Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could we have not signed him and have him still loaned out Yeovil?. You’d have thought playing senior football at any level is more beneficial then U21 football, and considering he’s made 0 appearances for Exeter and was loaned out to the mighty Tiverton last season, I’d have thought he’d need to be playing real games that actually matter.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could we have not signed him and have him still loaned out Yeovil?. You’d have thought playing senior football at any level is more beneficial then U21 football, and considering he’s made 0 appearances for Exeter and was loaned out to the mighty Tiverton last season, I’d have thought he’d need to be playing real games that actually matter.
Hes the back up CB instead of Dawson ;)

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Total shambles if we've let cbs
I wouldn’t disagree with your comments, but as daft as it sounds I would disagree.

Sgnings have been great but I am very concerned that we haven’t (as yet) signed another central defender.

We have lost 3 experienced central defenders in Coady, Saiss and Boly + Donk who would do a job there if necessary. That’s 4 out and 1 in with Collins.

Who will play in central defence if Collins or Kilman are injured?

Please not Toti or Mosquera who Imo are for the future without a doubt. They are not yet ready for Premier League football.

Craig Dawson would have been ideal, but it looks as if that is not going to happen.

If Denayer is a free agent can we sign him after the window closes?

We must sign another central defender!
How can “ones for the future” bcome “ones for the present” if they dont get to play?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t disagree with your comments, but as daft as it sounds I would disagree.

Sgnings have been great but I am very concerned that we haven’t (as yet) signed another central defender.

We have lost 3 experienced central defenders in Coady, Saiss and Boly + Donk who would do a job there if necessary. That’s 4 out and 1 in with Collins.

Who will play in central defence if Collins or Kilman are injured?

Please not Toti or Mosquera who Imo are for the future without a doubt. They are not yet ready for Premier League football.

Craig Dawson would have been ideal, but it looks as if that is not going to happen.

If Denayer is a free agent can we sign him after the window closes?

We must sign another central defender!
Toti is ready. He played perfectly fine in a 3, if he’s anywhere near that good in a back 4 I’d be fine him coming in.
After that, not so much, Mosquera not ready.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can “ones for the future” bcome “ones for the present” if they dont get to play?
It’s because you bring them on from the substitutes bench with 15 minutes remaining when we are 3-0 up and cruising! You don’t throw them in from the start!

Pigs might fly. Dream on. If only. Wish to dream. Wishful thinking.

Villa have signed Bednarek on loan and Southampton have signed Caleta-Car on a permanent for £10million (that’s very good business). We have got rid of 3 experienced central defenders and 1 other who could fill in if necessary. SigNed 1 and will be relying on total inexperience if Collins or Kilman are injured.

Am I missing something?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Tbf overall I would give this window an 8/10- Dendoncker replaced by Traore is an intriguing way to end the work of the last three months. Every individual has likely been thoroughly scouted and has had due diligence completed, given they were all mentioned well in advance of them being finalised.

For me, given the rest of the good work, it reads like the Boly saga blind sided the club. They expected him to stay and run down his contract but he had other ideas and forced a move they hadn't put the groundwork in for.

They have, therefore, not rushed into a significant deal for someone that wouldn't suit us or for whom due diligence wasn't completed and I think that is probably (hopefully) the right call.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s because you bring them on from the substitutes bench with 15 minutes remaining when we are 3-0 up and cruising! You don’t throw them in from the start!

Villa have signed Bednarek on loan and Southampton have signed Caleta-Car on a permanent for £10million (that’s very good business). We have got rid of 3 experienced central defenders and 1 other who could fill in if necessary. SigNed 1 and will be relying on total inexperience if Collins or Kilman are injured.

Am I missing something?

That our defensive record is Champions League? While our attacking record is Championship? Central defence has not been anwhere near our main problem for many years.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Am I missing something?

Nope, not missing anything at all. Despite the large outlay and bringing in some genuine quality our season hinges on keeping Kilman and Collins fit.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Am I missing something?

Isn’t our best Centre half Max Kilman with 57 appearances to his name - he played full games not 15minutes here and there.
Nathan Collins has made only 18 Premier League starts for Burnley before coming to us
Toti has played full games for Wolves and had a full season in Switzerland so he isn't the novice some think him to be - yes he is young and still learning. Mosquera - I agree needs a loan and a full season playing.

The three centre halves we have moved on, generally people on here believed needed to be upgraded. Its annoying that Dawson situation occurred but that can happen in football. I have seen many experienced Center halves with Prem experience arrive at Wolves and be absolute turd: Colman, Bjorklund, Luzhny, Johnson so experience is no guarantee. Toti, in my opinion hasn't let us down and I prefer his young, aggressive style to a plodding Wily Boly of last season- so yes I think you are missing something.

I’m not against signing a Denayer or someone of his ilk thats out of contract but Wolves are already playing with pretty inexperienced Centre halves, so you could say the pigs are already flying and, at present, our defence isnt really the issue.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why on earth they needed 23 is beyond me. That's more than two full teams plus the players they already had. Was their squad really that bad considering they won promotion?

It's insane.
Their squad was massively built up from loan players and ones not good enough for the prem with contracts that ended in the summer plus a keeper who forced a move out.

Their business was needed or they couldn’t have played matches without using their academy in the starting 11

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's as though they find a way to make the fans go mad.

This window has been excellent. It's gone above and beyond what most expected in terms of net spend and the quality of player we brought in.

So, they manage to lose some of that by leaving us ridiculously short in defence.

Three full-backs and three capable centre-backs - it's hard to count Mosquera considering we clearly don't think he's ready as we want him to go out on loan. It's just not on.
A 4th centre back would have been a near perfect window but looking at it objectively it would have been a difficult signing. It’s clear that Collins and Kilman are the preferred pairing so barring injury will be starting so you’re basically asking a player (if they are quality) to swap one clubs bench for another. Dawson looked a winner as he wanted to move closer to home so would have been happier with that sort of role.

Denayer was a non starter for me, he’s clearly chasing a wage that’s out of our realm for a squad player.

The issue we will have is if we get two injuries at CB which isn’t probable but is indeed possible

NordicWolf

Reaction score
Dan-Axel Zagadou still availible as a free agent. Could be our new and improved Boly.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That our defensive record is Champions League? While our attacking record is Championship? Central defence has not been anwhere near our main problem for many years.
It has been, our defence was very poor last year and average year before that despite standing on the edge of our box.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Their squad was massively built up from loan players and ones not good enough for the prem with contracts that ended in the summer plus a keeper who forced a move out.

Their business was needed or they couldn’t have played matches without using their academy in the starting 11
They obviously didn't need 23 players. They have signed 3 LBs ffs.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nope, not missing anything at all. Despite the large outlay and bringing in some genuine quality our season hinges on keeping Kilman and Collins fit.
Every team outside the top 6 hinges on key players staying fit, if your back ups are as good as your starters in the Prem (unless you are top 4 club) you are absolutely screwed because they will both be utterly mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom