Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Superbowl

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK - did anyone stay awake and watch it?

And, please, someone tell me - WTF did Christina Aguilera do to that National Anthem? Maybe I am showing my age, but I think, despite being 41 and for someone who is into any sort of music - that was someone strangling a ******* cat
If I was American, I would be offended that she is allowed to do that to a national anthem

B

Battleship

And, please, someone tell me - WTF did Christina Aguilera do to that National Anthem?
On a single hearing, I don't agree with all of the musical choices she made - but it sounds to me as though she sang it with some passion - and if I was American, I would have been pleased overall.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk-ysVsT3sA"]YouTube - Christina Aguilera Sings National Anthem at Super Bowl XLV[/nomedia]

If you listen carefully to some records up to the mid 1960s, you can hear the singer taking breaths. In that performance, Christina did not try to conceal the fact that singers, particularly when delivering power, have to breathe.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Battleship

OK - did anyone stay awake and watch it?
No. IMO, Rugby-style games are for people who are not good enough for football. The gentlemen-thugs quip is a red-herring to distract people from this basic truth! :D

Dezzieg-wolves

Reaction score
I tried to watch it, but didn't even last the 1st quarter. What a load of tosh American 'Football' is!!!

B

Bostin

I used to really dislike American Football, but a couple of my close mates are really into it. It's been on a few times in the Royal London when we've been out, and I've steadily got into it, and have watched the last few games round at mine with 5 or 6 mates, a few pizza's and some tinny's.

I have to say that I really enjoy watching it now, and I just regret not having got into it at the start of the season as opposed to the end! Like alot of people I used to think it was stop start, but last night's game was really exciting, and was helped by the fact that the BBC had analysis in the breaks as opposed to adverts. Watching it on Sky with that bloody repetitive bald man and cat advert is seriously annoying though!

Not too sure I'd enjoy it as much if I watched it on my own, but as a group event I think it's great. Really thought the Steelers were going to do it last night too.

T

Toon Wolf

On a single hearing, I don't agree with all of the musical choices she made - but it sounds to me as though she sang it with some passion - and if I was American, I would have been pleased overall.

YouTube - Christina Aguilera Sings National Anthem at Super Bowl XLV

If you listen carefully to some records up to the mid 1960s, you can hear the singer taking breaths. In that performance, Christina did not try to conceal the fact that singers, particularly when delivering power, have to breathe.

Most Americans I know on an American Football forum I go on absolutely hated it and thought it was an insult. It was terrible. And so was the half-time 'entertainment' provided by the Black Eyed Peas. Looked impressive, sounded like a bag of $$$$e...

M

markb

Most Americans I know on an American Football forum I go on absolutely hated it and thought it was an insult. It was terrible. And so was the half-time 'entertainment' provided by the Black Eyed Peas. Looked impressive, sounded like a bag of $$$$e...
Its a flipping song, tell them to get over it! And while your at it, ask which god is referred to in the lyrics and what is a "heav'n-rescued land"?

O

Onlywolf

She is actually one of the best blues singers I've ever heard. Someone lent me a CD yonks ago not telling me who it was. I absolutely refused to believe it was the same person who sang 'Dirty'.

She has an incredible voice if you are into bluesy type stuff and an amazing range of vocals, more than anyone I've ever heard, every bit as good as Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin and other world renowned blues/soul singers - I haven't heard it so maybe she was just having an off night

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the Black Eyed Peas were a bit ropey, but they always have been live.

As for Aguilera, I've just watched it again and I can't see any problem with it whatsoever. Yes she gave up a bit of clarity in return for emotion, but the singing sounded spot on to me.

S

SnowyW

I thought the Black Eyed Peas were a bit ropey, but they always have been live.

As for Aguilera, I've just watched it again and I can't see any problem with it whatsoever. Yes she gave up a bit of clarity in return for emotion, but the singing sounded spot on to me.

Really? I couldn't sit through the whole video...

T

Toon Wolf

TW, I can find plenty of forums to be rude to me, the point is you chose this one to bring the subject up.

I think you'll find that I'm not the one who brought the subject up. I responded to what someone else said by adding to the discussion. That's how these forum things work...

