Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa rumoured to offer Tarkowski 120k a week.
People may scorn and laugh at them but that's 10 million for 2 years. 10 million for an established PL defender.

Don't get me wrong. I like our vision of going for young and talented players and don't want us to sign Tarkowski

Bur we paid 10 million for Hoever...

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The big 6 will always spend money

Newcastle are owned by saudis so just a play thing

Villa spent 100 million last summer to finish 14th

Clubs always spend and yet we finished above those clubs excluding spurs and Chelsea

Let the window play out just because those advertising money are linked to every man and their dog, let them spend their money. Then judge it on the pitch transfer are a risk.

Absolutely spot on my friend.

It is human nature to think someone else's investment is going to give success, but there are loads of examples where spending big does not always equate to final league position. I think wages are a better indicator - we were 9th in the wages table and finished 10th

I have to admit I got unnerved by "Fulham doing bits" saga - on paper those signings looked first class and it had me worried.

But I am really worried about this coming season because we are losing too many experienced and quality players, but lets see where we are at the end of the window.

Its not in anyone's interest - Mendes or Fosun's to get relegated so I do expect Mendes to pull a few rabbits our of hats to keep the gravy flowing.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People may scorn and laugh at them but that's 10 million for 2 years. 10 million for an established PL defender.

Don't get me wrong. I like our vision of going for young and talented players and don't want us to sign Tarkowski

They'll also pay £50M for Danny Ings over the life of his contract.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, agree, £10m for 2 years with no transfer fee on the face of it looks decent. But it's not long-term planning. It's more of a Man United approach.

What happens when a good (but limited) player like Tarkowski comes in and earns that level? It makes him one of Villa's best paid players.

What does it do to players like Matty Cash, John McGinn, Tyrone Mings, Ollie Watkins, who are all on a lot less than that, but whose contribution to the team could be more?

Longer term, it creates divisions. Them and us. And it makes your overall wage bill a lot higher than it should be when contract renegotiations start.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, agree, £10m for 2 years with no transfer fee on the face of it looks decent. But it's not long-term planning. It's more of a Man United approach.

What happens when a good (but limited) player like Tarkowski comes in and earns that level? It makes him one of Villa's best paid players.

What does it do to players like Matty Cash, John McGinn, Tyrone Mings, Ollie Watkins, who are all on a lot less than that, but whose contribution to the team could be more?

Longer term, it creates divisions. Them and us. And it makes you overall wage bill a lot higher than it should be when contract renegotiations start.
Yes exactly..... tarkowski, coutinho and Kamara all being the highest earners isn't gonna do squad harmony much good....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa are acting like a Newcastle but without the hype.

They’re building a fantastic squad that should be capable of pushing the top six.

The only problem I maybe see for them is Gerrard, not sure he’s at that level.

But can’t knock them for what they’ve done. The sort of owners everyone would want.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But can’t knock them for what they’ve done. The sort of owners everyone would want.

I feel the complete opposite. Everton's owners, Villa's owners are exactly the sort of owners I don't want.

The Abramovich approach, the City approach of coming in and throwing money at it just doesn't work any more.

Like Villa, Everton, Newcastle (for now), we can't compete with the big boys in terms of spending, despite how rich our owners are, because we are limited by our turnover and FFP rules. So to have owners who recognise that you have to do things slightly differently is refreshing and longer term, will be more successful.

The reason Newcastle did so well in the second half of the season wasn't only because of money, it was down to specific, targeted recruitment. Everyone laughed when they signed Dan Burn, but he was perfect for where they were, as were all the other players they brought in. The key reason Newcastle worry me isn't their money, it's the recruitment of people like Dan Ashworth as Director of Football.

Then at the other end of the spectrum, you have Everton throwing money at Dele Alli and Donny van der Beek for a relegation battle. Insanity.

Villa are somewhere in the middle. They got rid of Matt Targett, who went on to be great for Newcastle, and signed Digne, who was injury prone and generally poor.

These models might have some element of short-term success, but if the cycle of players you bring in doesn't work over and over again, after a few years your resources are very limited due to previous overspending (as Everton have now found). You end up with a squad of very average players, on very over-inflated salaries and no way of shifting them or buying better players.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa are acting like a Newcastle but without the hype.

They’re building a fantastic squad that should be capable of pushing the top six.

The only problem I maybe see for them is Gerrard, not sure he’s at that level.

They had a worse second half to the season that we had?

As for Gerrard I completely agree. He’s not all that.

The fantastic squad I fail to see too.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel the complete opposite. Everton's owners, Villa's owners are exactly the sort of owners I don't want.

The Abramovich approach, the City approach of coming in and throwing money at it just doesn't work any more.

Like Villa, Everton, Newcastle (for now), we can't compete with the big boys in terms of spending, despite how rich our owners are, because we are limited by our turnover and FFP rules. So to have owners who recognise that you have to do things slightly differently is refreshing and longer term, will be more successful.

The reason Newcastle did so well in the second half of the season wasn't only because of money, it was down to specific, targeted recruitment. Everyone laughed when they signed Dan Burn, but he was perfect for where they were, as were all the other players they brought in. The key reason Newcastle worry me isn't their money, it's the recruitment of people like Dan Ashworth as Director of Football.

Then at the other end of the spectrum, you have Everton throwing money at Dele Alli and Donny van der Beek for a relegation battle. Insanity.

Villa are somewhere in the middle. They got rid of Matt Targett, who went on to be great for Newcastle, and signed Digne, who was injury prone and generally poor.

These models might have some element of short-term success, but if the cycle of players you bring in doesn't work over and over again, after a few years your resources are very limited due to previous overspending (as Everton have now found). You end up with a squad of very average players, on very over-inflated salaries and no way of shifting them or buying better players.
Good post this. Totally agree with it while yes I feel we could invest a bit more than we have last couple of seasons I do like our approach of buying younger players who see Wolves as a step up and have that hunger to develop and improve (I.e Neto, Ait-Nouri etc).

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But it was only because of money with Newcastle? I get your point that you need to spend wisely but at the end of the day they only survived because they spent £90m in January.

I obviously agree about needing the right approach but I think Villa have that. Their academy is ridiculously good. They have a good balance in terms of the age in the squad, they’re improving the stadium and they’re making some major signings, Kamara the latest. I think they’re doing everything right.

People cling on to Everton & Fulham but they’re extreme examples and not reflective of the bigger picture.

Like every league in the world, the Premier League will generally have the rich clubs at the top and the poor ones at the bottom. Unfortunately we now have to be classed as a poor club in this context and in comparison to our competitors.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They had a worse second half to the season that we had?

As for Gerrard I completely agree. He’s not all that.

The fantastic squad I fail to see too.
They’ve had one eye on next season virtually as soon as Gerrard came in, so won’t judge him too harshly even if I do have the doubts about him.

Big year for his managerial career.

I think they’re a squad that has good depth and quality. The glaring issues appeared DM (Kamara) and centre-back. Linked with Carlos and Bassey today, obviously need to wait until the latter happens but I’d expect high quality defenders to arrive either way.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I obviously agree about needing the right approach but I think Villa have that. Their academy is ridiculously good. They have a good balance in terms of the age in the squad, they’re improving the stadium and they’re making some major signings, Kamara the latest. I think they’re doing everything right.
There's definitely an argument that if you're always planning for the future then you never actually get there. There has to be a balance.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post this. Totally agree with it while yes I feel we could invest a bit more than we have last couple of seasons I do like our approach of buying younger players who see Wolves as a step up and have that hunger to develop and improve (I.e Neto, Ait-Nouri etc).
Dont forget when Neves and Jota joined us they were only just turned 20 too,we have also had Goncalves and Vitinha and others from a very young age,some work others dont, but overall the quality cant be denied

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But it was only because of money with Newcastle? I get your point that you need to spend wisely but at the end of the day they only survived because they spent £90m in January.

People cling on to Everton & Fulham but they’re extreme examples and not reflective of the bigger picture.

Like every league in the world, the Premier League will generally have the rich clubs at the top and the poor ones at the bottom. Unfortunately we now have to be classed as a poor club in this context and in comparison to our competitors.

It wasn't only because of the money. For a club who could probably have spent more if they'd wanted, they brought in the right amount and type of players, for the right prices. They could have offered Alli and van der Beek a lot more than Everton, but they were completely the wrong players.

Is Villa's Academy ridiculously good? Results-wise, our Academy has been head and shoulders above theirs this season. Higher in our u18 league, plus a Youth Cup semi. Promoted from the same U23 league Villa finished 12/14 in.

I suppose Villa's approach will only be tested over time. But I think they are doing some things right, but a lot of things wrong!

Turnover-wise (and therefore spending ability wise), the Premier League has 4 super-rich clubs (turnover roughly 3 times everyone else - Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea), 2 very rich clubs (turnover roughly 2 times everyone else - Spurs and Arsenal) and then everyone else. So everyone else not in those 6 clubs is poor in comparison.

Why would you try and compete with those 6 from a spending perspective? If you try and operate the same way, they will always be ahead.

You have to do things differently to try to achieve similar results.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve had one eye on next season virtually as soon as Gerrard came in, so won’t judge him too harshly even if I do have the doubts about him.

Big year for his managerial career.

I think they’re a squad that has good depth and quality. The glaring issues appeared DM (Kamara) and centre-back. Linked with Carlos and Bassey today, obviously need to wait until the latter happens but I’d expect high quality defenders to arrive either way.
You judge your own team far more harshly!! :)
I thing he is vastly overrated and limited, and a lot of the Rangers fans I know up here felt he lacked the ability to change a game tactically.

My boss admits they wouldn't have had the season they did with him in charge.

I think they waste money - Sanson, Buendia was overpriced, Bailey Ings to name but a few.

I feel the names he attracts are secondary to his ability to form an effective team.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel the names he attracts are secondary to his ability to form an effective team.

Which might be why they use him for this summer to bring the names in, then replace him after a few games!

We maybe have the opposite problem. Bruno Lage and Scott Sellars not exactly the biggest names in football!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn't only because of the money. For a club who could probably have spent more if they'd wanted, they brought in the right amount and type of players, for the right prices. They could have offered Alli and van der Beek a lot more than Everton, but they were completely the wrong players.

Is Villa's Academy ridiculously good? Results-wise, our Academy has been head and shoulders above theirs this season. Higher in our u18 league, plus a Youth Cup semi. Promoted from the same U23 league Villa finished 12/14 in.

I suppose Villa's approach will only be tested over time. But I think they are doing some things right, but a lot of things wrong!

Turnover-wise (and therefore spending ability wise), the Premier League has 4 super-rich clubs (turnover roughly 3 times everyone else - Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea), 2 very rich clubs (turnover roughly 2 times everyone else - Spurs and Arsenal) and then everyone else. So everyone else not in those 6 clubs is poor in comparison.

Why would you try and compete with those 6 from a spending perspective? If you try and operate the same way, they will always be ahead.

You have to do things differently to try to achieve similar results.
But we're never going to actually compete with those clubs? Do you honestly think we will?

It's a bit like Hearts saying they want to catch Celtic and Rangers, or Hoffenheim with Bayern Munich. It's not going to happen.

Also, bringing it back to us, the one potential difference maker that we had was Mendes, who brought in some of his most exciting young players for us that we shouldn't have got (Neves & Jota), then experienced players (Moutinho, Patricio). We're no longer doing that, we're maybe still benefiting with what appears good deals like Chiquinho, but we are no longer making signings like those four above and I presume that's down to finances. Where we would spend big on fees for a Neves/Jota (relatively speaking to where we were) or wages, we aren't doing it.

It's ultimately all down to money and always will be - sadly.

We can come up with good talk in the media and trying things differently, and it is obviously a factor, good scouting/recruitment is key but overall, in this league, the reality is we could all virtually guess roughly where each club will finish before a ball is kicked and it's due to the financial situation of the clubs.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Chelsea have got £200m to spend, ENIC are putting £150m into Spurs; Newcastle will spend as will Villa, Everton, Leeds etc.

Meanwhile we are chasing a 21 year old who played 30 times for Vitoria last season and most won’t have seen or heard of with a manager that makes Saunders look like Fergie, Wenger, Klopp and Pep all rolled into one. It’s like Fosun have suddenly turned into the Venkys. They do realise that our brand value will plummet if/when we get relegated.
Get a grip. Plenty of reasons not to be overly positive at present, but you’re in a fantasy land.
Saunders and Venkys just plain disrespectful.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we're never going to actually compete with those clubs? Do you honestly think we will?

It's a bit like Hearts saying they want to catch Celtic and Rangers, or Hoffenheim with Bayern Munich. It's not going to happen.

Also, bringing it back to us, the one potential difference maker that we had was Mendes, who brought in some of his most exciting young players for us that we shouldn't have got (Neves & Jota), then experienced players (Moutinho, Patricio). We're no longer doing that, we're maybe still benefiting with what appears good deals like Chiquinho, but we are no longer making signings like those four above and I presume that's down to finances. Where we would spend big on fees for a Neves/Jota (relatively speaking to where we were) or wages, we aren't doing it.

We can come up with good talk in the media and trying things differently, and it is obviously a factor, good scouting/recruitment is key but overall, in this league, the reality is we could all virtually guess roughly where each club will finish before a ball is kicked and it's due to the financial situation of the clubs.

Not short term, no.

But the ones we are closest to this season (United) are the ones that have the biggest net spend over the last 10 seasons. So it's not just about money.

If you club structure is wrong, if your off-field structure isn't where it needs to be, no amount of money will help, as United have proven.

But get the long-term plan right and we could compete. It takes an awful lot of luck too and consistently good decision making. Spurs did it over time. Leicester are probably the closest of anyone else. West Ham are giving it a go too.

To compete long-term, there's only one way in my mind that can be done.

Find a way to recruit quality players for less than the big boys are paying in terms of fees and wages, whilst still spending within your means. The Mendes link is our USP and does help us with this, although we have somewhat saturated the players in his stable of the level we can attract.

At the same time, grow your off-field revenues in order to try and close the gap to the big boys. This is where things like the much maligned e-sports branding comes in.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester letting Vesteergard and Soumare go after a year. Two players who where touted to change the world for us.

So much hype on some of these players!
Still think Soumare will be a good player... wonder what they're letting him go for?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I think whilst Sellars and Hobbs are running the clubs scouting network, Jeff shouldn't let them anywhere near the chequebook as they are, quite clearly, rubbish at scouting and buying top level players.

Let them focus on the academy and bringing through the Gibbs-Whites', Cundles' and Giles'.

Shi should only ever look at paying decent money out on Gestifute and Mendes-led deals. Then he should work on whatever is needed to bring the price down- loans to buy, player swaps, money owed for other deals.

But also, and this is key, where required, he should just stump up the cash for their best players.

The only thing we have over Villa, Newcastle, Brighton etc is Gestifute and it should be maximised unashamedly.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We are doing it but some haven't worked out as well as the previous ones

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

I do think that the combination of the Pandemic (inc UK relations with China) and Uefa FFP did have an impact on the original plan. Self sustainability has always been the aim but I'm guessing with the tidal wave of early success we would have invested more in transfers had the steady state continued.

We were seriously in for Ruben Dias until they upped the price at the last minute and were also pursuing Fernandes as well. Only last summer we were in the closing stages of Sanches and Bottman for substantial fees.

I do think for the right player we are prepared to pay a reasonable price but have a limit, even the big boys suffer from this, Mbappe for example.

I would think that we have the funds available for strengthening the first team and investing in prospects regardless of the Neves and Traore situations as Fosun are savvy enough to know they have an asset they won't want to see devalued by a relegation.

My biggest fear is that in Sellars we have a man with a strategy but no discernible plan to deliver it.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Leicester letting Vesteergard and Soumare go after a year. Two players who where touted to change the world for us.

Tbf Leicester fans were in shambles after we signed Trincao as they thought he would do the same for them.

Maybe everyone hypes up other team's signings and that sentiment is often misplaced.

Soumare could still be a decent signing though.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seems even Leicester get it wrong sometimes

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is pathetic the stick Scott Sellers gets but if it wasn't for Jorge we would still be in the championship....

Mendes is such a plus for us, but i think because we have him we are fairly lazy when it comes to recruitment. Like you said, without him, we are still championship. No way to blokes like Sellars and Thelwell before him have the clout to get the likes of Neves and Moutinho to this club.

Reactions: Ian

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I think whilst Sellars and Hobbs are running the clubs scouting network, Jeff shouldn't let them anywhere near the chequebook as they are, quite clearly, rubbish at scouting and buying top level players.

Let them focus on the academy and bringing through the Gibbs-Whites', Cundles' and Giles'.

Shi should only ever look at paying decent money out on Gestifute and Mendes-led deals. Then he should work on whatever is needed to bring the price down- loans to buy, player swaps, money owed for other deals.

But also, and this is key, where required, he should just stump up the cash for their best players.

The only thing we have over Villa, Newcastle, Brighton etc is Gestifute and it should be maximised unashamedly.

Ok so how have you come to in your opinion they are rubbish at scouting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom