Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
22 year old ascending English talent who's just had a season with 12 goals and 10 assists playing as a #10 in the Championship. Consistently been played out of position when he's been with us. I have no idea how some of you are ready to give up on him. There's a very good reason AC Milan/Southampton are interested in signing him.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. The lad quite rightly just wants to play. If we can guarantee a starting place I reckon he would be happy to stay. If not, then he backs himself to find a club where he can start. Palace a good shout. Sad to lose a local boy. Maybe we haven't managed this properly. Good luck to him.
You want to guarantee a player a start every week ! ?
I don't want that kind of player anywhere near my club.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
22 year old ascending English talent who's just had a season with 12 goals and 10 assists playing as a #10 in the Championship. Consistently been played out of position when he's been with us. I have no idea how some of you are ready to give up on him. There's a very good reason AC Milan/Southampton are interested in signing him.
"... in the Championship " is the bit that needs to be addressed

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think people are necessarily giving up on him - the impression I get is that he's more likely to give up on us.

Maybe there are football-related reasons such as not being played in his favourite position, but when you look at where Utd played him, he performed in a variety of positions/roles (the Transfermkt site has info) so I don't think it's merely a positional issue. Maybe it's his partner's influence;maybe the bright lights of the West Midlands have lost their allure; maybe he thinks he's worth more than our new contract offer; all speculation of course.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which other youngsters ?
Mir and Vitinha were mentioned earlier, IIRC. However, both were non-native, Vitinha never really had a settled run in the team, and Mir never seemed to settle here.

We're doing well on retaining and developing youngsters through the Academy, which seems to be being overlooked.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mir and Vitinha were mentioned earlier, IIRC. However, both were non-native, Vitinha never really had a settled run in the team, and Mir never seemed to settle here.

We're doing well on retaining and developing youngsters through the Academy, which seems to be being overlooked.
Perhaps because the "failure" is very high.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think people are necessarily giving up on him - the impression I get is that he's more likely to give up on us.

Maybe there are football-related reasons such as not being played in his favourite position, but when you look at where Utd played him, he performed in a variety of positions/roles (the Transfermkt site has info) so I don't think it's merely a positional issue. Maybe it's his partner's influence;maybe the bright lights of the West Midlands have lost their allure; maybe he thinks he's worth more than our new contract offer; all speculation of course.
Maybe he's unsure he can become a first team regular at present.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This as I see it.
It hard to say anything else with us not knowing exact what´s going on.
Demanding a starting place is of course out of the question.This said that IF MGW continues on his fine form showcased at Blades in the Championship,he has every chance of holding down a starting place..on his own merits so to speak..and especially if Neves and Mouts is leaving the club.
There seems to be alot will change regarding central midfield for us(Neves,Moutinho..even Donk could all leave)and a better opportunity for MGW to really prove himself at us is hard to imagine.

I do hope he stays,and he shines when playing.MGW starting has to be based on his own merits though.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we're after a European place and not survival.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's played primarily as a #10/second striker, he's never been able to play that role here because of the system we've played, he's always been stuck out wide. If we switch to Bruno's preferred 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 then I imagine he'd be envisioned as the man behind the centre forward, ala Joao Felix at Benfica (and no I'm not comparing the two before anyone has a fit, just the way they were utilised in the same system).

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's played primarily as a #10/second striker, he's never been able to play that role here because of the system we've played, he's always been stuck out wide. If we switch to Bruno's preferred 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 then I imagine he'd be envisioned as the man behind the centre forward, ala Joao Felix at Benfica (and no I'm not comparing the two before anyone has a fit, just the way they were utilised in the same system).
That is also the position that would suit MGW and Podence.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's 22, that's the bit that needs to be addressed. Why do people think the player we've seen before, in a system that doesn't suit him when he was 20-21, is the final product? He's gaining experience, and thriving in, one of Europe's top leagues. The Championship is easily in that second tier behind the top five leagues.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is also the position that would suit MGW and Podence.

Absolutely the point I'm trying to make. Podence/MGW don't have the pace to excel playing as wingers, their technical ability and skill is what separates them. Impossible to implement that system this year with Coady and Saiss in a back four. It was always damage limitation when the owners wouldn't spend.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people are just not able to believe anything, makes sense though as can’t work out why he’s brought that house, obviously nothing more than a stop gap. Pity but if he ain’t bothered then he’s not got the heart we need

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all about money.

Jimenez up for sale, one of the highest earners.
Saiss leaves and The Athletic confirms it was to do with wages.
Ruddy expected to stay, Lage wants him to stay, it's clearly about wages.
Moutinho a high earner, looks like he's off.
Neves will be a high earner, will be leaving.

Now, I'm not getting into whether these decisions or right or wrong, just pointing out that it's quite obvious what we're doing and it doesn't bode well.

They should just sell us instead of undoing the great work they've done by putting us back to where we started.
Precisely. Part of owning a high priced asset is maintaining its value and Fosun have begun to strip us for parts to keep us afloat enough to pocket tv money and eventually it'll pop. Unpopular opinion but if this is it, I too would rather they sell up. Wolves are valued enough now that it would attract an owner with enough wealth. Fosun have the the wealth but are unwilling for reasons x y z so we are living this weird Chinese Moxey existence which seems like a nightmare.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess the likes of Maddison, Mount, Bowen, Grealish, Olise, Barnes, Eze, Watkins, Guehi, Reece James, Ben White, James Justin, Dewsbury-Hall etc. never had to play a season or more at a lower level before becoming established premier league players then? And that’s just a a couple from the last few seasons off the top of my head, can even throw in the likes of Danjuma who got picked up by Villareal from Bournemouth and helped them get to the semi final of the champions league this season..

To discard MGW, without giving him another chance, because he’s “only” had one great season in the championship at 22 is stupidity beyond belief.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

I guess the likes of Maddison, Mount, Bowen, Grealish, Olise, Barnes, Eze, Watkins, Guehi, Reece James, Ben White, James Justin, Dewsbury-Hall etc. never had to play a season or more at a lower level before becoming established premier league players then? And that’s just a a couple from the last few seasons off the top of my head, can even throw in the likes of Danjuma who got picked up by Villareal from Bournemouth and helped them get to the semi final of the champions league this season..

To discard MGW, without giving him another chance, because he’s “only” had one great season in the championship at 22 is stupidity beyond belief.
Slight difference especially if you apparently don’t want to play for your parent club though. If he wanted to stay yes if not there’s not a lot than can be done apart from forcing him to stay which would be financially stupid.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And then probably moan in the next breath about wolves never signing any up and coming talent from the domestic leagues!

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

All rumours point to it being more a case of MGW discarding Wolves. Why keep an uninterested player until the last year of his contract when we could sell for a good fee + sell on clause now, funding the purchase of players who are interested in playing for us?

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same as our players when we got promoted, most made the step up and not many had the same stats as MGW. Seems like you're given up on him.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Precisely. Part of owning a high priced asset is maintaining its value and Fosun have begun to strip us for parts to keep us afloat enough to pocket tv money and eventually it'll pop. Unpopular opinion but if this is it, I too would rather they sell up. Wolves are valued enough now that it would attract an owner with enough wealth. Fosun have the the wealth but are unwilling for reasons x y z so we are living this weird Chinese Moxey existence which seems like a nightmare.
So what are you saying exactly?
Fosun are asset stripping,assets they have bought btw?

Just about keeping us afloat? we did finish top half of the Prem

Or is it that for the first time in 3 seasons we are free of FFP restrictions,and they se an opportunity to totally refresh a misfiring team?

I see no evidence of asset stripping at all
Moving on high earners that have passed their sell by date is not unusual just good business sense

Neves possibly Raul,are the only exceptions
One that has ambitions we cant fulfill at this time,and the other who has possibly faded from his best
Both very saleable and hopefully we get as good or better players in

Obviously idk if Fosun will invest strongly this window,but i hope so
Equally you dont any different either,perhaps a bit of faith with owners that have bought us a long long way so far wouldnt go amiss

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Don't get all the digs at MGW. We've got a young talent on our books who hasn't really been given a proloned run in the team. He's a young lad who's made mistakes and whose girlfriend is a bit of a socialite, so what!! We've all made mistakes when we were younger and i'd be more concerned around the covid breaches and party's taking place with members of our elected representatives rather than what MGW did. The abuse he has had because of his girlfriend and his covid breach from some of our fans has been over the top in my opinion. Covid has had a massive impact on my family from which we will never recover, but my anger isn't directed to MGW it's directed to those who made the rules, dictated them to us and were total hypocrites. I compare what MGW did to the indiscretions of other footballers like Grealish and I don't think the Villa fans gave him half the stick that some Wolves fans gave MGW. Add into this he has been in and around the first team, but not given as many chances or playing time as some players who may be inferior, no wonder he doesn't feel wanted or supported.

But if you strip away the emotion from this he went to sheff utd, a club who weren't aware or didn't care about his baggage, they embraced him and allowed him to play by giving him sufficient game time. The results are that his stats in the championship are akin (if not better) than Grealish and Mount, 2 established English internationals who have obtained or are worth significant fees. What MGW needs is for the club to give him a chance, not favourable treatment, but a chance. We should bring him back put an arm around him and give him till at least January to see if he can replicate his form from the championship in the top flight.

To discard such a potential talent without really giving him a chance could be a massive mistake.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't get all the digs at MGW. We've got a young talent on our books who hasn't really been given a proloned run in the team. He's a young lad who's made mistakes and whose girlfriend is a bit of a socialite, so what!! We've all made mistakes when we were younger and i'd be more concerned around the covid breaches and party's taking place with members of our elected representatives rather than what MGW did. The abuse he has had because of his girlfriend and his covid breach from some of our fans has been over the top in my opinion. Covid has had a massive impact on my family from which we will never recover, but my anger isn't directed to MGW it's directed to those who made the rules, dictated them to us and were total hypocrites. I compare what MGW did to the indiscretions of other footballers like Grealish and I don't think the Villa fans gave him half the stick that some Wolves fans gave MGW. Add into this he has been in and around the first team, but not given as many chances or playing time as some players who may be inferior, no wonder he doesn't feel wanted or supported.

But if you strip away the emotion from this he went to sheff utd, a club who weren't aware or didn't care about his baggage, they embraced him and allowed him to play by giving him sufficient game time. The results are that his stats in the championship are akin (if not better) than Grealish and Mount, 2 established English internationals who have obtained or are worth significant fees. What MGW needs is for the club to give him a chance, not favourable treatment, but a chance. We should bring him back put an arm around him and give him till at least January to see if he can replicate his form from the championship in the top flight.

To discard such a potential talent without really giving him a chance could be a massive mistake.
We are not disregarding him, if we have offered him a new deal.......if he signs it , then we will all welcome him

But the rumours are , he doesn't want to sign one and he wants out, whether it's pressure off his girlfriend or he wants a new challenge, none of us nw.....if he wants out , what can the club do......we hung onto adama when he clearly didn't want to be here. And the saga still hasn't ended...if we are offered decent money for Gibbs then there is probably no other option....

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A nightmare? Really??

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

These last several stable years with Fosun seems like a nightmare to you?

and you’d want them to sell? To who and would we get better owners than Fosun?

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

That's a hysterical post even by the hysterical standards of this forum.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not disregarding him, if we have offered him a new deal.......if he signs it , then we will all welcome him

But the rumours are , he doesn't want to sign one and he wants out, whether it's pressure off his girlfriend or he wants a new challenge, none of us nw.....if he wants out , what can the club do......we hung onto adama when he clearly didn't want to be here. And the saga still hasn't ended...if we are offered decent money for Gibbs then there is probably no other option....
Can’t see why people are getting so wound up. As you say we’ve offered him a new contract. If he doesn’t want to be here then we sell. No one’s bigger than the club and no one has a guaranteed place.

He might believe he should have played more for us but to be honest from what I’ve seen of him he has never been worth a starting place for us in place of others we had. He’s had a good season for Sheff Utd and you’d hope he’d come back and fight for a place.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
If MGW is not prepared to sign a new contract beyond his two years then is it a case of him being discarded or more a case that he’s not willing to commit to his boyhood club after they’ve tried everything they can so far to nurture his career.

I hear that he didn’t get on with Nuno but Nuno isn’t here anymore and Lage has come out and said he wants MGW in his 1st team squad so not sure what more the club can do to encourage him to stay.

I would love for MGW to embrace the challenge to establish himself as one of our mainstays but if he won’t commit then can the club risk another situation of ending up with a player with one year left on his contract or do they sell now to command a much higher fee?

I’m just hoping he will sign a new contract and come back to be the player we all hope he can be!!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t see why people are getting so wound up. As you say we’ve offered him a new contract. If he doesn’t want to be here then we sell. No one’s bigger than the club and no one has a guaranteed place.

He might believe he should have played more for us but to be honest from what I’ve seen of him he has never been worth a starting place for us in place of others we had. He’s had a good season for Sheff Utd and you’d hope he’d come back and fight for a place.
Totally agree ...we can all see the lad has something, but some of us can see it hasn't worked here, because he hasn't been good enough (so far)...

We could potentially get guedes for a similar fee to what we can get for Gibbs . ...we would have all took that 12 months ago and laughed if we thought we could do that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom