Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Case For The Defence

Y

yatess

Before starting, I just need to clarify....
1. I'm NOT an habitual MM baiter / hater
2. The defence played really well at Ipswich - Collins & (for the short while he was on) Ward included - and a fantastic all-round perfromance to boot
------------"--------------------------"----------------------
As of 2 weeks ago, we had the following defenders competing for the four places:-
Foley
Craddock
Stearman
Elekobi
Little
Collins
6 players for 4 places. Given that we have stated that we need competition for every position, that left us 2 light.
Looking at it another way, in close season we listed Breen, R Edwards & D Ward. Brought in so far - Stearman.

2 light.

[AND.... No, M Gray & DJ can't be considered as FB's - the former far too slow, the latter no defensive instincts evident whatsoever - although a real prospect on the wing. AND... D Ward rightly discarded as not good enough. Both MM decisions - both endorsed heartily by many - me included.]

Then..... Craddock gets injured.

3 light.
So what do we do?
Send one of the 5 remaining defenders out on loan, with no recall for a month - that's what we do.
Please don't anyone try to explain this away - the inexplicable will always remain just that. You couldn't make it up.

Then.......... Elekobi out, possibly for a prolonged spell.
4 light.
We're now left with 3 defenders, + the rejected Ward.
Anyone reckon we'll sign the 4 we need in the next 8 days, when we've been fannying around for the last 2 years?
Not me.
And what happens if (God forbid) the Higginbotham deal goes tits up?
Destroy the really bright MF partnership we have building, & put Karl Henry in as FB?
Get forced into playing Neil Collins as FB & shatter what little confidence he has left?
Play someone else as a defender who has no experience there?
Our failure to stock up the defence before the season started was a glaring piece of mis-management.
And sending Mark Little on loan to Northampton when he constituted 100% of our available, non-listed defence cover was nothing short of gross misconduct.
Why was it Sunderland wouldn't release DH just yet - remind me?!?!?!?

FOUR signings in eight days. Or else.
:mad::eek::mad:

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely it's not that bad?

If we sign two defenders we'll have enough quality at the back, one of our "targets" and someone on loan should see us alright.

We don't even know how long Elokobi is out for yet!!

Deutsch Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Four signings in eight days? Behave yourself.

We need a centre half, as we have done all summer, and someone to replace Elokobi. That will do. I'm sorry, but we can't have a squad of 22 players who are all equally good as each other, even Chelsea and Man Utd can't do that. If they have an injury crisis, they use players out of position (but where they're relatively comfortable) - Essien at right back, O'Shea in midfield, Fletcher wide on the right, Kalou wide, etc. Other Prem teams do it to an even greater extent, Villa went through virtually all of last season without a proper right back, they either used Mellberg or Gardner there.

If Mickey Gray can't cover for us on a short term basis at left back, then we shouldn't have bothered keeping him on.

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Little being allowed to leave on loan was a real faux pas considering we still haven't brought in a centre half and Craddock being crocked.
The Elokobi injury then puts our defence on the critical list.

O

Oldgoldwulf

Deutsch is correct BUT Gray isn't seen by MM as a full-back any more... he isn't great in defence anyway.

Plus he can only last for 45 minutes anyway.

We need a CH - preferably Higginbotham and a career full-back on loan to replace Elokobi.

Hopefully not Ian Harte either.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Black Suit

Only last 45 mins my ****! If that is true Mad Mick and Big Jezebel should walk for extending his contract.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gray can't do 90 minutes in midfield. But as a fullback he would have no problems as long as he curtailed his marauding over-lapping runs every time we attack which is what Gray is all about. He needs to play as a more compact full back ala Foley.

A

ashfordwolf

4 light?

We still have the same amount of defenders we had when we kicked off the season albeit little has been loaned out. The idea of the squad system is that players do get injured. Buy a centre half and a loan or short term left back deal will be sufficient.

E

Essex Wolf

Much as I question some of McCarthy's decisions he can't help or be blamed for the fact two regular 1st team players have been crocked one week after another.

What he can help and be blamed for is not bringing in the much required cover. Forget all the "it's difficult" stuff. It's difficult for all clubs in the CCC but when things get a bit tough you just try harder.

He has a week left to resolve an issue that began last April and I hope he does and believe he will. If he doesn't then it will be tough for all concerned.

W

wolfie smith

does the loan window close at the same time as the transfer window? i think we'll sign a centre back this week but the left back slot needs sorting out quicker IMHO.

A

Anglian Wolf

No it doesn't but there are rules governing this. I agree that we need two more players - CB and LB

E

EasternWolf

This sort of thing happens. Little needs to play football every week so he had to go. Micky Gray can play left back. Karl Henry can play right back. Stop knocking Collins, he is doing very well this season. It was always on the cards that Darren Ward would come off the list. $$$$ happens. You have to live with it and I am absolutely certain that the club is trying to get a decent centre half who will suit the wages structure and the ethos of the club.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all pretty much agree we need 2 defenders pronto. The dilemma facing the club is being that there is little quality available (otherwise we would have already purchased) do we break the wage barrier to get the right player(s). In these difficult circumstances I for one think we should.

E

EasternWolf

I can't agree with you on the wage structure Northnorfolk. Unless it is some quite distinctive Ince type player who is so obviously getting into the last few years of his career .. John Terry? Rio? ..Perhaps Sol Campbell .. where is he now??

Hereford Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just needs 2 signings (or maybe 1 signing and one loan) and Little recalled.

We will be fine.

C

cooper_J

I can't agree with you on the wage structure Northnorfolk. Unless it is some quite distinctive Ince type player who is so obviously getting into the last few years of his career .. John Terry? Rio? ..Perhaps Sol Campbell .. where is he now??

There aren't any players of that ilk around unfortunately. Campbell is still a starter at Pompey.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Higginbottom signed and played at left back, with Collins in the centre. Unless we get Harte.

W

WKET

I cant imagine that we are bad payers in our league,i hope we don't break the pay structure for anyone,if we do well then their will be a time to pay more but that will mean we will have achieved some success.

If we do break the pay structure then expect a similar issue like Kites in the summer,its not necessarily the player who wants more money its the agents who keep pushing for more.

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
does the loan window close at the same time as the transfer window?
No it opens a few weeks after the main window closes and runs right throught until about March IIRC.

Loans can only be 1 or 3 months (28 or 93 days) outside of the main windows too btw.

E

EasternWolf

There aren't any players of that ilk around unfortunately. Campbell is still a starter at Pompey.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Higginbottom signed and played at left back, with Collins in the centre. Unless we get Harte.

I wouldn't mind that ... he would be comparable to Elokobi in terms of strength and presence.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like Higginbotham will come in. If so, end of panic. Just hope we don't pay too much for someone approaching 30 and with no sell on value. I reckon MM will try and bring in a loanee also. I would be very surprised if any other serious money is splashed. There seem to be so few CBs or LBs out there that could fit our criteria of being as good or better than what we have and within our price range transfer fee wise and salary wise. If Big George is out for the season then Mattock of Leicester would definitely be worth spending some serious money on (although he's injured at the moment).

Y

yatess

Or else what? Toys out of pram? Take your football and go home? Hold your breath until you go red in the face?

Grow up...
I'm gratified this thread provoked some erudite, informed & informative responses.

And this one, too. :p

Let's just hope MM means Merlin, not Mick the Mule, & that he & Jez don't fiddle while Rome burns....OR ELSE... we will shed more goals than we can reply with - blow our best chance in years & stay in this division, again - lose SEB, Wayne, Kites, etc, etc.

Just off to stamp my little feet.;)

A

Atlas 1951

If Mickey Gray can't cover for us on a short term basis at left back, then we shouldn't have bothered keeping him on.

Totally agree with this. Didn't Gray play for England at left back? Why on earth would Collins be a better option there?

By all means shift Collins over after seventy minutes if we have a cushion, but let the guy get his confidence back at centre-half. It won't do us or him any good if he has one of his "moments" at LB in a game that hangs in the balance.

Back
Top Bottom