Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The no crowd effect !!

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No surprise to me that likes of villa , Newcastle , Everton and West Ham seem to be thriving in empty stadiums without the pressure of all their entitled fans !! Bet they don’t want fans to come back , on the other hand I think it’s effecting is the opposite way and we play off the crowd and that’s why the tempo of our game seems effected ...
Up until 3 years ago our crowd was pretty similar to these clubs until nuno came in and worked his magic , we have been super spoilt the last 3 seasons and have graciously shown our appreciation with some fantastic support !! Roll on when we can go back and be that 12th man once again ....

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's certainly having an effect when teams go down by a goal or two no crowd to lift them and help them stay in or get back in the game.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think there is no advantage playing at home without the fans which seems to have been proved with some of the scores (Ignoring Villas win tonight).

Nuno has always said how much he misses the fans and they are our twelfth man.

It is going to take time for players getting used to the lack of an atmosphere at empty stadiums and there is going to be some more crazy results because of it.

Every match in the Premier League is producing a winning result. How many draws have there been? Surely this would never have happened if things were back to normal would it?

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread along these lines recently. I have no evidence to back it up, more of a gut feeling.
Even our away support make their voices heard. As can be shown by Nunos first pumps to the crowd after the final whistle.
As I say, just a feeling.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds unusual but our sitting back after scoring makes a bit more sense to keep the players minds' focused. We are going to get into that 'game' mode in order to facilitate not having the 12th man.

D

Deleted member 4008

No surprise to me that likes of villa , Newcastle , Everton and West Ham seem to be thriving in empty stadiums without the pressure of all their entitled fans !! Bet they don’t want fans to come back , on the other hand I think it’s effecting is the opposite way and we play off the crowd and that’s why the tempo of our game seems effected ...
Up until 3 years ago our crowd was pretty similar to these clubs until nuno came in and worked his magic , we have been super spoilt the last 3 seasons and have graciously shown our appreciation with some fantastic support !! Roll on when we can go back and be that 12th man once again ....
Maybe they have improved their teams so better players equals better results and more goals

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread along these lines recently. I have no evidence to back it up, more of a gut feeling.
Even our away support make their voices heard. As can be shown by Nunos first pumps to the crowd after the final whistle.
As I say, just a feeling.
There's a strong connect between Nuno, the players and the crowd. There is distance between Villa fans, Smith and the players - same as there is distance at West Ham, Newcastle and moaning Everton.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool missing their fans to help the headless chicken press

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst the lack of crowd is definitely having an adverse effect on some clubs, I think the lack of pre-season and close season rest is more to blame for the poor performances we’re witnessing.
I think that may be why some teams aren't playing great, and then the lack of crowd on top of that turns a poor performance into a really poor result, as it is even more difficult to try and raise your game to get back in a match when there is no crowd.

After the goal fest at the start of the season we may later see a goal drought as teams look to stop shipping goals and set up more defensively

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst the lack of crowd is definitely having an adverse effect on some clubs, I think the lack of pre-season and close season rest is more to blame for the poor performances we’re witnessing.
100%

When it all started back up again in June without crowds, matches still went pretty much how you would expect them to. These mad results are mainly down to sides being at different levels of fitness and sharpness

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to do with crowds in my opinion. More to do with our negative style of play at present which is going to have to change soon.

John Williams

Groupie
Reaction score
I think some of it is probably down to a lack of performance anxiety. Read a book years ago about how sometimes the biggest difference between a top class player and a lower leagues player is their ability to handle the stress of the big occasion. I’ve certainly known guys I played with who were amazing on the training pitch and average on a Saturday. I think we’re seeing the true ability show through of players who are held back by performance anxiety. On the flip side some players are spurred on by the big match atmosphere so their performance levels are lower. Whatever the cause, it’s certainly making for an interesting start to the season!

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing to do with crowds in my opinion. More to do with our negative style of play at present which is going to have to change soon.

You do realise this thread isn’t just about Wolves though right? Strange score lines and below par performances are happening, it’s a fact. One week Leicester ******* Man City by five, the next week they are losing 3-0 to West Ham.

The top three teams in the country last season have all conceded at least five goals inside a week.

I don’t think it’s Just the lack of crowds, though that’s had some impact, I think it’s lack of preseason, time on the trading pitches and the strange world we live in too. It’s unsettling.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do realise this thread isn’t just about Wolves though right? Strange score lines and below par performances are happening, it’s a fact. One week Leicester ******* Man City by five, the next week they are losing 3-0 to West Ham.

The top three teams in the country last season have all conceded at least five goals inside a week.

I don’t think it’s Just the lack of crowds, though that’s has some impact, I think it’s lack of preseasons and the strange world we live in too. It’s unsettling.

Realise that but dont think lack of crowds should be an excuse when other sides seem to be doing so well without them.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why hasnt it effected Leeds, Villa, Everton?

They are the perfect examples of teams who are middle tier, play pressing football, had a 3 weeks preseason and weren't in any cup competitions this year.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Theres clearly a number of factors in play here, lack of or unusual pre seasons, no crowds and so on. West ham dont turn into a good team overnight, and leicester dont thrash man city one week and spanked the next, and liverpool get tonked by a bottom half team. Whatever gods are in play, im sure it will settle down after 10 games

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You dont think our style of play is negative at present? I say as I see it. It looks negative and cautious. Hardly complete nonsense.
Eh the more I look at it, if we had attacked and gone gung ho then we would have been on the end of a spanking.

It's not much of a surprise that some clubs akin to ourselves are really struggling. Hindsight is 20/20 but shutting up and trying to nick a 1-0 to just get points on the board is actually rather astute, especially when we look at teams with the same "off season" as us looking shattered (ala United and City).

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You dont think our style of play is negative at present? I say as I see it. It looks negative and cautious. Hardly complete nonsense.
No, I’m not saying that. What i am referring to is the fact no crowd is having a huge impact on games.

Arguably, I actually think that having a more conservative, controlled approach may actually help us more than it hinders us throughout the course of the season.

Would I rather we win 7-2 than 1-0, course I would. Will Nuno ever set up a team to play that way, course he won’t.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ginola on SSN this morning (and he has played the game,you know).... no crowd has a massive effect.
Think some are underestimating the effect a crowd ,literally, cheers a team on.....especially a positive crowd .

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ginola on SSN this morning (and he has played the game,you know).... no crowd has a massive effect.
Think some are underestimating the effect a crowd ,literally, cheers a team on.....especially a positive crowd .

shooting into the south bank, i am certain our crowd helped us beat man city last season

the mass feeling of sheer injustice from the refereeing and VAR was palpable. Beautiful

how i miss 30k ****ed off wolves fans getting behind their team

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
shooting into the south bank, i am certain our crowd helped us beat man city last season

the mass feeling of sheer injustice from the refereeing and VAR was palpable. Beautiful

Absolutely!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

yeah not a chance man city play as well as they did first half against us if fans were there fuming at that sterling dive

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think having no pre-season is affecting those teams that returned late. Effectively our pre-season started the Thursday before Sheffield Utd. Nuno like time on training pitch and he hasn’t had that.

Secondly, I do wonder whether the transfer window has created a distraction finishing so late into the season. It creates distractions for players and staff.

I do think the lack of fans is having a ‘levelling affect’. It’s been mentioned about lack of performance anxiety for some and I think it’s also affecting those players who up their game when their is a big occasion. However professional you are the atmosphere is like a training game, if you are a Moutinho etc who’ve played in the biggest occasions they use that atmosphere to lift their game to another level. That’s missing.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a few ideas about this

1) crowd helps motivate a team
2) some players play better in a training ground environment
3) some players need the crowd to motivate them to perform
4) crowds help teams stay in games by keeping them honest
5) some players play better without the expectation and pressure a crowd creates

It's a different game with no fans there

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lets face it, the TV companies can put on sound effects to give the impression it's top level football and clubs can put a big blanket on empty seats to hide them but these games are nothing but glorified training sessions. The atmosphere of a packed stadium brings out the best in top players - the intensity and concentration goes to another level when there's 30000-70000 people there glued to your every touch. Also players who struggle with the atmosphere or nerves will flourish, they'll try passes or shots they wouldn't dare attempt in a full stadium.

Open the stadiums now! This is not Premier League football.

Back
Top Bottom