Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Telegraph: Wolves benefit from tax payer fund

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Do Castore manufacture their products in the UK? Is all Wolves merchandise made by Castore or in the UK? I would have thought the pre season tour to South Korea would have been part of the export of the Wolves brand the Govt. grant (not a loan?) is there to support.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not clear to me whether this is a loan or a grant, but I think it's the latter. The guarantees given from our owners relate simply to how the money is spent, I think. I'm a little uneasy about it. If the article was about Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, or similar clubs, I wouldn't be at all impressed. It's hardly a level playing field if some clubs are getting government aid.

EDIT: Actually, now I'm not sure that it is a loan or a grant. I think it's just a guarantee that they get investment repaid if they make a loss on foreign markets. I'm still a bit uneasy, but less so.
it is neither. its just a guarantee. its very isleading to say the taxpayer is funding. if we go bust then they would pick up some of the tab. otherwise no money changes hands

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

this is what it is. it allows lenders to support the club because there is a government gtee. nothing to see here

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight....a Chinese owned company can get a grant of nearly 100m to develop itself overseas, to boost its profits which will end up overseas (in China). While the locals hired by the club have minimum wage. We have a special government, the red corridors must be echoing with laughter.

(I haven't actually read it, just fancied a uninformed rant)

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight....a Chinese owned company can get a grant of nearly 100m to develop itself overseas, to boost its profits which will end up overseas (in China). While the locals hired by the club have minimum wage. We have a special government, the red corridors must be echoing with laughter.

And you are spot on with Uninformed.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Export credit guarantees are not that unusual and as others have said no money changes hands unless the terms of the guarantee are met. Hats off to Wolves for being the first.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, and we may have to play some home games in Wuhan. (I haven't read it either, though).

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't understand what it means or how it benefits us? Do the govt act as a guarantor should we want to get a £90m loan and we go bust?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's funding or a loan, but merely credit guarantee or insurance for export activity up to the value of £99m. It's an extra surety or safety net.

There's also something about using it as a Govt. guarantee for getting paid for selling product to overseas investors.
Overseas investors would theoretically be investing into a British company so the British company uses it's Government's own insurance to protect it's assets in case they get welched on, where private insurance may not be obtainable or affordable.
Good for Britain, good for investor confidence in a country that is crying out for foreign investment etc.. It takes away some business risk.

Just cannot understand how this works for things like selling shirts and merchandise, which we take most of the payments for over the counter in the UK, but we have some weird overseas deals with other companies like gaming and sponsorships...who knows how they are setup to ensure we get paid from our 'product' being exported ?

It's an interesting question...what are we exporting and what is our product? Is it intellectual property, trademark, advertising and franchising rights? We play in the UK and the product is entertainment-based and broadcast?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No. Its not a grant. Its not even a loan

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Such is the **** poor state of the Express and Star these days it’s taken them over 48 hours to ‘break’ this story. When I was young I could walk from the Molineux and by the time I’d gotten to Queen St the pink was on sale with a report and pictures of the game! That was over 35yrs ago what happened to progress?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it is a loan guarantee that will be helpful, and should see us be a bit more adventurous.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Just seen this on Dinglec watch

Dingles going down the plug-hole faster than we are I hope.
Of course, everything's going swimmingly, damn good deal etc, etc

They are so stupid don't they know that there is a guarantor - but then I thought you could buy over 1.5 of them and still have £9 m left. Disturbing if your of their persuasion

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what ive read and seen on other outlets its similar to the Macquarie loans we have had in the past
It helps with cash flow by guaranteeing sums up to £100 mil
Its guaranteed by Fosun not Wolves as a club and was taken out a year ago
So no its not a war chest but could free up cash in a round about way

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what ive read and seen on other outlets its similar to the Macquarie loans we have had in the past
It helps with cash flow by guaranteeing sums up to £100 mil
Its guaranteed by Fosun not Wolves as a club and was taken out a year ago
So no its not a war chest but could free up cash in a round about way
Probably already did free up funds when we bought Sasa, Guedes and Nunes last year.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Whoever spotted it deserves a Steve Bull signed shirt and a bonus,” says Kieran Maguire.

"The interest rate on the UKEF loan is understood to be between three and four per cent. That compares to a rate of 7.14 per cent in the last financial year on the Macquarie loans — a rate that Maguire estimates would stand at between nine and 10 per cent due to a rise in global base rates."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom