Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Taking kid for first game

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Starting to think about taking my lad to his first game. He’s 4 and half at the moment and goes to footie twice a week. One of the coaches gave the kids homework to watch a match this weekend. I got him to watch the England match from other day seeing as there was a few goals and seemed interested albeit cut down. I might try with some of our matches but it’s not really the same as being there.

Is there any hope for my lad and I and maybe my dad to get tickets at some point in the remainder of the season? I don’t have a season ticket and usually pick a handful of games a season before it kicked off. I haven’t even tried this year as paying off debts - fun times!

I’d love to get a season ticket with him in the future when he’s 7. Just got to hope there’s options around then with stadium plans.

Happy to hear from others who have been through it.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Besiktas may well make general sale but it’s an 8pm evening kick off.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad and dad experience has been frustrating... I have taken my lad to about six games and he has never seen us win!. We went to the infamous O'Hara sending off match, a pre season draw against Shrewsbury, and..... I think I have managed to blank the others from memory. What I will say is that taking a four and a half year old means you will see little of the match, and unless he is ultra keen, he will be bored at times ( and let you know about it...), and at this time of year, cold. I personally would leave it a couple of years myself...

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope for a home tie in fa cup?

NOKASPLACE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have the same issue mate, my lad is 5.... hoping we draw a rubbish team in fa cup at home so i can get a 3pm kick off at general sale..... otherwise its the pre season friendly

Ebbo

Reaction score
I first took my lad when he was 4, along with my dad, who first took me when I was 6. So a 3 generation first game was a big thing for me and for Dad. Wolves 0 v Southampton 6... what an amazing game! Got his first STH at 7. He's 17 now and an ASTH too (never sells it on by the way) and enjoying the match together has been priceless. So many incredible shared experiences. We're off to Braga... Wolves away in Europe with my lad... something I could only ever dream off before.

Last edited:

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took my daughter to her first game at pretty much the same age. It was magical for me. She went to one of the home Europa games recently as her 3rd match with her 2nd being one of the pre season games.

Think Europa, cup and preseason games are your best bet at the minute. Don’t think young wolves guarantees a ticket anymore.

Make sure you go to Wolfie’s den before the game, go in the club shop and get some Wolves sweets, walk through the subway etc. Get the full experience!

The Weasel

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I'd give it a couple of years. At four and a half he'll be cold and bored and asking you how long til the end after about 20 minutes. I took two of mine from 7 and for the most part they are well into it and that means you too can enjoy the game. Good luck either way, its a special experience.

Hazza

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to go with all 3 of my lads now, aged 18,16 and 9. The 18 year old is at Wolverhampton Uni mainly so he can go to games.

they all went to their first game at different times, we’ve had season tickets now for 3 years and they never say they don’t want to go. The youngest first match was Rotherham at home 6-4 in the sun so I think that hooked him in!

Id definitely wait till it’s a bit warmer and go prepared with drinks food and sweets and make a day of it, not just the match the whole build up, Pre match meal, fanpatk, shop etc

scotterwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Starting to think about taking my lad to his first game. He’s 4 and half at the moment and goes to footie twice a week. One of the coaches gave the kids homework to watch a match this weekend. I got him to watch the England match from other day seeing as there was a few goals and seemed interested albeit cut down. I might try with some of our matches but it’s not really the same as being there.

Is there any hope for my lad and I and maybe my dad to get tickets at some point in the remainder of the season? I don’t have a season ticket and usually pick a handful of games a season before it kicked off. I haven’t even tried this year as paying off debts - fun times!

I’d love to get a season ticket with him in the future when he’s 7. Just got to hope there’s options around then with stadium plans.

