Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The best Premier League club for young players...

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is our best path to success IMO. Yes, we will sell players, but if we get the reputation of a top club for top young players to go and play for, that isn't a bad thing. We can steadily reinvest and grow the club.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What percentage of that game time is Neto?
Not wishing to seem negative, but from the list they name for us probably quite a lot. Fabio and Rayan have only played so much because of injuries to Raul and both Jonny and Marcal. Then you've got Hoever and Vitanha who've barely played. Also notable that none of these have come through our youth system.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not wishing to seem negative, but from the list they name for us probably quite a lot. Fabio and Rayan have only played so much because of injuries to Raul and both Jonny and Marcal. Then you've got Hoever and Vitanha who've barely played. Also notable that none of these have come through our youth system.
To be fair Dortmunds young stars like Sancho, Bellingham and Haaland didnt come through their youth system either. What they did is the same as us, targeted players at the right age and right price and got them then.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic table to be a part of

Maybe it's down to my being part of the football manager generation, but I love to see young players turning out for my club

I firmly believe that youth is the only way we will crash the top table (if indeed there is any chance of that).

Kudos to all for turning us into this sort of club. It chimes well with what I believe brings long term success.

Now to just start performing like a team that haven't met each for the first time 15 mins before kick off!

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair Dortmunds young stars like Sancho, Bellingham and Haaland didnt come through their youth system either. What they did is the same as us, targeted players at the right age and right price and got them then.

Precisely, if anything this is a better method than players coming through the youth system. I doubt many who join out under 8s even make it to the u23s let alone 1st team. I'm not saying we shouldn't also have those teams though.

With this method you remove far more of the risk, although potentially not cost.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Fair point. We've done a good job of picking up players in that category, even the supposed terrible mistake Silva seems to be receiving warmer reviews. Not sure to what extent the need to develop these players has blocked the path of players from our own system, maybe not at all I grant.

D

Deleted member 11332

This is our best path to success IMO. Yes, we will sell players, but if we get the reputation of a top club for top young players to go and play for, that isn't a bad thing. We can steadily reinvest and grow the club.

I think there does need to be a balance though. We've got some experienced heads now but when they retire(Moutinho) or are potentially sold (neves) we need to maintain a nice mix of youth and experience, so they will need to be replaced.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there does need to be a balance though. We've got some experienced heads now but when they retire(Moutinho) or are potentially sold (neves) we need to maintain a nice mix of youth and experience, so they will need to be replaced.
Totally agree we need a balance. But if we can become known as THE Premier League team to go to as a top young player, similar to Dortmund in Germany, that would be fantastic.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the advantage of a weaker domestic league.
Dortmund are expected to finish 2nd every season, which while they aren’t doing so this year, is usually perfectly achievable since they have a squad quality and financial advantage over everyone but Bayern.

Dortmund are under no illusions as to their place in the food chain. Being a great platform for young potential superstars to showcase their talents and earn big moves to the European elite becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, as the next in line see the clear path that’s possible. (Which is why Bellingham went to them instead of Yanited).

Selling Jota for 3-4x what we paid to the league champions might have been painful for the fans and short term 1st team, but it’s still an important statement to clubs, players and agents.
Dortmund bought Haaland knowing they’d get 2 years max out of him if he realised his potential, for a minimum €48m profit because of the release clause next year. They know they will inevitably lose stars to Bayern.
Being a ‘selling club’ isn’t always the dirty word it’s more commonly thought in England, it just has to be done properly.
Leicester sell a star every year, have reinvested well and progressed. Southampton should have technically made a fortune in player sales, but were haemorrhaging money elsewhere, reinvested poorly, and have regressed.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Intertesting

also, 7 of the top 10 sides are French... and with the financial issues in the French league we surely must be looking at taking advantage and bringing in a player or two from that league this summer... quality young players to be had

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only reason players like Sancho, Haaland and Bellingham moved to Dortmund is to play. If we can offer a similar pathway and benefit from talent like that along the way, I’m in!

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
The only reason players like Sancho, Haaland and Bellingham moved to Dortmund is to play. If we can offer a similar pathway and benefit from talent like that along the way, I’m in!
Think this is the crucial point. We have to acknowledge than in order to compete with the big teams, we need to be shopping in the same market as them, so to speak. Whilst they may have the financial muscle, if we can prove that joining Wolves is a better move in terms of game time and career progress, it gives us half a chance.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think this is the crucial point. We have to acknowledge than in order to compete with the big teams, we need to be shopping in the same market as them, so to speak. Whilst they may have the financial muscle, if we can prove that joining Wolves is a better move in terms of game time and career progress, it gives us half a chance.
You’re 100% right or I hope so anyway. Unfortunately the cash MAY always outweigh the career.

using Loftus-Cheek as an example. I argued on another thread with a poster about him. I have no doubt there is a good player in there, but let’s look at the cold hard facts.
he had potential- had a great season at palace - broke into England team - played at World Cup - got a whacking great pay rise and contract at Chelsea.

i know he’s had injuries, but he’s now on loan at Fulham and by all accounts not exactly setting the world alight. again I know it could be argued ‘but he’s playing in a bottom 3 team’ - but surely then he’d be head and shoulders above and should be the star performer.
Watching him the other night against us he pretty much did the sum total of **** all, I did actually forget he was playing at some points.

im not knocking him for it, if someone offered my £150k a week, I’d most certainly sign up too.
But he may well end up as a what could have been - as can’t get regular football at his parent club and priced out of a move elsewhere due to wages - who knows.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
You’re 100% right or I hope so anyway. Unfortunately the cash MAY always outweigh the career.

using Loftus-Cheek as an example. I argued on another thread with a poster about him. I have no doubt there is a good player in there, but let’s look at the cold hard facts.
he had potential- had a great season at palace - broke into England team - played at World Cup - got a whacking great pay rise and contract at Chelsea.

i know he’s had injuries, but he’s now on loan at Fulham and by all accounts not exactly setting the world alight. again I know it could be argued ‘but he’s playing in a bottom 3 team’ - but surely then he’d be head and shoulders above and should be the star performer.
Watching him the other night against us he pretty much did the sum total of **** all, I did actually forget he was playing at some points.

im not knocking him for it, if someone offered my £150k a week, I’d most certainly sign up too.
But he may well end up as a what could have been - as can’t get regular football at his parent club and priced out of a move elsewhere due to wages - who knows.
Good example. It does mean we have to accept playing a “stepping stone” role for the time being, but it we can continue to develop and grow the club then eventually we’ll be able to sign the very best young talents, develop them, and keep them.

Back
Top Bottom