Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The **** been taken over by yank

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Shilen Patel has dirtied his hand and taken over at the **** hole.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I suspect he’s an investor who has bagged a cheap club and hopes to get them to the riches of the Premier league where he can offload at a profit. It’s not an easy job and without the help of Mendes we would have spent a few seasons floundering in the Champ. I remember us having Saiss Cav and Costa and we still couldn’t get near promotion.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His net worth is 250 million.

I thought that was his dad's net worth not his.... either way 250 million is small change to PL owners, its a billionaires sport now not a multi millionaires.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
250m is small change in terms of half the championship owners nevermind prem.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nice to see they have got rid of that nice Mr Lai. Will the deal include paying back all his loans or will they still appear on the balance sheet? Will the Football League proper person test be an issue?

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect he’s an investor who has bagged a cheap club and hopes to get them to the riches of the Premier league where he can offload at a profit. It’s not an easy job and without the help of Mendes we would have spent a few seasons floundering in the Champ. I remember us having Saiss Cav and Costa and we still couldn’t get near promotion.
Lai probably hoped to keep West Brom in the Premier league for five years whilst spending next to no money. He'd have made £100m profit over that time (£60m per season) after selling them for what he paid.

He now walks away £140m down.

The new owner probably has similar aspirations - but he's got to get them up first.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adrian Goldberg:

“So from a position of privilege he’s done well for himself. My note of caution is how much money does he have himself that is spare to invest in West Bromwich Albion?

“Often with these business people, money is tied up in their businesses. They tend not to have tens of millions of pounds sitting there in cash. So does Shilen understand what he might be getting into?"

Methinks that the Liquidator could well be the most appropriate song West Brom could ever play.

It hasn't escaped my notice, either, that Shilen Patel contains the words 'penal' and '****'.

All the signs are there.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Lai gets £20m in cash and the new owner also takes on the £40m in outstanding debt. Bargain price if he can invest modestly, get them promoted, and keep them up for a season or two. A bit more about his background here, including his wish to own a football club, and his previous business interests. Looking at the latter, I wouldn’t be too surprised if he quickly sold the club for a profit if he managed to get them up, and reinvest the proceeds in another club.

Madmalc

Reaction score
The new PSR and FFP rules with wages and the writing off transfer fees having to be less than 70% of Turnover might lower the wealth bar for club ownership across all of the leagues.
Personally I'd like to see 5 or 6 more Midlands clubs in the Premier League, with fewer Manchester, Merseyside, and London clubs.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really wanted them to go to the wall, I detest that poxy club and its fans that much.

I read that the family is worth £2 Billion on that one of their forums, that means absolutely nothing though, as we know the wealth of FOSUN and owner overall

Watch those jammy ****ers get up this season, just makes it a whole lot easier for them with that cushion of money.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if they come up and spend they will get screwed by FFP and VAR

Madmalc

Reaction score
I really wanted them to go to the wall, I detest that poxy club and its fans that much.

I read that the family is worth £2 Billion on that one of their forums, that means absolutely nothing though, as we know the wealth of FOSUN and owner overall

Watch those jammy ****ers get up this season, just makes it a whole lot easier for them with that cushion of money.
I'm not that sure that a new owner can completely disregard the PSR and FFP rules, so wouldn’t be surprised if they spent some more seasons in the championship.
It would be even funnier if they squandered some cash along the way.
What's the old Chinese curse?
'May they live in interesting times!'

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The guy may or may not turn out a good owner. But in their current financial plight they just needed someone. Also losses are capped at quite a low level in the Championship I seem to recall, so though this guy doesn't seem that rich, as football club owners go, he doesn't need to put in much to have a good go at promotion.
Suppose he could double his money on promotion but it's knowing when to quit (and having a buyer - Albion at £160 million, even in the Premier league, is a lot riskier than at £60million in the Championship).

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t see them going up this season, I think Leeds/Saints are too strong and Leicester are already up. Next season will be a much weaker Championship though looking at the teams heading down so a good chance for them there if this chap is going to give a decent transfer kitty.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t see them going up this season, I think Leeds/Saints are too strong and Leicester are already up. Next season will be a much weaker Championship though looking at the teams heading down so a good chance for them there if this chap is going to give a decent transfer kitty.
It depends on what happens with Everton & Forest. Burnley have been awful this season but got over 100 points last season so will be favourites to go straight back up. If Forest & Everton get relegated by virtue of a points deduction you'd imagine they'd be much too strong for the Championship next season

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s also the money the premier league brings, the teams down the bottom will have a healthy bank balance to strengthen well, in championship standards

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't fancy Albion against either Leeds or Southampton over a two game semi final play off.....but anything is possible in a wembley final.....dont want them getting the chance at that with there luck .....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His parents are wealthy, but I think £2 billion is stretching it. Most of the references I’ve seen are for about half that. Still not short of cash. It’s also worth noting that they have also committed several hundred million of their wealth to philanthropic causes, for which they are well known. I don’t think I’d class WBA as a charity case, but others might disagree!

Back
Top Bottom