Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, this is The Athletic piece it's from.

"At Millwall, everything happened quickly. A good performance in a youth game against Peterborough United earned Gyabi an international call-up. One of England’s youth coaches, Justin Cochrane, was watching in the crowd. A week later, he scored twice against Colchester United in an evening cup game. “After that it snowballed,” Watling says. Joe Shields, City’s head of academy, came in with a bid for him. Millwall received £300,000 in compensation payments for a player who was only 14. Wolves made a big play for him, too, and Chelsea thought about submitting an offer of their own having let him slip through the net."

I take that as we made a play for him before he joined Man City, not now?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, this is The Athletic piece it's from.

"At Millwall, everything happened quickly. A good performance in a youth game against Peterborough United earned Gyabi an international call-up. One of England’s youth coaches, Justin Cochrane, was watching in the crowd. A week later, he scored twice against Colchester United in an evening cup game. “After that it snowballed,” Watling says. Joe Shields, City’s head of academy, came in with a bid for him. Millwall received £300,000 in compensation payments for a player who was only 14. Wolves made a big play for him, too, and Chelsea thought about submitting an offer of their own having let him slip through the net."

I take that as we made a play for him before he joined Man City, not now?
Ooohhh

Good spot.

Talking Wolves has been taking things out of context a lot recently!

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's uncalled for, NNW is a well respected poster and a loyal Wolves fan.

Couldn't care less. Those things are not mutually exclusive from what I said to them. Feel free to be offended on their behalf though.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need that to maintain a safe position. Leeds and Everton just survived by the skin of their teeth - they fell from finishing 9th and 10th the season before. The season before that, we had Sheff Utd who fell from a position of 9th to relegation. Before that Watford dropped from 11th to relegation.

Surprising how often that, other than the inevitably newly promoted teams going straight back down, they are accompanied by a team who finished safe mid-table the season before. Not a team who narrowly survived. Complacency, perhaps? When you've finished 16th or 17th, you know you need to make changes. But 10th, "nah, it will be fine, just one or two backups is all we need, we can't be far off as we finished 10th".
You make good points (as usual).
I think the Blades vastly over-achieved during their first season back courtesy of some unusual tactics. Leeds were victims of Bielsa's inability to structure a defence and Everton seemed to think that if you buy enough players who have PL experience then everything will be fine. Watford ? The term 'yo-yo club' was invented for them.

I think we have a better core squad than any of them - 2 x 7th place finishes doesn't lie - but there is no question that we are stale and predictable. We don't need back-ups, we need a couple of players who will enable us to change our system of play. Hence the emphasis on the need for a CB and a dynamic midfielder.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This window gets worse by the day. Doesnt seem anyone wants to join us.
Fortunately on this one its before he joined city, but i just had the gut wrenching feel when i saw we tried.

Still hold by , my more optimistic nature of wait till the July 9th burnley game.

Before we travel to spain we must have signings in place, IMO

W

WasStefan

MGW doesn’t want to stay. He’s been treated pretty badly previously and scapegoated by some.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the sense that I let my subscription to the athletic expire and relied upon talking Wolves' snippet

Sorry, I wasn't criticising you, it was aimed at Talking Wolves.

Anyone reading that should be able to fathom what's happened and that headline from Talking Wolves is bordering on clickbait. I thought the page was better than that!!

After reading the dross served up on the Athletic recently, even my £1 per month seems expensive!!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

gWlTXj.gif

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spanish teams are really desperate for money this summer, Atletico need 84mil before they can even register Witsel, Barca still in tons of debt and have a huge wage budget issue, Valencia need money this summer or are in the **** as well.

Could see us moving for Mario Hermoso from Atletico, Nico at Barca and Guedes at Valencia helping out 3 clubs with Mendes ties whilst also getting 3 excellent players in to improve us.

We really could do with announcing a signing though as it is driving me insane checking every day to barely even see any links to players now

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We tried, honestly, we did.

P.S. Buy the training top, do you know Wolves store has a sale on? We tell you every few hours. Buy the merch.

