Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Famous Five (U23s)

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it's been tweeted that the five U23 players that have been invited to Alicante with the first team are

Hugo Bueno
Harvey Griffith
Chem Campbell
Joe Hodge
Theo Corbeanu

Safe to say that all can report really good seasons last year on various ways, and now look like that all have an excellent chance to follow Luke Cundle and be promoted to the first team

Joe Hodge was the surprise for me towards the end of the season, looked to have genuine quality. Campbell we could have assumed would be there or there abouts... Bueno too was excellent last season and deserves a look and Corbeanu looked good when given a chance on loan last season

Are these boys ready to join the show or is this just a prelude to make up the numbers before being given loans (at Champ level at least)

I think a few have mentioned there's a view to one or two of these being given a genuine chance in the X1... which ones are you backing to make the grade this season?

Reactions: DPE

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bueno and Campbell to be in the squad for leeds id expect.

Hodge, griffiths would find it hard i think, with cundle/jordao also infront of them

Then corbeanu to get a loan

GTA_WOLF

Reaction score
Is Lembikisa out hurt? Didn't see him on the U23 team sheet, and was surprised he was not part of the 1st team pre-season. Powerful young man, quite impressed with his play last year.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Lembikisa out hurt? Didn't see him on the U23 team sheet, and was surprised he was not part of the 1st team pre-season. Powerful young man, quite impressed with his play last year.

He was away at an international tournament recently, might have been given more time off

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of them out on loan come end of August hopefully rather than another season here of 23s and the odd appearance in the cup/getting a few mins when we’ve already lost a game.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shows how badly we still need midfielders taking Hodge and Griffiths, or that we are going with a 3 man midfield? o_O

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All depends on what the first team squad looks like at the end of the window but where we are now I think Bueno. He came on leaps and bounds the second half of last season and there are still concerns over Semedo and Jonny injury wise.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I've seen, been impressed by Hodge and have high hopes for him.
Hodge was very highly rated before he left Man City and I think would have pushed on quicker but for a bad back injury. Whenever I watched the 18s or 23s and he was playing I thought Griffiths had something about him but I’ll bow to knowledge of those who’ve seen him live.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hodge was very highly rated before he left Man City and I think would have pushed on quicker but for a bad back injury. Whenever I watched the 18s or 23s and he was playing I thought Griffiths had something about him but I’ll bow to knowledge of those who’ve seen him live.
I saw Hodge twice in the televised games at the end of the season and he looked very good. Didn't run the show like Cundle a different type of of player, but certainly impressed. Unless we sign someone like Almeida I would have thought he would move up to the first team squad.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically you'd think perhaps Corbeanu, Campbell and Bueno might be around first team with the enhanced sub numbers.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was hugely impressed with Hodge in the games I saw at the end of the season. Very good technically and looked as if he could travel with the ball too. The new Vitinha ;)
Will be 20 in September, time to integrate into the squad now we're allowed to make 35 substitutions every 10 minutes (I think)

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The extra subs is a really good point to keep a larger squad with these lads, although a few mins here and there and extended bench time is nowhere near as good as a strong loan and football week in week out

I’d be excited if they are given a chance, but we have to be able to give them minutes or we will potentially stunt their growth

I’m sure we are waiting to see if we conclude the business we want to do and then will make a decision on loans late in the window if we get the players in we want to… especially the young South Americans we’re apparently tracking as they will want to see a path to the first team to sign I’m sure

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Out of that list I’d be most confident of Bueno stepping up to the first team. He’s a real talent. Probably better going forward than he is defending so he’ll need coaching, but the ability is there.

Campbell has plenty of potential, and second half of last season he seemed to really mature and started playing more for the team. He’s one I could see a coach like Bruno really working on and developing.

Hodge is a good player, neat and tidy passer, doesn’t mind getting stuck in either. Griffiths looked a talent in the U18s last season and wasn’t out of place when he jumped up to U23 level. He’s quick and strong and carries the ball well.

Corbeanu probably needs a loan move, he did well in patches at Sheffield and MK Dons last season but didn’t have too many long runs in the side. He’s still young enoigh though.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just great that we have half-a-dozen (at least) youngsters who could potentially develop into PL players in the next two or three years.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be nice if one of em actually broke through to the first team this season

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question. How do you tell a young player is going to make it as a Premier league player?

Have you ever looked at a player of 17/18 and just known he was a superstar. Of course there are the Rooney's, Owen's and Beckhams's of the world but out of our fab five who is a future star - if you had to pick one?

For me it's Hodge, brilliant footballer, great passer, tenacious and intelligent. If he doesn't make it at the top end of the game I don't know how you tell.

I am more excited about him than about Cundle.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question. How do you tell a young player is going to make it as a Premier league player?

Have you ever looked at a player of 17/18 and just known he was a superstar. Of course there are the Rooney's, Owen's and Beckhams's of the world but out of our fab five who is a future star - if you had to pick one?

For me it's Hodge, brilliant footballer, great passer, tenacious and intelligent. If he doesn't make it at the top end of the game I don't know how you tell.

It took about 5 minutes watching Robbie Keane to see he was going to be a star.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

Seriously, I don't think you can really predict it. Soooo many variables at play. Staying healthy, mental attitude, opportunity, fit to the style of play, physical growth, confidence...and on and on. Sometimes, players just jump up a level out of the blue. Bueno is case in point; he was decent two years ago, but now, he's several levels above, playing with such confidence. Watch the Burnley friendly where he just drives at the defender before laying it off to Cutrone.

Of the U23s, I think that Campbell will make the first team playing squad this year with Cundle. Bueno is right there, especially with the injuries to Semedo and Chiquinho (who, incidentally was my lock for break out player of the year :(). Hodge and Griffiths look good, but I'm not sure - haven't really seen enough of their games tbh. Curious to see how they do in the preseason.

I'm really looking forward to see how Tyler Roberts, Nathan Fraser, Owen Farmer, and Dexter Lembikisa develop...

Corbeanu has great promise, but I think he needs another loan for development--he's excellent at running at players and making things happen (and decently fast), but needs some more seasoning on his decision-making and team play.

Here are my thoughts on another post:

First, I never said "stars" - I said "promising talent." Whether they make it big time remains to be seen, but I would say that many will generate revenue for the Academy.

Second, for those who follow the U18 & U23 thread, there is no doubt that the quality in the Academy has improved over the last 4-5 years.

So...who? I would say the following are very promising in order of readiness for the first team (ages in parens):

Luke Cundle (20)
Chem Campbell (19)
Hugo Bueno (19)
Theo Corbeanu (20)
Nigel Lonwijk (19)
Dexter Lembikisa (18)
Joe Hodge (19)
Nathan Fraser (20)
Tyler Roberts (18)
Owen Farmer (17)

Others that you could argue have strong potential - Meritan Shabani (23), Christian Marques (19), Harvey Griffiths (18), Louie Moulden (20), Ollie Tipton (18), Harry Birtwistle (18). I may have missed others.

Giles and Sanderson will go on to have good Championship careers. Ronan will do alright.

Lastly, the club has invested strongly in the Academy - better fields, training and medical, and better support for the athlete.

Most of the list of players will be good enough to play at the Championship level (assuming no injuries and continued development); some have potential for the Premier League.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reality is most of them will fall away and find their level down the pyramid. Playing your age group at a young age is very different to playing the pros. Cundle for example will likely end up at Championship level. Hard to say at this stage though, sometimes the lesser lights make a bigger impression later.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck to all of them anyway and Ronan.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that Ronan has travelled as well! I suppose we can’t class him as an U23 lad any more but it’s a similar situation

Wonder if he’s made an impression on Bruno… he played in the friendly as well I believe

koplex

Groupie
Reaction score
For me pick of the bunch is Hodge
Been very very impressed with him every time I’ve seen him play
Agreed, Hodge will be a superstar if he stays injury free and continues to develop. He was talked about in the same excited tones as Foden according to my Citeh supporting friend.

For all the **** that Sellars gets on here, signing Hodge is 100% down to him. So kudos.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that Ronan has travelled as well! I suppose we can’t class him as an U23 lad any more but it’s a similar situation

Wonder if he’s made an impression on Bruno… he played in the friendly as well I believe

Clearly made a bigger impression than Jordao. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was hugely impressed with Hodge in the games I saw at the end of the season. Very good technically and looked as if he could travel with the ball too. The new Vitinha ;)

Man City fans rated him highly and were surprised when they sold him. Injured when we signed him and missed most of last season until the end when he came back and looked very impressive. Hope he can stay fit and impress.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t include the keepers in this, with Sondergaard and Jackson Smith both travelling as well with the senior squad

With Sarkic being the No.2 now, safe to assume Sondergaard is now officially No.3 and the U23 keeper, with Smith being just behind him in the pecking order?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also interesting they’ve not taken any young centre backs, so no Lonwijk or Marques

I see Lonwijk is on trail for a champ loan to Rotherham which would be a great move. Assuming the same being lined up for Marques too then

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone inform me what happened to Taylor Perry? Didn't he get a few cup appearances under Nuno?

Back
Top Bottom