Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thank You Dad- For Making Me Support Wolves

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Don't want this to get too sloppy, but someone died that was close to me very recently- and this got me to thinking about my Dad that died a couple of years ago.

He was the reason that I support Wolves. He took me to my first game nearly 40 years ago, when I fell in love completely with this club. I was only a little boy, the ground was a shed, the team was struggling- but wow, it affected me.

For most of this time, it has been a struggle- apart from a few good seasons, it has been a long grind- but always worth it. Now, watching this great club- in our stylish kit, at a ground that is pretty good- but is going to be modernised and improved vastly soon, is a complete pleasure. A squad better than we have seen for several generations at least, and the promise of only getting better under Nuno is quite humbling.

Just want to say thanks to me Dad. Just wish he was here now to enjoy it. He left us just before the new owners came in. I suppose you can't have everything. Wish he did.

Sutton

Reaction score
Don't want this to get too sloppy, but someone died that was close to me very recently- and this got me to thinking about my Dad that died a couple of years ago.

He was the reason that I support Wolves. He took me to my first game nearly 40 years ago, when I fell in love completely with this club. I was only a little boy, the ground was a shed, the team was struggling- but wow, it affected me.

For most of this time, it has been a struggle- apart from a few good seasons, it has been a long grind- but always worth it. Now, watching this great club- in our stylish kit, at a ground that is pretty good- but is going to be modernised and improved vastly soon, is a complete pleasure. A squad better than we have seen for several generations at least, and the promise of only getting better under Nuno is quite humbling.

Just want to say thanks to me Dad. Just wish he was here now to enjoy it. He left us just before the new owners came in. I suppose you can't have everything. Wish he did.

Almost identical story Pro. Thanks Dad and Grandad before him. It's in the blood....

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Similar sentiments from me -- Dad took me when I was 6 I think - I think it was FA Cup game v Norwich in 1970 - but I'm not really sure. First one I can certainly remember is 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal in snow in Nov 71.

What I do know is that I'm truly grateful and Wolves will always be my club.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other way round here. My Dad was Irish and more interested in hurling. But I made it my business to brain wash my sons. I was thinking 'Why should they get away with it ' :D Turns out they probably have great times ahead of them.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...I was thinking 'Why should they get away with it '

Theres certainly some irish parental logic in there somewhere.

I'd say one of the great things about being a wolves fan is experienciing the highs and extreme lows that most other clubs have never experienced. Lets face it none of the 75000 of us who went to watch the 2nd replay playing Chorley away have ever forgotten being present on that momentous night. The record ever attendance at Burnden Park I believe.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Being born 'darn sarth' in the 50's, where Bees, Fulham, QPR and Chelsea were within 20 miles of where born and lived, I have my formerly Spurs supporting older brother to thank - even though he played for 2 of the above - after brainwashing me into supporting Wolves, as soon as the post '60 Cup Final slump set in...he gave me the record of the Blackburn final, as my 4th birthday present, and my 1st ever record for the newly installed 'stereo'.

He had also had his brain 'Wolf-washed' by neighbours, so at least he had the late fifties glory days....still, we were both at Highfield Rd, and he travelled up to the recent Burnley game, as I watched from shores afar.

Last edited:
P

Pinhead

my grandad and dad both supported wolves so I had no choice and now my 2 nippers have no choice either just wish they could both have seen this squad they would have loved it big time

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My dad converted my mom from being an Albion fan when they met in the mid sixties. As a girl she even used to take all the younger kids in her street to the Albion games and looked after them before heralding them all back to Cradley. So thanks to my dad, whose family are from Penn we’re all Wolves in our family. He died suddenly a couple of years ago. Wolves scarf buried with him on top of the coffin dropped on top by my mom before he departed, and she is always up the Crem telling him about the latest game. Killed me last year when she rang up in tears saying that she wished he was here to see this team.

Dragonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My Dad was Cardiff City (I grew up in Mid Wales in the 60s/70s) but I had 2 uncles who travelled to the Midlands separately to support 2 different clubs (1 Wolves and the other Albion) and both took me with them. There wasn't the hate back then and I loved going to both. My Albion supporting uncle died when I was about 12 so Wolves it was.

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My dad took me to my first game when i was 6, i wore a blue and white thomas the tank hat n scarf.... we played brum:D:oops: it was the only game he took me to. We didnt have the best relationship but so glad he planted that wolves seed.

I promised to take him last year when he got ill but never managed to do it...:(

Now i have a baby on the way i cant wait to take he/she to their first game :D

Jam Tam Van Man

Reaction score
I just realised during a conversation the other day that 40 years have crept by since my introduction to Molineux, a rare venture into the calm of the Waterloo Road stand for my North Bank inhabiting Dad. Vague recollections of Kenny Hibbitt scoring from seemingly miles out against a team in red in the 77-78 season. I was 7 and euphoric, hence the lack of recall. Normal service was resumed when he trusted me to stand on a milk crate in the North Bank, right behind the goal, me stood by the barrier and him somehow protecting me from the crush when the crowd surged, and from the late, ****ed up blokes who tried to push in around us.
This man, my hero still, is now approaching 78, and is struggling to get to games lately, awaiting results to see if he needs hip replacement or it's just muscle tears on the thigh from his squash playing days. To be honest, it breaks my heart.
He missed the systematic dismantling of the team that finished 7th last year, had to watch it on Sky at home, which just ain't the same
We joke that my 14 year old son will be driving us both to matches soon, as he's now got a season ticket, 2 rows in front of us, in the same spot on what will always be the North Bank (sorry Stan). And so it goes on, the circle of life in the Wolf Pack.
I'm going to ring the club later on, see if we can get my Dad in the disabled bit, but I'm guessing you need blue badges for that sort of thing, gotta try and keep him going as long as possible. We shall see.
Anyway, thanks Dad. For everything.

R

reanswolf

I often ask my lad whether I brain-washed him into supporting Wolves and whether he has any regrets. He is 14 now and is absolutely besotted withWolves.

The dreadful thing is he is turning into a mini-me. When he sees Man Utd fans he says “bloody glory hunter” and trots out the exact phrases I do.

But my dream was to share such joys as we do now, with him. Last season was fantastic to share, and he just loves the SouthBank singing away.

He already has the absolute love of Wolves.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Almost identical story Pro. Thanks Dad and Grandad before him. It's in the blood....

Not really religious, but just a thought.....

Wouldn't it be great if they all got together up there (wherever that is) and planned how to make us great again.

They sent us Fosun, Nuno, Neves and Co and are now sitting back watching, beer in hand, admiring their handiwork!

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Heart warming stuff. I assume he lived through our real glory years so i'm sure he would be ecstatic that hopefully you may now be able to witness such glory.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Many will have a very similar story. Love that post.

Keep passing that baton on pal.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

oof mate. Just got home, long day, tired. I'm on the deck, pinot in hand and reading your story. I ain't talked to my old man in months, gonna give him a call tomorrow morning.
Do it dads aren't around forever.
I miss mine

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
oof mate. Just got home, long day, tired. I'm on the deck, pinot in hand and reading your story. I ain't talked to my old man in months, gonna give him a call tomorrow morning.
Do it man. Even though we never got on, I wish I'd done it more when my dad was around.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mine wasn’t quite the same story unfortunately. My dad did take me to a few games when I was small and I loved it but after my parents split up and he started a new family I guess he found it hard to have an influence in my life after we moved away in another new family and we know how costly these things get.

I flirted about with supporting Utd briefly (I know but they were on tele a lot) mainly to get a reaction out my dad when I saw him. He never really tried to change that which I found strange and disappointing - he’d just tease me which was fun at least.

Eventually came round to my senses and thought sod it I’ll do it for myself and when my brother was older we shared the love of wolves and it’s certainly what keeps us close.

My dad has never maintained the passion he once had which is a massive shame but it makes me very determined to do it right with my son who is 3.

“We are wolfs daddy”
“yes we are son!”

I look forward to taking him to his first game with his uncle and possibly grand dad.

So yeah not all journeys are simple but you get there some how!

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Dad took me to THAT Leeds game in 1972. All I remember was the greenest grass and those Gold shirts. I used to get plonked in the Waterloo road enclosure down by the wall.

I only made a few games a year, as it was a trek from Powys.

Dad died when I was fighting in Falklands and I wasn’t informed until I was on the ship home 2 weeks later. He was 52. So keep in touch with your parents while they are still here.

Anyway 2 of my lads support Wolves and they are indoctrinating their kids already. That generation should see some great times at Molineux. (Third son has no interest in sports of any kind, I blame the milk man)

Moseley Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Similar story to a lot on here, my nan was Wolves nuts and went regularly from 1920’s on, then followed my dad who introduced me to it late 70’s, now my lad comes with me. Last year was his first as a Wolves season ticket holder so hoping he doesn’t have as many low points and he is now making me do away games lol! My only regret is my dad passed before he got to meet my son and ever had the chance to go to the match 3 generations together! My older son has no interest in football,both very different.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
As with everyone else my Dad took me to my first game after me nagging him to. He was a fan in the 50's and a teddy boy who married in the early 60's, they had me and he drifted away.

He went from taking me, to taking me and my mates from Heath Town in the 70's. Then he got a job behind the bar so I could get in and have the freedom on Molineux until the turnstiles opened. This was the only period in my life where he wouldn't do the work/pub/afternoon nap/working men's club routine on an Saturday and I cherished it. Then like most young men I started to go on my own with my mates.

Last time we went to Molineux together we were on the guest list for the unveiling of the Stan Cullis statue, where he got to sit with, drink with and chat to his heroes, who in turn just treated him like one of their own, asking him stories! Can hear Norman Deeley shouting across the room "Bren, what you drinking?" insignificant words but meant a lot to me.

Miss not being able to argue the toss with him now, but I can still hear him telling me this lot are no where near as good as his team.

Looking forward to reading my son's post about his dad getting him into The Wolves. Over to you son.........

Last edited:

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Pops is the reason I'm a Wolves fan.

As a 6 or 7 year old I had a passing interest in football, I loved kicking a ball about in the park behind our house but didn't really think about watching the games on TV or actually going to one. I just wanted to be the one with the ball. I knew of Wolves of course, my Dad bought me a shirt and told me you're a Wolves fan. I believed him and thought nothing more of it and went off to pretend to be this young Bully goal machine my Dad kept telling me about and who I saw score for England and had to go and jump up and down in the front garden with my Dad when it happened.

My brother was born in 1988, he's almost 9 years younger than me and my exasperated mother basically forced my Dad to take me to a game, get me out of the house and probably help to cut down on the amount of grubby football kit I was generating rolling around and doing slide tackles on other kids, dogs and other inanimate objects.

Off we trotted to a ramshackle Molineux, only two sides open, a portakabin club shop where I got bought a scarf and a Wolves (and weirdly Rangers) bobble hat to match my shirt.

We took our seats in the John Ireland Stand, surrounded by cigarette smoke, older sweary and angrier people than I've met before and waiting for Stevie Bull to rampage through the opposition. Who the **** is Paul McLoughlin and why is Bully not playing? Devastated.

Swindon were the opposition, fresh from Lou Macari doing stuff with money or something that I didn't understand. They were good but McLoughlin scored twice and we won. I was delighted and went to school telling anybody who would listen what a great game it was and how good McLoughlin was.

That was the start of the adventure. Umpteen season tickets later and countless car journeys to glamourous places like Luton, Burslem and Grimsby watching Bully rampaging. Best mates talking football.

Rob Hindmarch running through molasses making Ian Marshall look like Gabriel Batistuta. Being excited by Geoff Thomas signing, Froggy racing down the wing. De Wolf's golden locks cascading as he stroked home his hat trick. Being disappointed as all 3 succumbed to injury. Bully rampaging. ****ing Bolton. ****ing Palace. Robbie Keane bursting onto the scene, Bully rampaging. McGhee going mental. Robbie Keane leaving, Bully retiring. Irwin, Ince and Rae, Cardiff. Matt Murray for England! Camara the African footballer of the year. Matt Murray retiring, Kightly, Jarvis, Iwelumo and Ebanks-Blake.......... Premier League!

My Dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer just a couple of weeks before Christmas 2010, less than a year after he retired. Wolves were **** but we still went.

He died on the 9th September 2012, 6 months before his first grandchild, my oldest daughter was born. Easily the darkest day of my life so far. My best mate gone. A Billy Wright tribute programme from the Tranmere game after he died was placed in his coffin along with the shirt, scarf and half Wolves/Rangers hat he bought me on our first trip to Molineux together.

In the years after he'd have counted himself lucky to have missed some of the dross served up by Solbakken and Saunders but by golly he'd have loved this now.

It makes me sad that he's missing this. The greatest championship team of all time, featuring the best player I've ever seen play for Wolves, scoring the best goal I've ever seen.

I took my daughter to Molineux in the summer and bought her very first Wolves top. Number 8 and Neves on the back. Her teacher at Primary school makes her sing the Neves song and now calls her Ruben. She loves it and wants to go to a game.

My Dad would be proud that the next generation is ready to go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Ahh this not the thread to be reading Friday afternoon at work! Can't even blame hay fever

E

Edgmond Wolf

I often ask my lad whether I brain-washed him into supporting Wolves and whether he has any regrets. He is 14 now and is absolutely besotted withWolves.

The dreadful thing is he is turning into a mini-me. When he sees Man Utd fans he says “bloody glory hunter” and trots out the exact phrases I do.

But my dream was to share such joys as we do now, with him. Last season was fantastic to share, and he just loves the SouthBank singing away.

He already has the absolute love of Wolves.
Good lad

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks Dad for taking me to my first match in 85 as a 5 year old.
And for paying for my season ticket all those years, even though I don’t go as much now, it’s still great spending Wolves games with my Dad and Bro!

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for the post professional. My Dad took me in 1965 against Southampton. I was only 6 and with the sight of those beautiful gold shirts I was hooked. I think with all the ups and downs it's been a bit of a "boy named sue scenario. It's made me the Man I am o_O. But thanks Dad. Wish you was here to see em now.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My story is slightly different, my dad followed everything Wolves including both football and speedway, however never had time for his family, so I went with my mates. We never attended a game together, I'm now in my 50's and he has passed away, fortunately I have learned from his mistakes and driving back from the Burnley game with my son listening to the excitement in his voice as he attempts to verbalise what he has just watched. From an early age I always bought him a shirt with his name and age on the back, watching him play with his Villa, Liverpool, and Manc mates, I used to feel a tinge of guilt, like I had passed on a family curse, thank god for Fosun , Nuno and all associated with the club, my lad is off to uni today for his second year, and will be wearing his colours with pride. And I can feel satisfied with a job well done.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like many others I inherited wolves from my dad and hope to pass it onto my daughters

As an aside, I have this weird thing where if someone supports man utd / big club rather than their local club I see it as a sign of a weak or missing father figure

Back
Top Bottom