Yeah, the club is trying to hoodwink the fans by releasing the lie that we tried to sign Darko Gyabi. The footballing world will certainly sit up and take note of that.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spanish teams are really desperate for money this summer, Atletico need 84mil before they can even register Witsel, Barca still in tons of debt and have a huge wage budget issue, Valencia need money this summer or are in the **** as well.

Could see us moving for Mario Hermoso from Atletico, Nico at Barca and Guedes at Valencia helping out 3 clubs with Mendes ties whilst also getting 3 excellent players in to improve us.

We really could do with announcing a signing though as it is driving me insane checking every day to barely even see any links to players now
So are we we have no money

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still can't believe we haven't even managed to sign one by accident.

If you shoot enough arrows eventually one of them will hit the target.
Not if the target is imaginary!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I reckon Nico Gonzales will be this season's Vitinha/Trincao.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can go to bed if you’re tired?
Thanks Gaffa- took your advice and did so (after watching all of Fabios goals..which didn't take long tbh) . I also took up Football Manager 2022 today. Hoping this and 50y of watching football will make me an expert now and be able to see what you can.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rob Edwards said that he moved through ambition. That he wanted first team football and wouldn't get it here. That means he didn't think he could be part of the project here, so we didn't sell a vision that included him, much like with Vitinha.

For someone who only deals in 'facts', you were quite adamant that the only reason he left was homesickness. Now you've been shown there were other reasons, your pride has taken a hit and you need to make out like that person is wrong. I'm a bit bored of your neediness for a **** swinging contest, so I'll leave it here.
Not at all I found it an interesting article, and happy to be proved wrong or have been facts brought my way.
I’ve been on a flight so my apologies for not replying sooner, and I still maintain you’re dealing in assumptions. But the sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day, and I certainly don’t want a row!!
Vitinha I believe was thought not to be appropriate for a team without the ball more than they have it, and I also believe he said don’t bother trying to sign him after his loan spell!!!
Have a good one

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You make good points (as usual).
I think the Blades vastly over-achieved during their first season back courtesy of some unusual tactics. Leeds were victims of Bielsa's inability to structure a defence and Everton seemed to think that if you buy enough players who have PL experience then everything will be fine. Watford ? The term 'yo-yo club' was invented for them.

I think we have a better core squad than any of them - 2 x 7th place finishes doesn't lie - but there is no question that we are stale and predictable. We don't need back-ups, we need a couple of players who will enable us to change our system of play. Hence the emphasis on the need for a CB and a dynamic midfielder.

Yes, that's it with Sheff U and Leeds - their drops were predicted by more than a few. Though more than a few also argue, quite sensibly, that last season we over achieved thanks to some heroic goalkeeping by Sa. Also, it's not the squad that finished 7th. Key departures from then and also Raul being generally nowhere near the peaks he reached. Remains to be seen whether he can recover to those heights, or whether what we've seen is the most we'll get.

Without that, we do need a genuine centre back and that dynamic midfielder - as we've done for 2+ years. We also need a genuine goal scorer, else we are depending on Raul returning to interstellar form and if that doesn't happen, we have no real goal scorers. It's all hopes and wishful thinking. Unfortunately, Raul at 75% is still the all round best and most likely to score of our forwards. Podence has never been a goal scorer. Hwang , ironically the 5 he got for us is the best he's done at this level, paltry as it is. Neto tends to score at a 1 in 5 rate. Useful if he can get 7 goals, but that depend on playing the full 38 match season, which hardly any player ever does. Other than that..Fabio is still miles off being able to score a significant number at this level.

Not panicking ... just yet. Though unless we make significant signings, we will definitely finish lower than last season. We could still make a significant signing - as we all know, our key signing last summer was Sa, who cost next to nothing and had little expectation. Same again,please?

Without any such signings, players who can go straihght in and improve the first team, though, it's then a matter of exactly how much we drop from 10th. Both last 2 seasons have included long-ish runs of really poor, relegation level form, though rescued by digging in and grinding out some points with something akin to anti-football. If we depend too much on youth and lose the likes of Moutinho and Codie (Saiss gone already), will we have the mental fortitude to grind out those results if needed? In the end, mentality is often the difference between those who stay up and those who go down.

Back
Top Bottom