Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The morning after

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, I never saw that coming and I’ve not slept ( for god's sake Wolves !)
I think we will all be mightily relieved when this dreadful season is over and JL has the chance to mould his squad in the summer.

Yesterday was just not acceptable and they owe us all a performance and result against the Villa.

I still think we have enough points already to be safe but we need to finish the season now showing pride & character. I guess there will be many comings and goings in the summer and the squad needs realignment and balancing.
The 3 to go down seems to change weekly but it does look like Saints, Forest & 1 from Leicester, Everton & Leeds ( are West Ham safe ?)
Forest must be so low after that.
Anyway, we are Wolves …..

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say we need a total clearout, but there are quite a few in this squad I’ve lost patience with this season, and yesterdays complete embarrassment has completely cemented it for me. Surely Lopetegui must feel similar?

Bloke needs another 4 or 5 quality players, and a few of the current ones clearly need binning off sharpish in the summer.

A new GK, RB and Striker are all desperately needed IMV

Wolf_Words

Reaction score
xG was Brighton 3.29 - 0.52 Wolves, which isn't much better but it would have hurt slightly less.
Thing is, xG doesn't speak to the complete lack of attitude, structure, or application of any sort of clear plan. We are almost over the line and that is down to Lopetegui's work, but it shows how much more work is needed this summer if we want to have a different season.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just concerns me a bit that we all know there is a lot of work to do in the summer, but we dont normally do that much business (one or two in, one or two out) and each season we start back up again in August with pretty much the same 9 or 10 players starting, same tactics etc.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Yesterday was a horror show from our point of view. The way we played even the likes of Forest and Southampton would have beaten us, we just happened to have a bad day against a good side with something to prove.

It doesn’t define our season and we can’t let it. On Boxing Day if you’d have offered me an 8 point gap to the bottom 3 with 4 games left, I’d have ripped your arm off. We’ve done well under Julen largely, we’ve had a few poor performances but most teams in our position do.

I think let’s get to the end of the season, I think we’ll stay up now, everyone can breathe and then the hard work starts sorting out the squad.

COYW!

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me that it might have been some kind of relief hangover from the previous week when the players finally realised that after months of stress and uncertainty, we almost certainly had escaped relegation, and they completely lost focus and took their foot off the gas. I wonder if there were any celebrations amongst the players after the Palace result?
Need to refocus again and do the job they're paid for quickly.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Seems to me that it might have been some kind of relief hangover from the previous week when the players finally realised that after months of stress and uncertainty, we almost certainly had escaped relegation, and they completely lost focus and took their foot off the gas. I wonder if there were any celebrations amongst the players after the Palace result?
Need to refocus again and do the job they're paid for quickly.
We said this last night, I think you look at how much the club and players bigged up that Palace game, even though he won’t admit it I think Julen thought win that and we’re done. The celebrations at full time probably confirm that too. Doesn’t excuse yesterdays mess but it makes sense.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
A bit of a perfect storm for me, we were suffering a hangover from a great result/safety. Brighton had put everything into the cup game, lost a disappointing game straight after and were looking for a big result

Not defending it at all but could see it was going to be a tough day (just not that tough)

This whole season wants putting in the bin.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a mentally draining season this has been, topped off by yesterday's absolute **** show. Tell you what, if we weren't virtually safe that away end I was in would've turned very toxic very quickly. It gives Lopetegui clear answers going into the summer though who needs to be gone next season.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worrying that he has watched exactly the same games as us, and thinks that that approach was the right one to go with

Makes zero sense

He said himself we need more bodies in the box , so we proceed to play costa on his own nowhere near anyone else?

Every other time we have tried this with only 2 attackers we have been horrednous and it isn’t surprising , yet he still thinks it’s a good idea . Madness

hopefully back to 4-2-4 next week and back to winning ways

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worry for me is I just don't see many of these players able to perform better next season. For instance I don't see Kilman, Collins, Semedo, getting any better with coaching as they frankly have hit their level . The same could be said about 8/10 others in the squad .

Will need to move a fair few of them on in the summer .

The other issue is recruitment. As Sarabia looks a poor signing.Cunha I hope comes good but he is not a goal scorer. So JL needs to get a better calibre of player in but that might be £50/£60million each on 2/3 players .

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Just a mentally draining season this has been, topped off by yesterday's absolute **** show. Tell you what, if we weren't virtually safe that away end I was in would've turned very toxic very quickly. It gives Lopetegui clear answers going into the summer though who needs to be gone next season.
I suppose that’s one positive, clear as day who was battling for the shirt yesterday and who wasn’t. Second half especially.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope, it wasn’t a bad dream. It’s still as bad this morning as yesterday!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The truth is we've been (sorta) playing with fire for a while now. Looking nervous, far too passive and defensive minded, letting teams dictate the tempo, playing the game far too much in our own third and, honestly, we've got away with it for the most part. Some great defending coupled with a bit of luck as oppositions failed to take chances. But yesterday was the culmination of all that and then some.

