Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Change in Style Thread - Nuno's Wish for More Attacking Football

Nivada

Reaction score
Thought there should be a separate thread for this discussion, I found it the most interesting part of Spiers' recent Athletic article and am very curious in how Nuno plans to achieve this over the next couple seasons, Sevilla are an incredible side but perhaps we should of taken it to them more? Our attacking options are incredible on paper and this talk from Nuno has excited me.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
suspect sevilla showed the way to go

we're going to need some legs in midfield

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Improve 1st half performances. Need more Arsenal 3-0 HT and turn draws into wins. Simples.

Raul scored only 2 or 3 EPL goals in 1st half last season?

Jota and Traore need improve ball retention unless assist or goal.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't know till the squad is finished but I see more legs in midfield as significant. Both Shabani and Ferreira give this. Fabio along with Podence will give more options through the middle too. Less complete reliance on the wing-backs.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will certainly have to retain the ball better than we did in those last few games at the end of the season. Because you cannot attack if you consistently give the ball away after one or two touches.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Time will tell but it's exciting to hear Nuno say that.

It sounds like he wants us to have a bit more possession and control and be a bit less reliant on defending deep and playing on the counter, which currently works well in some games but less well in others.

More attacking wingbacks who are good in possession and can impose themselves on the opposition yet who can also cut inside and support the midfielders would improve us a lot and mean we're less likely to get cancelled out by teams matching our 3-4-3 or get swamped in midfield by teams putting 3 up against our midfield two.

A mobile and technical midfielder who can play further forward in a 3-5-2 and also offer a goal threat would give us greater flexibility to mix things up between 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 as well as link the midfield and attack a little better. It would also mean we're less reliant on unbalancing the opposition down the flanks. Hopefully once he's settled in, Vitinha can be that man.

All sounds exciting and am sure Nuno will continue to make tactical tweaks and innovations to make us a bit less predictable and easy to prepare against whilst keeping the core identity and ethos the same.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a big contributing factor last season was we were playing the long game and looking after ourselves because of the schedule. Seen it mentioned a few times that we were at the bottom in terms of distance covered as a team. We showed in some games that we can take the game to the opposition from the off, Spurs, Man City and Liverpool all had a going over at Molineux in terms of the performance. With a full week between games more often this season I expect to see more of those types of performances

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a big contributing factor last season was we were playing the long game and looking after ourselves because of the schedule. Seen it mentioned a few times that we were at the bottom in terms of distance covered as a team. We showed in some games that we can take the game to the opposition from the off, Spurs, Man City and Liverpool all had a going over at Molineux in terms of the performance. With a full week between games more often this season I expect to see more of those types of performances

Good point and hope so. No Europe, greater quality on the bench, will hopefully mean more full throttle games throughout the season. Attack those cups, try and crack the top 6, and get Europe for next year by hook or by crook.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good idea, and its all up to Nuno i think. Our overly defensive mindset is down to him rather than the players imo. We certainly have the players to take the game to more teams than we do.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have often thought that maybe the defensive mindset was to stay in the league (1st season) and save legs last season. And don't forget we beat City in the Asia trophy. Exciting times ahead.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect big changes quickly this season and yes, will depend on the personal at his disposal but its good to hear Nuno talking about what needed improving upon last season, but will take a bit of time to apply fundamental change to our style of play so would be surprising to see any of that implemented in the first few games of the season and we will likely set up as we were

If we had a proper pre season this summer then Nuno would perhaps have more opportunities to make some bigger changes in our footballing philosophies but its good to hear there intent to keep us evolving in our approach to games, but I accept this will take time

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's took Nuno rather a long time to finally realise that our very negative system and spending 60 odd minutes sitting back in every game isn't a long term ideal.
Nuno's approach won us the Championship, secured 7th and Europe in the 2nd season, and with 3 games to go of last season we were in with a real chance of a top 4 finish and were on the point of reaching the quarter finals of the Europa League. So it's harsh in the extreme to suggest that suddenly he's decided to change a system that doesn't work. Systems evolve, and as he's said, he just wants the team to keep improving. If that means tweaking our system, I'm sure he will take the right decision as he feels is necessary.

TezzaWolf

Reaction score
I wonder if we'll 3-5-2 as our default this season but play it in a more attacking way.

We could have 2 holding midfielders (Neves, Dendoncker, Moutinho) then another one playing off the front 2 (Podence, Neto - who did this in the comeback at Southampton) Vitinha could probably cover both areas.

Then we'd have 2 of Jimenez, Jota and Silva up front as the options.

Would also make the talk about Adama at wing back make sense as it would likely be the only way he would get in the team.

lycophilos

Reaction score
It's took Nuno rather a long time to finally realise that our very negative system and spending 60 odd minutes sitting back in every game isn't a long term ideal.
When Nuno took over, Wolves weren't exactly pulling up trees. Getting the defence sorted out is the first step towards improving things - without that, any improvement will be short-term. It's quite right that that should have been Nuno's priority.

I too have sometimes thought that Nuno has been too defensive. But what do I know? Given Wolves' quite astonishing rate of improvement since he too over (something many posters on this forum seem not to fully realize), I'd much rather trust Nuno than myself - or such as "Wednesbury Wolf".

There was a point, during that rather depressing period in the autumn of Wolves' first season in the top flight, when I wondered whether Nuno was being too rigid in his tactics. But he changed things round, and the rest is history.

It may be that the very things which some posters are criticizing about this transfer window - why are we getting more attackers, when we, according to these critics, "need" more RWB, LWB, RCB, LCB, DM etc.etc. - are indicative that Nuno is trying to evolve a more positive attacking style. This is the first major club he has been at where he has been given the full confidence of the management. He only had one full season at each of Valencia and Porto. It's probably a new and exciting challenge for him as well, to be in his fourth season at Wolves, with a chance to further evolve and develop his ideas.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My gut feeling after hearing that -and looking at the signings so far- is a three man midfield. Whether it be a 352 0r a 3412, but in a more attacking version than we saw last year. An extra man in the middle to help the team keep the ball, but that extra man will be given a more attacking brief than Neves and Moutinho, moving the ball further up the field, in the way Neto did in the second half against Southampton.

It's going to be interesting to see which way the rumours pan out. IF we signed Corona and kept Traore, I'd be inclined to say we're sticking with the 343 and just playing with a very attacking right flank. If we signed Corona (or any RWB) and sold Traore, I think the way is clear for a 352 or 3412.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He knows we won't break into that top 6 regularly by playing with 2 DMs in front of a back 5. Increasing our attacking potency while not completely throwing away the defensive shape we've built over these past 3 years is going to Nuno's biggest challenge, and quite frankly, we need better players to do it.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'll be the difference between us getting nothing from Bramall Lane last season to get something this season.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He knows we won't break into that top 6 regularly by playing with 2 DMs in front of a back 5. Increasing our attacking potency while not completely throwing away the defensive shape we've built over these past 3 years is going to Nuno's biggest challenge, and quite frankly, we need better players to do it.
absolutely. spot on

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An attacking mobile midfielder who can dribble at players to link midfield and attack.
I think any of our wide players are intelligent to do this role , but this will be vitinhas position in years to come IMO

D

Deleted member 11332

Eventually it will require us to be able to adapt and go 4 at the back

Not sure that's the case. watch any of the top sides their sitting midfielders drops in between the centre halves when they go forward. City, Real, Bayern all do it. We just need to push our midfield 10 yards on

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’s done what he thought was best with what he had available. It’s no coincidence that talk of the new style has come hand in hand with “the new cycle”.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want Wolves to be 2 goals up at half time. Time to stop this defensive approach. Maybe Nuno had to take the last 2 seasons to consolidate our PL which he did remarkably well.
Ok, now, start of our 3rd. season back, it’s time to push for a CL spot and I betcha Fosun have been clear with Nuno that that’s what they expect and Nuno in return has told them what he needs to do that.
With that mutual understanding and expectation, ink was put to Nuno’s contract.

Remember how we played City, Spurs and Liverpool?......great attacking football. Let’s do it again, but more often.
Next two seasons could be dazzling for us, people.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure that's the case. watch any of the top sides their sitting midfielders drops in between the centre halves when they go forward. City, Real, Bayern all do it. We just need to push our midfield 10 yards on

Top sides have a pivot midfielder who drops between the centre backs at times in possession. That midfielder will also step in front of the defence and play higher, helping to control possession higher up the pitch.

Our system never has Coady any higher than ten yards inside our own half, which is much more negative and not comparable to what a pivot midfielder does.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady plays 5 yards deeper, on average, than any other defender in the top 8,per his heat map for the seasons in the prem.
This means our midfield etc has to compensate, as we see Neves do consistently (Neves covers this more than anyone) .

3 at the back is fine and becoming popular. But this deeplying set up we use doesn't lend itself to sustaining attacks, IMO, it becomes a safety valve for the lack of pace of the 3 at the back and provides the easy outball to retain possession but slows down play and, attacking momentum.

I'd like to see Coady on occasions ahead of the other two defenders when the situation dictates, especially against poorer opposition. This hopefully will be one of the tactical adjustments we might see.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Daz Hale tweeted a few weeks ago that we wanted to upgrade Bennett, MGW, Doc, Cutrone, and Jonny (because of his injury)

The three signings have improved the squad by upgrading on Bennett, MGW, and Cutrone. Assuming the Brazilian chap is playing centre back.

So that leaves the two wing backs to sort out. Corona and Telles would be perfect :)

I suspect its not likely, but as Nuno says "dreaming is for free"

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe the defensive style doesn’t suit some of the players. Neves hasn’t been the same since dropping deeper. And I think a defensive mentality does affect the players confidence in playing a more attacking style.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hoping to hear... "with four at the back at four in attack, we're Wolverhampton..."

i.e when defending we more 4-4-1-1 and not 5-3-2, or 5-4-1...and when attacking we...

3-3-1-2... + 1...(Adama on bye-line) ;)

W

wanderer24

I honestly think Nuno will be looking for options in both systems. I don’t think the formations will change much from the two adopted ones. I think the personnel and quality of those players will improve or more geared toward a more progressive but possession based approach.
We do give the ball away too much. We don’t always have that ability to play between the lines or create waves of pressure. This is partly down to the central midfield being fairly predictable in our approach play. In a 352, I feel like Nuno is very hopeful that Silva and Vitinho will give us a different dimension.
Hopefully with the right signings at wing back, our 343 will have a different dimension too.
I think with added quality and tweaks within the current systems, we can take it to another level.

D

Deleted member 11332

Top sides have a pivot midfielder who drops between the centre backs at times in possession. That midfielder will also step in front of the defence and play higher, helping to control possession higher up the pitch.

Our system never has Coady any higher than ten yards inside our own half, which is much more negative and not comparable to what a pivot midfielder does.

The way we play it is much more negative I agree, I was just demonstrating that you don't have to move to 4 at the back to evolve and it could be done with subtle changes to the existing formation. We'd probably need to upgrade on Coady though.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Improve 1st half performances. Need more Arsenal 3-0 HT and turn draws into wins. Simples.

Raul scored only 2 or 3 EPL goals in 1st half last season?

Jota and Traore need improve ball retention unless assist or goal.

I really think it was a deliberate energy saving ploy cos we had so many games and such a small squad. Hopefully this season with less matches and more player options (assuming we get 2 wingbacks in), more energy for longer in these matches.

Yeah totally agree about traore and jota, jota in particular will have to raise his game with so much competition for his place.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It might be Nuno's long term plan but I wouldn't expect many changes to our style initially this season, he's always played in defensive style and I expect he will try evolve the team rather than go gung ho from the off. Having said that I do think he realises we have probably hit our ceiling playing the way we have for the last 2 seasons. I'm looking forward to how he achieves our progression

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The signing of Vitinha is key . He looks like exactly the type of player we need to drive the midfield forward.

problem we have with neves dendoncker and moutinho is none of them are that willing to dribble at a player - it just isn’t their game

our wide players also need to hold the ball much better and notbe so quick to go back to boly and Coady . Thought Podence was the best at holding it up and bringing neves into play higher up the pitch last season

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think with Traore in the team you have to play a counter attacking style, don't think you can have a possession based game with the way he plays as there is little to no off the ball movement

Back
Top Bottom