story mirrors mine. Was 10, sat with my dad in the Molineux Street Stand for our mid 60s two second division seasons.
After the Doog arrived in March 1967, and looking good for promotion, the atmosphere on the North Bank really took off.
I began pestering my dad to take me there. He relented for the Easter Tuesday home match v Huddersfield, I was really happy.
But a massive crowd of 40,900 turned up, the North Bank was heaving, Peter Knowles scored, and being in the middle got crushed.
Dad said, never again, back in the Molineux Street Stand we went which included the 4-1 home win v Bury which confirmed promotion.
Back in the North Bank for the 67/68 season, initially central again but moved to the left by the roof support, the swaying forward was too much for dad.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
That is fantastic. Never seen that before.
Thanks Berlin!
Pleasure reans.
After years of searching on YouTube for it, gave up. But looked again and found it today.
I recall the cameras in front of the North Bank, and watching that episode on Sportsnight in 1970.
I thought it had been filmed before kick-off, ar the Leeds home game on 21st March, attendance 35,057.
(But with the help of NovaWolf1, probably filmed at the Easter Monday Liverpool home game on 30th March 1970)

Last edited:

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pleasure reans.
After years of searching on YouTube for it, gave up. But looked again and found it today.
I recall the cameras in front of the North Bank, and watching that episode on Sportsnight in 1970.
Think it was filmed before kick-off, the Leeds home game on 21st March, attendance 35,057.
(Not the Easter Monday Liverpool home game on 30th Match 1970)
I’ll certainly bow to your knowledge but I had thought it was filmed on Easter Monday, though I’d forgotten who we played. Great find anyway..memories of lost youth

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I’ll certainly bow to your knowledge but I had thought it was filmed on Easter Monday, though I’d forgotten who we played. Great find anyway..memories of lost youth
Could well have been the Easter Monday Liverpool game. I wasn't quite sure with it being 53 years ago. Thanks for confirming.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember and participate in this. :rolleyes:
Brings back great memories of the times, as a fanatical teenager, I travelled up to Molineux with London Wolves and then on my own on the train and stood on the NB. I wish the film had been shot further back to get some perspective. I remember trying to get behind the goal but midway up and the mass falling forward when we scored. Total mayhem. No bloody health and safety back then; just a bloody good time.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes I remember it well. I was only 13 at the time, at the front of the North bank [to mental at that young age to be up the back] .
I remember the cameras setting up at the front of the North Bank. What is a bit unusual about the footage was the choir was usually positioned at the back and mainly under the roof. But when the cameras rolled up the choir surged forward towards the font to get on camera as it was, hence a load of youngsters like my self caught up in it!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I remember it well. I was only 13 at the time, at the front of the North bank [to mental at that young age to be up the back] .
I remember the cameras setting up at the front of the North Bank. What is a bit unusual about the footage was the choir was usually positioned at the back and mainly under the roof. But when the cameras rolled up the choir surged forward towards the font to get on camera as it was, hence a load of youngsters like my self caught up in it!
still got my membership card for the NBC away supporters club

Rowzed

Reaction score
I knew Robbie Keane always supported us as a kid, and George Best, never realised Alex Rae was a north bank regular, he kept that under his hat

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We used to start queuing at 1 o’clock to get in the North Bank. If it was raining we were soaked before we got into the ground.
I think I've said before that the London Wolves coach dropped you by the main entrance on Waterloo Rd and you entered Molineux and could mix with the players who just seemed to be hanging around and get their autographs. Can you imagine this as a young Wolves mad teenager who had travelled up to the far North to see his heroes?! Then you went out via the players door in the corner and entered the NB and tried to work your way towards the middle. None of this queueing in the rain rubbish! Stuff of dreams.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brings back great memories of the times, as a fanatical teenager, I travelled up to Molineux with London Wolves and then on my own on the train and stood on the NB. I wish the film had been shot further back to get some perspective. I remember trying to get behind the goal but midway up and the mass falling forward when we scored. Total mayhem. No bloody health and safety back then; just a bloody good time.
There was a skill to standing on those old terraces and staying upright. You also had to be very aware of where you stood so you didn’t get trapped on the barriers propping up half the South Bank.

You could always tell when it was someone’s first time on the terrace as they started very happy, often thinking it would be nice to lean on the barriers, after the first Wolves attack and the surge down they would be looking terrified and trying to manoeuvre their way to the edge of the crowd.

kapitiwolf

Reaction score
Oh my god,watching the video brought a bloody great smile to go with my eyes filling up and grabbing a hanky I would always stand at the same barrier just behind the goalposts near the stantion.Thankyou Berlin for turning back in time to my happiest times of my young life. I also had forgot Rotherham won the final.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I loved the cowshed back then. Young fans too. Great great days

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in there somewhere!! Happy days.
Remember one game my specs got knocked off my head. Everybody spread and made a clear circle to help me look for them. I found them!!

Mine went flying one game in a 1-3 defeat to chelsea in the mid 70s. We went 1-0 up on about 3 minutes and specs went flying - never found them. I think it was a Clive Walker hat trick against.

Stingray II

Reaction score
A little after that video, I started attending games. I wasn't a sports fan, probably not one still. I only watch football and usually only the games that have some impact on Wolves. .
I was a bored adolescent and home life was not good. I needed to stay out of the house as much as I could. My schoolboy mate took me along to the North Bank when I was 13 yrs old and I'd never experienced anything like it. Right into the thick of it; half way up, behind the goal, the passion, the hatred towards the "enemy" across the way, the fear of getting crushed and my feet leaving the ground in a push forward, the ecstasy of a goal. It was the most exciting and intimidating day. Something really special was going on in this place and I was always coming back. It was the excitement and adventure that came first. Then, the North Bankers became like a Saturday family and I made friends and we travelled to away games together. After many games I began to learn about and understand football, but never to the extent that many of you on here do. The technical discussions go over my head. It was the other things that really bonded me to Wolves. Decades later, living in America, I can't miss a game. 7.00 am tomorrow - can't wait.. That North Bank at that time was very special for me. I can still smell and taste it. Thanks for posting, Berlin Wolf.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That was brilliant

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The North Bank choir, so many great memories.

The comradeship was second to none, home and away.

Me and my mates always stood in the same place in the cowshed and that place was always reserved for us no matter what time we arrived after a few pints and a game of snooker in North Road working man’s club.

Roger Burton was one of the organisers that applied for our entry into the competition if memory serves me right.

Oh and I’m sure I caught a glimpse of my much younger self in that melee :)

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
fabulous memories and remember this event,i must be on there somewhere as it is where we used to stand.you would never get away with this in todays sterile society and health and safety regulations but the ensuing mayhem made for more fun and you always seemed to feel more involved.oh and by the way these north bankers never left 15 minutes before the end!!

Rowzed

Reaction score
A little after that video, I started attending games. I wasn't a sports fan, probably not one still. I only watch football and usually only the games that have some impact on Wolves. .
I was a bored adolescent and home life was not good. I needed to stay out of the house as much as I could. My schoolboy mate took me along to the North Bank when I was 13 yrs old and I'd never experienced anything like it. Right into the thick of it; half way up, behind the goal, the passion, the hatred towards the "enemy" across the way, the fear of getting crushed and my feet leaving the ground in a push forward, the ecstasy of a goal. It was the most exciting and intimidating day. Something really special was going on in this place and I was always coming back. It was the excitement and adventure that came first. Then, the North Bankers became like a Saturday family and I made friends and we travelled to away games together. After many games I began to learn about and understand football, but never to the extent that many of you on here do. The technical discussions go over my head. It was the other things that really bonded me to Wolves. Decades later, living in America, I can't miss a game. 7.00 am tomorrow - can't wait.. That North Bank at that time was very special for me. I can still smell and taste it. Thanks for posting, Berlin Wolf.
Stingray, probably about the same age. I was 13 in ‘71 and we walked up the Alley to the north bank (with an older brother). we always tried to get behind the goal but often got there so late it was a challenge to even get down the steps. Coming out onto the terrace there was constant pressure from those behind pushing you into the crowd in front. If a goal was scored and you were still in the aisle then the surge would take you down 20 steps with your feet scrabbling for purchase. Not often anyone fell as you were propped up by those around. Subsequent stadium disasters changed everything and rightly so, but….

it was magical and terrifying at the same time. I’d been earlier in the sixties to seats on he Waterloo Road, I can’t remember exactly when we were considered old enough to go on the terrace but I do remember paying in old money so must have been pre decimalisation. the team of the early 70s and the shed end was when my passion was forged and it has never dimmed.

R

reanswolf

I knew Robbie Keane always supported us as a kid, and George Best, never realised Alex Rae was a north bank regular, he kept that under his hat
Who told you that about Robbie Keane and Alex Rae. Robbie Keane was a wait for it............surprise surprise...............Celtic and Liverpool fan.
Yes I knew Best was a Wolves fan as a kid, same as Dennis Irwin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my early years on the North Bank, it scared the crap out of me and I'm not sure I didn't see the odd ruck going on between our own fans (unless it was against opposition supporters who'd infiltrated our end?).

Initially, I would position myself near the front, behind the goal, but as I grew older I became more comfortable with my surroundings and started to queue early so as to get a spot in the middle, but even then there were times when shifty types would look you up and down as though they were checking you out. :)

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was certainly in there somewhere aged 20 with a grade one haircut lol
Brilliant memories of the Cowshed atmosphere from those days

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
I love the fact that those of us of a certain vintage call the NB the cowshed. I had to show my 3O year old son a picture of old molineux so he knew why it was called the cowshed.

For me molinuex lost some of its soul when it quite rightly had to come down.I

If you could go back in time and watch just one game again from the cowshed which one would it be? For me the day the Doog scored a hattrick against Hull on his home debut - I watched from the molineux st stand but that game always gives me goosebumps the atmosphere in the Cowshed must have been amazing

Back
Top Bottom