It's too late in the season to do anything about it now but I really hope this is not the playstyle the coaching staff have in mind next year.

Wolf of Salop

Groupie
Reaction score
I suppose that’s one positive, clear as day who was battling for the shirt yesterday and who wasn’t. Second half especially.
Out of interest, who was and who wasn't? I can't bring myself to watch the game.
Edit. Just seen your reply to someone else- thank you.

SellyWolf

Reaction score
Wow, I never saw that coming and I’ve not slept ( for god's sake Wolves !)
I think we will all be mightily relieved when this dreadful season is over and JL has the chance to mould his squad in the summer.

Yesterday was just not acceptable and they owe us all a performance and result against the Villa.

I still think we have enough points already to be safe but we need to finish the season now showing pride & character. I guess there will be many comings and goings in the summer and the squad needs realignment and balancing.
The 3 to go down seems to change weekly but it does look like Saints, Forest & 1 from Leicester, Everton & Leeds ( are West Ham safe ?)
Forest must be so low after that.
Anyway, we are Wolves …..

We all love Wolves and it’s important and all that - but did you seriously not sleep as a result of losing yesterday?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
xG was Brighton 3.29 - 0.52 Wolves, which isn't much better but it would have hurt slightly less.
Thing is, xG doesn't speak to the complete lack of attitude, structure, or application of any sort of clear plan. We are almost over the line and that is down to Lopetegui's work, but it shows how much more work is needed this summer if we want to have a different season.
If you're going to use xG then you might argue the result has been coming. Although we've been picking up points of late, our xG still hasn't been particularly good. With the exception of the Leeds game we've managed to win despite 'losing' on xG. But as you rightly say, xG doesn't address attitude. Doesn't matter about skill or talent, doesn't matter what level you're playing at, if you don't want to win you won't.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you're going to use xG then you might argue the result has been coming. Although we've been picking up points of late, our xG still hasn't been particularly good. With the exception of the Leeds game we've managed to win despite 'losing' on xG. But as you rightly say, xG doesn't address attitude. Doesn't matter about skill or talent, doesn't matter what level you're playing at, if you don't want to win you won't.
I saw that Brighton this year have something like 3.8 XG higher than everyone, including Man City, in the league

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton movement was superb but we looked like 11 random blokes chucked together to give Brighton a warm up game before the start of a season. A bit of self pride kept some of our lot running and chasing but that’s it.

No shape or idea and no interest, with heads already on the beach and looking forward to a few months off.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is the morning after and I woke up, which is always a bonus.. :)

I may be misguided and totally wrong, but I just put I’d down to one of those days when everything that could go wrong, did. go wrong. There is no point crying over spilt milk, the manager and team need to move on to the next game.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let’s face it this season has been ****. From the heady days of Nuno’s first PL season the team has gradually been getting ****ter. This season all boils down to **** poor transfer windows since close season 2018. It looks like we’re going to survive by the skin of our teeth but I hope this acts as a wake up call for Jeff and the club. Targeting players who look good in Portugal or France or wherever does not necessarily mean they can do the business in the PL. The outgoings and incomings this summer need to be so much better or we’ll be in a similar or worse situation next season.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
If the general assumption is we need a couple of points to be certain of staying up and avoid panic on the final day then im still confused as to why we didn’t set up to frustrate Brighton. We have seen they can play some lovely football so I was expecting us to defend and try and hit them on the break.

Remember that horrible game against Chelsea when Nuno went back to basics after some bad results. It was a horrible game to watch but we ground out a result. Something similar yesterday would have been fine for me.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe I’m wired all wrong but I was ten times more deflated last weekend after the Leicester match. If I’m being totally honest, I was more annoyed Albion managed to fluke a win yesterday than I was with our defeat.

This season has drained the life out of me. It’s now one game closer to being over and I get the feeling, rightly or wrongly, many of the staff feel the same.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe I’m wired all wrong but I was ten times more deflated last weekend after the Leicester match. If I’m being totally honest, I was more annoyed Albion managed to fluke a win yesterday than I was with our defeat.

This season has drained the life out of me. It’s now one game closer to being over and I get the feeling, rightly or wrongly, many of the staff feel the same.
Spot on. Leicester we wilted and didn’t have the fight in us to turn the tide when one big thing went against us when we were still level. The manager panicked and the players didn’t react well to suddenly not being in control.

That defeat left me genuinely angry. Yesterday didn’t.

Back
Top Bottom