Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Surrounding the ref again

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeez, how bad was it last night in the England game? Questioning every single decision (both teams). Something has to change now cause I'm rapidly getting hacked off with it.

Oh and Harry Kane, crawling onto the pitch when he got injured off it, embarrassing

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeez, how bad was it last night in the England game? Questioning every single decision (both teams). Something has to change now cause I'm rapidly getting hacked off with it.

Oh and Harry Kane, crawling onto the pitch when he got injured off it, embarrassing
Injured is pushing it a bit!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A game clock is the only solution. 30 or 35 minute halves, stopping the clock out of play.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was pathetic. Ball to the midriff, then crawling on his hands and knees for a good eight-to-ten seconds back onto the pitch like a puppy gimp. Not only was it classless and cringeworthy, it set the tone - as captain - for the entire second half, where it basically said "we're going to waste time instead of believing we can dominate and get more goals". Deflates England, pumps up Italy, and for no reason.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made me laugh when that clown Dublin was praising Kane last night for being so clever. Really?! The bloke is almost untouchable because it is good ole Arry. I am convinced if Dublin had been co commentating on one of our games and say Costa was doing what Kane did last night he wouldn't be so complimentary. One rule for some and one rule for others springs to mind!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made me laugh when that clown Dublin was praising Kane last night for being so clever. Really?! The bloke is almost untouchable because it is good ole Arry. I am convinced if Dublin had been co commentating on one of our games and say Costa was doing what Kane did last night he wouldn't be so complimentary. One rule for some and one rule for others springs to mind!

Yep. Stuff like this should be a red card . Pure cheating

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i actually disagree. he had to crawl back on so he could stop the game being played without him.

i also thought one thing we did well was to match the italians at their own game

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again i disagree. we played the italians at their own game.

NorthWestWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Spot on, with certain teams/players is intelligent play or game management. Others it's called cheating and time wasting.

It's far too easy to influence the game or referee with these antics. Leeds and Bournemouth at our place showed that, as soon as we got it back to 3-2 it was stop start every 30 seconds.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Kane feels any contact, he goes down. Even if the contact is on his calf, he'll clutch his knee.

How the officials aren't alive to this I don't know... Contact often instigated by him, fall over, clutch knee. Textbook.
I thought the same with Grealish. It's as if he has totally given up on trying to beat a man now and sees his role as to just try and win a free kick whenever he's in close contact. It's why he'll never nail down a starting place and it's a waste of an obviously talented, if objectionable, player.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but he was clearly winded, plus doing that bought us some time to regroup and take the pressure off.
If modern man is floored by a floated football, and has to crawl around on his hands and knees like a beast, then Heaven help our species.
No, he wasn't winded- it was a pitiable display of gamesmanship intended to kill time.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
and it worked.. i don’t like it, but that’s the game now.
If modern man is floored by a floated football, and has to crawl around on his hands and knees like a beast, then Heaven help our species.
No, he wasn't winded- it was a pitiable display of gamesmanship intended to kill time.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
i remember years ago adrian durham,and yes i know he has to be controversial but he said if you were carrying your child in your arms would you go over with some of the challenges that we see today.i know for instance you would have to have hit Bully with a bar stool to have a decent chance of stopping him!!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Kane should have been booked for that. And I agree with other posters about booking players who surround the referee.

It’s creeping back to the sinister bullying of referees Man Utd used to do, angry packs of players chasing down the referees. Captains can approach the referee and a player can ask about a decision but the authorities are allowing the bullying and intimidation to continue unabated.

Referees should stand their ground when charged at by players. The players either stop in their tracks or bundle the ref over. The latter is a red card.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just make a rule that only the captains are allowed to approach the ref properly. Would actually mean that the captain’s role is more important than it is currently too.

Any time another player runs towards the ref to protest the ball gets moved 10 yards forward.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i actually disagree. he had to crawl back on so he could stop the game being played without him.

i also thought one thing we did well was to match the italians at their own game

As much as I hate time-wasting, I would agree your point if it were later in the game. The thing is, it was what, 10 minutes after half-time? We were dominant first half, deservedly 2-0 up, not by luck. And although Italy had come out with greater tempo we weren't completely overrun, in fact the Kane incident occurred after our own attack.

The message it sent out to both sides, and the crowd, was that we were stepping back instead of wanting to push the boot down on the throat. It spread through everyone.

I understand why Kane did it, but I also think it set the tone for the following defensive minded half an hour or more, and it's just the wrong mentality.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again i disagree. we played the italians at their own game.

Indeed, England are relatively late to the party when it comes to time wasting and gamesmanship compared to many of their international opponents.
If you can't beat them join them......... still a blight on the game though and something I detest no matter who's doing it and I include Wolves in that.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time wasting is now prevalent in football and I don’t like it at all. An injured player who somehow has enough life left in him to crawl back onto the pitch must be the most pathetic of actions.

The authorities must get tough on time wasting, but they will of course do nothing about it. The game I knew is long gone.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but he was clearly winded, plus doing that bought us some time to regroup and take the pressure off.
Doing the wrong thing was the right thing to do.

I hate time wasting. It's a form of cheating. If Italy were winning they'd have done the same which makes it strangely satisfying...

Having said that, an in-play game clock, would render this form of cheating useless. STOP THE CLOCK!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imo, it's only a matter of time, before a rugby-style stopping of the clock when the ball is dead, becomes common place. And a good job, too. Time-wasting is robbing the paying public of what they deserve which is a 90 minute contest between two sides.
Atm, refs have power to deal with this using cards, but are too weak to use those powers, therefore just stop the clock!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I hate time-wasting, I would agree your point if it were later in the game. The thing is, it was what, 10 minutes after half-time? We were dominant first half, deservedly 2-0 up, not by luck. And although Italy had come out with greater tempo we weren't completely overrun, in fact the Kane incident occurred after our own attack.

It's not really relevant when in the game you waste time though, logically.

If you're winning, you'd rather the match be as short as possible, so it makes sense to take as much time out of the game as you can.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were wasting time from about half hour in i think
Maguire is the worst culprit and got Rice booked by delaying a free kick literally minutes after being told to stop it

I understand why Kane did what he did as hes important at defending corners, but the slow motion manner he did it was a farce

I think we had 3 maybe 4 players booked for time wasting and eventually got one sent off

It totally stopped us attacking at any pace, and allowed Italy to come back into a game that we should have buried by HT
All Italy did was up the tempo and we couldnt cope,mainly because of the defensive time wasting mind set we got into

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
and it worked.. i don’t like it, but that’s the game now.

It's absurd, given the incessant rule changes every season for years now, but the things that really spoil the game? Nah, can't do anything about that.

I think the rule makers are so obsessed with miniscule details, they have lost the plot on the high level of what football is actually about. Every season, it seems, adding new subsections to subsections on the handball rule. The offside rule changes have also not improved the game.

The effect of all this tinkering? Fewer goals in open play as most goals are put through the microscope looking for cellular level offsides and the hint of any contact in the build up. Yet far more penalties because the rule makers can't cope with diving. The game is moving towards Penaltyball, where the winners are those players who can master the most convincing dives win out. Though the effectiveness of most dives seems down to who is doing the diving, rather than even a pretence of objectivity.

Nor bad sportsmanship in general, it seems, is treated objectively. Funny how they are trying to be objective everywhere else (and failing, because it's a lost cause), yet on surrounding the ref, it's pot luck how it gets dealt with. Time keeping linked in with this. Doesn't require complicated tech or reams of subclauses in the rules. Just stopwatch the match and play 90 minutes actual football. And none of this whinging about "the modern game is so fast, the poor mites can't manage 90 minutes". They now have 5 substitutes!!!! Half the team need only play half the match. All injuries to be dealt with off the pitch. Allowing treatment on pitch is an invitation to time waste.

If they had any sense, they'd go back to the rules as they were about 15 years ago, and start again from there. Players and managers have to take a lot of the blame. Most of it, actually. If it was made clear that unless they stopped this play acting, then the 90 minute stop watch with time stopped for *every* out of play incident will be brought in next season, maybe they would think twice about instructing their players to cheat? If video evidence was used to bring in 5 match bans for players diving for penalties, it would soon be gone and the refs job a lot easier.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just make a rule that only the captains are allowed to approach the ref properly. Would actually mean that the captain’s role is more important than it is currently too.

Any time another player runs towards the ref to protest the ball gets moved 10 yards forward.
I tell my players that only the captain can question the Ref or ask him a direct question.
I inform the ref of this before game, and we carry out to the letter, you'll find it surprising how many refs give unconscious decision in our favour after the opposition kick off all the time.
Last week they sin binned a player for 10 minute and we scored 2 goals.
Bring Sin bins in for the Pro game - that will shut them up.

Back
Top Bottom