Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tackling a couple of modding points that have cropped up in recent days.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
From @bod101 and myself.

We want to make it clear that use or inclusion of nationality in a derogatory or insulting way is not okay, and is not something we want to see here. This isn't open to argument or a splitting hairs discussion. If seen - and we realise we can't see everything - it will be moderated.

Treatment of fellow posters.
Anything you post here is open to agreement, disagreement, challenge, and you post on that understanding. If you constantly receive a negative reaction it may be reasonable to think you should take a look at your posting - possibly more how you put yourself across than your actual views. Both positive and negative opinions play their part in discussions and have a place on the forum.
We don't want to see anyone being targeted or picked on, and be mindful this can cross the line into bullying, even if perhaps unwittingly, when a number of people join in agreement, or 'for a laugh'.
Feuds will end up with you moderated, as will repeatedly looking to provoke or attack a fellow MolMix member, which we also see happening.
We know that summer can be silly season, but just accept that you all have the same right to enjoy the forum please folks. Thanks.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
We want to make it clear that use or inclusion of nationality in a derogatory or insulting way is not okay, and is not something we want to see here. This isn't open to argument or a splitting hairs discussion. If seen - and we realise we can't see everything - it will be moderated.
This would apply to Irish/Welsh jokes I presume

Kennedy

Reaction score
The revolution is devouring its own children..

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
I’m from England, if I get called an English ****, what term is derogatory? One of them is fact, the other is an insult. Please can you clear this up for me. Can we still call Gomes, and Cunha our Brazilian stars or not.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I’m from England, if I get called an English ****, what term is derogatory? One of them is fact, the other is an insult. Please can you clear this up for me. Can we still call Gomes, and Cunha our Brazilian stars or not.
Is Brazilian stars derogatory? The post is clear enough.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Here you go, see if this helps

Crime and Disorder Act 1998 (as amended)
This Act created a number of specific offences of racially aggravated crime, based on offences of wounding, assault, damage, harassment and threatening/abusive behaviour. The Act defines "racial group" as a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins.

An amendment (December 2001) extended the scope of the Act by creating new specific religiously aggravated offences. The Act defines "religious group" as a group of persons defined by reference to religious belief or lack of religious belief.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s really not hard to understand

Longford Wolf

Reaction score

This Act created a number of specific offences of racially aggravated crime, based on offences of wounding, assault, damage, harassment and threatening/abusive behaviour. The Act defines "racial group" as a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins.

An amendment (December 2001) extended the scope of the Act by creating new specific religiously aggravated offences. The Act defines "religious group" as a group of persons defined by reference to religious belief or lack of religious belief.
Thanks for that, I’m not being a nugget for the sake of it, but where does it state that calling someone English or Welsh is against the law.
Again I’m not trying to stir things, just confused

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I’m not being a nugget for the sake of it, but where does it state that calling someone English or Welsh is against the law.
Again I’m not trying to stir things, just confused
Well it doesn't because it isn't. What is says is that it depends on context.

If you call someone a ****ing b******d in a threatening way it's a crime.

Call them a ****ing Welsh b******d and you've just potentially aggravated that crime.

The nationality become part of the insult and therefore assumed to be used as an insult. In the case on here that kicked it off it was 'Welsh Joker', which could of course be Max Boyce and not an issue, but as the post ended with "thinks he’s funny but really he’s just an annoying git" maybe not (although let's not get into an argument over the merits of Mr Boyce's humour!)

Last edited:

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it doesn't because it isn't. What is says is that it depends on context.

If you call someone a ****ing b******d in a threatening way it's a crime.

Call them a ****ing Welsh b******d and you've just potentially aggravated that crime.

The nationality become part of the insult and therefore assumed to be used as an insult. In the case on here that kicked it off it was 'Welsh Joker', which could of course be Max Bygraves and not an issue, but as the post ended with "thinks he’s funny but really he’s just an annoying git" maybe not (although let's not get into an argument over the merits of Mr Bygraves humour!)
Do you mean Max Boyce? o_O

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Yeah, you just can't call any of them a Brazilian donkey - if I understand this ruling correctly

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
If you could all stop using terms like "Jocks" or "Sweaties" as well, that would be great. I find them slightly offensive, hugely unfunny and incredibly cringeworthy. Embarrassing stuff in all honesty.

Scottish ***** is fine with me though; not to mention surprisingly accurate! :grinning:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you could all stop using terms like "Jocks" or "Sweaties" as well, that would be great. I find them slightly offensive, hugely unfunny and incredibly cringeworthy. Embarrassing stuff in all honesty.

Scottish ***** is fine with me though; not to mention surprisingly accurate! :grinning:
speak for yourself!!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Basically, the Cornish are fair game. Until they gain independence obviously, then they're not!

This actually poses more questions than answers. The Welsh are not a nationality any more than the English are. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are constituent regions of the same nation.

If I can call someone from Wolverhampton a yam yam, I can call a Welshman a taffy, or a Scot a Jock or a sweaty!

Can't I?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we still call people from the Anfield vicinity scouse ****s, asking for a friend?

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see any deregatory comments about somebodies nationality. The worst i've seen is the Welsh joker comment. Wouldnt say its derogatory.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crikey; I'm off to the Transfers thread with the vain hope there's some news.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Yeah, you just can't call any of them a Brazilian donkey - if I understand this ruling correctly
That term could also be used to describe someone as a very well shaved @ss

Which in turn also demonstrates the very rich complexity of the use of language and why context, intent, nuance is also so important.

Back
Top Bottom