Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team vs Sheff Utd Home

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As many have said, we simply have to start at a high-tempo and stop this side to side, across the back BS. If we give them time to reset their defensive lines then we'll just see exactly the same performance as we got with Brentford.

Again some have already said - Doyle, is maybe not the best defensively, but he can pick the forward pass between the lines.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I understand why people are calling for Doyle in this one, given his passing ability, but Sheffield will come for a fight, their football will be quite ugly I feel, we'll need all of our most combative players, that means Gomes and Lemina in CM.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As many have said, we simply have to start at a high-tempo and stop this side to side, across the back BS. If we give them time to reset their defensive lines then we'll just see exactly the same performance as we got with Brentford.

Again some have already said - Doyle, is maybe not the best defensively, but he can pick the forward pass between the lines.

We all want them to play high tempo attacking football but it's not feasible with 10 men behind the ball.

The space is always down the wings and passing it side to side is essential to create gaps. Man City do exactly the same, albeit in midfield rather than across the back.

They are trying to draw a player out of position to create a gap to exploit.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all want them to play high tempo attacking football but it's not feasible with 10 men behind the ball.

The space is always down the wings and passing it side to side is essential to create gaps. Man City do exactly the same, albeit in midfield rather than across the back.

They are trying to draw a player out of position to create a gap to exploit.
You forgot to add - they probably do it a lot better than any other team in the world right now.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton play on Saturday at 3.00 V Everton, so will get an extra day of rest, but still need to travel up to us.

Play full strength as possible with the most suitable team. If we go lead by 2 goals then make the changes.

I have a feeling the Brighton game could go the distance, which would then impact the team for Newcastle. but lets worrying about that anoehv day ,

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look at our average positions, we more or less play with a back 4 already.

Very little difference either side between Semedo's and Toti's average positions. Lemina and Gomes sitting in front, Ait Nouri and Sarabia further forward, with Sarabia generally a little narrower, then 2 attacking more centrally (Neto, plus Hwang or Cunha).

Average positions against Spurs & Chelsea below.....

1708357222673.png1708357379918.png

The system is 3-4-3 on paper, but in reality, it's more like the 4-2-2-2 Lopetegui used effectively last season.

We are quite fluid during games and I suppose it's tweaking the personnel more than the system from game to game that will probably make the most difference. But we don't have that many available options to turn to.

This game will mean far more of the ball. Maybe Doyle in for Lemina or Gomes could work. Maybe Doherty coming in as a more attacking wing-back, but who do you drop?

Could maybe drop a centre back, have Ait-Nouri play the more traditional left back role Toti has been playing, and bring in another recognised attacking midfield or forward player for the Ait Nouri role? But that was what we tried second half against Brentford and it didn't really work.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be tempted to go 4:3:3 with Doyle alongside Lemina and Gomes. I would definitely play Sarabia as he has that ability to pick players in tight situations. Sheff Utd seem a funny side in that whilst they’re bad they can sometimes be absolutely clueless
Hence losing 5,6 and 8 in various matches. Get at them early and they can fall apart. Admittedly yesterday they were set up to play 5 at the back but were undone after 15 minutes by Holgate. Even though we lost at Brammal Lane we could/should have been out of sight at half time.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be tempted to go 4:3:3 with Doyle alongside Lemina and Gomes. I would definitely play Sarabia as he has that ability to pick players in tight situations. Sheff Utd seem a funny side in that whilst they’re bad they can sometimes be absolutely clueless
Hence losing 5,6 and 8 in various matches. Get at them early and they can fall apart. Admittedly yesterday they were set up to play 5 at the back but were undone after 15 minutes by Holgate. Even though we lost at Brammal Lane we could/should have been out of sight at half time.

We're getting into territory where the first goal is so important again.

Like you say, nick one early against these and we could have a field day if they are forced into coming out to try and equalise. Then they tend to capitalise after they go 3 down.

But gift them a set piece goal like we did against Brentford and it could be another very frustrating afternoon.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look at our average positions, we more or less play with a back 4 already.

Very little difference either side between Semedo's and Toti's average positions. Lemina and Gomes sitting in front, Ait Nouri and Sarabia further forward, with Sarabia generally a little narrower, then 2 attacking more centrally (Neto, plus Hwang or Cunha).

View attachment 40597View attachment 40598

The system is 3-4-3 on paper, but in reality, it's more like the 4-2-2-2 Lopetegui used effectively last season.

We are quite fluid during games and I suppose it's tweaking the personnel more than the system from game to game that will probably make the most difference. But we don't have that many available options to turn to.

This game will mean far more of the ball. Maybe Doyle in for Lemina or Gomes could work. Maybe Doherty coming in as a more attacking wing-back, but who do you drop?

Could maybe drop a centre back, have Ait-Nouri play the more traditional left back role Toti has been playing, and bring in another recognised attacking midfield or forward player for the Ait Nouri role? But that was what we tried second half against Brentford and it didn't really work.
I think you can actually see that as 343. It’s just skewed to be more attacking down the left.
Probably a bit of a mirror image of what we used to do with Doc and Traore/Costa on the right and the more stay at home Jonny and narrower inside forward Jota?

One thing better about our current team is Toti is far more comfortable filling in as a fullback than any rcb we had under Nuno.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key will be keeping a clean sheet. It's seldom easy to break down a packed defence, even for the best teams, so we need to stay patient and a goal should come sometime during the 90 minutes. If we fall behind it could become very difficult. I'd settle for a game like Burnley at Molineux, poor quality but a clean sheet, a 1-0 win and three more points.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to stick with Lemina and Gomes, for me. Yes, Doyle's more progressive on the ball, but if we want ALL of the ball, we'll need to win it back over and over again when we're not attacking and that's what these two should bring us. Neto et al will hurt them.

Offer no encouragement, hunt them down and pressure them early... They're at the bottom for a reason.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, the side to side across the back kills us in these games and has done for years. We never box teams in and force panic and errors, we never get any momentum in these games and never look like turning the screw.

I’d go with an extra man in midfield and hope that Semedo and RAN can basically play as wingers for the most part, that leaves 2 up front to pick out and occupy defenders. So yea, 352.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right, there's a high chance we are going to lose this 0-1. There just is.
So, in view of the Brighton cup game, I would give the fringe players a chance to shine:

Sa
Doc, kilman, bueno, toti, bueno
Doyle, traore
Bellgarde, Hwang, neto

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right, there's a high chance we are going to lose this 0-1. There just is.
So, in view of the Brighton cup game, I would give the fringe players a chance to shine:

Sa
Doc, kilman, bueno, toti, bueno
Doyle, traore
Bellgarde, Hwang, neto
That is probably a pretty good way to make your pessimism more likely to come true.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I completely understand people saying Doyle should play, but I think I would stick with the same team that beat spurs.

Sheffield United aren't Brentford.They are not at that level and are absolutely nowhere near as good defensively.

The players that started the Spurs game should be more than good enough to break them down if they play with a high tempo and move the ball quickly.

Failing that, Doyle can still have an impact off the bench.

We need to be patient this weekend and not lose our cool if it's a stalemate at half time.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Robinson v Neto concerns a bit - Robinson is always over physical in his challenges (Holgate style) and hope Neto uses his awareness to avoid injury - can see a potential red card there.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who got sent off for Sheff Utd v Brighton? How intregal are they to how they play?

I'd stick to 343 but Doyle in for Gomes, harsh as that seems. Lemina can hopefully do a DM job with Kilman & Toti stepping out to mop up long balls/2nd balls.
If the midfield 2 is getting outnumbered after first 10 mins we need to change it ASAP.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
----------Sa--------
Semedo Kilman Dawson Toti
Lemina Gomes AitNouri
Sarabia Hwang Neto

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Gomes Lemina
Neto Sarabia RAN
Hwang
If we want to go with a back four, Toti has to play exclusively as a left back, for balance. I know this is similar to the hybrid we're already playing, I'd just keep RAN higher and keep Toti at left back rather than "somewhere between the two" as it usually is.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Gomes Lemina
Neto Sarabia RAN
Hwang
If we want to go with a back four, Toti has to play exclusively as a left back, for balance. I know this is similar to the hybrid we're already playing, I'd just keep RAN higher and keep Toti at left back rather than "somewhere between the two" as it usually is.
It could be worth a try. Doyle has to play though. It will be a physical game. Doyle over Sarabia ?!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful game use the enforcers, gomes lemina and or traore

Allow sarabia time to pick defences apart neto and hwang on the break

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3-5-2

Match them up avoid another Brentford
I’m with that, could finally be time to see Lemina, Gomes and Doyle together. Hwang and Neto effectively a front 2.
Sarabia has been great with the composure/creativity, but hopefully Doyle can provide that while being slightly more athletic.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need Doyle and Sarabia's deliveries to break teams down when they sit back.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the games coming up does GON rest Lemina and play Gomes and Doyle .

As we need to try this as Lemina is on 8/9 yellow cards isn't he ?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This could be a game where a longer range effort, deflection or keeper spilling it is the only way through a stubborn defence. Doyle has probably got the best shot, and best range of passing, need to move the ball quickly around the dreaded horseshoe of doom. Sarabia is great at playing just in between the full back and centre back.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doyle played in the away game and didn’t have a great game
The counter argument, I guess, is the fact he played in it will have given him the experience and know-how to play better this time. Think if he hadn’t had that game and was picked for this one he may be over confident of the impact he could have taking into account the Blades recent results.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
According to stats lemina 9 yellows , dawson/Nelson on 7, they have to get to 32games to avoid 2 game ban , gonna b tough gotta get through 7 more games !!

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've scanned a few of the Blades posts iro of their trip to Molineux, and they are so fatalistic in their belief that another PL hammering is coming their way, that one could just imagine them playing with a devil may care attitude and being dangerous!

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 40597View attachment 40598

That's fascinating to see, how strong a shape we've adopted, and how different the reality is to the way we're assumed to set up. Ait-Nouri holds such a high position, and it shows how crucial Toti is in covering that space. Also shows how disciplined Lemina and Joao are. I remember positional maps from the time of Neves, Dendoncker and Moutinho where everything was clustered and overloaded in deep centre, it's no wonder we achieved so little joy higher up the pitch.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've scanned a few of the Blades posts iro of their trip to Molineux, and they are so fatalistic in their belief that another PL hammering is coming their way, that one could just imagine them playing with a devil may care attitude and being dangerous!
I always have a look and see what the opposition fans are thinking.

This team selection made me laugh on the SU forum :D gallows humour at its finest.

Past

Caring
Losing
Will
To
Live

When
Will
It
End

McAtee

Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
There is a level where the worst insults come from your own fans.

Back
Top Bottom