Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The big change - more physicality !

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the recent games have put things into a bit of perspective.
On the field our more recent recruits, Traore , Gomez , Lemina , Cunha , Bueno , Dawson, Toti , even Doherty, Kilman, Hwang , have made us a much more robust physical team.
These are different to Moutinho, Silva, Podence, Jimmy , Sarabia, Neves and Semedo . Who were either smaller than the ones they were replaced by, of less robust in the tackle.
It makes more sense of the move to a British Manager , and less Mendes clients and Iberian skilful players.
Its cheaper and more likely to get a safe Premiership berth by beating the brutes in the six pointers that hang around the bottom of the league
Whether it works or not , who can forecast ? But the financial risk is lower.

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the recent games , have put things into a bit of perspective.
On the field our more recent recruits, Traore , Gomez , Lemina , Cunha , Bueno , Dawson, Toti , even Doherty, Kilman, Hwang , have made us a much more robust physical team.
These are different to Moutinho, Silva, Podence, Jimmy , Sarabia, Neves and Semedo . Who were either smaller than the ones they were replaced by, of less robust in the tackle.
It makes more sense of the move to a British Manager , and less Mendes clients and Iberian skilful players.
Its cheaper and more likely to get a safe Premiership berth by beating the brutes in the six pointers that hang around the bottom of the league
Whether it works or not - the financial risk is lower.
All we need is a beast at number 9 not a tap dancer.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the recent games have put things into a bit of perspective.
Whether it works or not , who can forecast ? But the financial risk is lower.
It’s strange for me to agree with this when Neves and Moutinho are the two best players I’ve seen at wolves. Sadly they didn’t really compliment each other and needed a more physical player alongside.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football has changed a lot in the past 2-3 years IMO, and glad we're on board with it.

The importance of physicality is as much as it's ever been. Man City used to be the poster boys for the slick possession based football, and whilst they are clearly still brilliant, they won the treble with a team of athletes, that includes four big defenders.

It's why a player like Sarabia is totally ineffective at Premier League level. He's good technically, but to be useful you need to be exceptional, like David Silva, Juan Mata level. That applies more so at a club outside the elite, where you don't always keep the ball.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
Football has changed a lot in the past 2-3 years IMO, and glad we're on board with it.

The importance of physicality is as much as it's ever been. Man City used to be the poster boys for the slick possession based football, and whilst they are clearly still brilliant, they won the treble with a team of athletes, that includes four big defenders.

It's why a player like Sarabia is totally ineffective at Premier League level. He's good technically, but to be useful you need to be exceptional, like David Silva, Juan Mata level. That applies more so at a club outside the elite, where you don't always keep the ball.
Sarabia - shocking, I clean forgot we had him....says it all I think !!...(about me and him I suspect !:eek:)

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sarabia is a strange one. When he signed there was talk of him being a pressing monster. We have seen nothing of it so far, I suspect he's not fully fit much like Hwang was off it for a full season.

It's true we are more physical, but in games like Luton we were crying out for Moutinho or Neves to put their foot on the ball beat the press.

Moutinho and Neves weren't a perfect pairing and Lemina and Gomes clearly lack something as well but it's given us an edge in other areas for sure.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sarabia is a strange one. When he signed there was talk of him being a pressing monster. We have seen nothing of it so far, I suspect he's not fully fit much like Hwang was off it for a full season.

It's true we are more physical, but in games like Luton we were crying out for Moutinho or Neves to put their foot on the ball beat the press.

Moutinho and Neves weren't a perfect pairing and Lemina and Gomes clearly lack something as well but it's given us an edge in other areas for sure.
But I bet their salaries are a fraction on those two.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed that the tackling in the Man City game was much more tenacious than previously. Someone made a 8 or 10 minute video montage. Which reinforced my own thoughts. I know that this type of video can be misleading but I remembered many from watching the game live.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Physicality was a massive problem at the first half of last year. We've gone some way to address that, though we're hardly a bunch of cloggers. And I'm not sure Hwang has more physically than Fabio.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do need to make sure we don't spill over into ill-discpline though

Last year we finished bottom of the fair play league table.....and guess what, we're bottom of it again this year too!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But twice as much football intelligence ?

Probably not! When has Sarabia ever shown anything exceptional intelligence wise? Not saying he's bad. Just bang average for a player of his experience. And I've not seen anything in Neto to suggest he's anything other than inexperienced and is learning the game. It's his finishing that's a bit dodgy, perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom