Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is it isn't it we had a small squad and we have let players like Saiss,Hoever, Marcal, Ruddy and also possibly Moutinho go with zero players in! We all knew we needed a big squad and different options so to start pre season with even fewer numbers and fewer senior first team players is really bad and really not good enough after the last couple of transfer windows we have had.

I re watched parts of Jeff Shi's ask Wolves interview and the part where he says I THINK we will have a new team next season. Surely at that stage the club should be already planning on how the squad will look not "I think" seems all a bit unorganised and to not even have one player in yet suggests that is the case.

If it is complacency or something bigger whatever it is it is a huge worry at the moment.
It’s quite clear from the interviews that the people who run this club are a shambles

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weekend seems to have bought the apocalypse again , four horesman and all.

The internationals are back tomorrow, i have said it before if we havent had realistic info, about moutinho, mgw resigning and or physical signings or concrete evidence by the end of next week. Then i think panic can come.

There is a lot of movement still to be had this july, there are plenty of mendes carousel's still to be done, guedes etc. We havent seen de jong move as such yet.

Just try to wait it out, i know it hard, im getting twitchy too, nunes isnt going to happen, but i forsee something/. even if our net spend is only 20m

That game on the 9th of July is the date for me

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am very happy with the trajectory of the club over the past 7 years since I stood in the terraces at Stevenage Borough. We have not flirted with relegation at all in the last 4 years, and whilst the end of last season was very disappointing and we have not bought anyone yet I am still hopeful that we will cement our position as a middle ranking (6-14th PL) team.
I do not see breaking in to the “sky 6” or in to the CL places as being remotely realistic.
How are you happy with 0 to spend the last 3 years? And gaping holes in that stale squad.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The internationals are back tomorrow, i have said it before if we havent had realistic info, about moutinho, mgw resigning and or physical signings or concrete evidence by the end of next week. Then i think panic can come.

There is a lot of movement still to be had this july, there are plenty of mendes carousel's still to be done, guedes etc. We havent seen de jong move as such yet.

Just try to wait it out, i know it hard, im getting twitchy too, nunes isnt going to happen, but i forsee something/. even if our net spend is only 20m

Yes I agree but it won’t be us mendes will only sell his players to clubs who have money

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This money element, is all assumptions, we have been told we have money for the right players. If we sell neves we have more cash to inject, otherwise we dont.

No we are not going to spend 70m without sales, but there will be funds for other purchases.

Its more selling wolves, who at the moment are a mid table side, who slumped last year. we finish positively could be an easier sell, we could at least have conference league.

If we havent purchased anyone by the end of the window.

Then i happily will say we have no money.

Sidaway

Reaction score
The only time we panic is if we end up in the relegation places come Christmas. No point panicking about no signings - we have to hope the returning players and full squad can improve their performances to make sure we’re safe.

The strategy has now become clear, we don’t have money to spend on new players. And we’re struggling to sell our sellable assets. Our only hope of new players could be from the loan market.

Time for us to unfortunately realign our own expectations for this season and this transfer window.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very sensible post.

It's clear we hoped to have £50/60m in Neves money and that has change the plans, both in who to invest in to cover Neves Loss, and how much money is spare for other positions.

I still maintain there is £20m or so to spend without selling anyone, keeping Neves while good at one level is bad in terms of his value next year if he doesn't sign a one year extension.

Getting him to sign a one year extension at £50k a week would cost £2.6m, but must add £10/15m to next year's transfer fee - so economical its a no brainer from the clubs point of view.

I would also keep MGW if possible. He may fail to perform in the prem but he is still a £15m championship player, but if he excels then his English premium means he would be worth £30m plus. You also have less chance of a replacement player not settling in the UK.

They still might move on another player to generate some income. I could see Donk, Sa, RAN, Coady, and Pedonce flipped if the right offer came in.

Any one of them could add £20m+ to the pot. Do we need a £30m goalkeeper, when a £10m one could do? Do we need Pedonce if MGW takes his place? Who would argue if we flipped Coady for £30m to Newcastle or Everton?

This window is far from done, to be honest it's hardly started.

The time to call it out is when it closes, for all the good it will do.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The problem with the carosel as i see it is that we are at the end and if it doesn't move we are left with our dicks in our hands

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So some people want Fosun to sell. Why do they think any new owner will be better rather than worse. We are expecting someone to pay £300-£400m for a team in the Premier League that hasn’t won anything significant for 42 years, doesn’t have a massive global fan base and crowds of 30k, parts of a stadium that needs rebuilding, in a city that most outside of the UK haven’t heard of and most in the UK haven’t visited, a city that is one of the poorest in the country and is urgently in need of investment but has been left behind by it’s near neighbour Birmingham. Oh and makes a small profit at best but the fans expect you to not only pay the price asked but also pump in money for more new players which will result in losses and no hope of a return on your investment.

