Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The biggest part of ticket prices goes to players and agents

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone but the owners complained about the Super League but as John Barnes stated SKY, UEFA, FA , Premier League and we fans all have vested interests.
Who he forgot to mention was the players and agents.
Somewhere between 55% and 85 % of turnover goes to the players in wages and then there will be agents fees.
So when we complain about the price of Premier League and Championship tickets and SKY TV remember where that money goes .
The players and agents dont register large losses, if things go belly up.
They may be our heroes ( and villains) but I didnt hear of major pay cuts for players due to Covid and empty stadiums.
For me thats why the owners tried to change things . We have to understand that or it will happen again.
Things arent always black and white.

It was still a ripping up of all we love about football and I hated the idea of the Super League.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, but no one forces Barcelona to pay Messi the wages they pay. Etc.

Globally clubs need to get a grip of their day to day costs.
That doesnt change the facts.
So ask yourself why do they pay it. Clubs dont want to pay high wages , they feel they have to .

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The superleague project will fly unless it´s not a closed shop.
If they add promotion and regulation to the concept and skips permanent members..it will come within five to ten years.
Without the proper legislation in place to stop it that is.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously..relegation instead of regulation in previous post..:)

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wages are astronomical, but a hell of a lot of players do a lot of good within their community and charity work.

I'm not saying that players are worth what they earn, but if someone offered me 100k a week, I will probably say nah mate make it 20?

Agents are leeches, parisitic ****s.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wages are astronomical, but a hell of a lot of players do a lot of good within their community and charity work.

I'm not saying that players are worth what they earn, but if someone offered me 100k a week, I will probably say nah mate make it 20?

Agents are leeches, parisitic ****s.
I think that is a romanticised view .

I suppose rich owners support charities too.
And if you forgive players why not owners for wanting a return on their investment.
And it doesnt change the fact. Everton pay 85% of their turnover to players , Leicester 80% .

Asking a poorly paid Everton fan to pay to watch an exceptionally rich European football player , playing for a club that has lost money , the owners subsidised that loss .
The root of this problem, is excessive wages to players and agents , not really excessive profits to owners. FFP was there because so many owners threw money at the club and lost vast sums. .

Last edited:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that is a romanticised view . And it doesnt change the fact. Players after the fans are the most important part of any club.
Buy that isnt a justification for asking a poorly paid fan to pay for an exceptionally rich French football player
That's not what I said, I said a player will earn what a club thinks is his value.

Fans don't decide the value of a player, the clubs do, players are a commodity, treated as a hero or discarded as seen fit.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not what I said, I said a player will earn what a club thinks is his value.

Fans don't decide the value of a player, the clubs do, players are a commodity, treated as a hero or discarded as seen fit.
Why do owners pay such large wages ? Do they like splashing the cash ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether they do or not is irrelevant, if they are offering a contract then they are willing.
Sorry Pagey its just the vilification of owners by the media and the players and the fans who all get so much out of football is a bit hypocritical. We all want the moon.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talksport, read out quotes from Kevin Debruyne about all of this superleague stuff.
How he was a little boy dreaming of playing for his country. In the champions league and how he loved to compete at all levels in a sporting environment.
It was heartfelt.
It bought a tear to the eye it really did.

Has he just negotiated a 400k per week salary?

The dream lives on

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue isn’t a Messi, De Bruyne or Fernandes or whoever.

Even Messi, who is on ridiculous money, is actually worth it. He brings it in for Barcelona through sponsorship, shirt sales etc. The issue is when he’s on £600-700,000 a week or whatever, you can’t not pay his teammates a lot of money as well. So, for Barcelona, they will have, I’m sure if it, pretty average players on way over £100,000 a week and pretty good, but not excellent, players on £2-300,000 a week. It’s the same everywhere, Dean Henderson signed a deal on about £80-100,000 a week last year when he wasn’t even at United if you believe reports. Romero is on £100,000 a week

They urgently need to address this and FIFA to try and force through a salary cap, which would still allow ridiculous wages to be paid btw.

Simon Jordan is talking about it now, when you listen to him speak, it's clear player wages is the massive issue in football right now.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wages are astromical, and not just in the PL, it has a knock on effect throughout the pyramid. And that’s why many clubs are struggling. For Christ’s sake I was talking to a chap at the weekend who reckoned the highest earners at Kings Lynn Town were on 1000 per week..

BigSteve

Reaction score
It seems correct to me that players receive the bulk of the money. They are the ones with the talent, who inspire and excite people and who have dedicated their lives to reaching the top level of the sport.

Why should it be any other way?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems correct to me that players receive the bulk of the money. They are the ones with the talent, who inspire and excite people and who have dedicated their lives to reaching the top level of the sport.

What is left for investment in facilities, the Academy, Wolves Ladies etc.

BigSteve

Reaction score
What is left for investment in facilities, the Academy, Wolves Ladies etc.
How to allocate a finite amount of resources is a normal decision faced by literally every business in existence. Other than for reasons of ensuring financial fairness between clubs (ie FFP), which is a legitimate rationale, I can't see why there should be any external meddling with how clubs choose to allocate resources.

BigSteve

Reaction score
The issue isn’t a Messi, De Bruyne or Fernandes or whoever.

Even Messi, who is on ridiculous money, is actually worth it. He brings it in for Barcelona through sponsorship, shirt sales etc. The issue is when he’s on £600-700,000 a week or whatever, you can’t not pay his teammates a lot of money as well. So, for Barcelona, they will have, I’m sure if it, pretty average players on way over £100,000 a week and pretty good, but not excellent, players on £2-300,000 a week. It’s the same everywhere, Dean Henderson signed a deal on about £80-100,000 a week last year when he wasn’t even at United if you believe reports. Romero is on £100,000 a week

They urgently need to address this and FIFA to try and force through a salary cap, which would still allow ridiculous wages to be paid btw.

Simon Jordan is talking about it now, when you listen to him speak, it's clear player wages is the massive issue in football right now.
Clubs pay market prices. In what sense is £100k pw "too much"? If you can get someone of the same quality for less money, hire them instead. If you can't, then you have to take the market price or employ a less skilled player.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How to allocate a finite amount of resources is a normal decision faced by literally every business in existence. Other than for reasons of ensuring financial fairness between clubs (ie FFP), which is a legitimate rationale, I can't see why there should be any external meddling with how clubs choose to allocate resources.
I didnt say anything about meddling.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From looking at the opening post somewhere between 15% and 45%, after agent fees.
Not really because there will be interest and capital repayments on financial loans, non playing staff wages and the owners presumably want a return on their investment commensurate with their perception of financial risk.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Wages are astromical, and not just in the PL, it has a knock on effect throughout the pyramid. And that’s why many clubs are struggling. For Christ’s sake I was talking to a chap at the weekend who reckoned the highest earners at Kings Lynn Town were on 1000 per week..
Wow, live just down the road from there. Haven't they got a lot of players on furlough and only name 3 or 4 subs.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, live just down the road from there. Haven't they got a lot of players on furlough and only name 3 or 4 subs.
Yes, that’s correct. I assume the wage quoted was pre-furlough.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talksport, read out quotes from Kevin Debruyne about all of this superleague stuff.
How he was a little boy dreaming of playing for his country. In the champions league and how he loved to compete at all levels in a sporting environment.
It was heartfelt.
It bought a tear to the eye it really did.

Has he just negotiated a 400k per week salary?

The dream lives on
And that power to get a salary of £21 million a year angers the owners , and is something the players don't want to give up.
This is a complex power struggle .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you dont believe money is ruining the game , and pricing out families, then I see what you mean .
The players should get the money first. I 100% agree.
But perhaps De Bruyne could live off £3 million a year not £21 million .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really because there will be interest and capital repayments on financial loans, non playing staff wages and the owners presumably want a return on their investment commensurate with their perception of financial risk.
AndyY wanting a return on your investment ,and risk, is capitalist greed. Playing football for £21 million a year is what anyone would do if they had the chance ! ;)

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone but the owners complained about the Super League but as John Barnes stated SKY, UEFA, FA , Premier League and we fans all have vested interests.
Who he forgot to mention was the players and agents.
Somewhere between 55% and 85 % of turnover goes to the players in wages and then there will be agents fees.
So when we complain about the price of Premier League and Championship tickets and SKY TV remember where that money goes .
The players and agents dont register large losses, if things go belly up.
They may be our heroes ( and villains) but I didnt hear of major pay cuts for players due to Covid and empty stadiums.
For me thats why the owners tried to change things . We have to understand that or it will happen again.
Things arent always black and white.

It was still a ripping up of all we love about football and I hated the idea of the Super League.
Where did you think the money went?

It's part of it, and when we demand new signings etc we're contributing to the problem.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
AndyY wanting a return on your investment ,and risk, is capitalist greed. Playing football for £21 million a year is what anyone would do if they had the chance ! ;)
The first part is what makes the world go round. The second part is pure greed.

Back
Top Bottom