Remember taking my lad when he was 4 and a memory that will last forever. My son has never lived in the West Mids but proud to say he is still a wolf 22 years later and still goes regularly. I am heading to Spain to end of January so I am quite happy to assist getting you tickets for a game on my membership numbers in that time but would be 2 adult tickets (same offer to @NOKASPLACE or any other Mol Mixers). If interested send me a message and I will assist if I can as taking your child to their first game is a magic moment. Hopefully I will be taking my grandchildren soon.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad was about 6 or 7 when I started taking him. We started with the FA Cup 3rd round game (hoping we were at home) and it grew from there. Back then (as it is now occasionally) the ticket prices were cheaper and plenty available. Only snag with his age (4 and a half) is I think that's quite young - especially this time of year when it's freezing. He could get bored, cold, tired, moody easily (so take an iPad/DS etc), and they will ALWAYS need the toilet during the game, ha.

Pre-season friendlies at home are good too - warmer weather etc, cheap tickets...

Sutton

Reaction score

Ark - DM me.

You can have my 4 season tickets (1 adult, 2 x u12, 1 x u17) for the Sheff Utd home game on Dec 1st. We are going to Braga and will not be back in time for this. No charge. Just need to make sure I can get them back for home game after. Second row of south bank so “fairly” kid friendly if you are ok with the language!!!

Enjoy. Nothing better than taking your kids to a game...would rather you have them for this than me sell them half price back to the club. Just get me a beer at some stage...

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not just Dads and lads... my Dad started taking me when I was seven years old. Great times for the two of us as well.

Was going to say its daughters too, my mate has a lad who isnt interested but his daughter is football mad. He's been taking her to games for a few years and now in early teens she is Wolves through and through.

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

He is a lucky boy he will never know the pain and hurt that we have all gone through, he is going to love it !! special time for you.

S

ShropshireLad

My lad and dad experience has been frustrating... I have taken my lad to about six games and he has never seen us win!. We went to the infamous O'Hara sending off match, a pre season draw against Shrewsbury, and..... I think I have managed to blank the others from memory. What I will say is that taking a four and a half year old means you will see little of the match, and unless he is ultra keen, he will be bored at times ( and let you know about it...), and at this time of year, cold. I personally would leave it a couple of years myself...
Wise advice to the young @Ark from an "old" head. :cool:

S

ShropshireLad

Just remind him, what happens at the match, stays at the match.
Lol, Pagey! :D No chance with a 4 year old. Both of my girls have landed me in deep **** at times. The worst was when my eldest at around 4/5 told my mother on a visit, "Daddy doesn't like you!" :oops: Another time she shouted in a loud voice and giggling to all and sundry at Sainsbury's, "Daddy's just farted!" I can laugh now but at the time...:eek:

D

Deleted member 4436

Ark - DM me.

You can have my 4 season tickets (1 adult, 2 x u12, 1 x u17) for the Sheff Utd home game on Dec 1st. We are going to Braga and will not be back in time for this. No charge. Just need to make sure I can get them back for home game after. Second row of south bank so “fairly” kid friendly if you are ok with the language!!!

Enjoy. Nothing better than taking your kids to a game...would rather you have them for this than me sell them half price back to the club. Just get me a beer at some stage...

****ing love this!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have had many fond memories going with my dad and as my lad grew, going with him. Best of all has been the times the three of us have been together. That’s how fans for life for a future Chorley are formed. :)

S

ShropshireLad

It’s proper frustrating when they are so young and being very impatient. Shouldn’t be wishing their time away I guess.
They grow up so quickly, mate. I long to re-experience the days when they were that age again; it was perhaps the very best time of my life with them. Enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Took my daughter when she was 3 to the pre season friendly with the Spanish team last season. She loved it, mainly Wolfie and Wendy.. lasted up until half time when we went home. No problems as it was only a friendly and warm weather.

She is 4 now and tells everyone who cares to listen "I'm a Wolf"..

Will wait a season or two before taking her again, but she has the bug and wears her wolves top with pride..

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
I love now taking my lad to the games. It is hard now though as I have 5 year old twins (a boy and a girl) who now also want to go but no chance of tickets. Now living in Carlisle, getting down is hard so it will be preseason friendlies and/or FA cup in future... need to get that new stadium built! :D

It may be complicated but reckon supporters living over a 100 miles from the stadium could get the chance to go to Cat B games once a season. It's a lot more difficult to get to games from this distance (particularly with young children) than it would be living around the corner (e.g. the general sale of the home Europa league matches). Just a thought and I may need my tin hat!

