Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Guedes Conundrum

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
With Guedes requiring another surgery after his last one in March and Benfica apparently cooling their interest in another loan next season, I'm starting to think that it's going to be touch and go getting him another club in the next two and a bit months.

Goncalo himself may have to face upto his decision to come to Wolves and a need to make sure his highly paid career doesn't go down the toilet next season. Now I know there's many examples of out of favour players just sitting tight and not playing for a year or two, but is it time for him to show some commitment to the Wolves?

Does Julen even want him, would he fit in? Surely he should be looking at him again and if Guedes does demonstrate he's committed to be here, we need to give him a go.

Or are we at the stage where there isn't a way back and we'll get what we can in the summer in terms of a loan move?

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Send him on loan to valencia and sell him at the end of the season to one of his suitors.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would sell if we had a decent offer......is a player swap or loan swap in la Liga the answer....Seville or Ath Madrid .....we might need a bit of Jorge magic with this one ...

Reaction score
With Guedes requiring another survey after his last one in March and Benfica apparently cooling their interest in another loan next season, I'm starting to think that it's going to be touch and go getting him another club in the next two and a bit months.

Goncalo himself may have to face upto his decision to come to Wolves and a need to make sure his highly paid career doesn't go down the toilet next season. Now I know there's many examples of out of favour players just sitting tight and not playing for a year or two, but is it time for him to show some commitment to the Wolves?

Does Julen even want him, would he fit in? Surely he should be looking at him again and if Guedes does demonstrate he's committed to be here, we need to give him a go.

Or are we at the stage where there isn't a way back and we'll get what we can in the summer in terms of a loan move?
I still believe that agreement will be reached whereby he spends a second season on loan with Benfica. He's apparently not expected to be fit until at least the end of September so I doubt he'd g anywhere else. Another year with them (albeit slightly shortened) is probably the best outcome for all concerned. Benfica probably want a lower loan fee or more 'help' with his wages to sweeten the deal given the circumstances

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't want to be (or so I believe), if this is the case then get rid..

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
In January we were desperate, Lopetegui spoke to him and the conclusion was pretty clear. Not committed to our cause, so go play somewhere else. Just hoping we can sell him, but, putting my FFP understanding into practice, if we sell him for say £15m then with wages we're probably just about breaking even.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui i believe actually rates Guedes, he was interested in taking him to Sevilla, but the bloke doesnt want to be here. If he comes back with the right attitude he could be great for us. I'm not convinced its going to happen.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loppy only wants players who want to be at Wolves. Guedes doesn't fit that criteria and (with hindsight), should never have been signed. Just hope we're not stuck with a 'White Elephant'.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just hoping we can sell him, but, putting my FFP understanding into practice, if we sell him for say £15m then with wages we're probably just about breaking even.
It's bizarre that a £15m sale means we break even for FFP, even though it represents a £12.5m loss in real terms on his original transfer fee!

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot afford to rely on characters like that.

A swap with Benfica, Valencia etc would be ideal really, but dread to think what his wages are.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a shame he doesn't want to succeed over here. Would be a good asset.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's bizarre that a £15m sale means we break even for FFP, even though it represents a £12.5m loss in real terms on his original transfer fee!
Well every time I mention FFP I have a queue to correct me, but I think £27.5m written down at £5.5m p.a. means his book value is now £22m, so we lose £7m, but we were going to amortise £5.5m and pay £2m+ in wages, so it looks OK on the accounts. Just need someone with £15m to spare!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are in an era where players put managers before clubs.
So Guedes and JL may hit it off.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 1 player summed up the F U that is Wolves since Jimenez's injury it is this guy. Just added up the total of his, Silva's, Cunha's, Nunes's and Sasa's transfer bill which is around £160 million , I repeat £160 million. If you add in other minor **** signings like Hwang, Podence, Sarabia and to a point Semedo you can add about another £60 million to that figure. Arguably we've ****ed £220 million against the wall for virtually nil return. No wonder we can't afford to buy anybody. Someone at Wolves needs shooting.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't have the right mentality as far as I'm concerned. One of life's proverbial wasters. From his point of view, he's getting handsomely paid for basically delivering very little. Smacks of a bloke with very little ambition because there are many players out there who would love the opportunity he was presented.

OK, he doesn't like England, doesn't want to play for Wolves but the best thing you can do in that situation is get your head down, work hard and earn a move. This guy has had it far too easily and we've accommodated him at every turn. This is one reason why Fosun and Jeff will question moving for big name / big money players and they are quite right to do so.

I have very little time for blokes like this.

Reaction score
Just trying to see things from another perspective. Early games I thought he looked very promising and I was quite excited, but then I think he got Bruno'd (we know he wasn't the only one btw). In and out of the side, a side that was going in only one direction.

Perhaps he and Julen had a conversation on the QT and jointly decided that it was best he went out on loan for a number of reasons. Perhaps they're both open-minded about the summer.

I think it's unlikely he was forced here against his will, but the mess that was Wolves early season wasn't the best place to be if we're totally honest.

I do think the club/Mendes are more likely to find a new home for him before the window shuts but who knows, now Julen has reaffirmed his commitment maybe so will Gonçalo, stranger things have happened.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 1 player summed up the F U that is Wolves since Jimenez's injury it is this guy. Just added up the total of his, Silva's, Cunha's, Nunes's and Sasa's transfer bill which is around £160 million , I repeat £160 million. If you add in other minor **** signings like Hwang, Podence, Sarabia and to a point Semedo you can add about another £60 million to that figure. Arguably we've ****ed £220 million against the wall for virtually nil return. No wonder we can't afford to buy anybody. Someone at Wolves needs shooting.
Plus wages to players who contribute little or nothing. Trincao was only a loan, but we paid Barca £5m plus the player's wages according to the Mail and Beeb.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not much of a conundrum to be honest. If he is fit he is available to Wolves unless we loan him or sell him. Simple as that.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus wages to players who contribute little or nothing. Trincao was only a loan, but we paid Barca £5m plus the player's wages according to the Mail and Beeb.

Yes, I thought the Trincao situation was bad...but he was far better than Guedes. I hope I'm not saying the same next year, with whoever we dredge up this summer! These players who look better playing elsewhere than they do for us, I wonder how much is them not wanting to be here and how much them not being a good fit for this league? Both probably. And maybe the high quality defending here (defenders in the PL have top skills *and* crunch into tackles and headers) is part why they don't want to be here?

I'd seen Guedes a couple of times for Valencia before he signed and thought he would be an excellent addition to our attack. And even that is a low bar because our attack is as poor as anyones at this level. The fact he looked even worse than what we had is perplexing! Similar to Nunes, he hardly looks even the same player as that one playing for Valencia and Portugal. And then Vitinha..looked good against Chorley. Sums him up and I've never held his departure against the club, as for us, he looked nowhere near good enough for a first team place at PL level.

TBF to the club, none of these players have excelled at another club in this league. So again, maybe it's as much them not wanting to play in England as anything else? Whatever, we just have to stop making this mistake. It shouldn't be rocket science requiring the full force of forensic psychologists to figure out if they want to be here.

What we've learnt is that a 6 out of 10 player totally committed (Hi, Conor :D) is much better for the team than an 8 out of 10 player here on his "gap year".

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't want to be here because he can't cut the mustard in the premier league for whatever reason, he's total garbage in this league.

He's done nothing in Portugal or France, he was decent to a degree in Spain, I'd say loan him to a Spanish team and hope to god they part with 15m.

I can see him being loaned out window after window with each loan coming to nothing, then he walks or goes for next to nothing.

Hope I'm wrong.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good player, but really doesn't want to be here. Probably never wanted to come here in the first place, and yet we keep reading that Mendes is attempting to 'Force' Fati to join Wolves. Hard to believe, but if true, will we never learn? We need players who want to play for Wolves.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our club shouldn’t shoulder all the blame for this situation. If Guedes never wanted to come here then he damn well shouldn’t have signed. I’m certain if we get a bid of £100M for neves from some Saudi club or blooming Walsall, then Neves simply won’t agree to it.

Clubs are entitled, even obligated, to try and persuade players to join. As long as no demonstrable lies have been given; then once said player does sign he ought to give everything he can to provide his talents to that club.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair he was quite up for coming to Wolves until he drove through Whitmore Reans on the way in.

Reaction score
To be fair he was quite up for coming to Wolves until he drove through Whitmore Reans on the way in.
Do you ever think, when they bring new signings in do they go all the way up to J3 on the M54, bring them to Compton via the A41 and once they've signed the paperwork then take them up to town?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
We are in an era where players put managers before clubs.
So Guedes and JL may hit it off.
JL was the one who shipped Guedes out. Lage gave him opportunities but as soon as Lopetegui came in he hardly got a sniff. Gave him 17 minutes in Lopetegui's first game at Everton and didn't get any minutes in the Premier League after that. He played a small part in the cup games against Liverpool and Forest but was hooked early in one and subbed on very late in the other. It was pretty clear in the press conferences that Lopetegui couldn't get him out of the building fast enough.

Rather than "hitting it off" think it will be more of a case of Lopetegui 'hitting his block off'!

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you ever think, when they bring new signings in do they go all the way up to J3 on the M54, bring them to Compton via the A41 and once they've signed the paperwork then take them up to town?
Why do you think the minibus they use, which has been pictured on here, has tinted windows? You didn't think that was just a one way tint?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the players you name there had excellent pedigree before we bought them
Id argue on the nil return,but can see your point
With your first 4 theres still hope of them coming good yet,also Sarabia
Hwang and Semedo are rated by JL and Pod was our top scorer last season lol
If none of those mentioned are a success next season ill agree with you but till then jury is out on most

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is it, Gus Theede?

P.S. Any chance of some easier ones?

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure it's a conundrum. That suggests a puzzle, which I do think think there is . He is technically good, but lightweight and gives off the vibes of not wanting to play for Wolves. So he either needs to knuckle down or move on.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure it's a conundrum. That suggests a puzzle, which I do think think there is . He is technically good, but lightweight and gives off the vibes of not wanting to play for Wolves. So he either needs to knuckle down or move on.
Another Trincao, I think. Not cut out for the Prem.

Back
Top Bottom