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Managed to get to the first 5 of the 3rd quarter and turned in. Apart from Aguilera's warblings and Slash being trundled out I enjoyed what I watched. I'm not a big fan of American Football, but I do try and watch Superbowel.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an American, I do apologize for that half-time show. I really am. The Black Eyed Peas are NOT the best we have to offer, but the organizers want "hip" and they got it.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently she got some of the words wrong, capital offence!!

Just read the Green pay mob aren`t one of the super rich clubs but run by the community and a not for profit organisation and have some sort of exemption of NFL rules, not being a fan of it I haven`t got a clue..

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed , & pretty much what you'd expect if you booked Xtina for the gig.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn't the words she got wrong that I thought was so bad - it's the constant screeching and that ridiculous over-the-top warbling that she was trying to do that just murdered the song IMO...

I have listened to a lot of her stuff, and have always thought she has a fantastic voice - but she just went too far on this for me - it was just noise.... for me at least...

T

Toon Wolf

Agreed, she sang it well, it's just the arrangement was bloody terrible.

J

Jack Bauer

Apparently she got some of the words wrong, capital offence!!

Just read the Green pay mob aren`t one of the super rich clubs but run by the community and a not for profit organisation and have some sort of exemption of NFL rules, not being a fan of it I haven`t got a clue..

Yeah, they are run by the fans which is against NFL rules but they were run like it before the rule came in.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, they are run by the fans which is against NFL rules but they were run like it before the rule came in.

Thanks Jack, does that mean only the mega rich are allowed to run a American football club, so much for democracy in the land of the free, makes a farce of the song those rules.

I really dislike that sort of $$$$ specially when it`s preceded by a song about the Freedom the USA gives, wot a load of $$$$$$$$:mad: hypocrisy is alive and well..

Bromsgrove_Wolf

Reaction score
Managed to get to the first 5 of the 3rd quarter and turned in. Apart from Aguilera's warblings and Slash being trundled out I enjoyed what I watched. I'm not a big fan of American Football, but I do try and watch Superbowel.

I'm just surprised nobody has picked up on this. It sounds like a superhero who spends his day saving people with IBS. Apart from that, I have no interest in egg chasing, let alone egg chasing whilst wearing crash helmets, carrying towels and wearing cheese hats.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks Jack, does that mean only the mega rich are allowed to run a American football club, so much for democracy in the land of the free, makes a farce of the song those rules.

I really dislike that sort of $$$$ specially when it`s preceded by a song about the Freedom the USA gives, wot a load of $$$$$$$$:mad: hypocrisy is alive and well..

Are you saying the mega rich don't also own football clubs in England? Or all over the world?

It's all sports. :rolleyes:

J

Jack Bauer

Only individual owners are allowed apparently, corporations aren't allowed to own teams or large groups.

But virtually every football club in Britain is owned by a rich individual or individuals so there's not a great deal of difference.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you saying the mega rich don't also own football clubs in England? Or all over the world?

It's all sports. :rolleyes:

Only individual owners are allowed apparently, corporations aren't allowed to own teams or large groups.

But virtually every football club in Britain is owned by a rich individual or individuals so there's not a great deal of difference.

But AFAIK we don`t have rules that specifically will not allow a community run club, Barcelona anyone..we do have some in this country after some went to the wall and were rescued.

So a mega rich individual can own a club, how the $$$$ did he become mega rich, owning a corporation maybe, another example of how capitalism slants the rules in its favour.

They could have a rule of no corporations but allow communities to run one as they do allowing Green Bay at the moment..

If the PL had a rule like that it really would be the end of football as we know it.

J

Jack Bauer

But AFAIK we don`t have rules that specifically will not allow a community run club, Barcelona anyone..we do have some in this country after some went to the wall and were rescued.

So a mega rich individual can own a club, how the $$$$ did he become mega rich, owning a corporation maybe, another example of how capitalism slants the rules in its favour.

They could have a rule of no corporations but allow communities to run one as they do allowing Green Bay at the moment..

If the PL had a rule like that it really would be the end of football as we know it.

Aren't all PL clubs run by wealthy individuals?

Back
Top Bottom