Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Death of Football, R.I.P.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They couldn't care one bit, unfortunately, but it is sad.

There's too much money involved for them to accept wrong decisions. Even if VAR isn't perfect, the numbers suggest it gets more right than previously.
You can retain goal line technology (maybe keep cameras on the goal line to avoid a Sheffield U v Villa situation) and semi automatic offsides (which from what I've seen, works).

But scrap VAR. I believe the consensus among fans is we'd sooner accept human error without VAR than human error after using it, while also killing the buzz and delaying the game so much.

The killer for me, is them wasting five minutes reviewing a decision and still getting it wrong.

The fans need to unite in protest against VAR as they did with the ESL, there's no denying, that protest worked.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who said it’s fantastic? Not me.

They missed it because they made a terrible mistake. Which they rightly apologised for, not that it helps us.

I’m bringing balance to this. VAR could have kept Burnley up by intervening yesterday.

Whether you’re a fan of it or not, that should be acknowledged and seen as a pretty big deal.
Earlier in your argument you mentioned that fans weren't threatening to walk away from football because of VAR after the first bad decision (Boly v Leicester) on day one.

It's because at the time most fans were accepting of the fact mistakes would be made on day one and hopeful the technology would ultimately be used with minimal error, bias and to the betterment of the game...

Roll on five years, and it hasn't. The officials are no better at coming to the correct decision than they were on day one.

Nuno's comments regarding the disallowed goal that day are as relevant today as they were then...

"What I'm concerned about is, let's not ruin the game," said Nuno.

"It's what fans come for, to celebrate a goal, not to celebrate a no goal - that's not the real celebration of football.

"It's not good for the atmosphere of football. The Leicester fans were celebrating the no goal. That's not the mindset of the game. Six months ago it would've been a goal, so that is an issue for VAR.

"We have such a nice Premier League, such a product, we cannot lose that. Two minutes the game stopped. The anxiety of us celebrating, then we waited - it's not the spirit of the game."

Scrap VAR.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who said it’s fantastic? Not me.

They missed it because they made a terrible mistake. Which they rightly apologised for, not that it helps us.

I’m bringing balance to this. VAR could have kept Burnley up by intervening yesterday.

Whether you’re a fan of it or not, that should be acknowledged and seen as a pretty big deal.
Surely officials keeping up with play, see the foul in real time. VAR shouldn't even have been required in this instance.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That hasn't been true for many years in the PL. Fans coming through the gate is a minor part of the money the elite clubs make. If they all stopped coming tomorrow, AI would soon take care of creating the visual and auditory impression of a large crowd to please the armchair fan
Interesting, but not likely.
AI would realise if it can reproduce the crowd/atmosphere it could produce the matches.
Little point in spending all that money on wages or maintaining stadiums.
Everything becomes virtual and you can choose whether your team always wins or the random option.
Sit on your backside at home with your VR goggles on talking to the imaginary person next to you.
The heating system in your house recreates the weather.
Deliveroo brings a pint and a Greggs sausage roll

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That hasn't been true for many years in the PL. Fans coming through the gate is a minor part of the money the elite clubs make. If they all stopped coming tomorrow, AI would soon take care of creating the visual and auditory impression of a large crowd to please the armchair fan
The TV companies might pay less if there are empty seats though?

Sad isn’t it really to think match going fans make no difference.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting, but not likely.
AI would realise if it can reproduce the crowd/atmosphere it could produce the matches.
Little point in spending all that money on wages or maintaining stadiums.
Everything becomes virtual and you can choose whether your team always wins or the random option.
Sit on your backside at home with your VR goggles on talking to the imaginary person next to you.
The heating system in your house recreates the weather.
Deliveroo brings a pint and a Greggs sausage roll
I think the PGMOL must be using VR Goggles.
The muppets certainly seem to operate in a completely alternate version of everyone elses reality.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Webb "we all want consistency don't we?"

The irony of that statement.....Deluded fool.
Mentions disallowing a goal in Man Utd match but doesn’t reference the Man City one that stood! Nice and consistent Howard.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Webb used a classic tactic there where he knows they're in the wrong. Firstly over explains, me thinks he doth protest too much type scenario, he explains it theoretically, ignoring the point that Chirewa didn't actually impede Fabianski's line of sight. Then he uses an example proving his point, ignoring others that similar ours. Then hits you with the, this is what you asked us to do clincher the totally ironic "I think we want consistency don't we?" it's your fault not ours.

What an utter load of *******s.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

No FA Cup replays but Richard Masters is open to 39th game in the USA! Global league is coming people.
To be honest I'd be happy for the Premier League to become global, with the Manchester twins, LiVARpool, The Arsenal/Spuds combo and The Chelsea Bluebottles all leaving us to reform the English Football League, with no connection between the two.

It's so obvious where they want to go with this might as well just bite the bullet now!

Oh and who better than PGMOL to be their match day officials?

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be honest I'd be happy for the Premier League to become global, with the Manchester twins, LiVARpool, The Arsenal/Spuds combo and The Chelsea Bluebottles all leaving us to reform the English Football League, with no connection between the two.

It's so obvious where they want to go with this might as well just bite the bullet now!

agree more and more now that everyone would be better if they just ****** off. Catch 22 though as other owners in the prem would never want them to leave and so give more concessions and let them have their cake and eat it and compete in both with b teams etc

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No FA Cup replays but Richard Masters is open to 39th game in the USA! Global league is coming people.

I can just hear Pep, Klopps replacement and the usual suspects whining on about “Too many games, blah blah” then :

“Oooo a game in New York, bring it on”

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Webb used a classic tactic there where he knows they're in the wrong. Firstly over explains, me thinks he doth protest too much type scenario, he explains it theoretically, ignoring the point that Chirewa didn't actually impede Fabianski's line of sight. Then he uses an example proving his point, ignoring others that similar ours. Then hits you with the, this is what you asked us to do clincher the totally ironic "I think we want consistency don't we?" it's your fault not ours.

The worrying thing is that he probably thinks all is rosy with VAR. I am sure he makes it up as he goes along.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, sooner the big fish **** off to the super league the better tbh. Let the rest of us get on with a proper competition again.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Webb "we all want consistency don't we?"

The irony of that statement.....Deluded fool.
Owen a complete flannel as usual to not push Webb's claim of a "factual matter" that Chirewa was clearly obstructing Fabianski's vision. The VAR official literally said it was a subjective call, so why does 'clear and obvious' not apply? I agree 100% with Mark Halsey on this one, they are simply making it up as they go along:

Fabianski can clearly see, and move if he wants to move. That header came at pace. If that player (Chirewa) was six or seven yards away, Fabianski would not have got that ball. He would not have saved it, so he didn’t interfere with his line of vision. It’s about knowing the game, they’ve manipulated the law. OK you can say it’s subjective. Well if it’s subjective. If it’s subjective, then why has VAR got involved?!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interestingly., not one of Yanited, Citeh, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea were among the 12 founder members of the Football League.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tries to argue it’s a clear cut ruled out goal, when every retired referee who’s commented on this, and the Man Utd incident he referenced, as “subjective” calls. Of course he completely fails to reference the Man City goal which was given in similar circumstances, demonstrating just how subjective this type of decision is.

It’s utter bulls doodas.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I still can't get my head around what an attacker standing in an offside position (who can't be offside from the corner itself) is supposed to do to not be offside from any subsequent attempt at goal not made by themselves. Is Webb suggesting they have to either get themselves into an on-side position or so far out of the way that they can't be deemed to be interfering, all in the second it takes for the ball to reach the box from the corner?

Theoretically it makes it impossible to legally mark the keeper at a corner unless the defending team puts a man/men on the post. I've said before, the defending team could just wait for an attacker to mark the keeper then play an offside line and they'd never concede a legitimate goal from a corner ever again.

I don't ever remember any goals like this being disallowed in previous seasons. Surely there are loads of examples of similar scenarios?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still can't get my head around what an attacker standing in an offside position (who can't be offside from the corner itself) is supposed to do to not be offside from any subsequent attempt at goal not made by themselves. Is Webb suggesting they have to either get themselves into an on-side position or so far out of the way that they can't be deemed to be interfering, all in the second it takes for the ball to reach the box from the corner?

Theoretically it makes it impossible to legally mark the keeper at a corner unless the defending team puts a man/men on the post. I've said before, the defending team could just wait for an attacker to mark the keeper then play an offside line and they'd never concede a legitimate goal from a corner ever again.

I don't ever remember any goals like this being disallowed in previous seasons. Surely there are loads of examples of similar scenarios?
Webb is, as usual, talking self-serving *******s.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's how narcissists operate.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Ben White surely must have been offside for Arsenal's 3rd goal v Spurs as he was on the keeper's toes for example?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attwell as well.

The explanation would apply equally well today, but because of the teams playing, a very different outcome. I’m long past being surprised. I guess the only surprise was that it only took them 9 mins to decide they needed to screw us over. Maybe their aim today was to ensure a big win to narrow goal difference?

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Tough for you to take that one.

They might have won easily but gives City an early leg up doesn't it.

Back
Top Bottom