Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Mick McCarthy Legacy

Tired&Emotional

Groupie
Reaction score
A complete inability to defend.

Inadequate when we won the Championship and then never improved on. Total refit needed. I'd replace every member of the defence if it were possible.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm glad we've got one of these threads. We've only covered this about 196,089 times before.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
tired and emotional of these $$$$ing threads....

D

Dorset DeWolf

What a $$$$ing $$$$ thread, think before you start typing utter $$$$$$$$ just for the sake of it

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stale has had them for how long? To blame this on Mick shows your vendetta.

It is not good enough.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Mick thread ffs the guy has nothing to do with the club anymore i couldnt less about him now if you havent realised we have a NEW manager

S

Sandwell Wolf

Here's a Mick McCarthy legacy.

£15m for Fletcher (£8m profit)
£10m for Jarvis (£9.2m profit)
£3m for Kightly (£2.975m profit)

Last edited by a moderator:

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So time enough to improve.

He's seen how useless we were over the summer through the DVDs. He's had a month to either a) improve the defender we have and get them the way he wants to play or b) sign players who can play the way he want.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I firmly believe the players themselves are good enough for this league. It's the organisation, or lack of.

E

Edgmond Wolf

A complete inability to defend.

Inadequate when we won the Championship and then never improved on. Total refit needed. I'd replace every member of the defence if it were possible.

MM left eight months ago.......:turtle:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For once, I actually agree with a Mick McCarthy thread.

M

Mugwump

Stale has had them for how long? To blame this on Mick shows your vendetta.

It is not good enough.

I dont have a Mick vendetta but i agree that the poor defence is a legacy of Micks time in charge. Its going to take more than a month or so to change the mentality of these players. These defenders were signed with Micks style of play in mind. Watching today, none of the current back four will adapt to that style imo. Ward and Zubar were awful and Stears had a mare. Roger actually did quite well and he could prove me wrong.

My only critiscm of Stale so far is that i do think he should have got one defender in by now. If he watched all those DVD's he would clearly see we are incapable of defending as a unit.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Mick thread ffs the guy has nothing to do with the club anymore i couldnt less about him now if you havent realised we have a NEW manager

Agree 100%..................BUT

The Club stills smells like Mick McCarthy is about...
Championship players from 3/4 years ago still in 1st team.
TC still trying to give new mangers his views.

We need a complete change of attitude and get rid of Mick

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Umm do you know what legacy means?
You beat me to it. The clue is in the word legacy.
how many new players did Leeds have? How many of them would any of you been happy to have here?
The things that worry me about Stale is he sticking losers like Henry, Ward, etc.
Leeds for the first 60 minutes carved us apart. Better in every respect of their play.
We came back into it a bit later but our sharpness is not there. Doyle and Blake had no threat. The new boys looked the best of a bad bunch and Ikeme played well.
Morgan needs to do more if Stale is going to make an impact although he may not turn out to be the messiah.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ironically, we'd have won that match today under Mick....

M

Mugwump

Ironically, we'd have won that match today under Mick....

No we wouldnt. He would have probably had Egg and Edwards in midfield, we would have had no doumbia and Pez and we would have hoofed it even more.

Hollywood_wolf

Reaction score
No we wouldnt. He would have probably had Egg and Edwards in midfield, we would have had no doumbia and Pez and we would have hoofed it even more.

Absolutely spot on.

We played Hoddlesque football, but without the draw.

It is going to be a long season and whilst it was hodlesque Stale needs to be given the time to build his own team with a style of play. He knows little about the league and it will take 12 months to get up to speed.

Gotta stick with it and enjoy the ride, but it's going to be a bumpy one.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well i actually totally agree with the thread starter for what its worth.

The mess MM left us in should not be underestimated.

I am however feeling even more confident (weirdly) after today that Stale cant sort things out and really move us forward.

L

long ball man

Right, I am not going to condemn Stale on the basis of one game BUT this could well end in tears.

I am sick of having to repeat myself to be honest but all we have done is replaced a manager with certain attributes and deficiuencies, reacted to that and appointed someone who is his polar opposite in terms of style of play, experience of English football, belief in signing foreign players etc etc

This creates two problems.

1. You parachute a bloke in and expect him to change the culture of the club. Yet there has been no discernible change in structure in terms of scouting staff, coaches etc Basically we are putting all our eggs in Stale's basket whilst tieing his hands beyond his back in terms of him inheriting a squad ill equipped to play his way and backed up by an entire coaching staff who were McCarthy's men.

2. The culture itself...passing football etc is worryingly similar to that which Messrs Hoddle and McGhee were asked to implement...again as kneejerk reactions to perceived shortcomings of managers who played more of a traditional Wolves style, Taylor and Jones.

Personally if we aren't going to change the structure of the club I would have gone for a better version of McCarthy than bringing in someone so different...that way at least building on what we had. Lots of babies being thrown out with bathwater at the moment.

The solution - a DoF; ironically I think Solbakken may be a credible candidate for this post.

M

Mr Wolf

We lost because we have no confidence it's that simple. Our players were better we just don't have that winning feeling anymore.

We should have played the under 18's all pre season and won 5-0 everygame.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
our season will start Tuesday when we beat Barnsley, get the wining feeling back and we should be ok.

L

long ball man

our season will start Tuesday when we beat Barnsley, get the wining feeling back and we should be ok.

Not really the point though is it.

This thread is about legacy and how the club is/isn't going to progress under the current regime.

We as supporters with the best interests of Wolverhampton Wanderers at heart need to start asking some serious qurestions of the boiard and the fact that last season's incompetence has been glossed over and not learnt from. Appointing a new manager won't cut it. We need root and btranch reform of the entire football structure.

If we just react to each result we are letting Morgan and Moxey off the hook.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well i actually totally agree with the thread starter for what its worth.

The mess MM left us in should not be underestimated.

I am however feeling even more confident (weirdly) after today that Stale cant sort things out and really move us forward.

I also feel more confident, but am struggling to describe why:confused:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also feel more confident, but am struggling to describe why:confused:

Me too and I think it’s because there are some obvious ways to improve the team. New fullbacks, another CH and another CM and we’ll be flying! :D

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if Stale wants to accomplish something good he needs to stop treadingh carefully and get rid off Mick's boys and the TC

L

long ball man

Bit peed off with this thread tbh.

Quite a sensible conversation on legacy and how you apportion responsibility for the current situation becomes a name calling thread.
The post by Barnet Wolves is a case in point.

Personally I think blaming things on a manager who departed 6 months ago is a bit rich...there are more important things than who the manager is as my previous two contributions show to which precisely nobody responds.

Oh well let's go onto the Barnsley prediction thread...last game and next game are all that matters aren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. I won't. You come back when you start talking sense
Nice knowing you.

Do you really believe that watching DVDs and a few friendlies is sufficient time to sort out a defence?

Today’s display will be worth more than all that time watching DVDs and I think he will realise new personnel are required not more training.

S

SimplyTheWolves

I think if Stale wants to accomplish something good he needs to stop treadingh carefully and get rid off Mick's boys and the TC

I think Stale's got his plans mapped out as far as the team is concerned, it just needs a little time Barnet.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit peed off with this thread tbh.

Quite a sensible conversation on legacy and how you apportion responsibility for the current situation becomes a name calling thread.
The post by Barnet Wolves is a case in point.

Personally I think blaming things on a manager who departed 6 months ago is a bit rich...there are more important things than who the manager is as my previous two contributions show to which precisely nobody responds.

Oh well let's go onto the Barnsley prediction thread...last game and next game are all that matters aren't they?

Do you really believe that watching DVDs and a few friendlies is sufficient time to sort out a defence?

Today’s display will be worth more than all that time watching DVDs and I think he will realise new personnel are required not more training.

Sadly Barnet Wolf and I seldom agree and it degenerates from there. Apologies.

I think it is mighty harsh to blame Mick who went 7 months ago.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly Barnet Wolf and I seldom agree and it degenerates from there. Apologies.

I think it is mighty harsh to blame Mick who went 7 months ago.

The players that he brought to the club are his legacy and I think the defenders in particular are not good enough to get us back to the PL. I think Ward and Stearman are just about ok if they play to the best of their ability but as soon as they drop below this they are sadly lacking. It’s a shame Berra wants out - I suspect it is a case of not wanting to play in a zonal system. As for Zubar - he is only a step above Elokobi and that means second division Sunday League rather than third division Sunday league standard.

If we are going to challenge for promotion I think we need at least two new defenders.

Back
Top Bottom