Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer War Chest?

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ah war chest...how much could we spend in light of the Costa deal in la summer time? Will FFP be affected?

Before some get their knickers in a twist about not having to spend 100million it's an idea for what we have available. Might give some indication on sort of improvements that can be made.

Another 3 first teamers down the spine and I'll be happy. Certainly player improvements will mean they keep places.

Delighted with the recent performances and completely back PL although did from the start.

Fun times

ShifnalWolf

Graphmaster General
Reaction score
I think they will continue with the £2-3m signings Lambert wants with maybe one or two £5-10m signings
No point throwing cash at it al la Villa, as we have seen before it is the team unity (sprinkled with quality) that makes a team successful

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we'll sell some in the summer so we'll recoup a fair bit that we spent last summer (hopefully).

Think we'll be more smart in our recruitment in the summer as well, no excuse not to find a quality striker, CM & CB (if we're giving up on Williamson). Think FOSUN have shown that for the right player, we'll find the money for him.

Lambert has said himself the summer window is the big one, so fingers crossed we back him properly.

D

Deleted member 4008

The great thing at the moment is the young lads coming through. I just hope we get 3/4 first team signings in the summer. A proven striker is a must and a real quality CM to dictate the play. Price and Edwards have been good but I think we are still just missing something in the middle.
Also a CD that is commanding to work with the younger lads. Stearman is ok but If we could get that quality CD then the away games become that little easier knowing you have a star man at the back rallying the troops.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard it all before we won't spend over 20m look at what we have to move on first

W

WasStefan

Looks like they are not bothered re FFP which I am surprised at given what theyve been saying about being self sustainable etc

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the signs so far, it is obvious that Lambert is a great coach as well as a manager. Its quite obvious that he has significantly improved this team tactically with (realistically) the same players that Zenga had at his disposal. IMO this is none more so with Evans and Saville - both of whom I have never really been overly impressed with - somehow Lambert seems to have improved them as players. You can even say that about Batth.

So if given the funds in the summer I can see him spending it wisely - maybe 3-4 players max. He will continue to blood the best of our youth and will be interesting to see who is next off the production line - deemed good enough to go straight into the 1st team squad.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need 5 players personally. A keeper, 2 quality centre halves, a midfielder who can take control of games, and a goal threat up front. We have enough here to play a good supporting cast to a strong spine.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last summer they promised around £20-30m invested in the next 2 years. Half of that was spent last summer and I imagine the rest will be spent this summer. I would hazard a guess anything between £10-20m.

I dont actually include the Costa or possibly even the Cavaleiro deal in the above btw before someone accuses me of miscalculation.

The reason I do not is because I think that is a purchase that was ringfenced or should I say more of an investment between fosun/Gestifute, and he is their client so to speak. I am not convinced we truly "own" them in the true sense of the word. But of course we benefit them playing for us, even if it is short-term and I expect us to keep tapping into the Mendes system even when Cav/Costa do move on, which I suspect will be in the next 12 months imo.

M

Mr Wolf

We will need to spend big on a centre forward unless we get a quality loan in. I think Tammy Abraham would fit that loan role very well alongside Cav & Costa.

I don't care about sentiment, if Evans, Saville, Coady etc are not what we need upgrade them.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guys please read about FFP it goes on past 3 seasons we can make a loss of 39m

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

We can spend it doesn't matter yet

Yes, we can lose £39m over three years, and that excludes expenditure on infrastructure and the academy. I was also surprised to learn that transfer fee can be amortised over the lifetime of the contract. I am not an accountant, but my interpretation of that is Costa's £13m fee is for the purposes of FFP just £3.2m per year of his 4-year deal.

My guess is we will off-load a few in the summer, including the likes of Iorfa and invest again. If all these transfer fees are amortised over the life of the contract then we are a long way from losing £39m over three years - you can bet we broke even under the last year of Jez!

We need a 20 goal a season striker, left back, and a centre-half and with the development of the likes of Ronan, Bright, and the young keeper we have a good shot at the top six next season.

I think we will probably finish about 10th with a good run.

D

Deleted member 4594

Last summer they promised around £20-30m invested in the next 2 years. Half of that was spent last summer and I imagine the rest will be spent this summer. I would hazard a guess anything between £10-20m.

I dont actually include the Costa or possibly even the Cavaleiro deal in the above btw before someone accuses me of miscalculation.

The reason I do not is because I think that is a purchase that was ringfenced or should I say more of an investment between fosun/Gestifute, and he is their client so to speak. I am not convinced we truly "own" them in the true sense of the word. But of course we benefit them playing for us, even if it is short-term and I expect us to keep tapping into the Mendes system even when Cav/Costa do move on, which I suspect will be in the next 12 months imo.
They've already spent 30 million.
4 quality additions and we'll have a great chance.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£5-10m on a proven striker
£3-4m on a proven, commanding centre back

Then I'd be happy. Think Lambert is getting the best out of most of these players and will continue to do so, but we need a solid, organised defence and a striker who can get on the end of crosses and finish.

W

we8wba

We need at least two goalscoring strikers and quality cm before even consider a push

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope to see this XI put out before the end of the season:

Ikeme

Iorfa___Batth___Hause___Doc

Price___Evans

Gibbs-White___Ronan____Graham

Enobakhare
Has anyone ever put out a team consisting 100% of players that have come through the ranks?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, we can lose £39m over three years, and that excludes expenditure on infrastructure and the academy. I was also surprised to learn that transfer fee can be amortised over the lifetime of the contract. I am not an accountant, but my interpretation of that is Costa's £13m fee is for the purposes of FFP just £3.2m per year of his 4-year deal.