Once said purchaser has overcome all of these barriers and commits to buying us they will be subject to all sorts of abuse by keyboard warriors who have never run a tuck shop at school let alone a multi billion £ investment business but will always know better because they spend £600 to watch the team but expect the owners to pump in millions for their privelidge.

Fosun might sell but I doubt the new owners will do anything differently unless we manage to attract a multi-billionaire who is fixated on a vanity project. The latter are few and far between and even then they get bored (Morgan/Hayward). The time to buy Wolves was when we were £30m and Fosun set in. The value now is marginal.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How are you happy with 0 to spend the last 3 years? And gaping holes in that stale squad.
I do have concerns about the stale squad and it’s size, but I do believe that the first 11 to 13 players are good quality, as long as they stay fit.
Nevertheless, the question was about our trajectory, and I pointed out that I am happy with that over the last 7 years. We have come along way. Whether our trajectory flattens, rises or goes now over the next X years is just pure guess work.
I still think there is a reasonable chance we will replace the experience we have lost with “loans to buy” at the very least.
I don’t think I am a happy clapper but neither am I depressed. Early days yet.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sensible post.

It's clear we hoped to have £50/60m in Neves money and that has change the plans, both in who to invest in to cover Neves Loss, and how much money is spare for other positions.

I still maintain there is £20m or so to spend without selling anyone, keeping Neves while good at one level is bad in terms of his value next year if he doesn't sign a one year extension.

Getting him to sign a one year extension at £50k a week would cost £2.6m, but must add £10/15m to next year's transfer fee - so economical its a no brainer from the clubs point of view.

I would also keep MGW if possible. He may fail to perform in the prem but he is still a £15m championship player, but if he excels then his English premium means he would be worth £30m plus. You also have less chance of a replacement player not settling in the UK.

They still might move on another player to generate some income. I could see Donk, Sa,

So some people want Fosun to sell. Why do they think any new owner will be better rather than worse. We are expecting someone to pay £300-£400m for a team in the Premier League that hasn’t won anything significant for 42 years, doesn’t have a massive global fan base and crowds of 30k, parts of a stadium that needs rebuilding, in a city that most outside of the UK haven’t heard of and most in the UK haven’t visited, a city that is one of the poorest in the country and is urgently in need of investment but has been left behind by it’s near neighbour Birmingham. Oh and makes a small profit at best but the fans expect you to not only pay the price asked but also pump in money for more new players which will result in losses and no hope of a return on your investment.

Once said purchaser has overcome all of these barriers and commits to buying us they will be subject to all sorts of abuse by keyboard warriors who have never run a tuck shop at school let alone a multi billion £ investment business but will always know better because they spend £600 to watch the team but expect the owners to pump in millions for their privelidge.

Fosun might sell but I doubt the new owners will do anything differently unless we manage to attract a multi-billionaire who is fixated on a vanity project. The latter are few and far between and even then they get bored (Morgan/Hayward). The time to buy Wolves was when we were £30m and Fosun set in. The value now is marginal.
Yes, but when the yanks are in control and we play 4 qtrs, with loads of ad breaks, no drawn games, and no relegation, the opportunities to monetise are enormous.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time for a bit of pragmatism. Nowhere does it say wolves are for sale, just pure speculation amongst ourselves. It does however seem to correlate between our activity in the transfer market and what we may have available to spend.

Priority for me seems to have gone from getting in x players to now protecting what we have and who we can afford to lose to reduce the wage bill.

Our forward line is sorted, with an element of crossed fingers that fabio comes good and raul gets to somewhere near his best again. But with podence, traore, hwang, neto, chiquinho and gibbs white, we are covered there.

Get that lad in on loan from barca in midfield and that covers the loss of moutinho.

Stuck with 3 at the back but hopefully a bit more legs in midfield can make the wing backs a bit more dynamic.

Saving in wages should be circa 200k per week, 10m off the wage bill for the year.

Not what anyone wanted by the end of last season im sure but perhaps now time to manage our own expectations of the remainder of the transfer wibdow and what next season could be like. Up to lage to get them playing like those furst 3 games of last season, but with goals.
If things are really as bad as the gloomsters think that is pretty pragmatic.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What makes you think we will play 4 at the back?

Thats the big problem for Bruno. He in reality wants to but he cant because he has had zero backing from the powers that be and the midfielders are too slow and defenders too limited to play a back 4 in most cases. We all better get used to more dreadful, boring and uninspiring football yet again next season with 3 centre backs and two midfielders sat on their toes not pressing.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would hope a local journalist would pick up the phone and call Wolves to see if they want to comment about that article.

Now I would expect them not to say anything and just brush it off but maybe a few question need to to start to be asked.

Won't happen though.
Exactly. We need e&sto get to the truth. I know they are journalists, but the core skills are the same.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with the carosel as i see it is that we are at the end and if it doesn't move we are left with our dicks in our hands

This carousel needs dismantling.Ya might as well have a 2 week window and get things done.Like ya say if it ony starts moving the last week,we could be left with nothing.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are so limited in money to spend why arent we looking at free agents or player out of contract. Even a player like Ben Mee would add some leadership and grit. Surely we've saved money in wages with the players leaving like Marcal, Saiss etc? Or are we that tight that we wont even spend on new players wages?

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We NEED to play 4 at the back

A back 4 isn't some magic wand that will improve us nor is the answer its a weird fascination a lot have on here about formation .

It's the personnel not the formation that is the problem we have far too many similar players no variety and it's a bit stale .

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree. Really wish the local journalists would step up as I am sorry but they have been poor so far this summer. Time for them to be asking questions and not powder puff articles.
It would be in theirs and the clubs interest to get some information out there. At the moment there are too many conspiracy theorists and armageddonists who are filling the vacuum of information with made up stories and theories based on their preconceived ideas and prejudices.

As a psychological study the mix and other wolves social media threads would make a fantastic research base as to how stories which start as someone’s conjecture or fantasy become unquestionable facts even when there is contrary evidence.

I will judge at the end of the window. Yes we need reinforcements, yes we haven’t bought anyone yet. I anticipate we’ll get some loans with options (we always have done from day 1 of Fosun) and some young players with potential, again that’s always been Fosun’s model. People expecting marquee signings will be disappointed as the only ‘two’ we got were Patricio and Moutinho who were cheap. I don’t count Neves and Jota as marquee but young with resale potential and Jota we got on line with an option.

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sums my thoughts up very nicely. There are some unbelievably self entitled "supporters" out there - many posting daily on here it seems. Perhaps they should club together to create a conglomerate that generates the billions in revenue needed to sustain the type of club they desire.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nice post and while I agree to an extent the reason for anyone to buy is clear.

Investment.

Pay £300 million now and invest £100 million in the team even if you do absolutely nothing else you can sell it in ten years and make £100 profit.

Make us win things as you say and the investment doubles and trebles.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A back 4 isn't some magic wand that will improve us nor is the answer its a weird fascination a lot have on here about formation .

It's the personnel not the formation that is the problem we have far too many similar players no variety and it's a bit stale .

Rubbish

The attacking players are good enough

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps they should club together to create a conglomerate that generates the billions in revenue needed to sustain the type of club they desire.
This is such a nonsense argument, and always is in whatever context it's used in.

It's Fosun's job to develop and grow this club and to ensure our stability. For whatever reasons they have some issues with that at the moment and people are rightly critical of that. It's nothing to do with self-entitlement.

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
If we are so limited in money to spend why arent we looking at free agents or player out of contract. Even a player like Ben Mee would add some leadership and grit. Surely we've saved money in wages with the players leaving like Marcal, Saiss etc? Or are we that tight that we wont even spend on new players wages?
This has been one of the things that's confused me ever since we've changed to the self sustainable model JOS.

We never seem to look at the free agent market, can't remember us signing one since Ruddy and Bennett although i'm probably missing someone.

We should also change the loan criteria that we use imo. Can understand previously when we didn't want to do loans without options but now we seem to have become a bit more desperate might be time to stop this idea of not developing other people's players and taking a few loans from the likes of Chelsea.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sums my thoughts up very nicely. There are some unbelievably self entitled "supporters" out there - many posting daily on here it seems. Perhaps they should club together to create a conglomerate that generates the billions in revenue needed to sustain the type of club they desire.
Entitlement is a funny one.
I don't think "supporters" would be unreasonable to ask for facilities that fall in line with this season's Ticket prices. After all, We have aligned ourselves with a number of PL club pricing structures, we should actually align ourselves with the facilities they offer supporters too.
Steve bull is a Joke.
I don't think "supporters" are unreasonable for asking for a little more Club/fan communication. The relationship between supporter and club is divided and nobody appears to be stepping up to put to bed some of the legitimate concerns regarding the running and direction of the club we all love so dearly.
I dont think it's unreasonable for "supporters"
To question the self sustainability model when we are spunking 35 million on a kid one window and then claiming we have to sell to buy in another.
I don't think it's unreasonable for "supporters" to question why our best players contracts aren't sorted at a time both beneficial to the club and the player.
We aren't asking for statement signings, we are asking for a bit of honesty when it comes to the state of our small, stale and disintegrating squad.

Back
Top Bottom