Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tak sport and link between no pre season and poor start

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just been on talk sport about poor starts to season of bayern, chelsea, wolves, man city, man utd in terms of fitness levels, results and performances with some seripusly unexpected results. Even fulham brought into this with extended season via play offs. It could be coincidence or perhaps the week and a half of the squad being together pre season, with half of those away on international duty up until a few days of season starting has contributed to the poor start. We now have a number of weeks with 1 game a week for the forseeable so will give a chance for the players to actually get match fit and recover from the significantly extended season last year. Dont forget we started our season weeks earlier than others and had no real pre season last year either other than using the european games as our 'friendlies'.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree this is an issue we have had to deal with .

we would not be practicing this change In approach in the season initially and would have got some of these bad performances out the way in pre season.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's no real excuse. All teams have had new additions and no pre-season. We lost to WHU because on the day they were better than us.

All teams have not had no preseason at all. West Ham for instance finished on 26 July, had 3 weeks off then 4 weeks preseason (internationals would have had 2 1/2 weeks pre-season with their club then internationals).

We finished on 11 August, had 3 weeks off then our internationals had no preseason with the club and returned the Thursday before our first game. All teams who went to Germany would be in a similar or worse position than us, Chelsea nearly as bad as they only finished a week earlier.

Surely its no coincidence that Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and us have all looked off the pace for the most part this season with just periods of playing well.

I'm not suggesting it's solely down to the lack of preseason, and there are other problems too. But to disregard it as just an excuse and say everyone is in the same position is wrong in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 11157

All teams have not had no preseason at all. West Ham for instance finished on 26 July, had 3 weeks off then 4 weeks preseason (internationals would have had 2 1/2 weeks pre-season with their club then internationals).

We finished on 11 August, had 3 weeks off then our internationals had no preseason with the club and returned the Thursday before our first game. All teams who went to Germany would be in a similar or worse position than us, Chelsea nearly as bad as they only finished a week earlier.

Surely its no coincidence that Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and us have all looked off the pace for the most part this season with just periods of playing well.

I'm not suggesting it's solely down to the lack of preseason, and there are other problems too. But to disregard it as just an excuse and say everyone is in the same position is wrong in my opinion.

I would agree if it had not been for all players spending three months on lockdown earlier in the year.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely, other teams were playing friendlies before our squad members not on international duty returned. Then those players then returned only days before the first game leaving no time for a friendly and barely any time for the whole squad to train together.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would agree if it had not been for all players spending three months on lockdown earlier in the year.
I'm not saying they haven't had time off this year, but again all clubs had that time off so we're still worse off in that respect.

Preseason is extremely important to build up to the start of the season with squad games and friendlies of 45 mins, then 60 mins then a couple of 90 min games to build match fitness and get things well drilled. We had pretty much none of that because of the short turn around and then ridiculous timing of the international games.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bayern won their opening game 8-0 and then beat Sevilla to win the Super Cup. They lost their first match in 10 months at the weekend (already knowing that their only competition for the title had lost the day before) and suddenly they've had a poor start?

Most of the performances of the teams named here are just extensions of their performances last season.

Chelsea and United are poorly coached teams who rarely play wholly convincing football and who rely on the high quality of some individual players to pull off victories. This is why they are nowhere near competing for the league title or the latter stages of the Champions League. United actually lost at home to Palace last season, despite having all the pre-season preparation.

City's loss to Leicester was just their classic Achilles heel of being unable to cope with counter attacks. We took 6 points off them last season with it, and Leicester have the perfect player in Vardy to damage them. It is no surprise that he constantly scores against them. I think they would have had big problems in this game whenever it was played with their defence against the counter.

Wolves have been generally playing mediocre football since the double header of City and Liverpool over Christmas. There have only been a handful of convincing sustained 90 minute displays in the 9 months since.

Last edited:

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont totally buy into this, maybe the lack of rest has an affect, but it isn't as if the players have never played or trained together before, with the exception of the new arrivals of course.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bayern won their opening game 8-0 and then beat Sevilla to win the Super Cup. They lost their first match in 10 months at the weekend (already knowing that their only competition for the title had lost the day before) and suddenly they've had a poor start?
Not sure using shalke as a yardstick for performance as they are in a terrible situation at the moment, and bayern struggled past sevilla. I was more trying to make the point that there has been significant inconstency for those teams that had an extended season last season and little minimal pre season

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's Sheffield Utd's excuse, then? Why did Bayern win their first match 8-0?

I really think this is that human bias thing of seeing patterns that aren't there. (like how we unconsciously insert letters into words where they are missing :))

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's Sheffield Utd's excuse, then? Why did Bayern win their first match 8-0?

I really think this is that human bias thing of seeing patterns that aren't there. (like how we unconsciously insert letters into words where they are missing :))

Sheffield United have lost all 3 games and not scored a single goal. They were on top for the 2nd half versus us

Back
Top Bottom