My guess is we will off-load a few in the summer, including the likes of Iorfa and invest again. If all these transfer fees are amortised over the life of the contract then we are a long way from losing £39m over three years - you can bet we broke even under the last year of Jez!

We need a 20 goal a season striker, left back, and a centre-half and with the development of the likes of Ronan, Bright, and the young keeper we have a good shot at the top six next season.

I think we will probably finish about 10th with a good run.

Where's Iorfa going without regular football?

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Ikeme

Price___Evans

Enobakhare
Has anyone ever put out a team consisting 100% of players that have come through the ranks?

It's stretching it to say Hause, Iorfa, Evans, Ronan and Graham came through the ranks. You could even argue Doherty isn't really a youth team product.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's stretching it to say Hause, Iorfa, Evans, Ronan and Graham came through the ranks. You could even argue Doherty isn't really a youth team product.

Yeah, I know. Hence why I didn't say 'academy graduates'!

All have effectively started out in our development squad, so 'came through the ranks' was stretching it, but still just about works.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Hence why I didn't say 'academy graduates'!

All have effectively started out in our development squad, so 'came through the ranks' was stretching it, but still just about works.

I do agree it would be good to have a youthful team, but sprinkled with a little stardust.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We must get in a proven goalscorer (or two). That could be any figure you care to mention but say £6m - £10m. Plus a quality loanee? A Sam Gallagher if he was available would probably be £8m? Ashley Fletcher £4m? A Mendes loanee or two of some kind perhaps unless PL insists on abandoning that route for players. Apart from a striker or two Lambert's priorities will be a new CB, cover at LB and possibly an experienced back up goalie unless Burgoyne is going to be trusted. Midfield? Goodness knows. To bring in a player of quality a couple might have to leave with Evans, Saville, Price and Saiss vulnerable and Prince almost certainly leaving. Weimann presumably will be signed up and perhaps Stearman, at which point Ebanks might well be moved on.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do agree it would be good to have a youthful team, but sprinkled with a little stardust.

Yeah completely. A lot of those players would be good backup options. But great to have our own coming through as those options.

W

WasStefan

Creative accounting can satisfy FFP just look at MC's owner (different level acknowledged). Sponsorship, advertising etc. into the kitty.
I was thinking more elaborate than that. Whats stopping a club sign a player for a nominal fee but a third party (Mendes' company' part owned by FOSUN) paying a larger fee to old club?

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was thinking more elaborate than that. Whats stopping a club sign a player for a nominal fee but a third party (Mendes' company' part owned by FOSUN) paying a larger fee to old club?

3rd party ownership is illegal in the UK.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ikeme

Price___Evans

Enobakhare

Headline in Guess and Stir: "Costa dropped. Hands in transfer request."

E

Essex Wolf

I think they will continue with the £2-3m signings Lambert wants with maybe one or two £5-10m signings
No point throwing cash at it al la Villa, as we have seen before it is the team unity (sprinkled with quality) that makes a team successful
This sounds the way to go.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will need to spend big on a centre forward unless we get a quality loan in. I think Tammy Abraham would fit that loan role very well alongside Cav & Costa.

I don't care about sentiment, if Evans, Saville, Coady etc are not what we need upgrade them.

He would be my first choice striker if he's available next season. He won't get a look in at Chelsea but just hope a PL club doesn't take a punt on him. A season long loan for him would be great business.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The talk of a proven goalscorer is all very well and commendable, but where the hell are they?

D

Deleted member 5242

I can never get my head around the figure brandishing, "we need to spend this much for it to be a good signing".

You can quite easily spend 10 million on a flop

The cost isn't the be all and end all.

M

Mr Wolf

He would be my first choice striker if he's available next season. He won't get a look in at Chelsea but just hope a PL club doesn't take a punt on him. A season long loan for him would be great business.
He could move here, lead the line & play every week. If he moves to the Premier League he's going to be a bit part player in a struggling team you would expect.

Shoukd bring his bloody mate Loftus-Cheek also because he's played less games than he should have at his age, look at Deli Alli compared to him.

W

WasStefan

3rd party ownership is illegal in the UK.
My scenario wasnt 3rd party ownership. The player is contracted to the club who pay a nominal fee, not a third party.

Given Mendes links with FOSUN, Wolves and Benfica is it unthinkable that FOSUN/Gestifute pay a supplement to Benfica through Gestifutes books and therefore 0 to do with Wolves accounts.

M

Mr Wolf

I think Crewe have put a team of 11 academy players out before, could be wrong though.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could move here, lead the line & play every week. If he moves to the Premier League he's going to be a bit part player in a struggling team you would expect.

Shoukd bring his bloody mate Loftus-Cheek also because he's played less games than he should have at his age, look at Deli Alli compared to him.

I agree, whether its possible or feasible that we can/get a chance to is another.

If we could get both, on loan or permanent, we've strengthened immensely & straight down the spine too.

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A goalscoring striker is so important. It all depends on that whether anything happens regarding promotion.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at previous Lambert team's he likes a forward with a physical presence (the like of Holt, Benteke or Graham) which explains the interest in Hugill at Preston. A real goalscorer is also surely required (Mendes sourced perhaps).
Think he'll bring in a goalie (sure we've been linked with Ruddy at Norwich) and a centre half. We've got a lot of midfielders and with Ronans emergence we may feel we don't need another.
It will be interesting to see what Fosun do to raise funds.

Back
Top Bottom