Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The ‘No A Holes Policy’

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Thought the following comment from Matt Hobbs following his promotion to sporting director is interesting….

“Most people can watch a Premier League game and see a good player, but where we have to make sure our standards never slip, is our rule to avoid players who negatively impact the group. For Nathan (Collins) and Bouba (Traore) we had over 35 personal references. It is important that these are from a variety of sources and different stages in their career to date, including times they been out of form or out of a team.”

So that’s the no @holes policy confirmed as still in operation! Also interesting to get some insight into the number of references and background checks they’re doing on players. Some folks would well to consider that before making ‘clown’ comments and the like on the transfer threads….

Hobbs went on….“Julen also won’t sign a player he hasn’t spoken to, which is something we have wanted for while. He wants to meet every player before we sign them, either face-to-face or a call on Zoom because he wants to have a feel for them as people.”

Not sure what to make of above, either Nunu or Bruno weren‘t interested in meeting potential players or Sellers didn’t give them the opportunity. Either way, great to see Lopetegui being very hands on and another little positive sign of good changes happening at the club.

Last edited:

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Thought the following comment from Matt Hobbs following his promotion to sporting director is interesting….

“Most people can watch a Premier League game and see a good player, but where we have to make sure our standards never slip, is our rule to avoid players who negatively impact the group. For Nathan (Collins) and Bouba (Traore) we had over 35 personal references. It is important that these are from a variety of sources and different stages in their career to date, including times they been out of form or out of a team.”

So that’s the no @holes policy confirmed as still in operation! Also interesting to get some insight into the number of references and background checks they’re doing on players. Some folks would well to consider that before making ‘clown’ comments and the like on the transfer threads….

Hobbs went on….“Julen also won’t sign a player he hasn’t spoken to, which is something we have wanted for while. He wants to meet every player before we sign them, either face-to-face or a call on Zoom because he wants to have a feel for them as people.”

Not sure what to make of above, either Nunu or Bruno weren‘t interested in meeting potential players or Sellers didn’t give them the opportunity. Either way, great to see Lopetegui being very hands on and another little positive sign of good changes happening at the club.
Explains the faf

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is great to see and welcome. Due diligence is important and a player's personality as important as his footballing ability. However commenting on what is seen with one's own eyes does not make the comments 'clown'.
Hobbs singles-out Collins and Traore, however the recent criticism of our latest purchases mainly concentrates on the attitudes, body-language and lack of performances from Guedes and Nunes. My observations (clown or not) indicate that to date they have been poor with questionable body-language leading me to question whether either want to be at Wolves.
Of course, this may be down to Lage, Sellars and that neither signed-on for a relegation scrap or a myriad of other reasons. Whether Loppy and the new regime can change this dramatically remains to be seen, but to date, neither have impressed and shown the necessary heart and bottle to get us away from danger.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
This is great to see and welcome. Due diligence is important and a player's personality as important as his footballing ability. However commenting on what is seen with one's own eyes does not make the comments 'clown'.
Hobbs singles-out Collins and Traore, however the recent criticism of our latest purchases mainly concentrates on the attitudes, body-language and lack of performances from Guedes and Nunes. My observations (clown or not) indicate that to date they have been poor with questionable body-language leading me to question whether either want to be at Wolves.
Of course, this may be down to Lage, Sellars and that neither signed-on for a relegation scrap or a myriad of other reasons. Whether Loppy and the new regime can change this dramatically remains to be seen, but to date, neither have impressed and shown the necessary heart and bottle to get us away from danger.
I’m in complete agreement on the attitudes and body language of some of the players we’ve signed.

My reference to ‘clown’ comments was related to those on the transfer threads (who were actually calling Hobbs and co ‘clowns’!) where some seem to think the transfer business is nothing more complicated than their experience on Football Manager and have no concept of the effort involved in getting these very complex deals over the line. Just the logistics of collating 30 references and checking and verifying is huge!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m in complete agreement on the attitudes and body language of some of the players we’ve signed.

My reference to ‘clown’ comments was related to those on the transfer threads (who were actually calling Hobbs and co ‘clowns’!) where some seem to think the transfer business is nothing more complicated than their experience on Football Manager and have no concept of the effort involved in getting these very complex deals over the line. Just the logistics of collating 30 references and checking and verifying is huge!
Gotcha- thanks.

lycophilos

Reaction score

Hobbs went on….“Julen also won’t sign a player he hasn’t spoken to, which is something we have wanted for a while. He wants to meet every player before we sign them, either face-to-face or a call on Zoom because he wants to have a feel for them as people.”

Not sure what to make of above, either Nuno or Bruno weren‘t interested in meeting potential players or Sellers didn’t give them the opportunity. Either way, great to see Lopetegui being very hands on and another little positive sign of good changes happening at the club.
Nuno was always very keen on developing a pack/family mentality at and around the club, so he would certainly have preferred to meet potential players. I would be pretty certain that the "for a while" comment refers to the period since Nuno, and highlights one of the major differences between Nuno and Bruno.

As an admirer of Nuno's methods, including his opposition to signing @holes - however good they might be as footballers - I am heartened to hear that in this respect Lopetegui aligns with Nuno.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd probably struggle to find many coaches who would admit to seeking to recruit Ah's, apart from those who themselves clearly qualify for the title. SEO's and Directors are however often inexplicably drawn to them - something that is not unique to the world of football unfortunately.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very encouraged by the point about Julen wanting to speak personally to potential signings. He obviously wants to show who is in charge and start to form a bond with the player.

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

For someone who said "I have the last say and a veto" it wouldn't surprise me Sellars didn't give them the opportunity.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd probably struggle to find many coaches who would admit to seeking to recruit Ah's, apart from those who themselves clearly qualify for the title. SEO's and Directors are however often inexplicably drawn to them - something that is not unique to the world of football unfortunately.
The number of seniors who think that they are the one who can change things.... lol

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Whe you read the various press releases not only the words but between the lines it's clear to see that there have been quite a few problems brewing off the pitch for some time, hopefully these will get sorted and we will start to see progress on the pitch

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The world is a small place now, I think the days of finding an hidden gem who'll be worth a small fortune are over as they'll just be collected by one of the big clubs who can stockpile players. Most clubs networks are massive and all the top flight clubs probably have the same database of players. For clubs like Wolves to gain an advantage, the background checks on what type of character they are will be vital. For example we could identify two players and want to sign one of them. One could be slightly better than the other but has a poor attitude and ignores advice from the manager/coaches. The other could have a great attitude and is willing to learn, so his value could be much higher in a couple of years time but also cheaper in the present.

10 years ago we'd probably just go with the better player currently, then once he gets to the club we'd quickly find out we'd made a mistake.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whe you read the various press releases not only the words but between the lines it's clear to see that there have been quite a few problems brewing off the pitch for some time, hopefully these will get sorted and we will start to see progress on the pitch
Jonny disrespecting Bruno said a lot.

Seems some players think they are bigger and better than the coaches.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a fair few fans have already commented that we are too nice on the pitch. Hence one reason why we are bottom.
So when Podence roles around for the 15th time, or Neves picks up a suspension for another 5 yellow cards its because we are too nice?
I don't think so. I think there is one reason and one reason only. Not enough goalscorers.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Just a question: can this policy lead to recruiting too many ‘nice’ players, as well as prolong the recruitment process?
Theres a big difference though in being 'nice' and having a good attitude towards training, matches, fitness, team moral etc. You can still have a tough/ruthless streak, have the above, and still not be an @hole!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
No, didn't say it did, just saying that although Julen relied on him once he can't do the same now. We have to buy/loan/steal a striker or two now or we are down.
Maybe read what I’m replying to or even the thread title
No one is saying he’ll keep us up or that he’s not past it just that he’s likeable off the pitch that’s all.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe read what I’m replying to or even the thread title
No one is saying he’ll keep us up or that he’s not past it just that he’s likeable off the pitch that’s all.
Fair enough. I guess the clue is in the title. Please don't make me read the rest of the thread though.

Back
Top Bottom