Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team vs Sheff Utd Home

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok - lots of calls for same team….but that team is great on the break/transition. We’ll expect to have possession against the Blades and try to break down a team who wants to break against us. So how do we do that?

4 at back?
3 at back?
Doyle in midfield?
Fraser up top?

I think it will be the same to start with but RAN pushed on and Semedo up and down.

Sa
Semedo Kilman Dawson Gomes
Lemina Gomes
Neto Sarabia RAN
Hwang

Subs Bentley Bueno Bueno Doc Doyle Traore Lemina Bellegarde Fraser

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we need Doyle in for this game. Sound harsh but maybe drop Lemina?

If not same team again.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think same team and Hwang to rediscover his pre Asian cup form will see us with the points.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo Big Lemina Gomes Ait-Nouri
Sarabia
Hwang Neto

Bentley, Bueno, Bueno, Doherty, Doyle, Traore, Mini Lemina, Bellegarde, Fraser.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we need Doyle in for this game. Sound harsh but maybe drop Lemina?

If not same team again.
I was thinking exactly the same. However, Lemina is the enforcer that gives Gomes the freedom to roam box-to-box, but is that extra layer of protection needed when they'll sit back with a low block back five for 90 minutes? Not sure... I wouldn't want to drop Sarabia given he's potentially our best option to break them down. Mind you, Doyle starting away against them didn't seem to help...

Tough one. Mario will definitely want to start, but Doyle obviously offers us more in a playmaking sense.

Reaction score
Has to be the same starting XI for me but if things are not going well, hopefully, GON will not be slow to react and make changes.

If we are struggling to break them down, it may be a case of sacrificing one of the centre-backs and putting on someone like Doyle or, even, Fraser up top with Sarabia dropping in just behind.

It will certainly be a different sort of game to the one we watched today

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON will have learnt a lot from the Bees loss and hopefully won't allow Sheffield to stifle us as they did. GON said today that we have to do better v teams that come to Molineux and sit back. An early goal for us would help as they'd have to show some attacking ambition which will play into our hands. Tbh I don't care what team he puts out as long as they start on the front foot - we need these 3 points.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo Doyle Lemina Gomes RAN
Hwang Neto

I’d match them up try play with our wing backs attacking. Extra man in the middle for the physical battle preventing another Brentford type result

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whatever the line-up would hope we manage the game in a way that key players are still as fresh as possible for the cup match. Prehaps go same line up as Spurs but make full use of early subs whichever way the game goes. Say give Neto and Hwang just 60 mins.

Bahama Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don’t forget we have an important FA Cup game 3 days later. We have enough talent in the squad to beat Sheff U. I’d start Santi Bueno, Boubacar Traore and Doyle with Bellagarde in for Hwang. Have the first teamers from those positions on the bench for 2nd half if needed. If he has a great week training would include Noah Lemina in squad too. I have a feeling if we beat Brighton we can go all the way to Wembley. Id even sacrifice a loss to Sheff U if it meant we get to the qtr finals.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tough one with the Fa cup few days later...unsure I'd make changes.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to come to terms with these type of games.

We CAN’T do as we have done in our last two home games, starting so slowly, giving the opposition the ball, and allowing them to build up their confidence.

We have to start on the front foot and play at the pace we’re capable of. There’s a reason we’re on 35 points and they’re on 13 !!

Let’s show why that is !!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We have to come to terms with these type of games.

We CAN’T do as we have done in our last two home games, starting so slowly, giving the opposition the ball, and allowing them to build up their confidence.

We have to start on the front foot and play at the pace we’re capable of. There’s a reason we’re on 35 points and they’re on 13 !!

Let’s show why that is !!
Yep, if we start well and score the first goal they can’t really sit back and defend, they have to try and play, which opens the space up. I think Gary was right last week after the game, you go 1-0 down in this kinda game it’s really damaging.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very hard to argue for changes. Same team for me. Hopefully we can crack the code for these type of games and not let Sheffield United do a Huddersfield on us.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea. Following on from the brentford game at home I’d be tempted to put Doyle in to the midfield to get on the ball but that also means dropping somebody who doesn’t deserve dropping.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea. Following on from the brentford game at home I’d be tempted to put Doyle in to the midfield to get on the ball but that also means dropping somebody who doesn’t deserve dropping.
It's not about 'dropping' anybody, its about giving the likes of Lemina or Neto a rest and rotating them back in for the next match.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After another great performance yesterday, where Wolves could have beaten Spurs easily by 5 goals difference, I ask GON to demand consistency from our team. It is very good we beat top teams, but it is of utmost importance that Wolves beat teams around and below them in the table. I really hate to lose against such teams, I do not bother that much if Wolves lose against Liverpool, Arsenal, City, and perhaps United, but losing against Brentford was very disappointing.

GON needs to press our players to start playing with intensity as they did yesterday so that we shall not give teams coming to Molineux to move ahead and then park their coaches in their penalty area and play very roughly.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not about 'dropping' anybody, its about giving the likes of Lemina or Neto a rest and rotating them back in for the next match.
Agree. Id be tempted to go:

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo/Doc Doyle Lemina Gomes RAN
Hwang Neto/Sarabia

The wing backs should be able to provide the width without too much coming back the other way so another man in midfield could mean we look like a 334 at stages.

We need to try something different else because breaking teams down in these games is a real Achilles heel.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd stick with the same team, but encourage Toti and Kilman to step into midfield (or Toti go out wide and Ait-Nouri into midfield).

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary has a big decision to make. I’m not sure a midfield of Lemina and Gomes is enough to break down teams who sit behind the ball.

It will be the polar opposite to the Spurs game, and IMO we need Doyle’s passing ability

Harsh to drop Lemina or Gomes but it’s a squad game. I suspect he’ll keep the same 11 and bring on Doyle at HT if we’re struggling.

An early goal would open the game up massively

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d definitely understand it if Doyle starts.
However I also fully understand the argument for an unchanged team.
Perhaps set up in more of a 442 though?

Sa
Semado Killman Dawson Toti
Neto Lemina Gomes RAN
Sarabia Hwang

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don’t forget we have an important FA Cup game 3 days later. We have enough talent in the squad to beat Sheff U. I’d start Santi Bueno, Boubacar Traore and Doyle with Bellagarde in for Hwang. Have the first teamers from those positions on the bench for 2nd half if needed. If he has a great week training would include Noah Lemina in squad too. I have a feeling if we beat Brighton we can go all the way to Wembley. Id even sacrifice a loss to Sheff U if it meant we get to the qtr finals.
I'm with you on this. I'd start all those you suggest and try and give the Blades problems they haven't anticipated. So, (e.g.) Doyle and Boubacar in midfield, Bellegarde in one of the wide positions. Just think of the damage Neto could do to a tired defence coming on after, say, 55 minutes.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we will or should change from our back 3 system.

However IF we did I think I’d be tempted to play Toti Gomes as one of the two centre backs. He’s in good form and a lack of pace at the back has often been our downfall with a back 4.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
For this game it's a strange one. Against teams like Sheffiels United who you expect to sit in and defend we are poor. Changing to a back four always seems to be expressed but when we do this we always seem to concede stupid goals. For me, I would stick with the back 5 as it converts to a back 4 with Nouri and Toti anyway.

The main choice for me is further forward. Do we go 3 in the middle and 2 up top or our normal 2-3.

Who do you drop if we do. This type of game is set for players like Doyle and Sarabia. Do we need both?

I personally would go:

Semdo Toti Dawson Kilman Nouri
Gomes Doyle Lemina
Hwang Neto

Harsh on Sarabia. Can come on alter to try different approach if needed. This need Gomes and Lemina to continue breaking the lines.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON will have learnt a lot from the Bees loss and hopefully won't allow Sheffield to stifle us as they did. GON said today that we have to do better v teams that come to Molineux and sit back. An early goal for us would help as they'd have to show some attacking ambition which will play into our hands. Tbh I don't care what team he puts out as long as they start on the front foot - we need these 3 points.
He did say in most match presser he wants the boys to understand how to win and play with the ball at home. He will have learnt a lot and want to right wrongs

Su going to be playing off the back of a hammering from Brighton looks like

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For this game it's a strange one. Against teams like Sheffiels United who you expect to sit in and defend we are poor. Changing to a back four always seems to be expressed but when we do this we always seem to concede stupid goals. For me, I would stick with the back 5 as it converts to a back 4 with Nouri and Toti anyway.

The main choice for me is further forward. Do we go 3 in the middle and 2 up top or our normal 2-3.

Who do you drop if we do. This type of game is set for players like Doyle and Sarabia. Do we need both?

I personally would go:

Semdo Toti Dawson Kilman Nouri
Gomes Doyle Lemina
Hwang Neto

Harsh on Sarabia. Can come on alter to try different approach if needed. This need Gomes and Lemina to continue breaking the lines.
Sarabia can't be dropped another assist and makes most chances per game

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Sarabia can't be dropped another assist and makes most chances per game
Very true. That's why it's hard to make the choice who is, if we change tactic. I am a massive Sarabia fan. Would not drop him if I did not think would be of benefit to the overall team. Luckily, I am not the one charged with the decision IRL

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Start the same team as v Chelsea, get the game won, make multiple changes just after half time.......this football mullarkey is a piece of p***

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Risky to make changes I suppose but Sheff Utd - whether they beat us or not earlier in the season - are atrocious.

I know European places are close in theory but for me our season almost completely hinges on the FA Cup a few days later.

I would leave Neto and Hwang on the bench and use them with half hour to go if we're having a mare. Maybe rotate one of Lemina or Gomes as inevitably both will be asked to start vs Brighton.

If we've played well and the job is done I'd get Semedo, Ait-Nouri and Lemina off ASAP.

Sa

Semedo
Kilman
Dawson
Toti
Ait-Nouri

Lemina
Doyle

Sarabia
Fraser
Bellegarde

I'm aware how unlikely that is.