Absolutely love sharing my passion for wolves with the new generation and our recent success has ensured his head hasn't got turned by all his glory supporting mates!

D

Deleted member 7206

I got my lad his first season ticket when he was 3. As soon as we signed neves I knew we were in for good times and I'd struggle to get him a season ticket the following season. He still drifts in and out of watching the football now but loves the whole day, the pyro, the singing, wolfie etc. I just wrap him up in 16 layers in the winter. He looks like the Michelin man!

D

Deleted member 7206

Remember taking my lad when he was 4 and a memory that will last forever. My son has never lived in the West Mids but proud to say he is still a wolf 22 years later and still goes regularly. I am heading to Spain to end of January so I am quite happy to assist getting you tickets for a game on my membership numbers in that time but would be 2 adult tickets (same offer to @NOKASPLACE or any other Mol Mixers). If interested send me a message and I will assist if I can as taking your child to their first game is a magic moment. Hopefully I will be taking my grandchildren soon.
Same, I work a lot at weekend and occasionally have to miss games so I'll offer dad and lad tickets on here when I cant attend

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took my lad when he was 5 and I really regret it to be honest. He is 23 in the summer and never really wanted to come to the game. He has probably been half a dozen times that's all.

It breaks my heart a bit really. As all my mates have stopped going over the years I wanted my lad to be interested. But he is not, so I go by myself.

I think the mistake I made was taking him too young. He was a nervous kid and did not like the noise of the height of the stands. I only learned in recent years that he was frightened as a little kid and hated going. I just think that early fear put him off for life.

So my advice is be really sure your lad is ready. I took him at 5 and really think if I had left it until he was 8 or 9 I might have a match day partner. But sadly not :(

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took my lad when he was 5 and I really regret it to be honest. He is 23 in the summer and never really wanted to come to the game. He has probably been half a dozen times that's all.

It breaks my heart a bit really. As all my mates have stopped going over the years I wanted my lad to be interested. But he is not, so I go by myself.

I think the mistake I made was taking him too young. He was a nervous kid and did not like the noise of the height of the stands. I only learned in recent years that he was frightened as a little kid and hated going. I just think that early fear put him off for life.

So my advice is be really sure your lad is ready. I took him at 5 and really think if I had left it until he was 8 or 9 I might have a match day partner. But sadly not :(
Sorry to hear that Cannock. This is why i left taking my lad until he was 6 or 7, and he wanted to go. My brother's lad is 10 years old, big football fan, loves playing it, likes Wolves (but not obsessed) - but my brother knows he wouldn't enjoy watching a game for 90 minutes. He has taken him once (Chelsea cup game a few seasons back), and he didn't enjoy it. Bored, cold, tired... He will wait until his lad asks him to go again.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Honestly think 9 years-old is about the right age as before that they definately don't understand the game and can be overwhelmed by the experience.

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took my eldest lad as a treat on his sixth birthday in 2002, Gillingham at home. It may have been a bit too young and I can relate to the toilet trips and the cold. I took him next when we had won promotion and had the March round town and presentation at the ground. We got in but had to leave due to him being scared of the noise when the team came out. He became a regular in 09/10 with me taking him and his cousin and he has been a season ticket holder since and is coming to Braga with me , a proud moment as others have said.but what happens in Braga stays in Braga !

D

Deleted member 7206

Honestly think 9 years-old is about the right age as before that they definately don't understand the game and can be overwhelmed by the experience.
It depends on the child. My lad is just coming up to 6, he plays 3 x a week can name all the wolves players off the top of his head and his first question to me when I have him is when are we going up the wolves again. There is no right age.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It depends on the child. My lad is just coming up to 6, he plays 3 x a week can name all the wolves players off the top of his head and his first question to me when I have him is when are we going up the wolves again. There is no right age.

Next time you see him ask him if Declan Rice is good enough for England? :p

Back
Top Bottom